How much will Jose Calderon make this offseason?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#41 » by girlygirl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:17 pm

He's not going to get $11 million/year for playing at a high level for one season. Owners can't be that stupid....can they? He should get offers in the $7-$8 million/range. Maybe up to $9 million/year, but even that's risky for a guy who wasn't great in his first 2 NBA seasons before breaking out this year.

We all have horror stories about guys who were great in their contract year, then came thudding back to earth once they got paid. I think Calderon will continue to be very good as his career progresses, but the reality is that he's putting up 12 PPG and 8.5 APG and he is a below average defender -- is he really worth superstar $$$? I really like Calderon, but I still have my doubts that he's worth that type of dough...
Kosta
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#42 » by Kosta » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:40 pm

girlygirl wrote:He's not going to get $11 million/year for playing at a high level for one season. Owners can't be that stupid....can they? He should get offers in the $7-$8 million/range. Maybe up to $9 million/year, but even that's risky for a guy who wasn't great in his first 2 NBA seasons before breaking out this year.

We all have horror stories about guys who were great in their contract year, then came thudding back to earth once they got paid. I think Calderon will continue to be very good as his career progresses, but the reality is that he's putting up 12 PPG and 8.5 APG and he is a below average defender -- is he really worth superstar $$$? I really like Calderon, but I still have my doubts that he's worth that type of dough...

It's too bad coaches and G'M's around the league don't think like you, because then I know we'd get him for a real bargain.

In reality, we're going to have to shell out around 10 per to keep him around. 5/50 sounds about right. If he makes the all-star game continues to play this way, he could go for a little more.

Btw, Calderon was very good in his sophomore season, he just didn't get enough playing time. I think it's safe to say we can calculate his per-40 numbers from last season and we'd get what he's doing this season with the minutes.

One thing we have going for us is that it's likely he won't sign any offer sheet with the current teams that have the cap to make a run at him. So we won't have to match some ridiculous deal. We just have to offer him something fair and respectable.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,493

Post#43 » by coldfish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 am

girlygirl wrote:He's not going to get $11 million/year for playing at a high level for one season. Owners can't be that stupid....can they? He should get offers in the $7-$8 million/range. Maybe up to $9 million/year, but even that's risky for a guy who wasn't great in his first 2 NBA seasons before breaking out this year.

Calderon had a PER of 19.1 last year and now 21.7 this year. This isn't a flash in the pan.

As a starter, he is putting up 14, 4 and 10 on 51%fg and 43%3p. Those are star numbers.

Last year, I thought Calderon was a fluke. He has convinced me otherwise this year.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,108

Post#44 » by Schad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:07 am

coldfish wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Calderon had a PER of 19.1 last year and now 21.7 this year. This isn't a flash in the pan.

As a starter, he is putting up 14, 4 and 10 on 51%fg and 43%3p. Those are star numbers.

Last year, I thought Calderon was a fluke. He has convinced me otherwise this year.

Even as a Raps fan, I was uncertain entering this season whether his per minute production would remain consistent if he played 30+ minutes per game. This year, his assist rate has risen slightly, and his scoring rate has dropped by a similar margin...consistent with a guy that is no longer matching up with back-ups, but has more scoring options at his disposal. I don't expect his numbers to drop significantly.

For those who love advanced stats, his 'win shares' were at 6.0 above average last season (great for a guy that played half the game), and are at 5.5 this year. By that metric, he is barely behind Bosh in terms of value.
**** your asterisk.
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#45 » by girlygirl » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 am

There aren't going to be a lot of teams in position to offer him a lot of $$$, are there? I thought I read that only a couple of teams are going to be under the salary cap in the offseason.
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#46 » by JD225 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:27 am

Yeah, there's very little chance in my opinion Jose signs with another team. I think his value might be largely influenced by his playoff performance. Pretty much expecting 8-10 Million per season.

There was some Spanish poster who posted some interview with Jose which he said something about not playing on a bad team even if he got the offer of 12 Million a season. The one thing I just cannot see is him going back to the bench under that new contract. Someone is getting moved.

Wish we didn't spend that money on Kapono though. :banghead:
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#47 » by Charlie78 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 am

If Rashard Lewis can get a max deal with only one team in the running anything is possible.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#48 » by Rocky5000 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 am

I'd say there's less than a 10% chance he ends up in Toronto. Teams can't afford to hold on to 2 top-flight point guards. Even if they could, it doesn't make sense for the Raptors. 2 of their 3 best players play the same position, how much sense does that make? If they sign Calderon for the suggested amount, Calderon and Ford will be #2 and #3 on the Raptors payroll. A S&T is a real possibility. Perhaps the Raptors can get a good C or SF in return and improve their starting lineup. If the Raptors choose not to deal, other teams with a real need for a point guard will overpay to the point where the price becomes prohibitively expensive for the raps. Are you really going to pay $8-9M for a backup point guard?
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#49 » by cb4_89 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:29 am

Rocky5000 wrote:I'd say there's less than a 10% chance he ends up in Toronto. Teams can't afford to hold on to 2 top-flight point guards. Even if they could, it doesn't make sense for the Raptors. 2 of their 3 best players play the same position, how much sense does that make? If they sign Calderon for the suggested amount, Calderon and Ford will be #2 and #3 on the Raptors payroll. A S&T is a real possibility. Perhaps the Raptors can get a good C or SF in return and improve their starting lineup. If the Raptors choose not to deal, other teams with a real need for a point guard will overpay to the point where the price becomes prohibitively expensive for the raps. Are you really going to pay $8-9M for a backup point guard?

Yes. Yes we are. Why would we let him go? There is no way in hell Colangelo lets him go.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,350

Post#50 » by amcoolio » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:36 am

Bobcats offer him 11m/y deal with incentives.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Shak23
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#51 » by Shak23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:57 am

similar contract to tj ford
Brezec = Euro Oakley
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#52 » by whoknows » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 am

Since TJ return and long term play time is questionable, I'd say he will sign with Raps to whatever it takes to get him.
CB4 & Jose really click lately, CB4 looks really happy to be around JC.

Although I wish TJ will be back 100%, I believe that when/if BC has to choose, he'll keep Jose and trade TJ. Would be great to keep both PG, but since Roko seems to be here next year, most likely BC is preparing for the 2009 season (Raps mark to become a contender).
AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#53 » by AKBlazerFan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 am

If they resign Calderon i would imagine they will look to trade TJ. Either way it would seem as if there will be a good PG on the market this off season.
ss-wiish!
Senior

Post#54 » by ss-wiish! » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 am

Shak23 wrote:similar contract to tj ford

:nod: I'm sure all raptors fans would be happy with that.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,301

Post#55 » by SA37 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:11 pm

If I am Toronto, I would sit Calderon down and show him the following contracts:

Kirk Hinrich (5-years, $47.5 million)
Chauncy Billups (5-years, $60 million)
Mo Williams (6-years, $52 million)
Steve Nash (6-years, $66 million)
Tony Parker (6-years, $66 million)

The average per-year salary for these guards is about $10 million per year. The average starting salary, roughly, is about 8.5 million.

As a pg, I would rate him behind Paul, Williams, Billups, B. Davis, Kidd, Nash, and Arenas.

So, I would offer 5-years, $45 million, which averages $9 million per year (150% of the average NBA salary), is comparable with other top pgs, and has a starting salary of $8 million per year (125% greater than the MLE).

If I am Calderon, I would accept that contract offer but would ask for there to be a player option after the 3rd season. I would even be willing to take slightly less to get the option, something like 5-years, $35-40 million.(He
zmac-
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#56 » by zmac- » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:27 pm

Colangelo is possibly the best current GM i think, so he'll figure something out and most likely it will be the right decision.
D-Dub Lonte. My man.
Kosta
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#57 » by Kosta » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:48 pm

SA37 wrote:If I am Toronto, I would sit Calderon down and show him the following contracts:

Kirk Hinrich (5-years, $47.5 million)
Chauncy Billups (5-years, $60 million)
Mo Williams (6-years, $52 million)
Steve Nash (6-years, $66 million)
Tony Parker (6-years, $66 million)

The average per-year salary for these guards is about $10 million per year. The average starting salary, roughly, is about 8.5 million.

As a pg, I would rate him behind Paul, Williams, Billups, B. Davis, Kidd, Nash, and Arenas.

So, I would offer 5-years, $45 million, which averages $9 million per year (150% of the average NBA salary), is comparable with other top pgs, and has a starting salary of $8 million per year (125% greater than the MLE).

If I am Calderon, I would accept that contract offer but would ask for there to be a player option after the 3rd season. I would even be willing to take slightly less to get the option, something like 5-years, $35-40 million.(He
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,499

Post#58 » by Blame Rasho » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:53 pm

I think he at least commands a 5 year 50 million dollar deal.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#59 » by corwin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 pm

cb4_89 wrote:Philly is not going to get rid of all their players so they have the money to screw over the raptors. And even then the raps will match and it would leave the sixers screwed.
Sixers can offer that 9.4 million and the raps will match without hesitation.

Philly wants a big or a star. Calderon is neither. No way they use all of their cap space on him.

Return to The General Board