Boston has the easiest road to the NBA finals ever

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Re: Boston has the easiest road to the NBA finals ever 

Post#121 » by nikster » Tue May 14, 2024 6:04 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
nikster wrote:
Fadeaway_Jumper wrote:This was no different than when Lebron was accumulating playoff stats and finals appearances in the east when his best opponent was the Kyle Lowry led raptors. Once Lebron joined our Lakers in the west he was hit hard by reality.

Let Tatum and Brown enjoy their watered down accolades like Lebron did. Once the finals losses pile up we will point to their record as well

Yeah nothing to do with Lebron being old and injury prone right?

That definitely affected things but there’s no way he achieves the same streak playing in the West from 2011-2018.

I agree he's not making the finals every year, but it's clearly not as bad as we've seen in his time with thr Lakers.

Also think it's generally overstated how easy he had it and glossed over how much adversity he faced (we've seen so many super teams fail for similar reasons). Bosh missed most of 2012 eastern run, Wade was brutal in the 2013 eastern conference run, Love went down early 2015, No Irving 2018 etc...
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,178

Post#122 » by bstein14 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:07 pm

The only way they get that 2019 Raptors asterisk is if their Finals opponent has their best player go down with a season ending injury.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,502

Post#123 » by levon » Tue May 14, 2024 6:11 pm

shi-woo wrote:
levon wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Yeah, pretty much. But only half the reason that the road looks easy is because of the opponents. The other half is that this Boston team is so strong that it makes good teams look weak. I mean, the Cavs aren't bad. They're strong enough to be a Conference Finalist. Miami 2022, Atlanta 2021, the Celts in 2017 and 2018, and Lowry's Raptors weren't better than this year's Cavs. But Boston is rolling them.

I don't think this Cavs team is a good team. I think if you adjust for how weak the bottom of the conference was, Cleveland probably rounds out to a .550 win percentage team. That's historically bottom of the West.

I disagree, Mitchell is a bonafide superstar, and has been for years now. He's one of the best playoff performers of the new era, and that can't be questioned.

Allen and Garland are both young players in their prime who made an All-Star game. Mobley made ADEF 1st team last year, and would be a 20/10 big man on most teams.

They have established roleplayers around those 4 in Strus, an elite shooter part of some nasty playoff runs, Lavert, a former 20 ppg scorer whose been an elite 6th man this year, and Okoro who was a Top pick entering his prime.

This team is good, the East is just not LeBrons east anymore. There are 4 teams (Philly, MIA, BOS, and MIL) that have just been dominating the conference. In between those years you had Kawhii's Raptors and the Kyrie/KD Nets.

CLE was hampered by injuries to their 3 best players all year, Donovan, Garland and Evan only playing 50 games. Up until last game, all those dudes were healthy for the playoffs.

This Cavs team would be better than any team in the East from 2013-2017 outside of LEBrons Super teams.

Not many teams have the luxury of sporting 1 All-NBA player, 2 all-stars, and a DPOY candidate...

You have a more optimistic view of Cleveland than almost every Cavs fan on this forum.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,493

Post#124 » by Celts17Pride » Tue May 14, 2024 6:58 pm

or Boston is really that good. Celtics just play whoever is in front of them.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,082

Post#125 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:23 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:or Boston is really that good. Celtics just play whoever is in front of them.

They would've lost to Denver or Timberwolves 1st round
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,207

Post#126 » by KodiakBear » Tue May 14, 2024 7:31 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:or Boston is really that good. Celtics just play whoever is in front of them.

You are assuming they would have gotten out of the play in in the mighty west.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,987

Post#127 » by Drax » Tue May 14, 2024 7:32 pm

LaLover11 wrote:

Or Denver or the Twolves would have lost to the Celtics. Unfortunatly we'll never find out, how about we live and talk about what is real instead of hypotheticals that never will happen, boring exercise to underline a point noone ever can prove.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett, Tillman
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford, Kornet
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,447

Post#128 » by lessthanjake » Tue May 14, 2024 7:46 pm

nikster wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
nikster wrote:Yeah nothing to do with Lebron being old and injury prone right?

That definitely affected things but there’s no way he achieves the same streak playing in the West from 2011-2018.

I agree he's not making the finals every year, but it's clearly not as bad as we've seen in his time with thr Lakers.

Also think it's generally overstated how easy he had it and glossed over how much adversity he faced (we've seen so many super teams fail for similar reasons). Bosh missed most of 2012 eastern run, Wade was brutal in the 2013 eastern conference run, Love went down early 2015, No Irving 2018 etc...

I think it’s right to point out that LeBron’s teams didn’t always have good luck in the playoffs in terms of health. Those Heat teams had some issues and still won, which was impressive.

But I do think LeBron probably doesn’t make many Finals in the West—at least if we don’t go too far down the butterfly-effect road. LeBron’s teams got very handily beaten in the Finals in 2007, 2014, 2017, and 2018. I think it’s very safe to assume those teams would not have made the Finals if they’d been in the West, since there was a team in the West that was clearly superior to them. I think the 2011 Heat were capable of beating the 2011 Mavericks, so in an alternate reality maybe they would, but in reality they lost a 6-game series to the Mavs, so they probably can’t make it through the West that year either. There’s an argument the Cavs could’ve made the Finals in the West in 2015, because they might’ve met the Warriors earlier when they were healthier. But Love was injured in the first round, and Kyrie got injured in the conference semifinals and had to miss games in the conference finals, so I don’t think they get a healthy shot at the Warriors even if they were in the West (and of course they very well might’ve lost even if they were healthy), so they likely don’t get out of the West that year either.

That leaves the years they won the title in 2012, 2013, 2016, and 2020. 2020 is obviously self-explanatory since LeBron was in the Western Conference that year. As for the other three years, obviously, our baseline assumption should be that LeBron’s team would’ve gotten out of the West in a year where they won the Finals against the team that won the West. But that’s not totally clear. The 2016 playoffs is a really good example. The Cavaliers beat the Warriors in the Finals, but if they were in the West they would’ve needed to beat the Spurs or Thunder too. And either of those teams would’ve been tremendously tough teams that the Cavs probably would’ve only had about a 50/50 shot against. In 2012 and 2013, the road to the Finals would’ve been harder and probably involved beating a genuinely good team outside of just the Western Conference team that the Heat beat in the Finals, but I do think it’s unlikely that the Heat lose to anyone in the West in those years (even accounting for Bosh and Wade having some issues in those years).

Ultimately, my baseline guess is that LeBron would’ve made the Finals four times in the West. I think he would’ve made it in 2012 and 2013, and obviously he made it in 2020. And I think it would’ve happened one time between 2011, 2015, and 2016. There’s little argument for the other years IMO. The flip side of this is that if LeBron were in the West, then his teams would’ve virtually certainly won the title every time they made the Finals. So I think we’re looking at a similar number of titles, just with a lot fewer Finals appearances and a better Finals record.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 176

Post#129 » by Astaluego » Tue May 14, 2024 7:52 pm

I think Indiana has something to say, they are stuffy, they are very young, but...they have the best coach in the east, they are quite deep and Rick is playing them all and they all feel important (a shame they don't Have Mathurin).. I will also say that Boston is more physically fair than it seems
Old Mike Lorenzo
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,403

Post#130 » by ratul » Tue May 14, 2024 7:55 pm

If OG is healthy, I’ll take the knicks. The knicks are well coached and not reliant on soft big men
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 943

Post#131 » by JimmyFromNz » Tue May 14, 2024 8:56 pm

Weird thread, weird responses from the usual suspects.

Yeah, its looking like an easy ride to the Finals. We can only beat who is in front of us.

- Joint pre-season Vegas betting favourites.
- Core of squad has made eastern conference finals multiple times, and Finals run.
- Proceeded to sleep walk to 64 wins with an improved squad, and all time ranking net rating.
- Locked the 1st seed in March spent the season's final quarter rest-rotating key players to maintain health for May/June.

This wont be some random run 'by chance', that a few other franchises could lay claim to.

If we are lucky enough to win (a lot can change), using the East as some undermining point is silly but entirely predictable.
SamSepiol
Rookie
And1: 3,624

Post#132 » by SamSepiol » Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 pm

The East looks so easy, even Lebron is going to Cavs games to get comfortable with the conference. He’s making a switch soon.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#133 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 1:01 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:Their’s way too many members writing pointless **** on this board just for a bit of attention at the moment.

Haha.

Nuggets faced two 8 seeds, a 7 seed and a 4 seed and no one complained.

I think the Celtics had the easiest regular season ever too. lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#134 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 1:11 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Boston is a great example of why you build a sustainable contender, even if you don’t have a 3 superstar super team. Boston has been a top team for years, and you’re always there ready for the weak years ro capitalize while other teams push in all their chips and hope that everything breaks perfectly in a 2 year stretch.

Boston’s built a sustainable, healthy mix that has a good chance to be there at the end every year. Not gonna count it against them that their roster is prepared to strike when others aren’t.

This three star thing is no longer a thing. You need stars,but you can’t have zeros anywhere. You need rim protection, shooting, size and defense.

Lakers, Bucks, Suns went the star route. The teams other players just aren’t good enough no matter what the stars do.

jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#135 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 1:16 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
whitehops wrote:
yeah they can't control who they play and although they get an easier path to the finals, it kind of does them a disservice once they get there as they're less battle-tested/prepared for one of the beasts in the west.

I’d argue against that.

In 22 they went against KD/Kyrie in round 1, Giannis/Jrue in round 2, Butler/Bam and the 1 seed Heat the conference finals. By the time they hit the finals they were exhausted.

The easier path hopefully means a well rested team ready to play its best basketball at the right time.

And teams play 82 regular season games to earn the right to have the easiest path possible. Like that's literally the whole point of the regular season loll.

People are always a day late and a dollar short.

10 years ago, load management mattered and the Celtics (2010) did it firsts by sandbagging the season. Spurs and Heat made it an art form. LeBron kind of just carries teams by raising his level.

So teams think regular season doesn’t matter. Um, seeding matters. The Heat and Lakers last year anomalies.

Regular season matters. Seeding matters, especially with the playin. The Lakers expecting to just run through the playin and then OKC is hilarious.

jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#136 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 1:18 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
I’d argue against that.

In 22 they went against KD/Kyrie in round 1, Giannis/Jrue in round 2, Butler/Bam and the 1 seed Heat the conference finals. By the time they hit the finals they were exhausted.

The easier path hopefully means a well rested team ready to play its best basketball at the right time.

And teams play 82 regular season games to earn the right to have the easiest path possible. Like that's literally the whole point of the regular season loll.

It’s kinda funny how mad people get over them facing the Heat without Butler.

Like okay yeah he’d help them.

Most seasons though the 8 seed typically is some team that is either complete junk, really young or dropped to the 8th seed because they’re missing key players.

That’s the whole point of why they are the 8th seed.

Butler doesn’t make a difference that round. The two teams weren’t even close talent wise. No Strus, Vincent from last year and Anthony didn’t play Dwayne Wade.

This years Heat team wasn’t mediocre.

jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#137 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 1:23 am

Availability is an ingredient of greatness. You can’t be oft injured and great.

Enough with coasting Jimmy Butler, the most overrated plasyer of this generation. Butler doesn’t play enough, and doesn’t player hard enough to playoffs.

The fact there is a playoff jimmy is actually a back hand complement.

There is no playoff LeBron, Say what we want, he brings it every time he plays,

John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,296

Post#138 » by John Murdoch » Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 am

Op is correct , i also think it will build bad habbits not being tested early on like Denver or Minnesota were
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
stepic
Junior
And1: 398

Post#139 » by stepic » Wed May 15, 2024 2:10 am

doesn't matter, they'll lose in the finals
Dubnation
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,569

Post#140 » by Dubnation » Wed May 15, 2024 2:55 am

Ritzo wrote:I don't care, they don't know how to finish the job. They ain't beating any of those West teams.

I look at it differently. Whoever comes out of the West will be worn down with nothing left enduring the gauntlet. Boston will be well rested and ready without having to break a sweat in over a month.

Return to The General Board