Why isn’t playoff inexperience holding OKC back as people claimed?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

User_friendly
Pro Prospect
And1: 395

Re: Why isn’t playoff inexperience holding OKC back as people claimed? 

Post#141 » by User_friendly » Sat May 11, 2024 10:21 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:I will own up to making this thread prematurely. So feel free to punch me people. I still have OKC in 6-7, but I admit that I didn’t see them getting mentally owned like they have the last two games. The physicality seems to be deflating them. Doing hack a Lively the 4th quarter was pathetic. They need to figure out rebounding. SGA can’t be the only one to show up. Williams and Chet can’t play like average role players.

Why do you say that now?, If you admitted your error, why can't it be that "playoff inexperience is holding OKC back, as people claimed?"
:banghead:
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 30,037

Post#142 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat May 11, 2024 10:28 pm

User_friendly wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:I will own up to making this thread prematurely. So feel free to punch me people. I still have OKC in 6-7, but I admit that I didn’t see them getting mentally owned like they have the last two games. The physicality seems to be deflating them. Doing hack a Lively the 4th quarter was pathetic. They need to figure out rebounding. SGA can’t be the only one to show up. Williams and Chet can’t play like average role players.

Why do you say that now?, If you admitted your error, why can't it be that "playoff inexperience is holding OKC back, as people claimed?"
:banghead:

I’m conceding that it’s a problem I didn’t see coming.. that’s why I’m saying I made the thread prematurely lol. That does have to do with experience probably.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,764

Post#143 » by Dez » Sat May 11, 2024 10:53 pm

Will lol if they get eliminated in 5 just out of the pure arrogance of this topic.
BmanInBigD
Sixth Man
And1: 630

Post#144 » by BmanInBigD » Sat May 11, 2024 10:54 pm

I've tried to tell all the people I know in OK or that are OKC fans that the playoffs are a different beast. Don't get your hope up too high too fast. Beating a non-playoff level team w/o their best player is NOT the post-season.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,687

Post#145 » by Bornstellar » Sat May 11, 2024 11:00 pm

Bornstellar wrote:They played an injured team in the first round missing their best player and have won one game in the second round against the 4th seed. Just wait until they face some actual adversity and we'll see how they respond

Adversity has arrived. Let's see how they respond
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,955

Post#146 » by One Last Shot » Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 pm

So you will blame everyone in their team but not SGA?

5:24 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander lost ball turnover (Kyrie Irving steals)

4:28 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander misses 8-foot two point shot

4:20 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander misses two point shot

1:28 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander bad pass

1:02 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander misses 25-foot step back jumpshot

29.1 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander offensive foul
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,869

Post#147 » by jkvonny » Sat May 11, 2024 11:05 pm

This is going 6 or 7 games.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,282

Post#148 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat May 11, 2024 11:21 pm

Certainly jumped the gun after sweeping an average team missing their bucket getter. OKC is very talented but their style can be stymied by veteran teams that now how to get under your skin and can take things away, the playoffs style is a different animal. Young teams just don’t make deep playoff runs.
aka: prorl
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,534

Post#149 » by og15 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:23 pm

They might have been better off having a tough first round matchup vs having a cakewalk first round that did nothing to prepare them for a real playoff series.

Of course this is the problem with making any conclusions after 5 total games.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#150 » by WentzerWuver » Sat May 11, 2024 11:31 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

This was something I laughed at every night on forums, Twitter, and sports shows. People talking about how being so young and inexperienced they were. I kept reminding them that OKC is a two way dominant team with stupid energy and athleticism, while being extremely well coached.

Experience like “clutch” isn’t some magical fairy that makes or breaks a team. Basketball is about defense and offense. They are great at both and have lots of guys on the bench that can play too.

Why was this fallacy constantly repeated? Now they are still undefeated like Minny in the playoffs with mostly blowout wins.
Lol that's why they are struggling to win now. Didn't you get the memo?
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,704

Post#151 » by Forbes » Sat May 11, 2024 11:42 pm

Tough series. They still have time but if they’re eliminated they did just gain a ton of experience. They’ll be right back here next year and wiser.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,410

Post#152 » by HotRocks34 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:52 pm

The Thunder are a great young team and boy does Chet complete them.

But:

* They like playing the game a certain way. Clean and finesse. Take them into the mud and they don't do as well IMO.

* They remind me of the Warriors, which is a good thing. But one thing about the Warriors IMO is that they were front runners. I sense a bit of that from OKC, too. But they're young.

* If the game is close late against a quality team, they may not handle it well. That's inexperience.

Dallas isn't the Zion-less Pelicans. Even without Kleber and with Gimpy Luka, there are some ballers there. Washington is breaking out.

Honestly OKC reminds me of young OKC around 2012. Very talented but maybe not ready for the biggest stage yet.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,502

Post#153 » by durden_tyler » Sat May 11, 2024 11:58 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Yeah the Thunder’s playoff inexperience is why PJ Washington and Hardaway were lights out from three, leading Dallas to their best three point shooting game maybe ever? That feels sustainable.

Washington and Hardaway sustained their good scoring run in Game 3. Feels sustainable for the next 2-3 games you think? LOL
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,298

Post#154 » by Dacost » Sun May 12, 2024 12:03 am

This happens to memphis a couple of seasons back.

People who said the team will be back here doesn't know that nothing is guaranteed.

Their max contracts are coming.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#155 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 12, 2024 12:26 am

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:because it's game 1, relax. Dallas always loses game 1 and rebounds well after as history has shown. OKC definitely has a bright future tho and the jury is still out this year so we'll see.

It’s not about 1 game. It’s about their two way dominance over the last nearly 90 games. They won’t do this nightly but I’ll be surprised if Dallas goes to 6.

you still feel this way?
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,389

Post#156 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 12, 2024 12:27 am

WestbrookGOATed wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
It’s not about 1 game. It’s about their two way dominance over the last nearly 90 games. They won’t do this nightly but I’ll be surprised if Dallas goes to 6.

So you think OKC beats Dallas 4-1?
I do. Dallas gets one at home and OKC finishes it off at home in game 5. I don't see the Mavs, or anyone really, beating the Thunder at home.

interested in how you feel now.?
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,423

Post#157 » by magee » Sun May 12, 2024 12:30 am

Thunder need to pull a Billy Donovan "Can't play Kanter," but with Josh Giddey. He's clearly a net negative being used as a statue on the wing. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's lost his confidence. The only way he stays on the court is if he attacks every shot for a rebound, or box out effectively.

Of course he's gone this summer, but right now? Either he needs to adjust his game and help out without the ball, or not be on the court at all. There's no in between at this point.

*This is also inexperience for the coaching staff in these situations, as well. As much as they want to play deep, I think having either Aaron Wiggins or Kenrich Williams start is a must. They simply need more out of the 5th player on the court. Giddey ain't providing it.
BmanInBigD
Sixth Man
And1: 630

Post#158 » by BmanInBigD » Sun May 12, 2024 12:32 am

Looks to me like the Thunder fans need a little more experience as well as their team. I was hearing sweep and maybe 5 games if the Mavs are lucky from them. How you like me now?
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,597

Post#159 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:36 am

durden_tyler wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Yeah the Thunder’s playoff inexperience is why PJ Washington and Hardaway were lights out from three, leading Dallas to their best three point shooting game maybe ever? That feels sustainable.

Washington and Hardaway sustained their good scoring run in Game 3. Feels sustainable for the next 2-3 games you think? LOL

You know you are allowed to not be a douche on the internet. It’s not a requirement I promise.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,274

Post#160 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 12, 2024 12:42 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:

You know you are allowed to not be a douche on the internet. It’s not a requirement I promise.

Should mods be on here calling someone a douche? Thunder fans need to grow up as much as their team does.

Return to The General Board