Magic go star-chasing

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Magic's main target should be ...

Poll ended at Mon May 13, 2024 3:21 pm

Pascal Siakam
8%
OG Anunoby
13%
DeMar DeRozan
7%
D'Angelo Russell
6%
Malik Monk
24%
Bruce Brown
3%
Klay Thompson
26%
Buddy Hield
1%
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
6%
Tyus Jones
7%

Total votes: 144

magicsanta
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Magic go star-chasing 

Post#101 » by magicsanta » Wed May 8, 2024 6:41 pm

Onus wrote:
magicsanta wrote:
Onus wrote:This! Please this.

But really they need a real pg that can get easier shots for them. Who can also shoot. We can also trade you cp3 as a filler until that player becomes available.

I don't blame you for not having been watching the Magic but NO, they went positionless a long time ago, they're clearly looking for elite shooting as the ball handling is shared between Suggs, Wagner and Banchero in the starting line up

It’s not the ball handling it’s about setting up an offense that isn’t just isolation and drives by those 3 players. Just feels like Paolo and franz can get easier shots if they had someone setting them up.

But yes shooting is priority 1.

I don't know how they see it, but they were a couple of games short of the 2nd seed the way they are with suggs and harris in the back court. And those guys (suggs, banchero, wagner) are very young and developing, I'd rather replace harris for an elite 3pt shooter and maybe get a PG for depth rather than messing with what's working, I'd even try to improve center before point guard (I like Isaac but he's injury prone and Carter is good but improvable)

Suggs
FA
Wagner
Banchero
Isaac/FA

To build on what worked
A lonesome morning
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,004

Post#102 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed May 8, 2024 6:51 pm

They need someone who can both pass and shoot (defense isn't as important depending on who they have to give up.) Tyus Jones is the only guy on that list who even comes close. Watching Franz and Paolo try to initiate in the playoffs was like watching Ronald McDonald playing the McDonald's All-Americans solo.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
magicsanta
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#103 » by magicsanta » Wed May 8, 2024 9:05 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:They need someone who can both pass and shoot (defense isn't as important depending on who they have to give up.) Tyus Jones is the only guy on that list who even comes close. Watching Franz and Paolo try to initiate in the playoffs was like watching Ronald McDonald playing the McDonald's All-Americans solo.

It's a 22 and a 21 year old respectively that you're talking about, who fell 2 games short of the 2nd seed in the conference and one game short of the 2nd round after that. So it seems worth building on that clownery rather than giving the ball to whom? Tyus Jones? a back up PG of whose caliber they already have on the bench?
A lonesome morning
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#104 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed May 8, 2024 9:06 pm

Would be such an awesome roster for Doncic, too bad we are not in 2026 (I mean I obviously want him to stay, but we didn't build around him too well).
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,086

Post#105 » by Wingy » Wed May 8, 2024 9:40 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:They can take Lavine for free if we don't get any bad contracts in return.

I actually think he'd be a good fit their surrounded by defenders and ball handlers.

I do as well.
- Orlando has the defensive players to help w/his off-ball brain farts (he can actually lock-in really well on-ball as you know)
- Volume, high% shooter from distance, generally a bucket getter. Seemed to be improving in his ability to get to the line 2nd half of last season
- Doesn't have to be the finisher since Paolo can do that, which masks one of his weaknesses

Salary and injury are definitely a risk, but that makes him a buy low candidate with potential high reward in a theoretically better fitting environment.

He only has 2 years left before a PO, so he'll surely want to be extended before then and that will mean they move on or if everything worked out, maybe they do extend him. With the TV deal coming, and more new contracts being signed, I don't think the size of his deal will be as big a factor then as it's being discussed now. Not to trivialize it, I just think the severity/intensity in the way people think about it now will change a lot in two years.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#106 » by anotherhomer » Wed May 8, 2024 9:44 pm

cgf wrote:See if you can overpay IQ enough for Toronto not too match, then look to trade for a trade like Garland / Simons / Murray

IQ isn't a half-court creator....he's good at generating offense but he can be shutdown in crunch time...
plus IQ wants to be on a team where he's guaranteed a steady diet of shots
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#107 » by cgf » Wed May 8, 2024 9:48 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
cgf wrote:See if you can overpay IQ enough for Toronto not too match, then look to trade for a trade like Garland / Simons / Murray

IQ isn't a half-court creator....he's good at generating offense but he can be shutdown in crunch time...

IQ can create in the half court. With his ability to get to the line + his floater-game, he is absolutely a threat to drive and create. He can absolutely play off the ball and run around off Paolo, and get out in transition too, but you can give him the ball in half court sets and expect good looks if he's your #3.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,093

Post#108 » by bledredwine » Wed May 8, 2024 10:13 pm

I feel terrible for them, if this is the list of players they must rely on to form a competitive roster.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#109 » by bstein14 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:21 pm

If they are going for an older guy, a two year deal makes the most sense for sure... if thing don't work out they are a large expiring contract after a year to possibly move in a deal for a better fit or younger player. Klay 2 years $50 million makes way more sense than Klay 3 years $66 million.
OhMyGodBecky
Sophomore
And1: 405

Post#110 » by OhMyGodBecky » Wed May 8, 2024 10:25 pm

Monk or Tyus would be good. Some stability at the PG slot or a SG and third option who can create his own shots. Both contribute to their youth movement too, as opposed to Klay who turns 35 next Feb.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 140

Post#111 » by Astaluego » Wed May 8, 2024 10:28 pm

trade for Simons, say what you want about the kid, but he's an elite shooter, super young... I think if they had had him, they would eliminate Cleveland
Old Mike Lorenzo
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,140

Post#112 » by The Real Dalic » Wed May 8, 2024 10:50 pm

bstein14 wrote:If they are going for an older guy, a two year deal makes the most sense for sure... if thing don't work out they are a large expiring contract after a year to possibly move in a deal for a better fit or younger player. Klay 2 years $50 million makes way more sense than Klay 3 years $66 million.

It would probably have to be 2 years 60 millions or even slightly more since he already turned down about 20+ per year from the Warriors if we want to believe that report.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#113 » by anotherhomer » Wed May 8, 2024 10:52 pm

cgf wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:

IQ can create in the half court. With his ability to get to the line + his floater-game, he is absolutely a threat to drive and create. He can absolutely play off the ball and run around off Paolo, and get out in transition too, but you can give him the ball in half court sets and expect good looks if he's your #3.

there need someone who's not on ball that much
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#114 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 12:22 am

anotherhomer wrote:
cgf wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:

there need someone who's not on ball that much

That's why IQ would be such a good fit, he doesn't need the ball to make a big impact but he can make a big impact with the ball. He was fantastic sharing the court with Brunson & Randle; playing next to Paolo & Franz would be no problem.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 410

Post#115 » by Mad Guru » Thu May 9, 2024 12:43 am

Toronto can't let IQ go, he's the only thing to show for losing most of their roster
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,112

Post#116 » by jordanwilliams6 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:44 am

bledredwine wrote:I feel terrible for them, if this is the list of players they must rely on to form a competitive roster.

I mean they were the 5th seed and just lost a 7 game series with an extremely young roster. The roster is already highly competitive. They are at the point where they can add one or two complimentary players to better compete with the top seeded teams.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,620

Post#117 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:08 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Magic will enter this offseason with huge cap space. They will be able to offer a fat contract to star players. And it looks like they are seriously considering it. Magic have been linked with Paul George and Klay Thompson.

But I think it's unlikely that Magic can attract A-level star like Paul George and LeBron James. Paul George is already playing in his hometown. LeBron has publicly said he'd rather retire than getting traded to Orlando. So they might have to settle for B-level star or lower. I could be wrong though.

Who should be Magic's main target?

Note: The listed options are subjectively selected by me. I chose players who I believe would be open to go to Orlando if the money is right.

Where's Paul George, the most likely player they try to target, and who has been heavily rumored.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,564

Post#118 » by SunsLyf3 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:14 am

It won't happen and I want to see a full offseason/training camp with the "big 3" but Bradley Beal makes too much sense. Can be in that Batman and Robin role with Banchero while he develops.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,282

Post#119 » by xdrta+ » Thu May 9, 2024 1:51 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
bstein14 wrote:If they are going for an older guy, a two year deal makes the most sense for sure... if thing don't work out they are a large expiring contract after a year to possibly move in a deal for a better fit or younger player. Klay 2 years $50 million makes way more sense than Klay 3 years $66 million.

It would probably have to be 2 years 60 millions or even slightly more since he already turned down about 20+ per year from the Warriors if we want to believe that report.

That was before he had a crappy year. 2yr/48 was the report before the season. I'd bet he would jump at it now.
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,465

Post#120 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 9, 2024 2:07 am

SunsLyf3 wrote:It won't happen and I want to see a full offseason/training camp with the "big 3" but Bradley Beal makes too much sense. Can be in that Batman and Robin role with Banchero while he develops.

Beal is untradeable with his contract and what the Suns gave up for him (plus he is a close friend of KD and Phoenix don't want to upset Durant)

I have never been to Florida, but I don't understand why Miami has always been a destination city for potential stars/free agents but not Orlando ? Reckon it would be awesome playing next/near to Disney Land.

Return to The General Board