NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,411

Re: NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#101 » by Tottery » Fri May 10, 2024 12:30 am

Inside works because of the chemistry between the 4. If Shaq was removed, you'd be taking away a lot of banter and jokes between he and Barkley.

Other sports programs have been chasing that magic for a long time and fail. If TNT loses, I bet NBC brings the guys over. It is an Emmy winning show.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,587

Post#102 » by DaPessimist » Fri May 10, 2024 12:37 am

Probably an unpopular opinion, but as great as Inside the NBA has been, I think the show has run its course, and all parties involved would benefit from moving on to something new.

Whether NBC is going to provide an inferior product for the consumer is another topic. I get League Pass so I'm not overly concerned with the production and distribution model. The NBA is a small fraternity, so we're still going to be seeing all of the same people.

Losing NBATV will probably be the worst part to be honest.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,248

Post#103 » by Lalouie » Fri May 10, 2024 12:39 am

Wigginstime wrote:Charles Barkley basically confirmed this and stated he has an opt out clause in his TNT contract in the event TNT loses TV rights and has already had conversations with NBC and would go to NBC in the event this happen.

At the very least I would expect Barkley to go to NBC. Would be interesting to see if NBC would sign Shaq, EJ, or Kenny.

minus shaq
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,330

Post#104 » by KyRo23 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:40 am

Tottery wrote:Inside works because of the chemistry between the 4. If Shaq was removed, you'd be taking away a lot of banter and jokes between he and Barkley.

Other sports programs have been chasing that magic for a long time and fail. If TNT loses, I bet NBC brings the guys over. It is an Emmy winning show.

It worked for a long time without Shaq. I don't see how it wouldn't work again without him
nick p
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#105 » by nick p » Fri May 10, 2024 1:33 am

David Zaslav needs to go and who ever is running the tv contract negotiations for TNT has to go as well
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#106 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 2:35 am

https://youtu.be/r-uSWAJd9GE?si=JtDbW_R1ho3Yv954

Along with the song, NBC should retake NBA with much higher quality commentary. Maria Taylor will host NBA on NBC as the next Bob Costa. She will be much better than TNT on Inside the NBA which was just a sad comedy joke.

https://youtu.be/dxXQKsdxIv0?si=Mbqsi36nOJTYSKxk
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#107 » by donkeylips » Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 am

aj174 wrote:If only they can replace ESPN with NBC and keep TNT too

i was hoping for this
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#108 » by durden_tyler » Fri May 10, 2024 2:41 am

Still laughing at people who thought the NBA was too woke and won't get these titantic long-term deals. LOL
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,019

Post#109 » by TravisScott55 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:54 am

Losing Inside the NBA sucks. Hopefully they can move it to NBC. Won't be the same without Ernie.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,555

Post#110 » by Hoop Hunter » Fri May 10, 2024 3:29 am

Quattro wrote:Get ready to watch games on Peacock

Screw that. That really sucks. I hate streaming.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,001

Post#111 » by ForeverTFC » Fri May 10, 2024 3:40 am

Tottery wrote:Inside works because of the chemistry between the 4. If Shaq was removed, you'd be taking away a lot of banter and jokes between he and Barkley.

Most of us remember inside without Shaq. Honestly as long as they get Chuck, EJ and Kenny, it will be good.
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#112 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 4:25 am

Hoop Hunter wrote:

TNT is a pay cable thing for TV only. Their streaming platform is dated.

Streaming is da IN thing!
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#113 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 4:27 am

They will not bring anyone over cause they are boring.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,555

Post#114 » by Hoop Hunter » Fri May 10, 2024 4:38 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
Hoop Hunter wrote:

TNT is NOT free unless you pay for cable Lol

Streaming is da IN thing!

I didn't say anything about money.

I hate the way streaming works.
Can't just flip the channel fast.
The rewind and FF suck, most just has like a jump forward or back 15- 30 seconds.
The HD doesn't seem as sharp as Sat or cable. Both on my 77" OLED LG TV. I have 1 gig connection.
NFL looks horrible on AmazonPrime compared to DirecTV. Not even remotely close and they're both suppose 1080p.
Most formats you can't just DVR it. or start 30-40 minutes after it starts.

I despise streaming.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,135

Post#115 » by Potential » Fri May 10, 2024 4:43 am

Hiding the goat Kevin Harlan behind a paywall on "Amazon" would be one of the biggest tragedies in sports history.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#116 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 10, 2024 5:08 am

SkyHook wrote:NBC

1. Keep Ernie
2. Keep Chuck
3. Keep the behind the cameras staff
4. Forget that Shaq and Kenny exist

5. More Candace Parker
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#117 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 10, 2024 5:12 am

KembaWalker wrote:Says a lot that these networks with their huge broadcasting investments can’t find people that bring more value to the viewer than a catchy jingle that Tesh probably wrote in 2 minutes on the toilet

He was in Europe and left himself a voicemail, you blasphemous scoundrel!

SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,352

Post#118 » by SweaterBae » Fri May 10, 2024 5:15 am

Nah, Shaq is a tiny part of the culture there. There are so many other more important people. If they bring those 4 over it won't be even remotely the same.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,711

Post#119 » by shi-woo » Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 am

I'll never understand the amount of love the TNT group gets. How many "I have rings and you don't" jokes can you guys stomach?

I hope this means the NBA goes more in the direction of the NFL where they actually break the game down and explain it so the people at home can understand and learn. The best we get from these shows is Jet running to a big screen and "stop it right here. This is a pick, this is a role, and this is a defender not stopping the pick and the role." That's it. 3 stooges and an Alton Brown wannabe, it just seems like something that always should have been a special more than an actually show.

It probably wont happen, but I with the crew was more professional and geared towards the actual game, and not just a but of wise cracking ex players. In the era of podcasts this is just such an out dated model.

It's always bothered me that anyone who didn't play basketball could watch the NBA for a decade and not be able to tell you a damn thing about the actual game. Everyone knows what shotgun, pitch, hail mary, 3-4/4-3, flea flicker, cover 2, QB spy, crossrouts, ect ect

Do people even know what Horns is? Do people even know what the mythical triangle offense is? What a Box and 1 zone is? Elevator play?

I've met people who have watched the NBA for years, and never realized that plays are called and run for a large portion of the game :lol:

The game is fluid, I get it, but there has been zero effort to actually explain the game of basketball. I get watching to laugh at Chuck and Shaq acting like the 3 stooges but i would like some actual inside once in a while.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 16,841

Post#120 » by Mk0 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:32 am

HotRocks34 wrote:Please do it.

No more Kenny and Shaq would be amazing.

Someone either here or reddit said EJ wouldn't leave TNT. He has been there for almost 40 years and would just do MLB/golf.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel

Return to The General Board