OT:Whats up with Chicago?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

blackballerd18
Senior
And1: 0

Post#21 » by blackballerd18 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:58 am

treis wrote:The Bulls offered Deng, Chandler, and the #2 for KG in 06. Tell me, would you rather have that or Jefferson?

The Bulls offered Brown's expiring, Thomas, and the pick that became Noah. Would you rather have that or the crap Memphis got?

That's the problem. When the Bulls had assets (and expirings) to trade, the other teams declined. Now a year later they are accepting worse offers. The incompetence of McHale and whoever is in Memphis now is what got us. That and Paxson traded away Chandler for nothing, and completely whiffed with the #2 pick.

I hear what your saying and while it makes sense that I guess the Bulls just have bad timing when making their offers. Why wouldn't Memphis contact Chicago before they finalized anything with LA to make sure they couldn't get anything better than what the Lakers were offering them. I just don't get it. The bulls have so much more to offer to memphis yet it seems that the grizz felt that they had to make something happen on this very day and had no other options.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#22 » by Patterns » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:05 am

Maybe the Bulls weren't interested in Gasol?
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#23 » by NetsForce » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:51 pm

Why would the Bulls need Gasol? They have Joe Smith.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#24 » by CBS7 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 4:52 pm

Artest93 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I ain't going to pull up posts. You can say what you want to save face for Bulls fans homerism

I know there were several posts that showed extreme homerism but what fan base doesn't have some people that do that?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,490

Post#25 » by coldfish » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:00 pm

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Half of the fans still thought that Kobe would hurt them more than help them. They also thought that Gordan+Deng was better than Kobe and that chemistry was key.

You are just making stuff up. I doubt 5% of Bulls fans thought that Kobe would hurt the team. The vast majority wanted him.

Beyond that, many of us take the position that Gordon + Deng are the team and without them the team is horrible. I wouldn't trade Gordon + Deng for Kobe because he would come in, find he was in a worse situation than in LA, and opt out in a year. If the search function worked better, I could find the posts from this summer.

The last 4 games, without Gordon or Deng, the Bulls have scored 77,77, 67 and 96 points against Minnesota twice, Phoenix and Indiana. This season has verified many of our thoughts.

Last note with Chicago, Ben Wallace is the worst player in the NBA, yet he continues to play big minutes for political reasons. There is a reason why the Bulls look so good when Noah is at center (+3 per 48) and its mostly not Noah.
Bulls_Dynasty6
Veteran
And1: 58

Post#26 » by Bulls_Dynasty6 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:57 pm

TAI8 wrote:I feel bad for Chicago fans. First the Bears and now this.

At least we got the Blackhawks...

Ehh. I don't watch hockey anyway. I'm pissed off to be a Chicago fan as well.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#27 » by JeremyB0001 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:39 pm

The "Everyone knew the Bulls would drop off" arguments are highly unpersuasive. The majority of ESPN analysts and Vegas projected the Bulls to have the best record in the East. Arguments why Deng or Gordon were overrated basically boiled down to people not being fans of them which isn't actually a reason in and of itself. No one said "the Bulls were unreasonably healthy this year" and probably won't be as healthy again, which will hurt them. No one suggested the Bulls would fall off on defense. A good rule of thumb is that "predictions" that come true aren't worth much if you provided no reason for your belief or the reasons for your belief did not turn out to be true.

noxe wrote:Paxson too scared to deal away Gordon + other young talents (while they were performing well last season) for the likes of Kobe, Pau, KG and now is stuck with Ben Wallace and his fat contract

Link?
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#28 » by princeofpalace » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:56 pm

It seems to me that the Chicago Bulls tried to tried to follow the Pistons game plan of trying to win a championship without a superstar but with a collection of stars.

The problem with Chicago's method is that unlike Detroit (who is comprised of 4 stars, arguable 5 if u include Dice) the Bulls do not have a single star. Rather they are a team entirely comprised of role players, which is exactly what Kirk-Gordon-Deng-Smith-Wallace are.

You dont win with 5 role players
ImmortalD24
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#29 » by ImmortalD24 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 3:48 pm

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Half of the fans still thought that Kobe would hurt them more than help them. They also thought that Gordan+Deng was better than Kobe and that chemistry was key.
Just imagine how much backlash Kobe would get if he was a Bull right now and didn't win a championship, most bulls fans already thought Kobe was just a ballhog cancer, and now they are among the worst in the league.. It's a testament to how much Kobe hate is there in Chicago. smh
T-Spot
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#30 » by T-Spot » Sun Feb 3, 2008 3:49 pm

A jump shot team with no inside presence.

Bull's in a nut shell.

Sometimes you make the shots, other times you don't. Without that steady 20 point guy inside, its not going to work. Shooters get less open looks and when they go cold, no one can sustain the team.

The Spurs, Mavs, Suns, Cavs, Pistons, Boston, Magic, Hornets, Raptors, Jazz, and so on and so fourth all have people that they can throw the ball inside, and get buckets. Even Golden State has a better inside power than the Bulls.

Thomas and Noah don't cut it.

1. Prissy bunch of whiners. You are not superstars. Get boards, and learn some post moves.

2. Besides the over energetic dunk, Thomas a barely adequate PF.

3. Noah has better footwork and softer hands and could become what they need, but that will take time.

4. No one seems to want to bang and fight for position or boards.

Thomas is a bust. Mad hops don't get you anything. Noah could become somewhat of a garbage bucket man like Kendrik Perkins.

On what the Bulls offered and that the Lakers got for Gasol.

Lakers: Expiring Brown, Citerra(what ever his name is), a veteran McKie, two future draft picks, and Marc Gasol.

Bulls: Expiring Brown (haha, get it?), Thomas the bust, and one future pick (which got Noah, which isn't the best of picks, hindsight says that Al Thorn.)

It pretty much an even trade, but I'd take the Lakers offer. Marc Gasol is the deal changer.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#31 » by NetsForce » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:07 pm

Note: Even if we buy into the Marc Gasol hype and pretend he's the next Pau - which he most certainly is not - who cares? If Pau couldn't work out in Memphis' run-and-dumb err gun system then how is Marc going to when he's less athletic than Pau?

Sorry... I just think it's dumb to think that the 48th pick in the draft is a deal changer.
T-Spot
Veteran

Post#32 » by T-Spot » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:36 pm

Considering Glen Davis and Scola are looking like better players than Noah is, I think the lower picks deserve some love.

Even if he doesn't fit, he can be traded.

I'd like to see what Tyrus "Kwame Brown II" Thomas can achieve in any system.
Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#33 » by Sebastian » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:15 pm

T-Spot wrote:Considering Glen Davis and Scola are looking like better players than Noah is, I think the lower picks deserve some love.

This is simply untrue. Noah has played very well this season.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,490

Post#34 » by coldfish » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:18 pm

T-Spot wrote:Considering Glen Davis and Scola are looking like better players than Noah is, I think the lower picks deserve some love.

PER
Noah 16.06
Davis 15.28
Scola 14.90
Thomas 13.64

Thomas has some work to do, but Noah looks just fine. The Bulls biggest issue, by far, is Ben Wallace, who plays horribly and gets 35 mpg.
ice9
Veteran
And1: 140

Post#35 » by ice9 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:21 pm

T-Spot wrote:A jump shot team with no inside presence.

Bull's in a nut shell.

Sometimes you make the shots, other times you don't. Without that steady 20 point guy inside, its not going to work. Shooters get less open looks and when they go cold, no one can sustain the team.

The Spurs, Mavs, Suns, Cavs, Pistons, Boston, Magic, Hornets, Raptors, Jazz, and so on and so fourth all have people that they can throw the ball inside, and get buckets. Even Golden State has a better inside power than the Bulls.

Thomas and Noah don't cut it.

No post player is a problem, no superstar scorer is a problem, but the Bulls haven't had the chance to get one. As far as Kobe/Gasol/KG, the Bulls were willing to trade a lot (including Deng) for Kobe, but KB vetoed the trade, there simply wasn't any combo to satisfy all 3 teams. Gasol would have required Gordon/Deng/Noah, which is worth way more than him, yet he got traded for pennies on the dollar. Same with the KG trade.

Just as much of us having a problem with jumpshooting is the offense we run. There are no backdoor cuts. Ben Wallace sets picks at the 3 point line leading to our guards being doubled all game. Our system is designed to get jumpshots. It is a set system that has never been adapted to the personal. It's great for Joe Smith, but underutilizes Thomas/Noah, overutilizes Wallace, and puts undo pressure on the guards.

1. Prissy bunch of whiners. You are not superstars. Get boards, and learn some post moves.

2. Besides the over energetic dunk, Thomas a barely adequate PF.

3. Noah has better footwork and softer hands and could become what they need, but that will take time.

4. No one seems to want to bang and fight for position or boards.

Thomas is a bust. Mad hops don't get you anything. Noah could become somewhat of a garbage bucket man like Kendrik Perkins.

1) Haterade, damn. I'd be curious where you can find them whining, I have yet to see evidence of it and I watch every game. They do rebound (#1 and #2 on the team with Rebound rates of 16.6 and 15.2), and Noah has shown adequate post moves. Tyrus is a face up player and has worked on his game. Everyone and their mothers new he would take a few years with how raw he was (1 year of college, 2 years of high school, as a pg), why is he getting criticized for not being Hakeem in year 2?
2) He has a long ways to go, but he is a good rebounder, excellent defender, can finish, and is an excellent passer. SS and Boylan's jerking him around has visibly set him back, when given a consistent role he is above average.
3) Yea, he's a rookie, is this a shocking revalation?
4) Noah and Tyrus fight for rebounds. The guy you mean to single out is Wallace, who is killing us on offense, killing us on defense, killing us on the boards, and killing us in the lockerroom. The jury's still out on Tyrus (here's Thorpe's evaluation http://www.blogabull.com/story/2008/1/30/163158/532 ). Noah's already better than Perkins and has shown some moves in the post.
On what the Bulls offered and that the Lakers got for Gasol.

Lakers: Expiring Brown, Citerra(what ever his name is), a veteran McKie, two future draft picks, and Marc Gasol.

Bulls: Expiring Brown (haha, get it?), Thomas the bust, and one future pick (which got Noah, which isn't the best of picks, hindsight says that Al Thorn.)

It pretty much an even trade, but I'd take the Lakers offer. Marc Gasol is the deal changer.

Well, you have to see that the Grizz wanted Gordon/Deng/the pick. The idea of them demanding that much from the Bulls and then trading him for crap is ludicrous. And if you think Noah/Tyrus has less value than Critt/M Gasol, well you're outta your mind. I'd like to see how you think Thornton was the right pick, he's 25 and has a PER like 5 points below Noah's. Noah's a 7 footer too. Usually taking the better, taller, younger player is the way to go, but I see how you would make a great GM.

Considering Glen Davis and Scola are looking like better players than Noah is, I think the lower picks deserve some love.

Well considering Scola wasn't drafted this year (several years ago) and considering he is 27 and in his prime, yea he does look good. Davis looks good too. However, Noah is 2nd among rookies in PER and has spent much of the season in first place. Interesting you single out the Bulls for picking him, which looks like a very good pick, and ignore that the players picked before and after him (Wright and Hawes) haven't shown ****. Gray has looked like a steal at pick 49 as well.

If you're gonna pick a comparison, at least pick one that has grounds to defend. Wow. Have you ever seen Tyrus play?

Your posts are just filled with ignorance and blind hatred, and are completely devoid of any evidence to back up your claims. but thanks for the input, it was really constructive.
ice9
Veteran

Post#36 » by ice9 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:35 pm

Artest93 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I ain't going to pull up posts. You can say what you want to save face for Bulls fans homerism

(copied a post of my from another thread)
The Bulls predictions were all pretty logical.
We won 49 games after a terrible start, and had an expected W/L last season of 55-27. The roster stayed the same except we upgraded from Brown to Smith and added Noah (both Smith and Noah have PERs over 18, btw). And since most of the team (especially Gordon, Deng, Thabo, Tyrus, and to some extent, Kirk) was young, it was fair to expect improvement. Before this year, Kirk, Deng, and Gordon made large, noticeable improvements every year. Who in their right mind that actually watched the games would have guessed they would all regress while still in their lower 20s? Given last years record, expected record, roster upgrades, roster stability (the perceived reason for last years slow start) and internal improvements, logic would tell you the Bulls should be a 50 win team (1 more than last year), and 55 was reasonable (the expected record last year). Most of realgm, not just the Bulls fan base, had the Bulls as a lock for a top seed and 50 wins.

That was the bulls logic as to why we'd be good this year. It's level-headed, and well... logical. Bulls fans were on the same page as most of realgm, Vegas odds makers, and ESPN guys.

Most of the people that "predicted" the bulls would suck are the people that always bash the Bulls and didn't offer any evaluation as to why we'd suck, other than "overrated" and "jumpshooting." Sorry if that type of insightful posts didn't win me over. We were the same jumpshooting team the last 3 years, and it got us to the playoffs. We were always below average offensively, but elite (best in the league last year) on defense. That's why we won. We never argued that we would be good on offense, we hoped (optimistically) for adequate.

Most Bulls fans were dying for KG/Gasol/Kobe, there were a few that didn't want them, but the reasoning was that it would take so many of our players (value wise and contract wise) that we would be a worse team after, and what would be the point of getting a superstar off a team of scrubs to play on a new team of scrubs? There would have to be some talent left after a blockbuster to compete. Getting one of those guys with only Kirk and Noch as additional scorers would have been disastrous. In hindsight we would've sucked no matter what.
ice9
Veteran

Post#37 » by ice9 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:46 pm

As far as why the Bulls suck:

1) Wallace. The guy seriously might be the worst player in the league, and he's averaging 33 minutes a night. We are playing 4 on 5 at both ends of the court when he's out there. Noah and Tyrus are better than him in every conceivable way, but he takes their playing time. Wallace gets abused on defense and the boards every night. Hell, he's given up 20/20 games in both of our last 2 games. His bad play and bad attitude are sucking the life outta the team.

2) Duhon. In January he averaged 26 minutes a night, 25% shooting, and 4 points. He's garbage, but gets tons of minutes. Offers nothing of worth.

3) Griffin/Viktor. Garbage, should never play, period.

4) Boyaln. He's the guy playing Wallace and Duhon heavy minutes and playing the other 2 guys at all. He's a bad coach. He forgets to sub, has a bad rotation, our offensive sets are garbage, and doesn't command respect from any player.

5) Offensive sets. I don't know where to start. Best bet is to search Coldfish's post for an in depth evaluation.

6) Ownership. JR is pulling a lot of strings. The Chandler-Wallace exchange? JR. Won't pay the tax that we have to avoid because of Wallace, which stopped us from getting Gasol. Most profitable team in professional sports, but won't pay to win.
T-Spot
Veteran

Post#38 » by T-Spot » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:56 pm

1. I'm sure Noah got suspended for being a little princess. I'm sorry, I forgot to see all those great times when Thomas has been less of a cocky bastard.

2. Yeah, that's what I said about Joey Graham.

3. It will take much longer for him to develop. How can you imagine he will be anything more than a Drew Gooden without the jumper?

4. I've watched a few games, and I don't get the vibe.

5. Well the Grizz were not under any pressure to let Gasol go. I'm pretty sure Gasol pulled a Kobe and forced them to accept the deal.

Noah/Tyrus:

Yeah, with the two youngsters in Warrick and Darko, they really a few more young big men. Nice of you to comment on Marc when you haven't even seen him play yet (He was decent in the FIBA for Spain). So we can scratch better out of that equation. Noah is 6'11. Marc is 7'1. We can scratch taller out too. Marc is 23 (since Jan 29), Noah is 22 so how does age really matter? Lets scratch that out. 0/3, nice, way to know anything about Marc Gasol.

Citter would be a nice back up or starting shooting guard for Memphis playing with Navarro. Lowry and Connely will take the point, and talk about a running offense.

6. I don't know what everyone is in raptures about with PER (I don't even really understand it that much). If he played more than 13 min's a game that PER rating would drop (form what I know of it). Look at any other stat like floor efficiency and he is not even close to number one. Being tops in one stat means nothing.

Why would I go off topic and talk about other players other teams drafted which has nothing relevant to do with the Bulls?

Thornton is inconstant, and we all know that is something a year or two will fix. When he plays good, he looks like one of the best rookies in the draft, right next to Durant and Hortford. You really have not seen what this kid can do. Just because he is older does not mean he won't get better. That's a stupid suggestion.

7. I've seen him enough to know that he has as much potential as Joey Graham. Maybe they should switch phone numbers.

You are a blinded fan who thinks Noah and Thomas are the best things since sliced bread. If they were so awesome, you'd think the Bulls would be tops on the East, not fighting for a 8th spot.
ice9
Veteran

Post#39 » by ice9 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:27 pm

T-Spot wrote:1. I'm sure Noah got suspended for being a little princess. I'm sorry, I forgot to see all those great times when Thomas has been less of a cocky bastard.

2. Yeah, that's what I said about Joey Graham.

3. It will take much longer for him to develop. How can you imagine he will be anything more than a Drew Gooden without the jumper?

4. I've watched a few games, and I don't get the vibe.

5. Well the Grizz were not under any pressure to let Gasol go. I'm pretty sure Gasol pulled a Kobe and forced them to accept the deal.

Noah/Tyrus:

Yeah, with the two youngsters in Warrick and Darko, they really a few more young big men. Nice of you to comment on Marc when you haven't even seen him play yet (He was decent in the FIBA for Spain). So we can scratch better out of that equation. Noah is 6'11. Marc is 7'1. We can scratch taller out too. Marc is 23 (since Jan 29), Noah is 22 so how does age really matter? Lets scratch that out. 0/3, nice, way to know anything about Marc Gasol.

Citter would be a nice back up or starting shooting guard for Memphis playing with Navarro. Lowry and Connely will take the point, and talk about a running offense.

6. I don't know what everyone is in raptures about with PER (I don't even really understand it that much). If he played more than 13 min's a game that PER rating would drop (form what I know of it). Look at any other stat like floor efficiency and he is not even close to number one. Being tops in one stat means nothing.

Why would I go off topic and talk about other players other teams drafted which has nothing relevant to do with the Bulls?

Thornton is inconstant, and we all know that is something a year or two will fix. When he plays good, he looks like one of the best rookies in the draft, right next to Durant and Hortford. You really have not seen what this kid can do. Just because he is older does not mean he won't get better. That's a stupid suggestion.

7. I've seen him enough to know that he has as much potential as Joey Graham. Maybe they should switch phone numbers.

You are a blinded fan who thinks Noah and Thomas are the best things since sliced bread. If they were so awesome, you'd think the Bulls would be tops on the East, not fighting for a 8th spot.

1) What Noah did doesn't qualify as "whining." He's been the one guy on the roster to show any leadership, and I hope he continues to do so. And again, anything Tyrus does doesn't qualify as whining. He's been a great teammate, the other players have said as much. Even when he's on the bench he's cheering the team on more than anyone else.

2) Well if you are about to compare TT to Graham: watch more basketball.

3) Noah can definitely be better than Gooden. See, half of the game is this thing called defense. Noah is good at it, Gooden: not so much. Noah is also an excellent passer and ball handler for his size.

4) Ah, I concede, since you've seen a few games, your 'vibe' is clearly right.

5) The grizz would rather have Critt (they just drafted Conley and Lowry at point the last 2 years) because they have Warrick and ****in Darko at the 4/5? Yea, that makes sense. Critt isn't as good of a prospect as they are, and is at a more crowded position.

Noah is better/taller/younger than Thornton. Read. You said he would have been a better pick than Noah. That is dumb. I refuted it. And then you thought I was comparing Noah to Gasol. I haven't seen much of Gasol, but he's not that impressive. But just because every GM in the league would take Noah over Marc, doesn't mean Noah has more value, right? nice, way to know anything about reading

6) PER isn't perfect, but it's the best statistical measue of a player's production.

As far as other measures of efficiency/production: He is 2nd among rookies in rebounding rate, 8th in assist rate, and 10th in ts%. Players with good PERs usually keep up their production with an increase in minutes.

I don't know, but you did.

Me saying Noah/Tyrus has more value than Crit/M Gasol isn't me being blind and thinking they are all that, it's just the way it is. No one associated with the league would argue otherwise.

Return to The General Board