Man, it must be rough being a Nets fan right now...

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Re: Man, it must be rough being a Nets fan right now... 

Post#101 » by ShootersShoot » Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

Drakeem wrote:Not going to let people bring hindsight and revolutionist history into this.

The Big 3 with KD/Kyrie/Harden was a no-brainer. It failed spectacularly, but not due to the on-court product like some of these other superteams. In fact, if they stay healthy they're almost guaranteed that Bucks ring. They had 3 all-time scorers and two of them doubling as playmakers. They wouldn't have the issues the Suns have or that the Clippers had before this year.

The Nets made the right moves to bring 3 talents of that magnitude together. The fact that COVID + injuries derailed them is a completely different story. I wonder which of you predicted COVID and Kyrie's unwillingness to take the vaccine before the pandemic started. Kyrie seems to be playing great in Dallas now, so clearly it wasn't a talent issue.

Yea it sucks how it ended with harden demanding a trade after kyrie was not allowed to play. If they would have had a chance to play together past that point along with the growth of guys like claxton and cam..who knows?
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 319

Post#102 » by Eatgreenz » Mon May 13, 2024 11:06 pm

Decipher wrote:As a Nets fan, I didn’t bother doing any research into this draft until I saw this thread

However, I had seen Sarr play in the NBL & a couple of others in NCAA

Explain to me in simple terms why I should be bothered about the Nets missing out on a bunch of middling prospects

Sarr is now projected to go #1 and he wouldn’t start for us & nor would most of the projected lottery and we absolutely suck

There saying reed Sheppard could possibly go 3. His basically Austin reaves/ tj McConnell. im not losing any sleep this draft is horrible
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#103 » by Karate Diop » Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
SomeBunghole wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:You're right, but the lockdown and subsequent NY / Brooklyn policies are what caused the rift. That's a once in a lifetime type event (hopefully) and hilariously on brand for the Nets :lol:

I swear, some of the stuff that happened in Brooklyn(and in Philly, when I think about it) in the past 5-6 years would seem preposterous if I was watching it in a sports movie. It just beggars belief.

You can go all the way back to the Dwightmare tbh. "I really liked the candy on the team plane, so I opted into my contract". D.Will's injury and decline, the Russian billionaire cheaping out right before the picks were due, etc. The Nets have had incredibly bad luck.

It dates all the way back to their NBA inception where the ABA had agreed to merge and right before the season began the Nets were forced to sell the rights to Dr. J in order to pay some bogus territorial rights fine / fee to the Knicks :lol:
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#104 » by Decipher » Mon May 13, 2024 11:58 pm

Eatgreenz wrote:
Decipher wrote:As a Nets fan, I didn’t bother doing any research into this draft until I saw this thread

Explain to me in simple terms why I should be bothered about the Nets missing out on a bunch of middling prospects

Sarr is now projected to go #1 and he wouldn’t start for us & nor would most of the projected lottery and we absolutely suck

There saying reed Sheppard could possibly go 3. His basically Austin reaves/ tj McConnell. im not losing any sleep this draft is horrible

In a vacuum, it would be better if we had that pick but we have the assets to trade for a high one if there’s someone of interest

We also need to find playing time for last year’s first round pick, Dariq Whitehead, who is still young and would have been a high lottery pick this year IF healthy
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,727

Post#105 » by shi-woo » Tue May 14, 2024 12:32 am

Eatgreenz wrote:

I could feel that if two of the picks didn't turn into Dame and Brown, two nothing players who turned into All-NBA. As fans though how do you feel about your team building playoff staples for other teams while your team keeps floundering? Because giving up on 6 Top picks, 3 of which turned into All-NBA players, that's gotta suck, mainly because it means your team is bad enough to get those picks all things considered.

Would you guys as Nets fans prefer if your team tried a traditional rebuild this time around, or have you liked the strategy of swinging for the fences every 5 years and missing out?

I went to a ton of Nets games over the years, and 18-19 was still my favorite team :lol: (mainly because Kyrie never played when I got tickets, same with KD. Harden is the only one of the Big 3 II saw play for the Nets :lol:)
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#106 » by Eatgreenz » Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 am

shi-woo wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:

I could feel that if two of the picks didn't turn into Dame and Brown, two nothing players who turned into All-NBA. As fans though how do you feel about your team building playoff staples for other teams while your team keeps floundering? Because giving up on 6 Top picks, 3 of which turned into All-NBA players, that's gotta suck, mainly because it means your team is bad enough to get those picks all things considered.

Would you guys as Nets fans prefer if your team tried a traditional rebuild this time around, or have you liked the strategy of swinging for the fences every 5 years and missing out?

I went to a ton of Nets games over the years, and 18-19 was still my favorite team :lol: (mainly because Kyrie never played when I got tickets, same with KD. Harden is the only one of the Big 3 II saw play for the Nets :lol:)

Stop brown always had all star potential and dame was a big time college player you wanna bet Sheppard never reaches all star player level. You cant gm scared you got a chance to have kd, kyrie, harden type talent you do it everytime
Eatgreenz
Senior

Post#107 » by Eatgreenz » Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 am

Decipher wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:

In a vacuum, it would be better if we had that pick but we have the assets to trade for a high one if there’s someone of interest

We also need to find playing time for last year’s first round pick, Dariq Whitehead, who is still young and would have been a high lottery pick this year IF healthy

Yea thats how weak this draft is we could easily into lottery if we choosr to. I trust Marks eye for draft talent

Dariq will be as good or way better than every one in the lottery in this draft. his still younger than alot of them. Just needs get that health right
Decipher
Rookie

Post#108 » by Decipher » Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 am

shi-woo wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:

I am on record as saying that I would have done the alleged Mikal trade for all our picks plus Green as at least that’s a direction

Plus it gives us Nets fans something to talk about in the offseason :lol:

That 2018 team was definitely fun to watch but let’s not kid ourselves that they were any good :lol:

The Kyrie Nets would probably have walked a title bar injury & nobody would be talking about this stuff now
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,555

Post#109 » by nbafan38 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 am

I'd still say the nets are in a better position than the suns. The nets moved on from their disaster, the suns are still stuck in it.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,137

Post#110 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 1:09 am

because people that are saying it's a weak draft class are wrong like they are every year. You'd think people would learn but nope, they just regurgitate these bad takes by draft "experts" year after year. Every team is worse off not having a first round pick and especially teams that don't have much talent like the Nets. Not having a high lottery pick is costing you a likely starter and at minimum a key role player.

Sarr would easily be your most talented player if you drafted him and maybe he wouldn't start at 19 y/o...maybe...but he'd at least replace Claxton should he walk. What's the point in pretending that that wouldn't matter or make a difference? Had Sarr played in the states he'd be considered as the same level of prospect as Evan Mobley was. He's essentially the exact same guy. But he wasn't so these "experts" don't see it and this draft class is deemed weak.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#111 » by Decipher » Tue May 14, 2024 1:18 am

nbafan38 wrote:I'd still say the nets are in a better position than the suns. The nets moved on from their disaster, the suns are still stuck in it.

KD deal looks better with every passing day
Decipher
Rookie

Post#112 » by Decipher » Tue May 14, 2024 1:42 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

because people that are saying it's a weak draft class are wrong like they are every year. You'd think people would learn but nope, they just regurgitate these bad takes by draft "experts" year after year. Every team is worse off not having a first round pick and especially teams that don't have much talent like the Nets. Not having a high lottery pick is costing you a likely starter and at minimum a key role player.

Sarr would easily be your most talented player if you drafted him and maybe he wouldn't start at 19 y/o...maybe...but he'd at least replace Claxton should he walk. What's the point in pretending that that wouldn't matter or make a difference? Had Sarr played in the states he'd be considered as the same level of prospect as Evan Mobley was. He's essentially the exact same guy. But he wasn't so these "experts" don't see it and this draft class is deemed weak.

We already have a Claxton replacement and Sarr wouldn’t be the most talented player on the Nets
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#113 » by Pointgod » Tue May 14, 2024 3:39 am

If anything the Nets are a cautionary tale of why you don’t trade superstar players when you already have picks out the door. They’ve managed to get the worst of both worlds. They’re a tanking team that doesn’t have their own picks and they’re just holding out hope that Phoenix will collapse (possible but not probable).

Nets should have just traded Kyrie for depth and resigned Harden. KD, Harden, Claxton, Cam Thomas and some defender is a decent playoff team. Run with that until the wheels fall off or you’re in the position to sign a free agent. It makes no sense to be bad when you owe another team a ton of picks.
Decipher
Rookie

Post#114 » by Decipher » Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 am

Pointgod wrote:If anything the Nets are a cautionary tale of why you don’t trade superstar players when you already have picks out the door. They’ve managed to get the worst of both worlds. They’re a tanking team that doesn’t have their own picks and they’re just holding out hope that Phoenix will collapse (possible but not probable).

Nets should have just traded Kyrie for depth and resigned Harden. KD, Harden, Claxton, Cam Thomas and some defender is a decent playoff team. Run with that until the wheels fall off or you’re in the position to sign a free agent. It makes no sense to be bad when you owe another team a ton of picks.

KD & Harden asked out with the latter actually quitting so not an option

We got value for KD because he resigned while Harden refused the offer

Return to The General Board