Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,998

Re: Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team 

Post#141 » by AleksandarN » Wed May 8, 2024 5:12 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:Let's pretend they really can't beat the Wolves, not this year and not the next.

Don't blow it up. Keep being a top team and wait your chance. Another team might eliminate the Wolves. There might be an injury.

You keep going far and hope that one year things go your way.

You don't blow a championship team with a player like Jokic. Nuggets aren't the Lakers or something who can acquire top talent here and there. They have Jokic, they ride Jokic and try to make small moves to improve the team.

I don’t think the wolves are unbeatable against Denver. But people have to realize this Wolves team will have several players getting huge salary increases starting next year. Their cap will increase by 20 million while losing bench pieces. Pushing them further into the second apron. With less draft picks to supplement their core. It is more likely that the Twolves break up their core if they lose this round than the Nuggets do if they lose this series. Also once you hit the second apron it is hard to get reinforcements.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/minnesota_timberwolves/
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#142 » by winforlose » Wed May 8, 2024 5:14 pm

Rather than agree or disagree with the take, I will simply ask, what are the trade values of the other 4 starters? Assume you keep Joker no matter what, but everyone else is available for a price. I don’t think Braun or Watson have established themselves enough yet to get a good return. I don’t think Reggie Jackson or Justin Holiday have a significant trade value. But KCP, MPJ, Gordon, and especially Murray all have significant value. The next logical step in this conversation is moving from should they make changes, to what specific changes should they make? Are you trying to get smaller, bigger, more athletic, cheaper, ect…? Especially if you are gonna lose KCP anyway.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,452

Post#143 » by Oscirus » Wed May 8, 2024 5:14 pm

can the nuggets at least lose the series before we declare them dead? Holy moly
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,016

Post#144 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 5:14 pm

TheShow2021 wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
Everyone but Jokic+AG should be on the table.

AG in the dunker's spot is sabotaging Jokic for a few key matchups. They can double Jokic without getting hurt by AG. In those matchups they would be much better offensively with a guy who could simply hit a wide open corner 3. He absolutely has to go as more teams evolve to this emerging meta. He and Jamal are the two guys I am trading first.

AG is on a relatively good contract and is just too perfect next to Jokic. He's the Nuggets with the second best RAPM behind Jokic https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mhwOLqPu2F9026EQiVxFPIN1t9RGafGpl-dokaIsm9c/edit#gid=923517192
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,483

Post#145 » by levon » Wed May 8, 2024 5:16 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
TheShow2021 wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
Everyone but Jokic+AG should be on the table.

AG in the dunker's spot is sabotaging Jokic for a few key matchups. They can double Jokic without getting hurt by AG. In those matchups they would be much better offensively with a guy who could simply hit a wide open corner 3. He absolutely has to go as more teams evolve to this emerging meta. He and Jamal are the two guys I am trading first.

AG is on a relatively good contract and is just too perfect next to Jokic. He's the Nuggets with the second best RAPM behind Jokic https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mhwOLqPu2F9026EQiVxFPIN1t9RGafGpl-dokaIsm9c/edit#gid=923517192

Gordon makes them a contender. Not MPJ, not even Murray. Gordon makes the whole big rotation work with Jokic defensively and connects everything.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#146 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 5:16 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:Let's pretend they really can't beat the Wolves, not this year and not the next.

Don't blow it up. Keep being a top team and wait your chance. Another team might eliminate the Wolves. There might be an injury.

You don't blow a championship team with a player like Jokic. Nuggets aren't the Lakers or something who can acquire top talent here and there. They have Jokic, they ride Jokic and try to make small moves to improve the team.

I don’t think the wolves are unbeatable against Denver. But people have to realize this Wolves team will have several players getting huge salary increases starting next year. Their cap will increase by 20 million while losing bench pieces. Pushing them further into the second apron. With less draft picks to supplement their core. It is more likely that the Twolves break up their core if they lose this round than the Nuggets do if they lose this series. Also once you hit the second apron it is hard to get reinforcements.

Also I imagine the Nuggets could have beaten the Wolves this year if Murray+KCP were healthy
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#147 » by ___Rand___ » Wed May 8, 2024 5:18 pm

jkvonny wrote:
Handlez wrote:They have to add talent to their current roster, not break up their current roster.

This

It's just that the length and athleticism of TWolves are a difficult match up for Nuggets. You don't break up a team because you have a bad match up against another strong contender. You tweak the lineup. You also tweak your schemes. The growth they expected from the bench hasn't happened. They gotta find better role players.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#148 » by WentzerWuver » Wed May 8, 2024 5:22 pm

bstein14 wrote:They are already in the tax before resigning KCP they likely will need to move MPJ for a cheaper contract.

Detroit is obviously desperate I wonder Denver would take on Stewart for MPJ, or if they'd want Stewart + Ivey.

I doubt Detroit would give up both but I could see them moving one to add a legit scorer like MPJ to a team desperate to add talent.

Pistons would offer "I punch drunk that Suns backup center guy" Stewart and Grimes. Ivey, Duren and C are the untouchables.

Grimes is better than Ivey, who is still growing.

https://youtu.be/ETrSPhePyKM?si=x0NieaoR8o3cldQd

Didn't you get the memo?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,384

Post#149 » by ItsDanger » Wed May 8, 2024 5:26 pm

Jokic and Murray want a break before Olympics.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,361

Post#150 » by CobraCommander » Wed May 8, 2024 5:28 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
shrink wrote:FWIW, while I don’t agree with breaking up the Nuggets, I wanted to point out that the DNVR guys are legit, not like the national media just trying to generate click-bait.

They're totally legit, especially Mares (who made this remark)

He didn’t say break the team up though. Retooling maybe if they fail in this fashion by getting swept.

Every team retools tho- what does that mean

You wouldn’t move Murray, Jokic or Gordon or MPJ - because you need to give me a comp that is better at equal or better salary.

Plus all those guys have higher upsides playing with Jokic and everyone in the league knows it

Murray is the Canadian Booker - good enough to be a leading man on a bad team or the second best on a champion. Who would you get back that is that good? Murray can be the best guy on the court any given night - who you gonna get back for Murray that can be that ?

Either way you get my point - these guys one year removed from raising the banner and you want to start over around jokic like this is broken while the truth is - the wolves just might be the team of destiny and you watch what they do and decide how to match them because you are the second best team on earth IF they sweep you -

No one thinks Dallas or OKC or Boston sweeps Denver.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,572

Post#151 » by ibraheim718 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:30 pm

They need to retool.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#152 » by CobraCommander » Wed May 8, 2024 5:33 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
jkvonny wrote:
Handlez wrote:They have to add talent to their current roster, not break up their current roster.

This

It's just that the length and athleticism of TWolves are a difficult match up for Nuggets. You don't break up a team because you have a bad match up against another strong contender. You tweak the lineup. You also tweak your schemes. The growth they expected from the bench hasn't happened. They gotta find better role players.

These guys get it -

You keep the core that can beat everyone but the wolves and you work on improving around the edges to match up better with the wolves -
Scheme matters too-

They been out coached - it’s odd -

Plus if Edwards IS Mikes son in body and soul, the league is playing for second anyway lol

To beat prime Mike they made a documentary where they took all the attributes of all of the best players of that era and increased their size and strength and made Mike play with cartoons and Mike still won cause he was just that good… ifs Edwards really is that… rack up some second places and call it a career
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,591

Post#153 » by nate33 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:37 pm

Gordon is awesome. Murray is a perfect fit with Jokic and should remain affordable because he's not quite an elite guard. KCP is effective relative to his contract.

The real issue is Porter. He is neither a dynamic scorer nor a very good defender, yet he is being paid a ton. If they could unload him and then replace him with two MLE-tier players, they might be better off.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer

Post#154 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 5:43 pm

nate33 wrote:Gordon is awesome. Murray is a perfect fit with Jokic and should remain affordable because he's not quite an elite guard. KCP is effective relative to his contract.

The real issue is Porter. He is neither a dynamic scorer nor a very good defender, yet he is being paid a ton. If they could unload him and then replace him with two MLE-tier players, they might be better off.

Murray is going to make $36 million next year and hasn't been healthy for 3 out of the 4 past post-seasons. Totally reasonable to think that the Nuggets should pair Jokic with another star guard
GameChannel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,099

Post#155 » by GameChannel » Wed May 8, 2024 5:45 pm

Spurs will take Jokic off your hands, Nuggets.

The new twin-towers. Wemby+Jokic connection!
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,427

Post#156 » by Woodsanity » Wed May 8, 2024 5:55 pm

Honestly would consider trading Murray if somehow you can get an all star guard in return.

Its highly unlikely though but someone like Donovan Mitchell (like I said very unlikely) who is far more consistent and not as injury prone.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#157 » by CobraCommander » Wed May 8, 2024 6:00 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Honestly would consider trading Murray if somehow you can get an all star guard in return.

Its highly unlikely though but someone like Donovan Mitchell (like I said very unlikely) who is far more consistent and not as injury prone.

You really think Mitchell is a upgrade over Murray?

lol

Everyone’s numbers better when they the first option - why does this point allude people
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,219

Post#158 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 8, 2024 6:02 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:
um. wrote:Denver fans are the worst. I've lived here for 3 decades and the second something isn't right everyone bitches. Its sad honestly. How about you just let the series play out. F--- this guy.

No that's a misread IMO.

What he's saying makes sense.

If a team built to beat you has solved what you do, you may need to alter the equation.

The guy knows the team and he knows ball.

I think he's right. We have to see if Denver is prepared to make real changes.
Did the nuggets have the wolves solved last season?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,998

Post#159 » by AleksandarN » Wed May 8, 2024 6:02 pm

Murray’s issue is health
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#160 » by life_saver » Wed May 8, 2024 6:03 pm

AleksandarN wrote:

Wolves have all of the top7 rotation players signed up for next season. Problem likely starts from 2025-26 season when NAW, Naz will be free agents and Conley would also be like really old but for now, all the starters + Naz, NAW are under contracts for next season too

Return to The General Board