How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Re: How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ? 

Post#121 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:07 pm

SportsWorld wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:
SportsWorld wrote:Soccer clearly isn't the toughest sport to play. It's clearly football and it's not even close.

Rugby says hi.

So 2 sports tougher to play than soccer.

Oh, there's many more...
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,107

Post#122 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Why do people get so defensive about soccer on a basketball forum? This isn't a soccer forum, people don't post here to talk about soccer, naturally a lot of us probably don't even care for it.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#123 » by El Turco » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:15 pm

High 5 wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:^^^You'd be surprised how may collisions occur when players fight for headers (and they get big air too).

Some very ignorant posts as expected whenever soccer or Europe is brought up in general.

Soccer is a fine sport, but the elitist morons on here get old. Soccer is so popular because it's the easiest sport to play. All you need is a ball and some open space. Any poor kid with a few friends can play a decent game. There are just as many if not more great athletes capable of being great at soccer in the US, but football, basketball, and baseball are more enjoyable sports to most people. I played soccer when I was a kid, but moved on to football because it was more fun to me.

eh, bad theory. if it was that easy kids in poorest neighborhoods in america would grow up playing soccer instead of basketball. or #1 sport wouldn't be soccer in 14 of the 20 richest countries in the world.

easy availability is a factor but far from the only thing that makes soccer popular around the world.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#124 » by El Turco » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:17 pm

SportsWorld wrote:
Soccer clearly isn't the toughest sport to play. It's clearly football and it's not even close.

football wouldn't even make top 3.

boxing>all.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#125 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Why do people get so defensive about soccer on a basketball forum? This isn't a soccer forum, people don't post here to talk about soccer, naturally a lot of us probably don't even care for it.

Appreciating soccer and appreciating basketball aren't mutually exclusive. Yeah, it's a basketball forum, but when uninformed yahoos go on tirades against soccer, I can't help but get a little defensive. Even the OP (I know no harm meant), but seriously dude? No injuries in soccer? Wtf?
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#126 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:Why do people get so defensive about soccer on a basketball forum? This isn't a soccer forum, people don't post here to talk about soccer, naturally a lot of us probably don't even care for it.

For whatever reason once every couple of months or so some soccer obsessed loser feels the need to make a thread talking about how much better soccer is than basketball. Or if it's not soccer it's Euro basketball. It would be best to ignore them, but making fun of them is entertaining.
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Post#127 » by C.Boshly » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:22 pm

The thing about soccer is that the majority of the players are fairly compact and small. They play on a soft surface and are not running all the time.

If you have never really played basketball at a high level you probably do not understand how physically demanding the sport can be and the cuts people make on the court surface.

I do not play basketball but do play alot of squash. I think there are some similarities in the sport in the injuries department. Squash is a really tough sport even though there is no contact between the players. Professional players are normally done by the time they hit their thirties, latest 34-35.

Here is a clip showing a tall 34 yr old player getting his ass handed to him. Watch the strain on the player's knees... very similar to basketball but in basketball there is less lunging but more jumping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=074Gex6vOAs&feature=related

I think it is hard to choose between soccer and basketball in the injuries department. They both have alot of potiential for injury. I would not underestimate playing on a hard surface though it can be very difficult on the body. I have recurring knee injuries from squash and have been in physio for two months now and am going to have to go for an MRI soon. I am in my early twenties. Playing sports on a hard surface can be very damaging...
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#128 » by TsunamiZC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:23 pm

Maradona was a hack, Pele was an overated scrub
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man

Post#129 » by TsunamiZC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

High 5 wrote:

For whatever reason once every couple of months or so some soccer obsessed loser feels the need to make a thread talking about how much better soccer is than basketball. Or if it's not soccer it's Euro basketball. It would be best to ignore them, but making fun of them is entertaining.

I dont think his point is soccer being better, his motive seemed more towards that soccer players are better, more conditioned athletes.
ylvn8
Ballboy

Post#130 » by ylvn8 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:32 pm

ylvn8 wrote:Soccer: 1 game per week. 90 min per game.
NBA: 3 games per week on average. 48 min per game.

Soccer: player average height: Allen Iverson.
NBA: player average height: Kobe Bryant.

Now, please die, thread, die!
High 5
RealGM

Post#131 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:33 pm

ElTurco wrote:eh, bad theory. if it was that easy kids in poorest neighborhoods in america would grow up playing soccer instead of basketball. or #1 sport wouldn't be soccer in 14 of the 20 richest countries in the world.

easy availability is a factor but far from the only thing that makes soccer popular around the world.

I'm not talking about the US. Being poor in the intercity is obviously a lot different than being poor in some village. I'm not saying that's the only reason it's popular, but the argument you always hear when talking about soccer is how many people play it. Like that means the sport is automatically the best. A lot of countries soccer is just the sport people grow up playing and that's all they know. It has the advantage of being the oldest.

Point is, there is no "best sport." People can be knowledgeable of the sport and still dislike it.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#132 » by john2jer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 pm

Wait, soccer's a real sport?
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Boognish
RealGM

Post#133 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 pm

C.Boshly wrote:If you have never really played basketball at a high level you probably do not understand how physically demanding the sport can be and the cuts people make on the court surface.

I'm with you that basketball (and squash) are demanding, especially considering the hard surface. But conversely, I think that these people discounting soccer have never played at a high level. ie High 5 claims to 'understand' soccer, but I really doubt he has ever played it at any decent level (maybe he played AYSO when he was 6). It's like someone claiming to grasp basketball when their only experience with the sport is shooting in the driveway at age 6.

I'm not arguing that one sport is tougher than the other, but that they're both rough sports.
Boognish
RealGM

Post#134 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:38 pm

john2jer wrote:Wait, soccer's a real sport?

yessir
High 5
RealGM

Post#135 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:38 pm

lakersfr wrote:
C.Boshly wrote:If you have never really played basketball at a high level you probably do not understand how physically demanding the sport can be and the cuts people make on the court surface.

I'm with you that basketball (and squash) are demanding, especially considering the hard surface. But conversely, I think that these people discounting soccer have never played at a high level. ie High 5 claims to 'understand' soccer, but I really doubt he has ever played it at any decent level (maybe he played AYSO when he was 6). It's like someone claiming to grasp basketball when their only experience with the sport is shooting in the driveway at age 6.

I'm not arguing that one sport is tougher than the other, but that they're both rough sports.

So to understand a sport you have to be a professional? I guess we should shut down this site.
Boognish
RealGM

Post#136 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:42 pm

High 5 wrote:So to understand a sport you have to be a professional? I guess we should shut down this site.

No, but when someone with little or no experience watching or playing a sport dismisses it as boring, it's arguable that they're just ignorant.

I think it's like when chicks don't like watching sports - they have no idea what the hell is going on, and they never played, so they dgaf. Doesn't mean anything bout the sport
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#137 » by DieselCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:46 pm

TsunamiZC wrote:
High 5 wrote:

I dont think his point is soccer being better, his motive seemed more towards that soccer players are better, more conditioned athletes.

How can you say this. Can you elaborate on this please. Why was Maradona a hack ? Because he was a cokehead ? and gained weight and lost passion for football...and how was Pele overrated. PELE > JORDAN, AND EVERY OTHER ATHLETE OOUT THERE..INCL. MUHAMMED ALI.
Boognish
RealGM

Post#138 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:How can you say this. Can you elaborate on this please. Why was Maradona a hack ? Because he was a cokehead ? and gained weight and lost passion for football...and how was Pele overrated. PELE > JORDAN, AND EVERY OTHER ATHLETE OOUT THERE..INCL. MUHAMMED ALI.

They're just trying to rile soccer fans up, they don't actually know anything about the sport...
High 5
RealGM

Post#139 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 pm

lakersfr wrote:
High 5 wrote:So to understand a sport you have to be a professional? I guess we should shut down this site.

No, but when someone with little or no experience watching or playing a sport dismisses it as boring, it's arguable that they're just ignorant.

I have played and watched enough to form a valid opinion. My best friend is a great soccer player (he has played all over the world). I have been to his games and I even trained with him on a ton of occasions. I understand the physical demands, athleticism is athleticism regardless of the sport.

I think soccer is boring. I like baseball. You probably think baseball is boring. I wouldn't argue with you because I know not everyone has the same tastes. You need to come to that realization.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,078

Post#140 » by FJS » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:55 pm

I love both sports.
In Europe it's all about football (soccer for USA)
I rather basketball, and I rather NBA over Euro Basketball, because it's faster and there's some magic around the league. Every game can be a great game.
I enjoyed some Knicks games, altough being Knicks a bad team. In Spaniard league (problaby the second best league in the world) I wouldn't watch a game for a non playoff team.

About soccer, if you understand the game, you have to love teams like Barcelona. You'll enjoy that sport watching their games.

I tried to watch some NFL, and MLB and I think it's pretty bored. I suppose it's a cultural thing. You learn to love those sports when you are young or you don't love it. NHL... well it's interesting, fast... but still I don't watch it.

When you are an adult, you have your job, your family, you cannot dedicate all your time to watch tv sports, so I chose NBA basketball, but I use to watch only Barcelona soccer games.

Return to The General Board