Are the Lakers going back to the Finals?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Will the Addition of Gasol Take the Lakers back to the Finals?

Yes
36%
No
21%
All depends on Chemistry
22%
All depends on Chemistry
22%

Total votes: 306

zen_4_10
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#221 » by zen_4_10 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:53 am

Magz50 wrote:Not if they lose to teams like the Hawks.

Or Sonics? Oh wait....that wasn't the Lakers. :lol:
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#222 » by High 5 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:56 am

babajafar wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I just said above that the Hawks were the better team today...
so I guess we agree?

PS. I am not a sore loser, nor do I whine.

You're one of the few that I have seen then. I don't think I have posted on the general board about a win all season, but looking at the posts by Lakers fans I had to say something.
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#223 » by _BBIB_ » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:22 am

Gasol can't play the 5 which is no surprise.

I've always stated since the trade that the Lakers Finals chances is predicated on the return of Bynum.

It's about the quartet. This trio won't be enough.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,432

Post#224 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:37 am

The Hawks just had an unbelievable night. They can play like that once every 20 or so games. Just unfortunate the Lakers caught them on one of those nights. The Lakers picked a bad time to relax. They were up 8 or 9 and were in control most of the game, then just seemingly took their foot off the gas pedal. The Hawks hung around long enough to take advantage of it. Props to them. They deserved it.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,432

Post#225 » by JellosJigglin » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:41 am

High 5 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I not saying the Hawks are a better team at all, but they were a better team tonight. That's all I'm talking about. If you guys weren't so damn cocky and didn't whine when you lost you wouldn't get posts like mine. Horford is the reason Gasol had an off night. Smith also had some good plays on Gasol. He isn't a superstar like some may believe.

Just curious, but how many Laker fans have you seen call Gasol a superstar? I am around Laker fans in Los Angeles all day and on message boards, and I haven't seen or heard one call Gasol a superstar.

We just think he's the perfect fit for this team. He brings the finesse and the midrange game, and Bynum brings the power game. It's similar to the Pistons getting Rasheed. He was never a superstar, but he was a perfect fit for that team. That's how we feel about Gasol.
B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#226 » by B-Scott » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:45 am

Lets keep in mind this is a back to back game for the Lakers

And Gasol missed a lot of easy shots that he normally makes
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant

Post#227 » by _BBIB_ » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:45 am

JellosJigglin wrote:The Hawks just had an unbelievable night. They can play like that once every 20 or so games. Just unfortunate the Lakers caught them on one of those nights. The Lakers picked a bad time to relax. They were up 8 or 9 and were in control most of the game, then just seemingly took their foot off the gas pedal. The Hawks hung around long enough to take advantage of it. Props to them. They deserved it.

The sad thing is that this team is talented enough to play like that every night.

This team is built to run but for some reason these players and coach don't get that message.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,525

Post#228 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Feb 7, 2008 5:03 am

High 5 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If you guys weren't so damn cocky and didn't whine when you lost you wouldn't get posts like mine. Horford is the reason Gasol had an off night. Smith also had some good plays on Gasol. He isn't a superstar like some may believe.

I don't care if you call me cocky, in fact I'd wear it proudly like a badge! :nod: I won't stoop down to your level, but damn boy you have no idea how it feels to have Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum on your team... YES WE WILL SWEEP EVERY TEAM INCLUDING YOURS. Book it. :rofl:
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
EHL
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#229 » by EHL » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:11 am

Jordan23Forever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It was certainly never 46%. Why would I act like it was an accomplishment if Kobe averaged 30 on 46% shooting? :lol: 46% isn't much.

Why are you asking me, you're the dude that said 46%. Look up your own crappy posts.
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant

Post#230 » by _BBIB_ » Thu Feb 7, 2008 7:37 am

The Laker Kid wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I don't care if you call me cocky, in fact I'd wear it proudly like a badge! :nod: I won't stoop down to your level, but damn boy you have no idea how it feels to have Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum on your team... YES WE WILL SWEEP EVERY TEAM INCLUDING YOURS. Book it. :rofl:

Hopefully Bynum comes back healthy.

I thought I heard somewhere he wasn't healing as they expected
MT1983
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#231 » by MT1983 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 8:25 am

_BBIB_ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hopefully Bynum comes back healthy.

I thought I heard somewhere he wasn't healing as they expected

Exactly. I have no idea why some are acting as if Bynum is just going to step right back on the court and be the exact same player he was before the injury. IF he's able to come back by mid-March (he could be out longer than that) he will have missed anywhere from 2-3 months. That would give him, what, 2-3 weeks or so to get to where he was before the playoffs? That won't be an easy task. Then you factor in that he's going to have to learn how to play with a guy (Gasol) that he's never played with before, in a very short amount of time.
It took 10 frickin' years, but we've finally got a legitimate franchise player to lead us back to the top.
EHL
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#232 » by EHL » Thu Feb 7, 2008 10:26 am

MT1983 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly. I have no idea why some are acting as if Bynum is just going to step right back on the court and be the exact same player he was before the injury. IF he's able to come back by mid-March (he could be out longer than that) he will have missed anywhere from 2-3 months. That would give him, what, 2-3 weeks or so to get to where he was before the playoffs? That won't be an easy task. Then you factor in that he's going to have to learn how to play with a guy (Gasol) that he's never played with before, in a very short amount of time.

The prognosis was 8 weeks, which is 2, not 3 months, giving Bynum another month to get back into shape before the playoffs. And that 8 weeks includes time for getting back into shape, not just rehab, which has already started now that the swelling is down. That's all according to Bynum, Kupchak, etc. Read the Lakers report, he's still on schedule.

Return to The General Board