Which teams go up which go down? (Western Conference)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Taiwan Killa
Banned User
And1: 0

Which teams go up which go down? (Western Conference) 

Post#1 » by Taiwan Killa » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:15 am

Which teams in the Western Conference get better next year and which teams get worse? Barring any major trade.

UP

New Orleans
Utah
Lakers
Portland
Golden State
Clippers
Memphis
Seattle
Minnesota

DOWN

Phoenix
Dallas
San Antonio
Denver
Houston
Sacramento
pace31
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,373

Post#2 » by pace31 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 am

I might actually throw GS into that "Down" mix
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#3 » by BROWN » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:27 am

pace31 wrote:I might actually throw GS into that "Down" mix

I expected to hear that from a jazz from and i was right.

With GS young talent but being used, there going up... third youngest team in the league, b4 chris webber came in ... and austin.. (doenst realy count).
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#4 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:33 am

UP
San Antonio- the roster will be cleaned out with free agency..Barry, Horry, Finley, Oberto and Elson are all off the books..Splitter arrives already..

NO- the team continues to mature..

LA- Bynum will continue to get better, and Brown's contract comes off..

Minnesota- Jefferson and Foye are the upside..good draft pick..

Portland- most upside in the NBA IMO..

Seattle- maturation, good pick, more cap room..

SAME
Dallas- the core will still be intact..they have a few bad contracts coming off..

Golden State- I don't see anything getting better or worse next year..

LA Clippers- lose Brand and Cassell..have the opportunity to sign some players..get a decent pick..

Memphis- don't really have anything to say about them..

Utah- same team..

Sacramento- don't really care..

Denver- nothing changes here IMO..Iverson and Camby get older, and the payroll is still going to be ate up..

DOWN
Houston- they can easily go "UP" with a trade, but as of now, I don't see how they'll be better next year..

Phoenix- window is closing..
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#5 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:35 am

Yeah GS is definitely here to stay as long as they stay healthy and Nelson is the coach. And I don't think Denver or Dallas get worse. Dirk is still in his prime, Harris is getting better by leaps and bounds along with Howard, and they're veterans in Dampier, Terry and Stackhouse haven't shown signs of really breaking down.

And with Denver, I expect them to find a real point guard this offseason. Carmelo will get better, Iverson is still in his prime, Martin is only going to get more confident, and Camby is playing the best ball of his career. As long as both of these teams stay healthy, they should be going up next year.
Teddy KGB
General Manager

Post#6 » by Teddy KGB » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:47 am

how will DAL get worse?
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
RoxFan08
Veteran

Post#7 » by RoxFan08 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:49 am

I'm a little confused as to why people think Houston will be worse next year. Either

A) We miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick to add to our roster, which may also be used as trade bait

or

B) we make the playoffs.

Either way, Tracy is the only player on the team with the potential to slide significantly downhill next year, but we're not that old of a team. We have 3 solid rookies, Battier, Yao, and Tmac (he might miss less games next year, if only because he's already missed a bunch next year). And we're underachieving in a new system. I think at worst, Houston is the same. You really think that they won't make the playoffs both this year and next year?
HawaiianJazzFan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#8 » by HawaiianJazzFan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 am

With GS young talent but being used, there going up... third youngest team in the league, b4 chris webber came in ... and austin.. (doenst realy count).

Jazz.... second youngest after Korver trade...
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#9 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:54 am

RoxFan08 wrote:
Either way, Tracy is the only player on the team with the potential to slide significantly downhill next year
, but we're not that old of a team. We have 3 solid rookies, Battier, Yao, and Tmac (he might miss less games next year, if only because he's already missed a bunch next year). And we're underachieving in a new system. I think at worst, Houston is the same. You really think that they won't make the playoffs both this year and next year?

your 2nd best player, and a guy that is pretty much just as important as the best player..that's a pretty big deal..
kandiking
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by kandiking » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:19 am

ss_maverick wrote:how will DAL get worse?

seriously why are people so down on the mavericks?

anyway i think its mostly a case of other teams (ie portland) getting better.
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by YiYaoYue » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:21 am

sacremento is definitely an up team...considering their injuries unless they trade ron artest and mike bibby for future picks, youngs, or expiring which is likely.
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran

Post#12 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:23 am

RoxFan08 wrote:I'm a little confused as to why people think Houston will be worse next year. Either

A) We miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick to add to our roster, which may also be used as trade bait

or

B) we make the playoffs.

Either way, Tracy is the only player on the team with the potential to slide significantly downhill next year, but we're not that old of a team. We have 3 solid rookies, Battier, Yao, and Tmac (he might miss less games next year, if only because he's already missed a bunch next year). And we're underachieving in a new system. I think at worst, Houston is the same. You really think that they won't make the playoffs both this year and next year?

Actually I do think the Rockets won't make the playoffs.

In no particular order:
New Orleans, Phoenix, Dallas, Lakers, San Antonio, Denver, Utah, Golden State.

Then you have to fight the Blazers, so I really do think the Rockets have a very good chance to miss the playoffs this year. Portland looks like its cooling off, and New Orleans is the new kid on the playoff block, and someone has to get kicked out, and it looks like its gonna be the rockets
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#13 » by bleu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:36 am

brownwarriors wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Honestly GS is a team that isn't doin much of anything right now. I dont think there's a chance in the world that they miss the playoffs, but I couldn't see them getting higher than a 7th seed. Also, age really doesn't make too much of a difference in a teams future, because there's always gonna be trades going around.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#14 » by BROWN » Fri Feb 1, 2008 1:48 am

vainsake wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Honestly GS is a team that isn't doin much of anything right now. I dont think there's a chance in the world that they miss the playoffs, but I couldn't see them getting higher than a 7th seed. Also, age really doesn't make too much of a difference in a teams future, because there's always gonna be trades going around.

True but , baron is hitting his prime now, and you still probably forgot that Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins are only 22, and 21 ...

Return to The General Board