Most Talent-Rich State in NBA History?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

lmaonade
Senior
And1: 1

Post#21 » by lmaonade » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:06 pm

i think philly would be better than ny
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,737

Post#22 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Unless I'm forgetting a state, Louisiana is without a doubt have the most talented team relative population. What a haven for NBA bigman talent. Malone, Elvin Hayes, Bob Pettit, Parish, Russell and Willis Reed. And they've got some solid guards, too, like Drexler and Dumars.
Bucket! Bucket!
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,726

Post#23 » by fatlever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:50 pm

are you going purely by which state the player was born or by which state each player grew up or which state they played high school ball etc...

example:
mj was born in NY but moved to NC at a young age where he grew up and played jr high and high school ball. you cant really say mj is a product of NY or can you?

same with pete maravich... his father moved around a lot as a coach but pete played jr high and high school ball in NC.
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#24 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Pennsylvania would out score everyone. Maravich, Wilt and Kobe are some of the greatest scorers of all time. And you couldn't double Kobe, or Wilt, because Rasheed and Rip will hit open shots all game.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#25 » by BrewCityBBQ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:15 pm

You forgot Wisconsin's own MVP, Travis Diener
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#26 » by yehyeh82 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:00 am

fatlever wrote:are you going purely by which state the player was born or by which state each player grew up or which state they played high school ball etc...

example:
mj was born in NY but moved to NC at a young age where he grew up and played jr high and high school ball. you cant really say mj is a product of NY or can you?

same with pete maravich... his father moved around a lot as a coach but pete played jr high and high school ball in NC.

He's going by where they were born, because many of these players really grew up in other parts of the country. For example, Bill Russell moved to Oakland at age 8, where he basically learned most all of his basketball skills and played organized ball. That's why I would put him on the California team. The teen years seem to be most important to a basketball players success...
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,965

Post#27 » by cdubbz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:36 am

Team Alaska will win it all.

PG/SG/SF/PF/C - Carlos Boozer
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
yehyeh82
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by yehyeh82 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:45 am

cdubbz wrote:Team Alaska will win it all.

PG/SG/SF/PF/C - Carlos Boozer

Trajan Langdon might get some play...he spent a little time in the nba, right?
Bill Walton after comparing a Lebron dunk to Angel Falls wrote: Now that is a big waterfall and that was a big throwdown
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#29 » by DH34Phan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:07 am

PG: Devin Harris
SG: Terry Porter
SF: Latrell Sprewell
PF: Caron Butler
C: Chris Mihm

6th Man: Fred Brown or Travis Diener

Badger State......
writerman
Banned User

Not so damned fast, young'un! 

Post#30 » by writerman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:33 am

HumbleBumbleBee wrote:NY and I dont think its close

Ohio

C - Nate Thurmond, HOF
PF - Jerry Lucas, HOF/Charles Oakley/Wayne Embry/Brian Grant
SF - LeBron James/Gus Johnson/Ron Harper
SG - John Havlicek, HOF/Michael Redd/Jim Jackson
PG - Norm Van Lier/Howie Komives/Eric Snow/Antonio Daniels

I'll take this Ohio group in their primes against your NY bunch...and actually I think the Pennsylvania and Louisiana groups are better too...

Thurmond, James, Johnson, and Snow all came from one medium-sized city--Akron. Per capita for great players, Akron alone has NYC beat all to hell and back...
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Re: Not so damned fast, young'un! 

Post#31 » by Gordon Bombay » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:03 am

writerman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ohio

C - Nate Thurmond, HOF
PF - Jerry Lucas, HOF/Charles Oakley/Wayne Embry/Brian Grant
SF - LeBron James/Gus Johnson/Ron Harper
SG - John Havlicek, HOF/Michael Redd/Jim Jackson
PG - Norm Van Lier/Howie Komives/Eric Snow/Antonio Daniels

I'll take this Ohio group in their primes against your NY bunch...and actually I think the Pennsylvania and Louisiana groups are better too...

Thurmond, James, Johnson, and Snow all came from one medium-sized city--Akron. Per capita for great players, Akron alone has NYC beat all to hell and back...

thats right baby...roo town - my city

too bad thurmond and johnson's central hower school does not exist anymore (oh and technically snow is from canton...its like 20 miles away)

definitely not a bad showing for the buckeye state
Flite
Starter
And1: 2

Post#32 » by Flite » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:58 am

yehyeh82 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He's going by where they were born, because many of these players really grew up in other parts of the country. For example, Bill Russell moved to Oakland at age 8, where he basically learned most all of his basketball skills and played organized ball. That's why I would put him on the California team. The teen years seem to be most important to a basketball players success...

I went by birthplaces, because if I move guys like Michael, Carmelo and Russell to the places they grew up, there are probably coutnless others with the same story that I don't know about. That's why I just left it.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#33 » by bleu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:01 am

Wow. Illinois has really had a lot of tallent come out of it.

Return to The General Board