Bronny James dominates at the draft combine

Moderators: Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199

LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,082

Re: Bronny James dominates at the draft combine 

Post#101 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:34 pm

Prince187 wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:I was checking whether they published measurements like they did in the past, but came up with this interesting stuff:

"The 19-year-old was deemed to be 6"1½" tall without shoes, which is noticeably lower than the 6'4" he's listed at for his USC bio page. It's possible the Trojans measured him with shoes on, with the NBA having years ago standardized how each player's height is determined."

I'll approach this scientifically: Assuming the complex which the combine is held wasn't cold enough to cause players shrinking noticeably (Edey still looks tall), either USC/Bronny's camp were lying about his height or he was wearing these shoes.

Spoiler:

Seeing him listed at 6’4 in college was so crazy. I remember seeing him listed at 6’1 his senior year of high school. And high schools are notorious for boosting the measurements of any kid who has a shot at the next level. I think he’s actually just under 6’1 with shoes ON. Here he is next to Chris Paul who is listed at 6’ and measured 5’11 at the combine

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=LvcGqyVJ8gvMOqahRQSDVw

I believe Bronny being on the smaller side is great for longevity. He's going to be a Eric Bledsoe hybrid with Jrue hustle defense
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,071

Post#102 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue May 14, 2024 5:52 pm

Some team will use a first on him. Will be a waste but at least Lebron will have secured a small nest egg for his kid
Zukkoyaki
Junior
And1: 330

Post#103 » by Zukkoyaki » Tue May 14, 2024 5:55 pm

Kid is going to be the league's first legitimate nepo baby.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,376

Post#104 » by KembaWalker » Tue May 14, 2024 6:00 pm

Zukkoyaki wrote:Kid is going to be the league's first legitimate nepo baby.

Cory Higgins was probably the worst player in Bobcats history so you can imagine how bad that is, son of team president Rod Higgins. Seems he’s carved out a surprisingly nice career for himself in Europe though
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#105 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:03 pm

Modern Lillard with defense
Top 5 player in 4 yrs
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 542

Post#106 » by swyftdahoe » Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm

Bronny would do well to add more playground And1 mixtape shenanigans to his game. Some roughness around the edges would greatly help in making him less "stiff" on offense.

Anyways, he's going to be a lot better as a pro than the currently lowered expectations project.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#107 » by sikma42 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:22 pm

This Bronny James coverage is ridiculous. He looks bad out there by ever measure.

- not defending well.
- turning the ball over. Bad reads and lacking dexterity to make certain passes.
- shown zero ball handling ability.

If you expect him to just dance around the 3 point line looking for shots then he isn’t going to be successful. He isn’t that caliber or shooter. Guys like Patty Mills etc are level different than Bronny.

One thing he has done pretty well is cut off ball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#108 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 14, 2024 6:29 pm

LaLover11 wrote:Modern Lillard with defense
Top 5 player in 4 yrs

LMAO. Laker fans already talking themselves into the inevitable pick.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,879

Post#109 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue May 14, 2024 6:31 pm

A lot of hype for Boobie Gibson-esque player
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#110 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:32 pm

Oh man, I'm taking receipts here. Y'all are going to be in for a rude awakening once Bronny exceeds any and all expectations.

I see a bunch of clowns claiming he doesn't belong in the NBA and/or is getting by with nepotism (false!) but in reality he's going to be a guy you'll build your team around and a focal point on offense and POA on defense. I think he's going to be a modern-day Austin Rivers who's hopefully given a longer leash (because Austin was held back in an effort to punish Doc). I foresee 17/6/6 rookie numbers while being in contention for an all-D team.

It's at the point where I think anyone who proclaims he doesn't "deserve" to be there is a moron. Sorry he didn't put up 30ppg in college after having a heart attack (spare me his numbers) but he's about to feast on the bigger courts where he's gonna bully guards.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#111 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 14, 2024 6:35 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:A lot of hype for Boobie Gibson-esque player

Man, totalllly forgot about that guy.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#112 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 14, 2024 6:39 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:Oh man, I'm taking receipts here. Y'all are going to be in for a rude awakening once Bronny exceeds any and all expectations.

I see a bunch of clowns claiming he doesn't belong in the NBA and/or is getting by with nepotism (false!) but in reality he's going to be a guy you'll build your team around and a focal point on offense and POA on defense. I think he's going to be a modern-day Austin Rivers who's hopefully given a longer leash (because Austin was held back in an effort to punish Doc). I foresee 17/6/6 rookie numbers while being in contention for an all-D team.

It's at the point where I think anyone who proclaims he doesn't "deserve" to be there is a moron. Sorry he didn't put up 30ppg in college after having a heart attack (spare me his numbers) but he's about to feast on the bigger courts where he's gonna bully guards.

He very well may exceed expectations - they're pretty low so he has no where to go but up. You can't fault people for not giving him credit. He's an undersized PG who did literally jack **** in college (he wasn't given an opportunity even pre-HA). 17/6/6 and all-D team is an insane prediction for his rookie year.

Even if it comes true, betting on that is a 1000:1 shot based on literally zero evidence to suggest he can do that in the pros. If he actually had a CHANCE to do anything close to that, he would be a Top 3 player in this draft, Woj wouldn't be talking about him being the star of the G-League if drafted.
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#113 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:44 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:Oh man, I'm taking receipts here. Y'all are going to be in for a rude awakening once Bronny exceeds any and all expectations.

He very well may exceed expectations - they're pretty low so he has no where to go but up. You can't fault people for not giving him credit. He's an undersized PG who did literally jack **** in college (he wasn't given an opportunity even pre-HA). 17/6/6 and all-D team is an insane prediction for his rookie year.

Even if it comes true, betting on that is a 1000:1 shot based on literally zero evidence to suggest he can do that in the pros. If he actually had a CHANCE to do anything close to that, he would be a Top 3 player in this draft, Woj wouldn't be talking about him being the star of the G-League if drafted.

That's the point lol
LeBron wants him to not get drafted until #17
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,328

Post#114 » by HEKTOR » Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm

naabzor wrote:Did not know dominating now meant being second!

The story of Lebron being the GOAT.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,616

Post#115 » by azcatz11 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm

sikma42 wrote:This Bronny James coverage is ridiculous. He looks bad out there by ever measure.

- not defending well.
- turning the ball over. Bad reads and lacking dexterity to make certain passes.
- shown zero ball handling ability.

If you expect him to just dance around the 3 point line looking for shots then he isn’t going to be successful. He isn’t that caliber or shooter. Guys like Patty Mills etc are level different than Bronny.

One thing he has done pretty well is cut off ball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

His best comp is DiVo however DiVo is probably 100x better at Nova than bronny. That’s his path.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,821

Post#116 » by MarcusBrody » Tue May 14, 2024 6:58 pm

Wigginstime wrote:I heard the Nuggets were going draft him so he could get coached by his grand-daddy

I unironically think that the Nuggets would be one of the better landing spots for him. They don't have a clear backup point guard post-Reggie Jackson (depending how they feel about Colin Gillespie, who got very limited burn as a rookie and was ok, but not great when he did and is about to turn 25). They also have been willing to draft players with underwhelming college stats or health issues who they see the potential to develop.

I don't think Bronny is going to be a star in the league, but if he can become a reasonable shooter, I could see him developing into a solid backup point guard who distributes the ball and guards the point of attack.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,567

Post#117 » by SweaterBae » Tue May 14, 2024 7:09 pm

ThatClockWork wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
ThatClockWork wrote:I would burn a first on him. Toronto should. You have nothing to lose. But there are too many Bron haters that can't admit his son actually has some talent. That is just me though.

"you have nothing to lose"

:noway:

So to be clear for the record: you are rooting for that kid to fail?
Do you believe he does not deserve a chance?
Do you believe that he is not worth gambling on in a weak draft?
Do you believe that he does not have the skill necessary to perform or adapt at the NBA level?

Do you even have an opinion?

If you are hating on him just because of his dad, that reveals way more about you as a person. I hope for your sake, that is not the case.

Obviously it's impossible to have an adult conversation with you if the first thing you have to say is that something I never said is "for the record". It's an asinine statement to say there's nothing to lose and that "burning" an FRP is cool, nbd.

I believe players should earn what they get, and Bronny has done nothing to earn being invited to the combine. He took that spot from someone else more likely to make an impact at the next level because of his name and nothing more.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,595

Post#118 » by og15 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:09 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:I was checking whether they published measurements like they did in the past, but came up with this interesting stuff:

"The 19-year-old was deemed to be 6"1½" tall without shoes, which is noticeably lower than the 6'4" he's listed at for his USC bio page. It's possible the Trojans measured him with shoes on, with the NBA having years ago standardized how each player's height is determined."

I'll approach this scientifically: Assuming the complex which the combine is held wasn't cold enough to cause players shrinking noticeably (Edey still looks tall), either USC/Bronny's camp were lying about his height or he was wearing these shoes.

Spoiler:

Seeing him listed at 6’4 in college was so crazy. I remember seeing him listed at 6’1 his senior year of high school. And high schools are notorious for boosting the measurements of any kid who has a shot at the next level. I think he’s actually just under 6’1 with shoes ON. Here he is next to Chris Paul who is listed at 6’ and measured 5’11 at the combine

Read on Twitter

I believe Bronny being on the smaller side is great for longevity. He's going to be a Eric Bledsoe hybrid with Jrue hustle defense

Why does being 6'1.5 vs 6'3.5 for example helpful for longevity? I don't understand what you're basing this on.
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#119 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm

og15 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Why does being 6'1.5 vs 6'3.5 for example helpful for longevity? I don't understand what you're basing this on.

He could guard Point guard that are slimmer than him vs Shooting guards like Edwards, JW, Tatum etc

He will become a point guard with a good frame to bully the lighter players
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,474

Post#120 » by NoStatsGuy » Tue May 14, 2024 7:24 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:I just realised that Lebron stans are going to be around a lot longer if Bronny makes the league. Fml

unfortunately i can say the same about negative haters, that project their lebon hate onto his kid. yikes
im bout dat action boss

Return to The General Board