Stein's all-star selections

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#81 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:22 am

nate33 wrote:In the East, Billups, Butler, Pierce and Bosh are locks. Let's stop talking about them. They're in.

Is Sheed, Jefferson or Bosh considered a C? Otherwise what you're saying is that Big Z is pretty much a lock then too as he's the only other C?
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#82 » by B Mac » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:29 am

KJ7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is Sheed, Jefferson or Bosh considered a C? Otherwise what you're saying is that Big Z is pretty much a lock then too as he's the only other C?

I believe Sheed is considered a C, but Z's stats are better than his anyways.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#83 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:38 am

Not by much B Mac (unless you're going off the pace adjusted). History has tended to suggest that they give teams with the better records more leeway as well. I know this isn't a 4 Pistons situation but it wouldn't surprise me if they went Sheed over Z.

Either way I don't think either is playing at an All-Star level so that's a bit disappointing (lets not bring up Magloire please).
Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#84 » by Teddy KGB » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:46 am

i think that my boy Josh needs some props here:

21/8/2 on 37/46/76 % shooting, playing All NBA caliber defense
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#85 » by The_Believer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:47 am

mitchweber wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

1) I don't think the point of the process is to strategize to win the game, but to pick who deserves to go, within reason.
2) Deron's stats are actually 19-3-9 playing at what I would guess is a considerably slower pace than Baron, and on much better percentages. And passing-lane steals are kind of a meaningless stat.

1. Camby is making a strong case for all-star consideration, with his impressive 14 board and 4 block average. Amare, as usual, is having a great year as well.
2) Deron's assist numbers are inflated by him having the best frontline in the league. And he can't take over games on both ends like Baron can, which is why Baron is a top 10 mvp candidate this year and Deron isn't even top 25 in that matter. Keep in mind that in Nellieball, those "meaningless steals" mean a lot, since Baron is very good at setting up fastbreak points from steals. Also, the Warrior's record >Jazz's despite the deficiency of a post prescense in GS.

Don't get me wrong-Deron is by no means a bad player, but in most people's minds, there are several people ahead of him in the ASG hunt (the Spurs guards, Marion, Roy, etc...). He's just gonna have to wait his turn, once again.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#86 » by Hopper15 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:55 am

I know I probably shouldn't do this, but I'm taking into consideration where the teams are in the playoff race and how many players from a team should go based on that. That's why DWill, Boozer, Josh Smith, et al won't make my list.

Camby won't make the list simply because Denver has two guys as starters already and they're not good enough to get three guys on. If Anthony can't play because of his ankle, then Camby should go. Amare is pathetic on defense, so I'm not giving him the nod either.

West: Chandler, Nowitzki, West, Paul, Nash, Davis, Roy
East: R Wallace, Butler, Bosh, Billups, Calderon, Pierce, Turkoglu
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,522

Post#87 » by pillwenney » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:20 am

The_Believer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

1. Camby is making a strong case for all-star consideration, with his impressive 14 board and 4 block average. Amare, as usual, is having a great year as well.
2) Deron's assist numbers are inflated by him having the best frontline in the league. And he can't take over games on both ends like Baron can, which is why Baron is a top 10 mvp candidate this year and Deron isn't even top 25 in that matter. Keep in mind that in Nellieball, those "meaningless steals" mean a lot, since Baron is very good at setting up fastbreak points from steals. Also, the Warrior's record >Jazz's despite the deficiency of a post prescense in GS.

Don't get me wrong-Deron is by no means a bad player, but in most people's minds, there are several people ahead of him in the ASG hunt (the Spurs guards, Marion, Roy, etc...). He's just gonna have to wait his turn, once again.

1. I acknowledged both in my original post, and one could certainly make a good point for both. I guess you could say that both got cut for me for kind of political reasons. I figured somebody from Utah had to get in, and since it wasn't going to be Deron, it would have to be Boozer. Camby was kind of eliminated because it's just really tough to justify sending 3 guys from a team who is, IIRC 6th in the conference. The decision for Amare came down to him and Howard, and I felt Howard was more deserving. But like I said, one could definitely make arguements for both Amare and Camby.
2. Baron takes over games defensively? I mean really? And sure the steals are helpful to his team, but they don't prove him to be really superior defensively IMO. It's largely a factor of the system they play in.
Baron's not exactly surrounded by slouches.
And I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing. I picked Baron for some of the reasons that you mentioned. But there is a big gap there in assists, and frankly I'd much rather have Deron's scoring considering the rather large difference in efficiency. So I still believe that Deron has better stats, but I still gave the spot to Baron.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,802

Post#88 » by Ayt » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:59 pm

theGreatRC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Btw, you have the gayest avatar i've seen so far..

Don't hate on Dexter. That avy is hilarious considering Dexter's character.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#89 » by Hendrix » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:48 pm

nate33 wrote:In the East, Billups, Butler, Pierce and Bosh are locks. Let's stop talking about them. They're in.

That leaves the final 3 spots. I think with the versatility of the guys above, the final 3 positions don't really matter much. They could bring in 3 more forwards if they want to because Pierce and Butler can play guard and Bosh can play center.

The final three players will be among:

Calderon
Hamilton
Jefferson
Turkaglu
G.Wallace
J.Smith
Jamison
R.Wallace
lgauskas

Just for kicks, here are the pace-adjusted per-40 numbers for these players:

Code: Select all

Player        PTS  REB  AST  STL  BLK   TO eFG%  TS%  PER
calderon,jos 15.9  4.2 11.3  1.4  0.1  2.1 .564 .603 21.9
hamilton,ric 22.6  3.9  5.2  1.2  0.2  2.3 .541 .576 20.1
jefferson,ri 25.0  4.5  3.0  1.0  0.3  2.8 .480 .570 18.6
turkoglu,hed 19.6  6.2  4.4  1.2  0.4  2.9 .502 .556 16.7
wallace,gera 21.8  6.4  3.5  2.3  1.0  3.3 .496 .554 19.0
smith,josh   20.9  9.3  4.1  2.2  3.8  3.8 .446 .509 21.0
jamison,anta 21.9 10.7  1.7  0.9  0.5  1.4 .486 .528 20.1
wallace,rash 16.3  9.5  2.6  1.8  1.9  1.6 .484 .510 16.5
ilgauskas,zy 18.4 12.7  1.7  0.6  1.9  2.4 .485 .535 19.1

Looking at the numbers, I think you have to eliminate Jefferson, Turkaglu and R.Wallace. There's just no reason to take them when other guys with similar roles on winning teams are putting up drastically better numbers.

I also think Gerald Wallace needs to be eliminated because his numbers and impact aren't sufficiently better than his competition to outweigh his poor team record.

That leaves us with 5 players for the last 3 spots:

Jose Calderon
Richard Hamilton
Josh Smith
Antawn Jamison
Zydrunas Ilgauskas

I think there's a fair argument for any of them. I think Jamison is the closest to a lock here because of his team's record, his heavy minute load, and he'll get a little extra credit for being a classy veteran and team leader.

I figure one of Calderon and Hamilton go, but not both. And I think one of Josh Smith and Z go, but not both. If it were up to me, I'd take Hamilton and Z.

Like the analysis. Jamison shoud go, and since they need a center looks like it has to be Big Z.

That comes down to Calderon, and Rip. Out of Calderon, and Hamilton to me it looks like Calderon is superior statisticaly. Blocks, steals, rebounds, TO's are a wash. Calderon is ahead in PER, ahead in on floor efficiency, and efficieny when factoring in free throws. Calderon gets 6 more assists, while Rip gets 6 more points. Personally I'de rather a player have 6 assists (leading to 12-18 team points) then 6 points.

Detroit is winning though so they do deserve 2 players in the ASG more then Toronto. This one seems really close, but I couldn't fault someone going either way. I don't think it's as bad as some people in this thread seem to think it is that Stein picked Calderon.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
About_Blank
Banned User

Post#90 » by About_Blank » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Despite of the Nets Record, Vince Carter is putting better numbers than Ray Allen , Michael Redd, Hamilton , Paul Pierce, etc, etc
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,789

Post#91 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 pm

Hopper15 wrote:I know I probably shouldn't do this, but I'm taking into consideration where the teams are in the playoff race and how many players from a team should go based on that. That's why DWill, Boozer, Josh Smith, et al won't make my list.

Camby won't make the list simply because Denver has two guys as starters already and they're not good enough to get three guys on. If Anthony can't play because of his ankle, then Camby should go. Amare is pathetic on defense, so I'm not giving him the nod either.

West: Chandler, Nowitzki, West, Paul, Nash, Davis, Roy
East: R Wallace, Butler, Bosh, Billups, Calderon, Pierce, Turkoglu

If you feel Denver doesn't deserve 3 players, why cut Camby? He is outplaying the other center candidates by more than Iverson is outplaying the other guard candidates. Send Camby and Carmelo then pick one of the many outstanding guards from another team.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Harry Heinous
Banned User
Location: MIAMI. Home of the champion HEAT * CANES * DOLPHINS * MARLINS

Post#92 » by Harry Heinous » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Camby has been a freakin beast this year, and most years for that matter. So underrated.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#93 » by Hopper15 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:39 pm

penbeast0 wrote:If you feel Denver doesn't deserve 3 players, why cut Camby? He is outplaying the other center candidates by more than Iverson is outplaying the other guard candidates. Send Camby and Carmelo then pick one of the many outstanding guards from another team.

Iverson and Anthony are already in, so nothing you can do there. If I had my druthers, Josh Howard would be in over Anthony, while Ivey and Camby would make it for Denver.
ImissJordan
General Manager
And1: 968

Post#94 » by ImissJordan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:44 pm

About_Blank wrote:Despite of the Nets Record, Vince Carter is putting better numbers than Ray Allen , Michael Redd, Hamilton , Paul Pierce, etc, etc

Um, yeah.....except the thing about that is, all of those players (aside from Redd, whose numbers are comparable to Carters) play on teams with winning records.

Carter does not deserve to make the All-Star team, and you know it.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#95 » by The_Believer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:52 am

mitchweber wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

1. I acknowledged both in my original post, and one could certainly make a good point for both. I guess you could say that both got cut for me for kind of political reasons. I figured somebody from Utah had to get in, and since it wasn't going to be Deron, it would have to be Boozer. Camby was kind of eliminated because it's just really tough to justify sending 3 guys from a team who is, IIRC 6th in the conference. The decision for Amare came down to him and Howard, and I felt Howard was more deserving. But like I said, one could definitely make arguements for both Amare and Camby.
2. Baron takes over games defensively? I mean really? And sure the steals are helpful to his team, but they don't prove him to be really superior defensively IMO. It's largely a factor of the system they play in.
Baron's not exactly surrounded by slouches.
And I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing. I picked Baron for some of the reasons that you mentioned. But there is a big gap there in assists, and frankly I'd much rather have Deron's scoring considering the rather large difference in efficiency. So I still believe that Deron has better stats, but I still gave the spot to Baron.

I was just saying that Deron isn't on the "outside looking in" level anymore, due to the media's obsession with guys like Brandon Roy.

Regarding the defense part, did you see the D BD played on Kobe and Wade this year? He was why the dubs could come back vs. them, despite Baron having a bunch of D-Leaguers and guards on his team.

About the efficient shooting, Ray Ray is a better shooter than Magic, but is he better? (BD's PER is still > Deron's, pace or not adjusted). Also, Baron would average double digit assists easily with the Jazz's monster frontcourt (Booze, AK, Millsap, Okur, etc).

However, I'm with you that the Nugs shouldn't get a quarter of the AS roster (they got two starters :roll:), due to their MASSIVE underachieving.
risktaker91
Banned User

Post#96 » by risktaker91 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:02 am

About_Blank wrote:Despite of the Nets Record, Vince Carter is putting better numbers than Ray Allen , Michael Redd, Hamilton , Paul Pierce, etc, etc

Sorry to tell you but Carter's not going to New Orleans this year.

I don't get it. Kidd's averaging almost a triple double, Jefferson's having an amazing year (probably his best year yet), and Carter's posting 20/5/5...yet the Nets are playing horribly.

Return to The General Board