Sick of hearing people denigrate Gobert..(He's been great defensively)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CD_41
Junior
And1: 457

Re: Sick of hearing people denigrate Gobert..(He's been great defensively) 

Post#101 » by CD_41 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:49 pm

10DayContract wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:
Gobert got his DPOY for his impact on his team's defense overall. Not because he limits someone one-on-one or whatever.

Nobody can guard Jokić effectively one on one. Not Gobert, not Wemby, not AD, not Embiid. Nobody. You just try to make things difficult for him and get him to lose focus and disturb his teammates' rhythm.

He's a taller Larry Bird with a McHale-like post game.

100%.

Jokic dominated Bam Adebayo, Anthony Davis (2x), Rudy Gobert (2x) in the last two post-seasons.
All 3 are in the conversation for the best defensive big man in the game.

But of those 3, Rudy Gobert seems to get much more hate and I don't think it is because of the awards he's received.
I think people just don't like him. Guess what, I don't like him either.

But that does not mean you can throw all your objectivity overboard and just **** on a great player (which Gobert is).

Did he get cooked by Jokic? Yes.
Did all the other great C's as well? Yes.

He gets more flack than those guys cause at least they try to bust Jokic's ass on the offense end. Gobert provides no damn value if he can't defend. He fumbles balls that are spoon fed to him and fall all over the floor.

If Bam or AD were on the Wolves right now, they'd be winning the series.

Yeah the offense, or lack thereof, is a problem.
I'd argue though that 20% more production out of NAW, KAT and McDaniels would be enough to win the series.
But yeah, Gobert has to find more ways to contribute in the playoffs, which is not easy for older players since they rarely develop a new array of moves on offense.
"No sense in honoring an internet bet. This isn’t the real world get over stop crying like a baby."
"My first name is Hussien. Would you expect Saddam to honor a bet he made with Kuwait or the US?"

Hussein Fatal after losing a bet.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,600

Post#102 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu May 16, 2024 6:01 pm

nikster wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:Again...

A) In Game 5... Jokic was 8 - 9 fg (89%) when guarded by Gobert. (it's fine to rip Gobert for this game.)
B) In games 1,3 and 4... Jokic was 11 - 28 fg (39%) when guarded by Gobert... including 4 - 13 fg in game 4.*

But the world we live in (especially online) prevents us from looking at the bigger picture, using context, considering anything that happened beyond the past 24 hours, et al.

* according to JJ Redick.

I'm not even comfortable criticizing him for game 5. How many of those 8 made baskets were easy. Maybe one of them?

Dunno. But the bottom line is he got torched.

It is what it is.

We'll see tonight how the Wolves view that matchup...
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,600

Post#103 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu May 16, 2024 6:04 pm

CD_41 wrote:
10DayContract wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
100%.

Jokic dominated Bam Adebayo, Anthony Davis (2x), Rudy Gobert (2x) in the last two post-seasons.
All 3 are in the conversation for the best defensive big man in the game.

But of those 3, Rudy Gobert seems to get much more hate and I don't think it is because of the awards he's received.
I think people just don't like him. Guess what, I don't like him either.

But that does not mean you can throw all your objectivity overboard and just **** on a great player (which Gobert is).

Did he get cooked by Jokic? Yes.
Did all the other great C's as well? Yes.

He gets more flack than those guys cause at least they try to bust Jokic's ass on the offense end. Gobert provides no damn value if he can't defend. He fumbles balls that are spoon fed to him and fall all over the floor.

I'd argue though that 20% more production out of NAW, KAT and McDaniels would be enough to win the series.
But yeah, Gobert has to find more ways to contribute in the playoffs, which is not easy for older players since they rarely develop a new array of moves on offense.

Towns was atrocious in Game 4.

But it's sorta tough putting him in the same sentence with McDaniels when it comes to offense.

Towns:
19 ppg
8 reb
3 apg
51% / 52%

vs.

McDaniels:
7 ppg
4 reb
1 apg
38% / 17%

As for NAW, he's shooting 38/33... and he's taken more threes than Towns. Yikes.
CD_41
Junior

Post#104 » by CD_41 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:14 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
10DayContract wrote:

But it's sorta tough putting him in the same sentence with McDaniels when it comes to offense.

Towns:
19 ppg
8 reb
3 apg
51% / 52%

vs.

McDaniels:
7 ppg
4 reb
1 apg
38% / 17%

As for NAW, he's shooting 38/33... and he's taken more threes than Towns. Yikes.

You're right, KAT had obviously more offense production and efficiency as McDaniels.
But just in terms of expectation, you know? If the played more close to an actual All-Star-level.
I'm not **** on KAT though. He came back from an injury just recently.
"No sense in honoring an internet bet. This isn’t the real world get over stop crying like a baby."
"My first name is Hussien. Would you expect Saddam to honor a bet he made with Kuwait or the US?"

Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,736

Post#105 » by Invictus88 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:30 pm

CD_41 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
CD_41 wrote:

Towns:
19 ppg
8 reb
3 apg
51% / 52%

vs.

McDaniels:
7 ppg
4 reb
1 apg
38% / 17%

You're right, KAT had obviously more offense production and efficiency as McDaniels.
But just in terms of expectation, you know? If the played more close to an actual All-Star-level.
I'm not **** on KAT though. He came back from an injury just recently.

Gobert's offense wasn't the problem in game 5. He was 7-7 with 18 pts and was only a -2 +/- while on the court. That's actually pretty impressive stuff given how awesome of a game Jokic had (40pts, 10ast, 0 turnovers).
CD_41
Junior

Post#106 » by CD_41 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:53 pm

Not in game 5, but in general it seems like a problem.

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,305

Post#107 » by Impuniti » Thu May 16, 2024 7:08 pm

turnmeup88 wrote:
Doranku wrote:Agreed, Gobert is averaging a staggering 10/10/2 while holding the Joker down to 29/10/9. Put some respect on the 4x DPOY's name. Honestly they should give Gobert a 5th DPOY award for his defense on Jokic this series alone. Who else is capable of limiting Jokic to a 30 point triple double?

They gave Iguodala a Finals MVP for containing LeBron to 35/10/10 in the NBA finals lol.

Jokic is borderline unplayable when he's on, regardless of who is guarding him. Draymond is acting like he's all that and would hold him to anything better than what Rudy is doing... look at Jokic's number against the warriors this year.

Look at the number he put up against AD, same stuff.

Jokic's best game this season vs the Warriors was the only game Draymond played in. 33/16/16, one of the best games in the last 10 years in the regular season. He averaged over 30 on 64% TS vs the Warriors when they won the championship when he had no Murray or MPJ and some of the worst spacing on the floor, all the while Warriors regularly put two bodies on him.

Draymond is just far and away the least self aware idiot in the league right now. Maybe ever? Somehow though, a decent sized portion of the Warriors somehow go along with what he says. I just saw a recent post by Warrior fans agreeing with Dray and how he plays defense vs Jokic. Unfortunately, the Warriors have the dumbest and most delusional fanbase in the league. (discounting realgm 8-) )
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 813

Post#108 » by madskillz8 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:16 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sometimes I really feel tired of people who lacks simplest logical reasoning. I am talking about the tweet.

Not coincidentally, they are often the ones who act like the smartest in the room. Dunning-Kruger effect at its best.

Bam can be better in defending Jokic compared to Gobert AND Gobert can be the better overall defender, i.e., DPOY, at the same time. That's not really hard to understand.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,119

Post#109 » by NZB2323 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:25 pm

KG got torched by Dirk.
Duncan got torched by Amare.
Mutumbo got torched by Shaq.
Robinson got torched by Hakeem.
Kareem got torched by Moses.

Sometimes great offense beats great defense.

Did we forget how great of defense Gobert played in the previous round against the Suns? Did we forget that he led the Timberwolves to a #1 defensive rating during the season?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Post#110 » by Lalouie » Thu May 16, 2024 7:34 pm

man,,,everyone hates gobert

ask yourself why it's so universal
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,289

Post#111 » by Edrees » Thu May 16, 2024 7:38 pm

Handlez wrote:
ballzboyee wrote:I have been trying to figure what makes Jokic so unstoppable. And I think it is that Jokic does three things that I don't think I have ever seen in a player. He can finish with a baby left hook with either hand, he can shoot off either foot, and he doesn't appear to have any predictable tendencies when he goes to make his release. This last point is really important. If you watch him play, he doesn't target the basket with his eyes until very late in his move. It's almost like his shot is a kind of no-look pass that just happens to go in, and this kind of also explains why he is such great passer looking off his target. His playstyle is so unorthodox, I don't think he can be defended. Defenders cannot time his shot. He's a weird combination of Charles Barkley, Kevin McHale, and Magic Johnson. The NBA has never seen a player that really moves like Jokic. He's got the efficiency of Barkley, the length and post moves of McHale, and he has the court vision and feel of Magic. I am not sure there is anything Gobert can do in this situation.

Jokic is basically three of the GOATS in one player.

Nailed it with this post.

yeah it was a good post. I'd say he's not quite as good as those 3 in those skills but he's like 75% of each of them in those aspects.
MrGoat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,628

Post#112 » by MrGoat » Thu May 16, 2024 7:44 pm

If he doesn't want to get denigrated then he needs to stop getting torched in the playoffs and finally get past the second round. The old Houston teams always dispatched him with ease by just spamming 3s. He's been part of a blown 3-1 lead. He lost to the Clippers without Kawhi as a #1 seed. His defense against Jalen Brunson was so bad that's how Dallas lost him in free agency (Maxi freakin' Kleber also hit 8 3s in one of those games). He's working on blowing it against Jokic for a third time, and Minnesota's biggest win in the series was the game he missed. It's put up or shut up time for him
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,289

Post#113 » by Edrees » Thu May 16, 2024 7:44 pm

turnmeup88 wrote:
Doranku wrote:Agreed, Gobert is averaging a staggering 10/10/2 while holding the Joker down to 29/10/9. Put some respect on the 4x DPOY's name. Honestly they should give Gobert a 5th DPOY award for his defense on Jokic this series alone. Who else is capable of limiting Jokic to a 30 point triple double?

They gave Iguodala a Finals MVP for containing LeBron to 35/10/10 in the NBA finals lol.

Jokic is borderline unplayable when he's on, regardless of who is guarding him. Draymond is acting like he's all that and would hold him to anything better than what Rudy is doing... look at Jokic's number against the warriors this year.

Look at the number he put up against AD, same stuff.

The difference is the Lakers would get destroyed by the Nuggets by 50 points if AD didn't play. AD is "limiting" jokic to those numbers but he's also put up big numbers on the offensive end. If AD only had to score 10 points he'd have way more energy to focus on guarding Jokic. If Gobert was putting up 28 points a game he'd probably exert himself so hard, defensively he'd let Jokic score 60.

The reason Gobert's performance against Jokic is disappointing is because that's all he has to do, defend jokic. he's not asked to exert much energy offensively.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,254

Post#114 » by greg4012 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:49 pm

madskillz8 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sometimes I really feel tired of people who lacks simplest logical reasoning. I am talking about the tweet.

Not coincidentally, they are often the ones who act like the smartest in the room. Dunning-Kruger effect at its best.

Bam can be better in defending Jokic compared to Gobert AND Gobert can be the better overall defender, i.e., DPOY, at the same time. That's not really hard to understand.

Ok who has the better track record as a playoff defender?
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#115 » by nikster » Thu May 16, 2024 8:59 pm

madskillz8 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This video doesn't even show Bam doing any better job defending Jokic. First look against Bam was as clean as most of the shots Jokic got against Gobert. He blew up some pick and rolls (tho Jokic walked in for a put back on one), but this shows nothing. Thinking basketball did a video on Wolves defense after game 2 and Gobert blew up tons of actions. Even in this game he made plays like that , he helped on a Jokic drive and recoverd to block AG on the cut.

Just lazy and biased, like most of the anti Gobert takes
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,336

Post#116 » by Zeno » Thu May 16, 2024 9:07 pm

Lalouie wrote:man,,,everyone hates gobert

Takes himself too serious
Demands respect for basketball concepts that are generally hard to attribute to individuals
Accuses refs of taking bribes
Touches mics at onset of pandemic
French
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,601

Post#117 » by Tha Cynic » Thu May 16, 2024 9:12 pm

Jokic is the clearcut best player in the NBA and has been for years. He's having a Michael Jordan type of impact right now in his peak.

Gobert is a piece of **** but also a great defender going against Jokic who is a historically good player. It's not very complicated lol
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Post#118 » by Lalouie » Thu May 16, 2024 9:26 pm

Zeno wrote:

Demands respect for basketball concepts that are generally hard to attribute to individuals
French

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: ,,,,,fixed

FRENCH
MrGoat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,628

Post#119 » by MrGoat » Thu May 16, 2024 9:36 pm

Lalouie wrote:
Zeno wrote:

French

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: ,,,,,fixed

FRENCH

Baguette Biyombo
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,254

Post#120 » by greg4012 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:48 pm

nikster wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This video doesn't even show Bam doing any better job defending Jokic. First look against Bam was as clean as most of the shots Jokic got against Gobert. He blew up some pick and rolls (tho Jokic walked in for a put back on one), but this shows nothing. Thinking basketball did a video on Wolves defense after game 2 and Gobert blew up tons of actions. Even in this game he made plays like that , he helped on a Jokic drive and recoverd to block AG on the cut.

Just lazy and biased, like most of the anti Gobert takes

Untrained eyes.

It’s all about lower body positioning and not letting Jokic get to his spot and footing that he wants.

Basic fundamental stuff

Return to The General Board