Let's talk Jalen Brunson foul baiting

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

How egregious is Jalen Brunson foul baiting?

Embiid/Harden, Top level
23%
Giannis/Doncic/SGA level
15%
Lillard/Butler/AD level
24%
Average star
20%
Below average
6%
What Foul baiting?
10%

Total votes: 143

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,620

Re: Let's talk Jalen Brunson foul baiting 

Post#101 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 12:28 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:You keep repeating something thats not true. Sorry. I'll go by the video from the NBA itself explaining the rule. You can keep crying though.

What video?

The video I posted has a video from the NBA inside of it explaining why its a defensive foul..

You replied but didn't even watch the video, thats crazy.

Link it again, so I can see it. You want to prove a point, then show me the evidence.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#102 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 12:29 am

eyeatoma wrote:
cgf wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

Read on Twitter

Both the same play. Sorry, you can't argue this. It's clear as day.

You realize that Brunson gets the basket on that play right...this is nothing like what Embiid does :lol:

Absolutely not true.

Watch the clip to the end. The ball goes through the hoop. This isn't Joel just flinging the ball in the air and himself to the ground. Jalen has to play through contact so often that he braces for it and still gets the bucket. That way if the refs miss the call, like they often do, he's still getting the points. He's not banking on the refs to bail him out of having to create a good look.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#103 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 12:31 am

cgf wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
cgf wrote:
You realize that Brunson gets the basket on that play right...this is nothing like what Embiid does :lol:

Absolutely not true.

Watch the clip to the end. The ball goes through the hoop. This isn't Joel just flinging the ball in the air and himself to the ground. Jalen has to play through contact so often that he braces for it and still gets the bucket. That way if the refs miss the call, like they often do, he's still getting the points. He's not banking on the refs to bail him out of having to create a good look.

Plenty of calls where he doesn't make the shot and still get's the call for contact he exaggerates.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,104

Post#104 » by Im Coming Home » Sat May 4, 2024 12:31 am

eyeatoma wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Foul baiting is and will always be part of the game. If you can bend some rules for your advantage, good for you. Brunson's is as egregious as that of (prime) Harden or current Embiid but he's a smart player so he's going to fish for those fouls, especially in crucial moments.

That's fine, all I ask is people have the same feelings towards Embiid's foul baiting then. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

THey're not even close to the same thing though.

Brunson blows by his defender and his defender runs into him. Constantly attacking the paint, etc.

Embiid gets phantom foul calls on turnaround jumpshots where the defender didn't even touch him, he's thrown his body backwards on jumpshots and dangerously just throws himself on the floor while going up for a shot and gets calls just because of how it looks despite no foul occuring. Very different things, you're just trying to act like its the same to make yourself feel better and to try and bring down Brunson to Embiid's pathetic level of foul baiting and its not going to happen and isn't true.

A guy who goes to the paint as much as Brunson deserves more FTAs than he already gets, the statistics show that for some reason he doesn't get them despite constantly going to the paint and getting hit with contract. He was 15th in FTAs and yet was like 4th in drives to the paint, anyone else in the top 5 were also in the top 5 in FTAs per game.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#105 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 12:33 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Foul baiting is and will always be part of the game. If you can bend some rules for your advantage, good for you. Brunson's is as egregious as that of (prime) Harden or current Embiid but he's a smart player so he's going to fish for those fouls, especially in crucial moments.

That's fine, all I ask is people have the same feelings towards Embiid's foul baiting then. Don't hate the player, hate the game...

Brunson blows by his defender and his defender runs into him. Constantly attacking the paint, etc.

Embiid gets phantom foul calls on turnaround jumpshots where the defender didn't even touch him, he's thrown his body backwards on jumpshots and dangerously just throws himself on the floor while going up for a shot and gets calls just because of how it looks despite no foul occuring. Very different things, you're just trying to act like its the same to make yourself feel better and to try and bring down Brunson to Embiid's pathetic level of foul baiting and its not going to happen and isn't true.

A guy who goes to the paint as much as Brunson deserves more FTAs than he already gets, the statistics show that for some reason he doesn't get them despite constantly going to the paint and getting hit with contract. He was 15th in FTAs and yet was like 4th in drives to the paint, anyone else in the top 5 were also in the top 5 in FTAs per game.

Neither one of us are going to convince the other, so let's just leave it at that.
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#106 » by Im Coming Home » Sat May 4, 2024 12:33 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

What video?

The video I posted has a video from the NBA inside of it explaining why its a defensive foul..

Link it again, so I can see it. You want to prove a point, then show me the evidence.

Read on Twitter

This video explaining the Brunson play, also uses a video from the NBA itself at :35 seconds in explaining the rules with another Brunson play, it literally says why it is a defensive foul, and then shows you an illegal play afterwards that shows the "Trae Young" type of move which is NOT what Brunson does.

Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#107 » by Im Coming Home » Sat May 4, 2024 12:35 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Neither one of us are going to convince the other, so let's just leave it at that.

Aka "I'm wrong and you got me so I'mma just say something like agree to disagree" despite this not being a discussion but more of you being proven wrong and told the facts.

cgf
RealGM

Post#108 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 12:35 am

eyeatoma wrote:
cgf wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Absolutely not true.

Plenty of calls where he doesn't make the shot and still get's the call for contact he exaggerates.

You and Joel should really consider couples counseling. I know a toxic relationship when I see it, I was in one for 9 years.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#109 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 12:40 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:The video I posted has a video from the NBA inside of it explaining why its a defensive foul..

Read on Twitter

This video explaining the Brunson play, also uses a video from the NBA itself at :35 seconds in explaining the rules with another Brunson play, it literally says why it is a defensive foul, and then shows you an illegal play afterwards that shows the "Trae Young" type of move which is NOT what Brunson does.

I see the difference, still a cheap way to get fouls. YOu're basically running, and then waiting for the guy to run into you. Yeah he made the shot, it's literally impossible for someone to not foul him in that situation. Your momentum carries you forward.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#110 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 12:40 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:THey're not even close to the same thing though.

Aka "I'm wrong and you got me so I'mma just say something like agree to disagree" despite this not being a discussion but more of you being proven wrong and told the facts.

You were proven wrong, by the NBA in game 2, and went hard for the Knicks having earned that victory. Keep that same energy on this one lol. Pot meet kettle.
cgf
RealGM

Post#111 » by cgf » Sat May 4, 2024 12:42 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Read on Twitter

I see the difference, still a cheap way to get fouls. YOu're basically running, and then waiting for the guy to run into you. Yeah he made the shot, it's literally impossible for someone to not foul him in that situation. Your momentum carries you forward.

You say it's cheap but if refs don't call it guys can just grab & whack Jalen from behind, even though he's blown past them already. We watched that happen over and over again this regular season. If Jalen doesn't brace for it, he's less likely to finish through the contract and more likely to get blocked.

Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#112 » by Im Coming Home » Sat May 4, 2024 12:43 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Read on Twitter

You can stop him from blowing by you, that would be step #1 in stopping it.

Or trust your help defense in the paint.

Knicks defense is so good because of defensive rotations when they do get blown by, the players almost never try to even recover onto the player and will immediately know where they have to rotate.

That would be 2 ways to stop it, but yeah its a strong, and smart play, and completely legal. It becomes illegal when you do things like Trae used to, or Curry did in the video, jumping to the sides and stuff like that and backwards.

I'm not going to pretend like its not Brunson's intention to also draw the foul, but it is totally a basketball play to do a dribble pull up jumpshot when you blow by a defender, it makes basketball sense, so why shouldn't he be rewards for making a good offensive move(blowing by his defender) and why should the defender be rewarded for playing bad defense(letting the guy blow by him)

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#113 » by Phish Tank » Sat May 4, 2024 12:43 am

y'all are wasting your time talking about Brunson's "foul baiting"
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#114 » by Im Coming Home » Sat May 4, 2024 12:47 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

You were proven wrong, by the NBA in game 2, and went hard for the Knicks having earned that victory. Keep that same energy on this one lol. Pot meet kettle.

They did. You have to understand that yes, there was a missed call at the end, but the Knicks still had to make winning plays in order to win, the refs didn't literally award the Knicks 3 points on the board. The Knicks had to hit that Brunson 3, steal the ball(which was a foul according to the L2M) but then also get a 3, they MISSED it, Hartenstein then had to get the offensive rebound over 4 Sixers, somehow get that pass back out to OG despite falling down inbetween 4 Sixers, and Divo still had to hit the big 3. AND the game wasn't even over either, then Hartenstein had to also block Maxey's layup attempt too to win the game. Theres like 6-7 winning plays that if the Knicks doesn't make one of them they still lose despite the ONE missed call.

Its why I didn't make a huge deal about the Game 5 Maxey travel, because he still had to make the crazy and1 3, and then deep 3 right after, and then the Sixers still had to win it in OT so they earned it despite that missed Maxey call.

I hope you get what I'm saying here, I genuinely understand the frustration with game 2, but to also act like the Knicks didn't earn it AT ALL, is also disingenuous imo.

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,241

Post#115 » by MrBigShot » Sat May 4, 2024 1:19 am

What he does is nothing out of the ordinary for top 10-15 players
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#116 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:24 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:Aka "I'm wrong and you got me so I'mma just say something like agree to disagree" despite this not being a discussion but more of you being proven wrong and told the facts.

They did. You have to understand that yes, there was a missed call at the end, but the Knicks still had to make winning plays in order to win, the refs didn't literally award the Knicks 3 points on the board. The Knicks had to hit that Brunson 3, steal the ball(which was a foul according to the L2M) but then also get a 3, they MISSED it, Hartenstein then had to get the offensive rebound over 4 Sixers, somehow get that pass back out to OG despite falling down inbetween 4 Sixers, and Divo still had to hit the big 3. AND the game wasn't even over either, then Hartenstein had to also block Maxey's layup attempt too to win the game. Theres like 6-7 winning plays that if the Knicks doesn't make one of them they still lose despite the ONE missed call.

Its why I didn't make a huge deal about the Game 5 Maxey travel, because he still had to make the crazy and1 3, and then deep 3 right after, and then the Sixers still had to win it in OT so they earned it despite that missed Maxey call.

I hope you get what I'm saying here, I genuinely understand the frustration with game 2, but to also act like the Knicks didn't earn it AT ALL, is also disingenuous imo.

Then you should get the frustration for why Maxey wasn't getting those calls all series, when he was mauled in the paint, and drew far more contact than Brunson.

In part yes the Knicks earned it. They hustled, and made something out of nothing and Donte hit that three, they don't do that they lose. The point is that they would have never gotten that opportunity if the ref called the 2 fouls on Maxey or granted the timeout.

I'm glad for the Knicks, but this series was mismanaged horribly by the refs. The NBA has become such a **** product and this is another example. INspite of them they made it the best 1st round series of all time, which should have gone to 7. In the end it's the fans that miss out.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#117 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:26 am

MrBigShot wrote:What he does is nothing out of the ordinary for top 10-15 players

Sure then people should say the same thing about Embiid who is a top 3 at worst player in the world.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,478

Post#118 » by RunOKC » Sat May 4, 2024 1:27 am

He has to with how refs call he game for him from what I've seen

The fouls he baited in the late fourth were just smart plays against Defenders riding him too close
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#119 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:28 am

RunOKC wrote:He has to with how refs call he game for him from what I've seen

The fouls he baited in the late fourth were just smart plays against Defenders riding him too close

That's how Embiid gets some of his calls. Defenders barely touch him, but that's technically a foul. People need to keep that same energy.
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#120 » by Im Coming Home » Sat May 4, 2024 10:31 am

Return to The General Board