Congratulations Kobe - now #3 for number of 40 point games!!

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Phil Jackson
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#101 » by Phil Jackson » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:02 pm

Yeah, we support him because he's the Greatest of All Time.

At least he didn't tank.
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#102 » by Jordan23Forever » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:04 pm

Hoops Pimp wrote:Kobe took a team that went to the Western Conference Finals to 7 games with:

Smush Parker (Worst PG in the League and got him a new contract) :)
Kwame Brown (Worst Player in the League as people now realize)

And Jordan took eventual champion Detroit to 7 games in the 1990 ECF with his second best player averaging 16/6/4/43% shooting in the series. With his teammates throwing up duds like this in crucial games/quarters:

http://motorcitybadboys.com/box90eastconffinalsgm7.html

EHL wrote:He knows he's leaving all of those things out, that's why he posted it in the first place.

Actually you're both wrong. What is at issue is the number of scoring possessions used to generate points. This discussion centered around scoring not all-around game (in which case assists, TO's etc. would be relevant).

Even if you want to use usage rate (or usage % as it's now called on basketball-reference.com), the calculus still supports my argument re: scaling numbers from today for past years based on league average ppg, as some are trying to do. In the years I cited as examples -- Jordan's '90/'91 seasons and '06/'07 for Kobe -- Jordan's usage % was 33.3% on average, while Kobe's was 36.2%. So the argument still holds. Furthermore, this still doesn't fully address the issue, since it's only addressing team possessions, while folks like Bilge are looking at league wide average ppg and trying to scale numbers based on that. So we'd need to know the usage % based on a player's usage of the average team's possessions.

Put simply, if haters like Bgil want to insinuate that it's as simple as scaling numbers based on league average ppg, they have to account for the disparity in number/percent of average possessions used between the two players.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#103 » by Kobay » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:09 pm

Phil Jackson wrote:Yeah, we support him because he's the Greatest of All Time.

At least he didn't tank.
oh snap. snap* snap* snap* mmmhm
Phil Jackson
Banned User

Post#104 » by Phil Jackson » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:13 pm

[quote="Jordan23Forever"][/quote]

Kobe Bryant is The Greatest of All Time.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#105 » by boomann21 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:16 pm

[quote="G35"][/quote]

6 championships make him the best in all categories. Once Rip's midrange gets good enough for him to win 6 or Lebron's constant attacking of the rim gets him 6 then Mike is the best at everything.
Phil Jackson
Banned User

Post#106 » by Phil Jackson » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:19 pm

boomann21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

6 championships make him the best in all categories. Once Rip's midrange gets good enough for him to win 6 or Lebron's constant attacking of the rim gets him 6 then Mike is the best at everything.

Kobe Bryant is better.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#107 » by JordansBulls » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:24 pm

Phil Jackson wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Support it!!

MVP's, Finals MVP, Top 3 MVP Voting, Efficiency, etc.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 618

Post#108 » by bballcool34 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:30 pm

boomann21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Such flawed logic.

Because Jordan won, he's the best at everything? So, Russell as a center is better at everything than any other center in league history?

You can argue that Jordan has the best combined total package of any perimeter player (defense, scoring, clutch, etc.), and I'd fully agree with that.

He's one of or the the best at some of those categories.

But the absolute best at everything just because he won six championships? No. That really is just poor thinking on your part.
Damn
SDChargers#1
Starter
And1: 104

Post#109 » by SDChargers#1 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:32 pm

Phil Jackson wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You are just as bad if not worse than Jordan23Forever and JordanBulls. This is the reason they hijack every Kobe thread.

Kobe is not in Jordan's league yet, Im sorry. Over the past 3 seasons he has been close, but it doesn't compare to the decade that Jordan was the hands down best player.

And for the people who are about to say "no Duncan is better." Please shut it. Duncan is NOT a better player than Kobe. He has had more team success, but that doesn't make him better.
incontrol__
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#110 » by incontrol__ » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:42 pm

Heat3 wrote:Congrats to Kobe. More remarkable is how just 6 months ago he was taking a dump on his teammates and fans, yet the supporters are still here. Kobe got something about him alright lol :rofl:

Enjoy that 15 game losing streak? I know i did.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#111 » by kno » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:03 pm

The moral of this thread?

Jordan > Christ.

[/thread]
JusBus32
Junior
And1: 60

Post#112 » by JusBus32 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:12 pm

You Jordan supporters will probably kill yourself if Kobe gets another championship in his prime. Because all you'll hear on the news is how amazing and great Kobe is.

Jordan's name may come up, but Jordan at that point will be a thing of the past. While he is one of the best players ever, people will look at Kobe as the new golden standard for shooting guards in the NBA. In my opinion, he already is.
Hoops Pimp
Junior
And1: 0

Post#113 » by Hoops Pimp » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:30 pm

[quote="Jordan23Forever"][/quote]

Why do you continue to attack Kobe so much? I love Kobe and MJ and never bash either. Was there something evil about my post or something I did to attack MJ that you felt like you needed to defend MJ's greatness over Kobe?
"One of my Ho's asked me one day why I play hoops and my sneakers never get dirty? I told her I got more hang time than M.J. and my sneakers never touch the ground."

Hoops Pimp
Jordan23Forever
General Manager

Post#114 » by Jordan23Forever » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:04 pm

JusBus32 wrote:
Jordan's name may come up, but Jordan at that point will be a thing of the past. While he is one of the best players ever, people will look at Kobe as the new golden standard for shooting guards in the NBA. In my opinion, he already is.

It's a good thing most sane people who've seen both of their primes don't share your "opinion," then.
ImmortalD24
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#115 » by ImmortalD24 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:06 pm

Jordan fans FEAR Kobe.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#116 » by -G- » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:13 pm

ImmortalD24 wrote:Jordan fans FEAR Kobe.

It's really hilarious. So insecure.
Bgil
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#117 » by Bgil » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:20 pm

Jordan23Forever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually you're both wrong. What is at issue is the number of scoring possessions used to generate points. This discussion centered around scoring not all-around game (in which case assists, TO's etc. would be relevant).

Even if you want to use usage rate (or usage % as it's now called on basketball-reference.com), the calculus still supports my argument re: scaling numbers from today for past years based on league average ppg, as some are trying to do. In the years I cited as examples -- Jordan's '90/'91 seasons and '06/'07 for Kobe -- Jordan's usage % was 33.3% on average, while Kobe's was 36.2%. So the argument still holds. Furthermore, this still doesn't fully address the issue, since it's only addressing team possessions, while folks like Bilge are looking at league wide average ppg and trying to scale numbers based on that. So we'd need to know the usage % based on a player's usage of the average team's possessions.

Put simply, if haters like Bgil want to insinuate that it's as simple as scaling numbers based on league average ppg, they have to account for the disparity in number/percent of average possessions used between the two players.

Dude, you're such a liar. I didn't scale anything. I just pointed out that Jordan played in a league where teams regularly scored a lot more points at much higher shooting percentages and using completely different strategies (i.e. very little 3-point shooting). THAT MUCH IS FACT.
Once you consider those things it puts Jordan's numbers (and those of Wilt) in perspective. You're the one trying to insulate how a player from the 80's would have done in 2008 and then calling that "fact". It isn't, period. The game isn't played on a TI-83.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Jordan23Forever
General Manager

Post#118 » by Jordan23Forever » Mon Feb 4, 2008 12:56 am

Bgil wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Dude, you're such a liar. I didn't scale anything. I just pointed out that Jordan played in a league where teams regularly scored a lot more points at much higher shooting percentages and using completely different strategies (i.e. very little 3-point shooting). THAT MUCH IS FACT.
Once you consider those things it puts Jordan's numbers (and those of Wilt) in perspective. You're the one trying to insulate how a player from the 80's would have done in 2008 and then calling that "fact". It isn't, period. The game isn't played on a TI-83.

Nice try, Bilge, but the insinuations in your posts are clear. It's basically begging the question, "if Kobe scored X when teams scored Y, imagine how much he would have scored when teams scored 8-10 ppg more!" It's fallacious reasoning, and I have demonstrated why.

So for you to say that you didn't scale anything is a joke. Yeah, you didn't crunch the numbers, but the implication is obvious. Don't take everyone for fools next time.

As for it putting Jordan's numbers in perspective, one can only do so once one realizes that Jordan used less of his team's (or the league average) possessions as Kobe did to get his points. Allow him to use the same number of possessions back then on a percentage basis and then you'll have actual numbers to "put in perspective" as compared with Kobe's '06/'07 numbers.
Esko
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#119 » by Esko » Mon Feb 4, 2008 1:18 am

My only response to this thread is to say that to the user with the name Kobe>Jordan>God needs to realize that LeBron James owns Kobe in every facet of the game. If I could upgrade Kobe Bryant in every attribute that contributes to being a great basketball player, I would end up with LeBron. The guy's insane. So even continuing with the notion being Kobe is the next Jordan, it needs to end soon. LeBron is and will go down as the best player ever.
A witty saying proves nothing.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#120 » by Kobay » Mon Feb 4, 2008 1:26 am

Esko wrote:My only response to this thread is to say that to the user with the name Kobe>Jordan>God needs to realize that LeBron James owns Kobe in every facet of the game. If I could upgrade Kobe Bryant in every attribute that contributes to being a great basketball player, I would end up with LeBron. The guy's insane. So even continuing with the notion being Kobe is the next Jordan, it needs to end soon. LeBron is and will go down as the best player ever.
Copy Right Espn

Return to The General Board