Can someone explain why Brunson is so good?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,325

Re: Can someone explain why Brunson is so good? 

Post#141 » by DaGawd » Thu May 9, 2024 2:57 pm

cgf wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:But Luka is 6' 7.

Brunson is an enigma. The critics and the fans are both right. He's a walking paradox.

Short arms, dad bod, but he always finds a way. With guys like Luka, Jokic, you can at least point to their height, something tangible. Brunson? Looks like he just walked out of the local Y. Maybe the craftiest most resourceful player ever, making the most out of the least. You'd never know just by looking at him, like a serial killer.

so what are we criticizing about him here… his looks or his game???

Don't think that was a criticism. Jalen is awesome in the most literal definition of the word, watching him do what he does inspires awe because he doesn't look like he should be able to be so good.

not his comment itself but the part where he says the critics are right.. what exactly are they right about is what i’m wondering
BaF
Washington Wizards
TinmanZBoy
General Manager
And1: 4,850

Post#142 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu May 9, 2024 3:04 pm

I think this is a thread for Mavericks fans, particularly those insightful ones…
My impression with Jalen Brunson in his rookie season was this short but strong dude was good at driving the lane and attacking the rim… a smooth athlete, skillful…very confident…solid defender… just a lot positives about him… over the years he becomes a better and better shooter, he is also in a perfect situation now, being the No.1 in a crappy relentless team, his confidence is out of chart now, this is his peak… the question is how long he can keep on playing at this level
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#143 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 3:05 pm

DaGawd wrote:
cgf wrote:
DaGawd wrote:so what are we criticizing about him here… his looks or his game???

Don't think that was a criticism. Jalen is awesome in the most literal definition of the word, watching him do what he does inspires awe because he doesn't look like he should be able to be so good.

not his comment itself but the part where he says the critics are right.. what exactly are they right about is what i’m wondering

That he doesn't look like he should be this dominant?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#144 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 3:06 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:I think this is a thread for Mavericks fans, particularly those insightful ones…
My impression with Jalen Brunson in his rookie season was this short but strong dude was good at driving the lane and attacking the rim… a smooth athlete, skillful…very confident…solid defender… just a lot positives about him… over the years he becomes a better and better shooter, he is also in a perfect situation now, being the No.1 in a crappy relentless team, his confidence is out of chart now, this is his peak… the question is how long he can keep on playing at this level

Every time someone says that, he finds another gear 8-)
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,325

Post#145 » by DaGawd » Thu May 9, 2024 3:08 pm

cgf wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
cgf wrote:

That he doesn't look like he should be this dominant?

maybe that’s what he meant. if so my bad. i’m more trying to understand the people who are discrediting by saying he’s nothing special, or that he’s still not a 1A type player.. like how much more evidence do you need to see
BaF
Washington Wizards
TinmanZBoy
General Manager

Post#146 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu May 9, 2024 3:09 pm

cgf wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:I think this is a thread for Mavericks fans, particularly those insightful ones…

You certainly hope so as a fan… but I think this is his ceiling
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,249

Post#147 » by Lalouie » Thu May 9, 2024 3:09 pm

simple,,,,he plays with contact

you're not going to disturb his game because he SEEKS being disturbed. he's got all the answers if you want to screw his game up

you put a body on most players today and they start whining. brunson is like "thank you ma'am, may i have another"

and he shoots from ANYWHERE(like from any part of the floor) like a mu****fkk
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,794

Post#148 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:21 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
cgf wrote:

Even if he has reached his ceiling, are you really acting like thats a bad thing?
cgf
RealGM

Post#149 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 3:28 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
cgf wrote:

Your position makes sense...but so far in his career every time he's been doubted (reasonably or not) he's proven those doubts wrong. So I've given up on trying to guess what the limits to his game are. For all I know we'll look back at this run and talk about how this was just a fraction of what he'd be capable of "in his prime".

Probably not, but with this dude, I just don't know :dontknow:

cgf
RealGM

Post#150 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 3:29 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
cgf wrote:

Even if he has reached his ceiling, are you really acting like thats a bad thing?

Don't think they were. At least I didn't read their initial post as them saying it was a bad thing. I was just trying to make a joke about how Jalen just continues to smash the hurdles people (often reasonably) think will trip him up.

Mogspan
Senior
And1: 1,247

Post#151 » by Mogspan » Thu May 9, 2024 3:34 pm

Very smart player. Not in the obvious sense of a Jokić with freakish court vision, but he just knows how to play. He knows what he wants to do, and he knows what his opponents will try to do in response to his and his team’s movements. He identifies these subtle movements and openings, and he uses his ball handling and shooting to capitalize on them.
Also, something that might surprise people. I think when it comes to athleticism, agility, physical attributes and skill I rate LeBron only in the top 50.
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Post#152 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:12 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
blueNorange wrote:i’ll do it for you, his last 5 games

60% overall
35% from three

womp womp

Derrick white dropping his worst game
60% overall
52.2% from three

Does this mean that Derrick White is now the best shooter in the NBA? That FAR superior to Brunson, and White is a vastly superior Defender, so that means Derrick is better than Brunson

It dont work that way, Cant just eliminate games that you dont like.

Regular season
48% and 40%
Career 49% and 39% respectively
Comparable

PLayoffs
46% and 32% with 10.5 fta.
Excluding his rookie year off the bench
PLayoffs are 46.6% and 33.2%
COmparable

He is on par with his career playoff performances and the statistics state that he is on a burner right now, just like Derrick White is, but you have to assume that he will return to his norms, especially against better defenses.

Philly and Pacers are about as ideal of matchups as Knicks could have to have Brunson score a bunch. They dont have great point of attack defense at all.

How often is Derrick White doubled? Especially on a team where Tatum and Brown are the main scoring threats?

Also, Philly’s defense was a top 10 defense this season. Closer to top 5 with Embiid. Scorched them even when consistently being double and triple teamed. Same thing is happening now against the Pacers. At some point, this stops being a fluke.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,249

Post#153 » by Lalouie » Thu May 9, 2024 4:17 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
cgf wrote:

the TRULY most overrated concept in sports. it has ruined basketball

and to be quite honest,,,most players never reach their ceiling in their lifetime(ie 100 >110% of what they can be). take that back, substitute "players" for "people"
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#154 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 9, 2024 4:19 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
cgf wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Truth hurts. Jalen Brunson are getting a legendary whistle. One that is so extreme that two teams are about to file reports with the league about how unbalanced this **** is. Let that sink in for a sec. All the complaints you've made about Embiid. At no point did teams ever submit complaints with the league (formal) saying the Sixers got too many calls. Hmm, I wonder why, maybe because Embiid earns the majority of his calls.

Nice try though.

It's because we know we don't need to. We've already got the refs in our back pocket, and it's going to stay that way :rock:
I'm glad you're finally seeing the truth for what it is.
And you realized you over paid 1300 bucks for your phone just to chat on here Lol
rickxdel
Junior
And1: 499

Post#155 » by rickxdel » Thu May 9, 2024 4:25 pm

He's a great shooter at all levels of the court, can make shots with a hand over his face, can make it on dudes that are 6'8 and lengthy.

Has great footwork and knows how to seek contact and finish thru it.

And maybe most important of all he is flat-out a winning player, he's shown he's clutch and he's shown he's a General on the court for his team, when he's out there they have all the confidence in the world.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,608

Post#156 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu May 9, 2024 4:28 pm

Reasonable question ruined by "doesn't pass the eye test" lol
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,608

Post#157 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu May 9, 2024 4:34 pm

LaLover11 wrote:Big head syndrome :) & also playing two crappy teams so far in the playoffs. Next series will change his whole status.

If he can dominate and beat the Celtics
His fandom will go crazy

The heat were crappy too when he put up 31/5/6 on 63% TS against them last year right?
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,734

Post#158 » by CoP » Thu May 9, 2024 5:14 pm

- Elite three-level scorer
- Shifty/quick
- Initiates contact well and finishes through it
- Is good at selling calls
- Can quickly determine what the defense is trying to take away and adjust almost immediately
TinmanZBoy
General Manager

Post#159 » by TinmanZBoy » Thu May 9, 2024 6:33 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
cgf wrote:

Not a bad thing…this is top 10 player level
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,605

Post#160 » by rockmanslim » Thu May 9, 2024 6:56 pm

DaGawd wrote:
cgf wrote:
DaGawd wrote:so what are we criticizing about him here… his looks or his game???

I was just saying the critics saying he's small, nothing special athletically, etc. are right.

But the fans saying he just gets it done are also right. He's a force of nature.

He's Peter from Deadpool 2. Ok maybe that's harsh.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Return to The General Board