Redraft 2022 - who are the top 10?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who should have gone #1?

Chet
49%
Paolo
41%
Jalen W
7%
Sharpe
1%
Keegan
1%
Sochan
2%
Other
1%

Total votes: 152

zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Re: Redraft 2022 - who are the top 10? 

Post#101 » by zero rings » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:31 am

MagicMatic wrote:
zero rings wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:A lot of you are choosing Chet because of his teams record and recent success.

If he was in Orlando you wouldn't have him at #1.

Magic drafted the best player for them in the draft at #1. OKC did too. End of story.

Or maybe we're choosing him because he's the better player? If Chet were in Orlando, I'm confident the Magic would be a better team on both ends of the court. His shooting and spacing at the C position would open things up for his teammates, and they'd be even better defensively.

You guys are overrating Paolo's offense big time. Right now he's a volume scorer who doesn't actually make your offense better. He needs to improve his 3 pt shot and inside finishing, otherwise he's not going to have much of an impact on winning.

Yeah, the difference is that Chet isnt option #1 or even #2 in OKC's system.

Paolo is option #1 and isn't playing next to one of the best players in the league despite what you think of Franz.

So yeah, theres a little more context to what you are talking about when you are comparing the two in vastly different situations with what they are tasked with on a nightly basis.

I don't care if Paolo is a #1 option if he isn't a good #1 option. Guys who can score are a dime-a-dozen in today's NBA, and if you're not efficient you're not having an impact.

There's 45 qualified players averaging 20 ppg this year, and of those Paolo ranks dead last in TS%. Sorry, but you can't just blame that all on his teammates. He's not the only guy facing double teams.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#102 » by zero rings » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 am

tooler wrote:
zero rings wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:A lot of you are choosing Chet because of his teams record and recent success.

If he was in Orlando you wouldn't have him at #1.

Magic drafted the best player for them in the draft at #1. OKC did too. End of story.

Or maybe we're choosing him because he's the better player? If Chet were in Orlando, I'm confident the Magic would be a better team on both ends of the court. His shooting and spacing at the C position would open things up for his teammates, and they'd be even better defensively.

Perhaps a few people — certainly not you — would step up to defend the Magic drafting Chet for reasons you described. Everyone else would be roasting them for passing up a #1 option archetype they desperately need, and now being too good (with Chet) to ever hope to draft one. It’s a no-win situation for Magic fans.

Yeah, he needs to improve his efficiency to reach his potential. We’ve noted that down.

I was a big Chet believer before the draft and never understood the fascination with Paolo. He wasn't efficient even in college, and his style of game is outdated. You don't win in the modern NBA playing bruiser ball and taking a lot of contested middies.

As to what other people would have said, who cares? Those people would have been wrong.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,954

Post#103 » by basketballRob » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:44 am

Every time Chet or Williams has a good game, someone makes a new thread, and then it's crickets when Paolo has a good game.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 133

Post#104 » by byeganyo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:03 am

zero rings wrote:
tooler wrote:
zero rings wrote:

Perhaps a few people — certainly not you — would step up to defend the Magic drafting Chet for reasons you described. Everyone else would be roasting them for passing up a #1 option archetype they desperately need, and now being too good (with Chet) to ever hope to draft one. It’s a no-win situation for Magic fans.

Yeah, he needs to improve his efficiency to reach his potential. We’ve noted that down.

I was a big Chet believer before the draft and never understood the fascination with Paolo. He wasn't efficient even in college, and his style of game is outdated. You don't win in the modern NBA playing bruiser ball and taking a lot of contested middies.

As to what other people would have said, who cares? Those people would have been wrong.

So you had an opinion 3 years ago and nothing that happened since can change it. OK. You are right, whoever disagree with you is wrong. That's not a very productive mindset. And btw Paolo was voted 4th by nba players in in the all star eastern frontcourt voting this year and then picked by coaches, so i guess most of nba disagree with you.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,068

Post#105 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 pm

basketballRob wrote:Every time Chet or Williams has a good game, someone makes a new thread, and then it's crickets when Paolo has a good game.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

There would be too many threads about Paolo if someone started one after every good game of his.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,068

Post#106 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:34 pm

Why is no one talking about Holmgren's rebounding? He is 7'3 and is only averaging 7.5 rebs?
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#107 » by ogmagicfan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:21 pm

BlzMwt wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:
I've never seen someone say a player has potential to average something with such certainty, only to follow it up and say how unlikely it is due to only five players to have ever done it.

It kind of goes against your argument.

It also seems extremely optimistic to say with certainty that he will be able to increase his scoring by 7ppg doesn't it? What makes you think he has that much room for growth?

You're contradicting yourself. How are you implying that me saying potential means that there's a certainty it will occur. There is no certainty it will occur, there's just the potential for it.

Paolo since January 1st is averaging 24.4/6.7/6. He just turned 21 years old. He is a 6'10.5 forward that moves like a guard. He has shown definitive improvement and is an All-Star in his 2nd season.

If you wanna believe that a player of his caliber and build is peaking now, that's your perogative. However, there is absolutely the POTENTIAL that he can put up 30/7/7 in his prime.

You seem awfully defensive. I was honestly curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

You said he has "legit potential". Then listed off 5 of the best players of all time. To me that makes it sound like you really think there's atleast a chance he could do it.

I stated the "unlikely" part because you followed it up with saying if he does reach that potential only five players have ever done such a thing lol. As in, that's unlikely to actually happen.

I also never said he has peaked. That would be dumb, thanks though. I said adding 7ppg to his total seems very optimistic and asked what made you think he would increase it to such a degree. I don't watch enough of him and clearly you're a magic fan so I wanted your take on it.

Maybe you should have been defensive if I said that because he's an allstar in his second season (which most people thought was the worst allstar selection this year) means next to nothing in the grand scheme of someone's career. Or a six week sample size in year 2 where a few extra ppg isn't necessarily indicative of someone then upping it from 21 to 30 in their peak.

You also noted definitive improvement in his game from his rookie season to this year. Great? That's usually what you hope for lol

So defensive means refuting the stupid leap in "logic" you made? Would you like it better if I agreed with all your preconceived notions? Maybe try not projecting so much eh?

Added with you not watching enough of him, yet you got all these assumptions. All your questions were answered in my previous post. Find someone elses time to waste.
ValvPiti
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#108 » by ValvPiti » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:08 pm

Very intrigued by Kessler. Why in the world is he not getting more playing time?
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,042

Post#109 » by BlzMwt » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:20 pm

ogmagicfan wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
You're contradicting yourself. How are you implying that me saying potential means that there's a certainty it will occur. There is no certainty it will occur, there's just the potential for it.

Paolo since January 1st is averaging 24.4/6.7/6. He just turned 21 years old. He is a 6'10.5 forward that moves like a guard. He has shown definitive improvement and is an All-Star in his 2nd season.

If you wanna believe that a player of his caliber and build is peaking now, that's your perogative. However, there is absolutely the POTENTIAL that he can put up 30/7/7 in his prime.

You seem awfully defensive. I was honestly curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

You said he has "legit potential". Then listed off 5 of the best players of all time. To me that makes it sound like you really think there's atleast a chance he could do it.

I stated the "unlikely" part because you followed it up with saying if he does reach that potential only five players have ever done such a thing lol. As in, that's unlikely to actually happen.

I also never said he has peaked. That would be dumb, thanks though. I said adding 7ppg to his total seems very optimistic and asked what made you think he would increase it to such a degree. I don't watch enough of him and clearly you're a magic fan so I wanted your take on it.

Maybe you should have been defensive if I said that because he's an allstar in his second season (which most people thought was the worst allstar selection this year) means next to nothing in the grand scheme of someone's career. Or a six week sample size in year 2 where a few extra ppg isn't necessarily indicative of someone then upping it from 21 to 30 in their peak.

You also noted definitive improvement in his game from his rookie season to this year. Great? That's usually what you hope for lol

So defensive means refuting the stupid leap in "logic" you made? Would you like it better if I agreed with all your preconceived notions? Maybe try not projecting so much eh?

Added with you not watching enough of him, yet you got all these assumptions. All your questions were answered in my previous post. Find someone elses time to waste.

Good discussion. Hope others on here find your thoughts as productive as I did.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#110 » by JMAC3 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:25 pm

MARK_POPE wrote:I'll say this in every redraft thread: don't evaluate the picks until they're through their first contract it's just too soon.

This is like waiting until 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter and then trying to place a bet on who wins, congrats you have 95% of the information.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,883

Post#111 » by One_and_Done » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:38 pm

I have to say, I think the number of Paolo votes is a little odd. There seems to be little chance he's the best of this group in 5 years. Someone with more potential like Sharpe will emerge, even if you hate Chet or think he gets hurt. There's just a ceiling on the skillset he brings.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
FrightCoward
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#112 » by FrightCoward » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:44 pm

One_and_Done wrote:I have to say, I think the number of Paolo votes is a little odd. There seems to be little chance he's the best of this group in 5 years. Someone with more potential like Sharpe will emerge, even if you hate Chet or think he gets hurt. There's just a ceiling on the skillset he brings.

Don’t see the Sharpe hype, like at all. He’s less efficient than Paolo, which is everyone’s biggest knock on his game, and isn’t getting near the defensive attention that Banchero sees. I think he’s completely overhyped.
FrightCoward
Sophomore

Post#113 » by FrightCoward » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:52 pm

zero rings wrote:
tooler wrote:
zero rings wrote:

Paolo led his team to the final four as its best player and stepped up his play in the tournament. Chet led Gonzaga to a sweet 16 exit against a mediocre Razorbacks team and put up worse numbers across the board when facing good competition in college. Don’t even mention the Duke/Gonzaga game where Chet couldn’t handle Paolo at all in the first half and they had to seen doubles at him the rest of the way to slow down his production.
MARK_POPE
Senior
And1: 1,977

Post#114 » by MARK_POPE » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:17 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
MARK_POPE wrote:I'll say this in every redraft thread: don't evaluate the picks until they're through their first contract it's just too soon.

This is like waiting until 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter and then trying to place a bet on who wins, congrats you have 95% of the information.

You're really extrapolating here. What you're referring to would be me saying "ask me after their careers are almost over".

At the point their 1st contract is over, players are trending in different directions with some still projecting to hit the potential they were selected early for, while guys taken outside of the lottery/in the 2nd round could have been solid early on in their career but surpassed by more talented players and have already peaked (like a Grant Williams)
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,342

Post#115 » by sfernald » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:00 am

FrightCoward wrote:
zero rings wrote:
tooler wrote:Perhaps a few people — certainly not you — would step up to defend the Magic drafting Chet for reasons you described. Everyone else would be roasting them for passing up a #1 option archetype they desperately need, and now being too good (with Chet) to ever hope to draft one. It’s a no-win situation for Magic fans.

Paolo led his team to the final four as its best player and stepped up his play in the tournament. Chet led Gonzaga to a sweet 16 exit against a mediocre Razorbacks team and put up worse numbers across the board when facing good competition in college. Don’t even mention the Duke/Gonzaga game where Chet couldn’t handle Paolo at all in the first half and they had to seen doubles at him the rest of the way to slow down his production.

NCAA ain’t pro ball. Chet is hyper efficient and defensive player of the year caliber. I don’t think it’s particularly close. I think Paulo is squarely in the Jalen Williams tier at this point (which don’t get me wrong JDub will be a star in this league).
FrightCoward
Sophomore

Post#116 » by FrightCoward » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:00 am

sfernald wrote:
FrightCoward wrote:
zero rings wrote:

NCAA ain’t pro ball. Chet is hyper efficient and defensive player of the year caliber. I don’t think it’s particularly close. I think Paulo is squarely in the Jalen Williams tier at this point (which don’t get me wrong JDub will be a star in this league).

Not disagreeing, but he’s the only who brought up college, lol. Just going with that theme.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,898

Post#117 » by Rainwater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:58 am

I know Chet will be good but every time I watch him play he really doesn’t do much he may even be the third option. SGA is doing much of the work. Paolo has to do everything for the magic.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,898

Post#118 » by Rainwater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:09 am

sfernald wrote:
FrightCoward wrote:
zero rings wrote:

His defense might be good but not really being asked to do as much as Paolo.
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 530

Post#119 » by DrModesty » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:17 am

Jalen Williams stats

2022/23

Oct/Nov - 10.7/3.2/2.6
December - 12.3/4.2/2.7
January - 13.6/4.5/3.1
February - 14.9/4.5/3.1
Mar/April - 18.7/5.5/4.3

2023/24

Oct/Nov - 17.3/4.1/3.8
December - 18.8/3.7/4.2
January - 19.9/4.3/5.4
February so far (4 games) - 25/4.5/6

It is just a constant and steady improvement. The only time he has taken any step back at all is from the final month of last year to the first month of this year. And that can be put down to facing a lot of tanking, g league squads at the end of last year, and incorporating Chet at the start of this year.

I am at the point now where I'd be disappointed if he turned in to Jalen Brown.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,342

Post#120 » by sfernald » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:47 am

DrModesty wrote:Jalen Williams stats

2022/23

Oct/Nov - 10.7/3.2/2.6
December - 12.3/4.2/2.7
January - 13.6/4.5/3.1
February - 14.9/4.5/3.1
Mar/April - 18.7/5.5/4.3

2023/24

Oct/Nov - 17.3/4.1/3.8
December - 18.8/3.7/4.2
January - 19.9/4.3/5.4
February so far (4 games) - 25/4.5/6

It is just a constant and steady improvement. The only time he has taken any step back at all is from the final month of last year to the first month of this year. And that can be put down to facing a lot of tanking, g league squads at the end of last year, and incorporating Chet at the start of this year.

I am at the point now where I'd be disappointed if he turned in to Jalen Brown.

Did you see the game today? He looked like the best player out there even with SGA, Chet, Paulo and Franz playing.

Return to The General Board