Is Luka overrated?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,968

Re: Is Luka overrated? 

Post#141 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:38 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:your experience makes your post interesting and sorry about your Back. I’m still in the 1000 club - barely lol

Luka needs to do what ever it takes to improve -
physically- because I think he has proven in spurts that if he wasn’t carrying 20-30 extra LBs he could be elite.

Agree, he needs to grow up, drop the beer, and get dialed in. It sucks for him that he can't eat candy, drink beer, and be ripped. Oh well...it's time to find foods he likes that are filling and lower calories, hire a cook, and put in the work going fork to face.

But to the OPs question- he is not over rated-

Luka is 24 and one of the best players on earth- we are talking about one of the best to ever play having room and opportunity to get even better.

Also we haven’t seen anyone like him at that age perform like he consistently does in the playoffs -period-

Luka getting in shape is like a super model putting on make up. She a super model regardless but she could be even hotter with some lipstick

well, we have found something we don't agree on! Makeup is horrible looking and the better looking the woman, the more it hurts their looks!
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,361

Post#142 » by CobraCommander » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:54 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Agree, he needs to grow up, drop the beer, and get dialed in. It sucks for him that he can't eat candy, drink beer, and be ripped. Oh well...it's time to find foods he likes that are filling and lower calories, hire a cook, and put in the work going fork to face.

But to the OPs question- he is not over rated-

Luka is 24 and one of the best players on earth- we are talking about one of the best to ever play having room and opportunity to get even better.

Also we haven’t seen anyone like him at that age perform like he consistently does in the playoffs -period-

Luka getting in shape is like a super model putting on make up. She a super model regardless but she could be even hotter with some lipstick

well, we have found something we don't agree on! Makeup is horrible looking and the better looking the woman, the more it hurts their looks!

No- we actually haven’t -

I was using the analogy to further the arguement. But I don’t agree that lipstick makes models or pigs look better. I like my body builders on tren and woman natty and without make up !
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#143 » by ShootersShoot » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:43 pm

Well, him and kyrie have played all of 9 games together, so the chemistry is definitely not there. The mavs have one of the worst team compositions. Even fully healthy, they start powell and bullock who are both barely rotation level players, and they have guys like hardaway jr and wood who are scorers but do little else to impact the game.

So yea, below average and undersized frontcourt defensively, below average perimeter defense, and two stars who do not know how to play with each other quite yet is a recipe for disaster. If they were like the kings who have a very well rounded SL even though they are not a good defensive team, they might have a better chance, but too many holes on that roster. Its ironic that the kings got reamed for passing on Luka but now they seem to be the better team.
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 433

Post#144 » by ghillphx » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:50 am

Harry Garris wrote:
ghillphx wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Mavs are 11th in the West. But Luka is supposed to be an all time great level player in his prime? How does that compute, plus he has another All Star on the team. Harden routinely dragged bad rosters to the playoffs at least, you'll never see a prime Harden led team be 11th in the West.

Stats are overrated. Simple facts. Are they useful? Yes. Are they overrated? Yes. Luka is another James Harden type. Huge weakness in his game in defense.

James Harden's Rockets won a ton of games and were a very good defensive team with him. Despite it being pretty obvious by both the eye test and stats that Harden was an even worse defender than Luka currently is.

Defense is played through good execution of a cohesive system, not by individual players being good at defense. That's why I always think it's pretty silly to place much blame on a single player who's carrying a massive offensive load and is crazy efficient for the team's defensive problems. Luka could be an all-NBA level defender and the Mavs would still be a bad defense. He is a part of the problem, but it's a far larger problem than just him.

Not even gonna comment on your last paragraph. It's so false, it's crazy. Get out of here.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,331

Post#145 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:54 am

On the one hand Luka loves doing a lot himself. On the other, he can't do it alone. Having a team around him that raises the floor and keeps things afloat at least is paramount. That's on the FO. Luka also has to defend more and whine less, channel it better. That's on him.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,242

Post#146 » by MrBigShot » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:56 am

Ask the suns
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 433

Post#147 » by ghillphx » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:26 am

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:No. He’s an amazing, clutch talent with ball hogging and conditioning problems. If he fixes those two the sky is the limit

You are literally mistaking the word conditioning for body type. His conditioning is a non issue. Look at his damn minutes.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#148 » by CobraCommander » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:58 pm

ghillphx wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:No. He’s an amazing, clutch talent with ball hogging and conditioning problems. If he fixes those two the sky is the limit

You are literally mistaking the word conditioning for body type. His conditioning is a non issue. Look at his damn minutes.

Actually you are confusing conditioning for body type-

When I hear body type from someone when pertaining to someone’s weight, I know they haven’t seen a gym or consistently trained ever in their life.

Body type would be the things you can’t change -

Conditioning in this sense would be how lean is Luka

The assumption is a lean Luka would be more explosive, have more energy throughout the game, better on defense and healthier over all.

We want to see Luka with MJs body… peak Luka
GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,348

Post#149 » by GrindCityHustle » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:28 pm

I was a hater because I thought he would get injured and be like a 15ppg game guy.

That brutal slaying in Atlanta to the guy he was traded for was next level. Dude is top tier now for sure.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,425

Post#150 » by Gusto1903 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:30 pm

Proud father of 2 NBA Franchises

On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#151 » by CobraCommander » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:22 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:I was a hater because I thought he would get injured and be like a 15ppg game guy.

That brutal slaying in Atlanta to the guy he was traded for was next level. Dude is top tier now for sure.

If Luka gets in MJ shape he coming for the crown....dude chubby dropping 70 lol

In fact the league NEEDs Zion to go to Dallas to party and eat with Luka for the sake of competitive balance - lol
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,305

Post#152 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:45 pm

lmao ... If Luka had 2-3 MVP players on his team like Lebum no one would be saying anything about LUKA

You can't WIN anything on your own, I guess this why Lebum teams up with, Wade,Bosh, Love/Irving and recently/AD current top 5 center etc LUKA Is virtually by himself and he'll be In the hall of fame, with or with out chips, the dude Is a beast. Yes Luka has Irving atm, but Irving past his prime and washed up, Luka needs a real team build around him and he'll be fine. Out side my Lakers (Kobe fan) Luka Is my fav...

Let's go Luka
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#153 » by Mr B » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:51 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Mavs are 11th in the West. But Luka is supposed to be an all time great level player in his prime? How does that compute, plus he has another All Star on the team. Harden routinely dragged bad rosters to the playoffs at least, you'll never see a prime Harden led team be 11th in the West.

Is Jalen Green overrated? I mean he’s suppose to be this great up and coming player but the Rockets are not even in position for the play in.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,556

Post#154 » by dygaction » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:52 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:lmao ... If Luka had 2-3 MVP players on his team like Lebum no one would be saying anything about LUKA

You can't WIN anything on your own, I guess this why Lebum teams up with, Wade,Bosh, Love/Irving and recently/AD current top 5 center etc LUKA Is virtually by himself and he'll be In the hall of fame, with or with out chips, the dude Is a beast. Yes Luka has Irving atm, but Irving past his prime and washed up, Luka needs a real team build around him and he'll be fine. Out side my Lakers (Kobe fan) Luka Is my fav...

Let's go Luka

Peak Irving might be the before-injury Nets version, but he is as good as Cavs version. The problems are Irving cannot stay healthy and Kidd don't have any idea how to make them work together. Luka and Kyrie have to figure it out themselves. Kyrie is trying his best to get into the flow but hate to see him deferring to THJ, Green, or even Hardy.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,228

Post#155 » by Archx » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:53 pm

CobraCommander wrote:In fact the league NEEDs Zion to go to Dallas to party and eat with Luka for the sake of competitive balance - lol

Mate.. don't give Cuban any more ideas. Already feels like he's reading these forums and taking the worst suggestions to his heart :lol:
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#156 » by CobraCommander » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:55 pm

Archx wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:In fact the league NEEDs Zion to go to Dallas to party and eat with Luka for the sake of competitive balance - lol

Mate.. don't give Cuban any more ideas. Already feels like he's reading these forums and taking the worst suggestions to his heart :lol:

Ok it’s a bad idea but instead of Zion...go get Lebron and get on his training “cycle” :lol:
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,425

Post#157 » by Gusto1903 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:56 pm

Mr B wrote:

Is Jalen Green overrated? I mean he’s suppose to be this great up and coming player but the Rockets are not even in position for the play in.

Jalen Green isnt even the best player on his team
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,228

Post#158 » by Archx » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:57 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Archx wrote:

Ok it’s a bad idea but instead of Zion...go get Lebron and get on his training “cycle” :lol:

Oof.. that's actually a great idea. Next round is on me :party:
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#159 » by CobraCommander » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:01 pm

Archx wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Archx wrote:

Oof.. that's actually a great idea. Next round is on me :party:

I love Lukas game and i hate his “away from the game” work ethic.... when you see him standing next to Charles Barkley you realize he is much taller than chuck and Kenny - so dude got near Lebron height- which is bigger than Kobe or MJ —- damn if he just was locked in for a few years -
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,305

Post#160 » by SlimShady83 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:02 pm

If I were too build a team around Luka.

I would get a defensive guard next to Luka - don't know who not naming names - should consider trading Irving

Somone who can shoot the 3 at decent rate and a couple bigs who can rebound well and also run the floor for fast breaks etc again not naming names, but y'all get the idea :)
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan

Return to The General Board