Report: Redick the favorite to become Lakers coach

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,594

Re: Report: Redick the favorite to become Lakers coach 

Post#101 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu May 16, 2024 6:42 pm

PedroFlu wrote:I'm still skeptic about this. Cant believe Lakers and specially Redick is that naive. Guy is putting himself in the position of quick and utter failure

You underestimate his ego.
100% he thinks he can lead them to a title with his brilliance.
Listen to his podcast some time. He thinks he's some basketball genius.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,759

Post#102 » by Revived » Thu May 16, 2024 6:43 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
chrismikayla wrote:JJ had the longest, most elaborate job interview of all time LOL.

Raptors interviewed him last year. Hornets as well. He eventually gets a shot somewhere. Lakers though... hope he gets any other chance than that sideshow.

Why doesn’t he try and get some experience as an assistant coach first instead of trying to jump straight to becoming a head coach?
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,330

Post#103 » by Johnny Bball » Thu May 16, 2024 6:45 pm

Revived wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
chrismikayla wrote:JJ had the longest, most elaborate job interview of all time LOL.

Raptors interviewed him last year. Hornets as well. He eventually gets a shot somewhere. Lakers though... hope he gets any other chance than that sideshow.

Why doesn’t he try and get some experience as an assistant coach first instead of trying to jump straight to becoming a head coach?

No idea beyond maybe he did plenty of that as a player.
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,594

Post#104 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu May 16, 2024 6:48 pm

Revived wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Because he's full of himself.
I'm sure he thinks coaching is easy and that he's smarter than every NBA coach he's ever had, and that him playing in the league a decade ago qualifies him to be a head coach despite zero experience.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,431

Post#105 » by ItsDanger » Thu May 16, 2024 6:53 pm

If true, safe to say that podcast with him and Lebron was a showcase at best, a sham at worst.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,917

Post#106 » by The Explorer » Thu May 16, 2024 6:53 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Revived wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

I'm sure he thinks coaching is easy and that he's smarter than every NBA coach he's ever had, and that him playing in the league a decade ago qualifies him to be a head coach despite zero experience.

He has the 'smartest guy in the room' vibes, you could tell the way he interacts with Stephen A on first take and his podcasts.
Steve Kerr did the same but he was always a humble guy who recognized his limitations and acknowledged how fortunate he was to be put in great situations.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,087

Post#107 » by Snakebites » Thu May 16, 2024 6:53 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
PedroFlu wrote:I'm still skeptic about this. Cant believe Lakers and specially Redick is that naive. Guy is putting himself in the position of quick and utter failure

You underestimate his ego.
100% he thinks he can lead them to a title with his brilliance.
Listen to his podcast some time. He thinks he's some basketball genius.

I take it you aren’t a fan…
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,756

Post#108 » by Forbes » Thu May 16, 2024 7:06 pm

I like JJ and I feel like this isn’t the position for him.

I feel like he probably knows this though. He will 100% be the scapegoat next May. However, potentially this is free money. Lebron probably told him I’m gonna get you paid.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,066

Post#109 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:10 pm

No reason for him not to do it. He will simply coach the way Lebron wants him to and after one or two seasons he will leave with a better resumé to continue his podcast career and a few more millions in his account
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,087

Post#110 » by Snakebites » Thu May 16, 2024 7:20 pm

Forbes wrote:I like JJ and I feel like this isn’t the position for him.

I feel like he probably knows this though. He will 100% be the scapegoat next May. However, potentially this is free money. Lebron probably told him I’m gonna get you paid.

What coach would be able to lead this team to their expressed goals?

It’s not a championship roster anymore.

He’d probably be better off taking over a rebuilding or up and coming team. But any new coach would be.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,378

Post#111 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 16, 2024 7:23 pm

:o JJ Redick on day 1 when he finds out running a Gortat screen every play doesn’t actually work
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,363

Post#112 » by BDM22 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 pm

The Explorer wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Revived wrote:Why doesn’t he try and get some experience as an assistant coach first instead of trying to jump straight to becoming a head coach?

He has the 'smartest guy in the room' vibes, you could tell the way he interacts with Stephen A on first take and his podcasts.
Steve Kerr did the same but he was always a humble guy who recognized his limitations and acknowledged how fortunate he was to be put in great situations.

I mean, he is the smartest guy in that room (by a lot) when it comes to basketball so...
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,289

Post#113 » by Edrees » Thu May 16, 2024 7:34 pm

I hope we dont go from playing major minutes to reddish to hiring Reddick. Just stay away from red, Lakers.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,179

Post#114 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 16, 2024 7:36 pm

I don't listen to his podcast. I'm assuming he must be different than on tv given how many fans he has. Because on TV he is nothing remarkable.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,996

Post#115 » by cdubbz » Thu May 16, 2024 7:36 pm

JJ Redick is too much of a peer to Lebron James.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Camby_Bamby
Ballboy
And1: 38

Post#116 » by Camby_Bamby » Thu May 16, 2024 7:44 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I don't listen to his podcast. I'm assuming he must be different than on tv given how many fans he has. Because on TV he is nothing remarkable.

The podcast where he's just talking hoops with NBA players is cool. Gives a behind the scenes look of untold stories and etc.

The newer one that's marketed as him and Bron talking "X's and O's" is indeed a farce. After two shows in, I recall them crapping on Miami Heat role players randomly. Nothing remarkable.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,359

Post#117 » by SNPA » Thu May 16, 2024 7:51 pm

Lol, and people mock the LeGM moniker.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,378

Post#118 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 16, 2024 7:52 pm

Bornstellar wrote:I'm not a LeBron hater by any means but it is kinda comical how it seems like his teams are always hiring rookie coaches when they have championship aspirations. I think we all know why that is :lol: I can't take Windhorst seriously when he says LeBron is not involved in the coach selections

How anyone can read a headline like this and think it's anything but Lebron essentially acting as a player-coach is beyond me. I just can't see Reddick standing up to Lebron when he needs to make a tough decision.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,228

Post#119 » by theFireBlanket » Thu May 16, 2024 8:04 pm

Mike Krzyzewski advising was like Lakers will fire Ham in a week. Called it. Just propping up the potential of his ex-player's profile as a coaching prospect.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,411

Post#120 » by Tottery » Thu May 16, 2024 8:09 pm

Honestly, I think JJ could be a solid coach 1 day. First gig being with the Lakers isn't a good move though. They scapegoat and fire you after 1 or 2 seasons. He needs to go somewhere with no aspirations and get experience for 3-5 seasons.

Return to The General Board