Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,386

Re: Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team 

Post#101 » by KembaWalker » Wed May 8, 2024 3:13 pm

Nuggets have the role player pieces in place, they just need a true 2nd option
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#102 » by ChipotleWest » Wed May 8, 2024 3:16 pm

Nuggets look unathletic old and slow against the Wolves, but so will almost every team. There is a good chance they're going to win multiple championships and be the team in the NBA going forward. I think they're going to win it this year.

I mean from Denver you could try to trade Murray or MPJ if there's an upgrade, I'm just not sure if there would be. You don't just shuffle the deck just to do it.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,578

Post#103 » by Saints14 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:18 pm

I mean, if they have a clear opportunity to get better, then sure. But literally a week ago we were talking about how this was a perfectly constructed team around Jokic, so any talks of breaking it up after 2 bad games seem insane to me. The only thing that's been "exposed" is that maybe this is just a run of the mill contending team and not some ATG dynasty in the making. But we've seen this core, when healthy, win the title in convincing fashion. Yeah they had some injury luck but pretty much all teams that advance far will get that - OKC will likely make the WCF by beating the Zion-less Pels and a hobbled Luka, and now Minnesota is facing Denver themselves with a banged up Murray. I'd feel great about going into next season with the same core if I'm Denver and just hoping for better injury luck
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,346

Post#104 » by DaFan334 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:18 pm

I don't think that's their plan at all. Calvin Booth, their President of Basketball operations, stated at the beginning of the year that they would sacrifice some success this year to build something sustainable for years to come when explaining their bench moves this year. They will need to make adjustments if this year ends the way it is going right now, but outside of this TWolves team, which was built to beat them, they didn't have much trouble with anyone else this year.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 774

Post#105 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Wed May 8, 2024 3:19 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Nuggets have the role player pieces in place, they just need a true 2nd option

I kinda think this is true. Jamal is that guy when he’s healthy - which is almost never.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,546

Post#106 » by Pattycakes » Wed May 8, 2024 3:22 pm

I think they just need something besides Murray at this point. His injuries plus the progression of the thunder and wolves requires movement from them.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,102

Post#107 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed May 8, 2024 3:22 pm

I feel like it's their forwads Gordon/MPJ that are the issue, Gordon is there to defend the guys MPJ can't and MPJ is there for the offense and shooting Gordon can't provide. Neither one of them can do much in the half court without being setup and in this series Gordon's presence on offense is a huge detriment to the team as the Wolves are going to live with him shooting threes.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,099

Post#108 » by LaLover11 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:26 pm

LeBronSpaghetti wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Nuggets have the role player pieces in place, they just need a true 2nd option

I kinda think this is true. Jamal is that guy when he’s healthy - which is almost never.

Bronny
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#109 » by cgf » Wed May 8, 2024 3:29 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:What would a trade package for Jokic even look like?

Randle + Robinson + 6-8 FRPs*?

*2-4 unprotected NYK + 2-4 protected from DAL/DET/MIL/WSH
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,504

Post#110 » by levon » Wed May 8, 2024 3:32 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:I know this might get flamed a little bit on here, but I'm hoping that Jokic/Doncic are communicating quietly and privately about a team up a la LeBron/Wade/Bosh. I'd prefer to see it in Denver, but Dallas wouldn't be a bad option. He could go to Denver brass and state "hey, I've led y'all to the promised land and now would like a favor returned - trade me to Dallas without tearing apart their team"... something like Jokic for a bunch of picks (2nds), Kleber, THJ, Powell and Washington.

We're now heading into Jokic's 9th season and the man hasn't played with a single all-NBA, all-star, or all-defensive team player in his entire career. The only one in his vicinity during the first 8 years was KG who had 2 such teammates. Time for him to team up with another superstar and star.

I tried to quote this post initially but missed and clicked "report", which in hindsight would have been more appropriate.

Trading the best player in the world in his prime for a bunch of nobody role players and seconds would get a GM publicly executed.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#111 » by Cubbies2120 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:32 pm

Anyone see the Gilbert Arenas texts video? Apparently a bench player said Jokic is done with the season. Would be very disappointing to hear but seeing the bums he’s surrounded with, I get it.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,787

Post#112 » by Harry Garris » Wed May 8, 2024 3:33 pm

Their main limit is that Jamal Murray is hurt and if Kevin O'Connor is correct in his reporting, he's not only hurt, but he's also out of shape on top of that.

They lost a dude who was giving them 26/7/6 and playing at an all star level in the playoffs last year and replaced him with a guy who's been a below average starting guard. Even though he's putting up 20 a game his efficiency is awful and his defense has been even worse.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,220

Post#113 » by duppyy » Wed May 8, 2024 3:33 pm

People can be so fickle, a week ago people were saying Denver might repeat, now they should blow it up :lol:
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,299

Post#114 » by NYPiston » Wed May 8, 2024 3:39 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:
The person talking about this has covered the team for years and is a baller himself.

He sees it. I see it too.

The roster is limited. It's been that way, but now there's a better method to guard Jokic (that involves Gordon's limitations) and Minny has arrived.

If Denver wants more rings, it may be time to move on.

Beal? Meh. Getting a steady guard who can handle, distribute and defend may be a better move.

I'd also look at getting a stretch PF, and more ball handling/play making in terms of roster depth.

Limited? They are literally the defending Champion with the entire core still there. You don't have a "limited" roster when you've reached the pinnacle of the sport.

This is just a vast overreaction to a 2 game sample size, were all these cries to "blow it up" happening 5 days ago? They might not win this series but that still doesn't take away from the fact that they won a Championship with this same exact roster and in convincing fashion I should add so I don't see how it's a limited roster. Add some tweaks here and there and they'll be right there in the Championship mix again next season. I'm not even writing them off this season yet, this series isn't over.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,411

Post#115 » by shrink » Wed May 8, 2024 3:41 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:
Wingy wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:

This guy has covered the team for years. He's solid.

If you can't beat Minny, there are no more rings.

And Minny was built to beat the current Nuggets.

I think the guy is right.

The Wolves are about to hit the 2nd apron themselves unless they want to let SloMo walk. Like Denver they have no picks, and also rely heavily on a 37 year old Mike Conley to steer the ship. Things can change fast.

A lot of people don't realize this, but this TWolves team that was built to beat the Nuggets was done so by big spending. Overpaying for McDaniels and the Gobert contract, in particular. On top of maxing KAT and Ant. They're going to be facing difficult financial choices after next season. There's a chance they don't get to keep all 3 of their centers. Their window to win is this season and next season.

I agree that the Wolves will get expensive, I’m surprised that a Denver fan who has watched the playoffs would think McDaniels (team-leading +40) was an overpay. The Wolves didn’t sign Gobert to that contract, but the DPOY has clearly been worth his deal also considering how he’s turned this franchise around defensively.

Does anyone think these deals are bad contracts, or that other teams wouldn’t trade for these “overpays?”
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,767

Post#116 » by GeorgeSears » Wed May 8, 2024 3:48 pm

shrink wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:
Wingy wrote:
The Wolves are about to hit the 2nd apron themselves unless they want to let SloMo walk. Like Denver they have no picks, and also rely heavily on a 37 year old Mike Conley to steer the ship. Things can change fast.

A lot of people don't realize this, but this TWolves team that was built to beat the Nuggets was done so by big spending. Overpaying for McDaniels and the Gobert contract, in particular. On top of maxing KAT and Ant. They're going to be facing difficult financial choices after next season. There's a chance they don't get to keep all 3 of their centers. Their window to win is this season and next season.

I agree that the Wolves will get expensive, I’m surprised that a Denver fan who has watched the playoffs would think McDaniels (team-leading +40) was an overpay. The Wolves didn’t sign Gobert to that contract, but the DPOY has clearly been worth his deal also considering how he’s turned this franchise around defensively.

Does anyone think these deals are bad contracts, or that other teams wouldn’t trade for these “overpays?”

Of course, McDaniels is a strong role player (emphasis on role player). The point is, you don't pay a role player who's averaging under 10 ppg nearly $30M/year. It's an overpay because no one else could justify paying him that kind of money. He's obviously not there to score. He's there to play defense. It's still not a logical move. The TWolves bit the bullet and paid him (knowing full well the consequences of the decision two years down the line) because they needed him in this matchup and his length is important for their defensive system.
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,119

Post#117 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 3:49 pm

Harry Garris wrote:Their main limit is that Jamal Murray is hurt and if Kevin O'Connor is correct in his reporting, he's not only hurt, but he's also out of shape on top of that.

They lost a dude who was giving them 26/7/6 and playing at an all star level in the playoffs last year and replaced him with a guy who's been a below average starting guard. Even though he's putting up 20 a game his efficiency is awful and his defense has been even worse.

KCP also might be hurt as well.
shrink
RealGM

Post#118 » by shrink » Wed May 8, 2024 3:55 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:
shrink wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:

Of course, McDaniels is a strong role player (emphasis on role player). The point is, you don't pay a role player who's averaging under 10 ppg nearly $30M/year. It's an overpay because no one else could justify paying him that kind of money. He's obviously not there to score. He's there to play defense. It's still not a logical move. The TWolves bit the bullet and paid him (knowing full well the consequences of the decision two years down the line) because they needed him in this matchup and his length is important for their defensive system.

The Wolves locked up the 23-year old McDaniels for five years (with Ant, no player option) at $26 mil a year. He can score, but he focuses on defense, and with his length and ability to navigate screens, he’s one of the very best wing defenders in the league. Ask Booker or Murray.

“No one would pay that” seems like crazy talk to me, especially when you are watching what he can do.
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,648

Post#119 » by ___Rand___ » Wed May 8, 2024 3:55 pm

SpreeS wrote:Era of bigs (Jokic/Giannis/Embiid) could be very short :) Looking at MIN/OKC/IND/BOS/NY/DAL guards/wings bounce back. And MIN/OKC could be TOP2 teams for next decade.

How do you look at Minny with 2 bigs in Gobert and Towns and say the era of Bigs is over? They are as dominant as they are because of those 2.
shrink
RealGM

Post#120 » by shrink » Wed May 8, 2024 4:02 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
SpreeS wrote:Era of bigs (Jokic/Giannis/Embiid) could be very short :) Looking at MIN/OKC/IND/BOS/NY/DAL guards/wings bounce back. And MIN/OKC could be TOP2 teams for next decade.

How do you look at Minny with 2 bigs in Gobert and Towns and say the era of Bigs is over? They are as dominant as they are because of those 2.

Yes. Nuggets won last year with three bigs. Bucks and Lakers 2-3 years ago. Celtics went out and added Porzingas. Wolves this year lean into size.

I think the Warriors smallball, “death line up,” caused many to over-react. The Warriors succeeded despite being small, because they had players with elite skills. More and more big men are developing these elite skills, and playing small is more and more putting teams at a disadvantage. The myth that Gobert can get played off the floor (when he was trying to guard 5 players in Utah), is quickly being exposed.

Teams without size are at a distinct disadvantage in 2024.

Return to The General Board