Proposed Change to Playoff Rules

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

manchambo
Starter
And1: 836

Proposed Change to Playoff Rules 

Post#1 » by manchambo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:42 pm

As things stand now, at least one Western conference team with a solid record (Denver) would not be in the playoffs. At least two below-500 Eastern conference teams would be in the playoffs. That doesn't make a lick of sense to me--a losing team should not be in the playoffs.

So here's my proposed change: If there are teams below .500 who would qualify for the playoffs in one conference, and teams below .500 who would not qualify in the other conference, the above .500 teams should take the playoff spots of the below .500 teams.

I might even go a step further and get rid of the conferences altogether for playoff purposes, simply seeding the teams 1-16. However, I realize that's not very likely to happen.

Can anyone explain to me why making one of these changes would not result in more competitive and exciting playoff basketball?
risktaker91
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2 » by risktaker91 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:46 pm

For one, the eastern conference will only have 2 teams in the playoffs.
sirslimjim
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#3 » by sirslimjim » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:04 pm

risktaker91 wrote:For one, the eastern conference will only have 2 teams in the playoffs.

Most years the gap between the East in West wouldnt be so great as it is this right now, but i agree that there should be some change in how the seeding works. Denver, Portland, Houston, and Utah SHOULD all be in the playoffs as it stands right now.

How about if they keep the 6 Divisions in the East and West and then seed the remaining ten teams based on their record, regardless of which conference they play in.
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#4 » by joe.linnen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I'll just give an example for everyone to see.

1.Celtics Vs. 16. Rockets
2.Hornets Vs. 15. Wizards
3.Suns Vs. 14. Raptors
4.Pistons Vs. 13. Cavaliers
5.Mavericks Vs. 12. Nuggets
6.Spurs Vs. 11. TrailBlazers
7.Lakers Vs. 10. Warriors
8.Magic Vs. 9. Jazz

I think it would be fun, but for a lot of reasons people wouldn't like it that way tho. Me being one of them.
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 76

Post#5 » by Napoleon7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:54 pm

I like the seedings the way they are, but agree that an under .500 team shouldn't automatically make it if there are teams over .500 sitting out.

I would propose that we have a 3 game entry round.

As it stands today this would play out as such.....
Home seed listed first - original E/W seeds get the benefit of home seed not the record.
7. Atlanta (.450) vs Houston (.545)
8. Indiana (.422) vs Denver (.591)
Papercut
Junior

Post#6 » by Papercut » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 pm

Your proposal doesn't work from a business perspective. The Eastern seaboard has a massive population that would have no interest in watching Utah vs Portland (especially not if it starts at 10pm EST). Yeah it sucks that the West has been so much better for years, and that bad teams are going to be in the playoffs while good teams sit, but the business/media side of the NBA would never agree to a playoffs system with the potential for so little Eastern representation.
manchambo
Starter

Post#7 » by manchambo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 pm

Papercut wrote:Your proposal doesn't work from a business perspective. The Eastern seaboard has a massive population that would have no interest in watching Utah vs Portland (especially not if it starts at 10pm EST). Yeah it sucks that the West has been so much better for years, and that bad teams are going to be in the playoffs while good teams sit, but the business/media side of the NBA would never agree to a playoffs system with the potential for so little Eastern representation.

I don't agree with that. First, how much interest is there, anywhere, in watching Atlanta or Indiana play against anyone in their present condition? Second, there are a lot of big-drawing teams in the West, too, so I don't think there would be any long-term bias toward small-ratings teams. For example, depending on how things shake out, the proposed system could result in the Lakers getting in if they wind up 9th or 10th in the West. That would be a huge ratings boost over most Eastern Conference teams they would replace. I also think Houston gets pretty big ratings, no?
doctaJ_92
Assistant Coach
And1: 171

Post#8 » by doctaJ_92 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Or they could just have the top 16 teams from the league and have 1 play 16, 2 play 15 etc no?
Read on Twitter
Muzzleshot
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Muzzleshot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:18 pm

The NBA, MLB, and the NHL have done quite well with two conferences or in the case of baseball, 2 leagues. With that system being in place for such a long time you're going to have to come up with a lot better reason than wanting to get the 9th best team in the Western Conference to make the playoffs to make a drastic change.

Come playoff time no one is going to care about the 9th best team in the West. Maybe the fans of that team, but I'm sure they would even come to the conclusion that they'd be lucky to win one game.
manchambo
Starter

Post#10 » by manchambo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:32 pm

Muzzleshot wrote:The NBA, MLB, and the NHL have done quite well with two conferences or in the case of baseball, 2 leagues. With that system being in place for such a long time you're going to have to come up with a lot better reason than wanting to get the 9th best team in the Western Conference to make the playoffs to make a drastic change.

Come playoff time no one is going to care about the 9th best team in the West. Maybe the fans of that team, but I'm sure they would even come to the conclusion that they'd be lucky to win one game.

As a matter of fact, I think the 9 and 10 teams in the west this year could compete for the Eastern Conference championship.

In any case, the point isn't whether people care much about the 9th ranked team, but whether they can continue to stomach pitiful, losing teams making the playofs.
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#11 » by MeestR » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:45 am

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=750590

this from the utah jazz forum a week and half ago. i like the fourth post down, jazzdude's. it seems the most popular, and the most plausible.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#12 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:41 am

i dont feel bad for whoever misses the playoffs in the West..theres 8 SPOTS out of just 15 teams!

Its good as it is...im all for seeding the teams 1-16 mixing the East and West.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,975

Post#13 » by INKtastic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:40 am

while it's crazy that the bulls, at 8 games under 500, are about as close to a playoff spot as golden state, who are 8 games over .500, I think the current system is actually good for the league. Just look at how hard fought and competitive the 2nd half of the season is going to be out west. It'll basically be 2 months of playoffs before the playoffs even start.

If the system were changed, these teams could afford to coast the last couple weeks of the season.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,054

Post#14 » by Nate505 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:51 am

Any system where a .422 team makes the playoffs and a .578 team misses the playoffs is about as flawed as it gets.

I agree with the original plan. If you are .500 or above in a conference, you're in the playoffs (well, provided you also finish in the top 8 in that conference). If you are below .500 in a conference, a team from a different conference with a .500 record or better should be able to take your place.
Seattlesun
Head Coach
And1: 359

Post#15 » by Seattlesun » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:58 am

If this was the case, as a Suns fan i'd like to see phoenix tank the regular season and finish just above .500 so they could be put into the eastern conference bracket.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,975

Post#16 » by INKtastic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:23 am

Nate505 wrote:Any system where a .422 team makes the playoffs and a .578 team misses the playoffs is about as flawed as it gets.

I didn't say that there wasn't a flaw, I said that it may be better for the league to have a flaw than to fix it because of what it will add to the competitiveness down the stretch of the regular season.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#17 » by UDRIH14 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:32 am

lj4mvp wrote:If the system were changed, these teams could afford to coast the last couple weeks of the season.

no, if it was change, maybe some eastern teams would start playing to win instead of suckn it up
AJ:"I'm Western Conference," he said. "I'm Popovich. I'm for him, for Texas and for the Spurs."

Return to The General Board