Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is it still too early or Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden over Durant?

It is still too early to decide
57%
Portland made a huge error taking Oden over Durant
43%

Total votes: 167

Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,493

Re: Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden now? 

Post#141 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:28 pm

I say when Durant becomes an all NBA fixure that is when it will be when we can admit that Portland messed up.

Nonetheless.... it is very easy to look back and say it is a mistake now, but I doubt that there would be any GM's that would pick Durant over Oden in the 2007 draft.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,991

Post#142 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:30 pm

Where is the poll option for "Portland made the right decision picking Oden over Durant"?
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#143 » by Guy986 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:30 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Where is the poll option for "Portland made the right decision picking Oden over Durant"?

Sorry, no option for something that is blatantly untrue.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#144 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:33 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Where is the poll option for "Portland made the right decision picking Oden over Durant"?
You won't see one because this is a cleverly disguised "Dump on Oden" thread.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#145 » by andyhop » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:34 pm

Cro_Ruption wrote:
Buckeye-NBAFan wrote:
BlazertheGreek wrote:I wanted to mention....anyone who says Durant is a better player than Roy right now I think is mistaken. Roy is a better all around player than Durant. He has a higher Basketball IQ, I would rather have a smarter and maybe not as talented player than just a talented player like Durant.... and not too mention Roy plays better defense too. If I had to pick right now, I would rather have Brandon Roy over Kevin Durant. Who knows I maybe completely way off here.

I think Roy was the better player for Durant's first two years in the NBA.

But this year, Durant will clearly be the better player now and for the foreseeable future.

Durant's going to be putting up 28/7/3/1.5/1 or better this year with 8.5+ FT/game, and his shooting efficiency was great last year.

but how many wins will his team get?
idc if Durant puts up 40/15/5, the guys team who wins more games is the better player

So West is a better player than Roy and Varejao is a better player than Aldridge in your eyes I take it?
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#146 » by sabi » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:35 pm

Guy986 wrote:

:lol: You sure know everything don't you? I mean, you make the most definitive statements anyone can make. Just like you said last off season that Batum wouldn't make the rotation in Portland. He ended up being our starter... :roll:
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#147 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:36 pm

Let say for the sake of arguement, Portand did do the unthinkable and draft Durant... and OKC picked Oden... Would people still rag on Oden for his production thus far? I think so.

It isn't unreasonable for people to question the validity of the pick given that Oden has left much to be desired. We didn't know how his body would endure an NBA season, but the draft is a risk and in most educated minds, Oden was the more sure thing esp after seeing the disappointing draft combine numbers that Durant posted.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#148 » by Guy986 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:38 pm

sabi wrote:
Guy986 wrote:

:lol: You sure know everything don't you? I mean, you make the most definitive statements anyone can make. Just like you said last off season that Batum wouldn't make the rotation in Portland. He ended up being our starter... :roll:

I had no idea that Portland's small forward depth chart was in such bad shape....

Ok I'm a man and i admit i was wrong about Batum.
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#149 » by Cro_Ruption » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:46 pm

So West is a better player than Roy and Varejao is a better player than Aldridge in your eyes I take it?

they dont have the same impact on a game that lma and roy have.. so use some common sense
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#150 » by EventHorizon » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:47 pm

Take it from Raps fans, it can take 3 years.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#151 » by andyhop » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:56 pm

Cro_Ruption wrote:
they dont have the same impact on a game that lma and roy have.. so use some common sense

I was just taking you at your word that you believe that the player whose team wins the most games is the better player.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
24_7
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#152 » by 24_7 » Sun Aug 9, 2009 11:58 pm

this is the year to prove himself...if he doesnt then you can say portland fu*cked up
LAmarOdom+KB24
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#153 » by 5DOM » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:06 am

Cro_Ruption wrote:

I guess Roy is a better player than Dwyane Wade then?
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#154 » by TAI8 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:10 am

No...Durant does nothing for Portland to turn their D around. With Oden there is always the possibility that Portland gets the defensive anchor essential for every championship contending team.
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#155 » by thegreatblaze » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:18 am

The irony of this whole situation is that Durant was called the "Black Adam Morrison" after his rookie season, now he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Will you people ever learn?
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#156 » by Flash3 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:22 am

TheGreatBlaze wrote:The irony of this whole situation is that Durant was called the "Black Adam Morrison" after his rookie season, now he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Will you people ever learn?

Morrison hasn't proved he even belongs on a 12 man roster, let alone prove he can score 20+ on any given night with all defenses aiming at stopping him. So, whomever labeled him that is either (Please Use More Appropriate Word) or hasn't seen Durant and Morrison play NBA ball.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#157 » by TAI8 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 am

^Don't forget taller Jamal Crawford this time last year...
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#158 » by thegreatblaze » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:30 am

Well there were plenty of labels for him, as TAI8 helped mention. I'm simply trying to make a point.
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#159 » by Bskey » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:43 am

Blame Rasho wrote:I say when Durant becomes an all NBA fixure that is when it will be when we can admit that Portland messed up.

Nonetheless.... it is very easy to look back and say it is a mistake now, but I doubt that there would be any GM's that would pick Durant over Oden in the 2007 draft.

That's assuming that Oden doesn't join him.

It's funny because after Durant's rookie year people labeled him a glorified chucker of a bust. I spent a lot of time defending him knowing it's his rookie season and how stupid it is to label a guy based off of one year.

Now were going through the same thing with Oden. And even more so he was RECOVERING FROM MF SURGERY AND MISSED AN ENTIRE YEAR OF BASKETBALL COMING INTO HIS ROOKIE YEAR. People really want to decide whether hes good or bad based on THAT? It's plain idiotic. Regardless of how he ends up trying to decide what that will be now is nothing more than hating, loving, or guessing. People can have their opinions about what his growth will be in the next few years but nobody knows what the finish product will be.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#160 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 am

Bskey wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:I say when Durant becomes an all NBA fixure that is when it will be when we can admit that Portland messed up.

That's assuming that Oden doesn't join him.

It's funny because after Durant's rookie year people labeled him a glorified chucker of a bust. I spent a lot of time defending him knowing it's his rookie season and how stupid it is to label a guy based off of one year.

Now were going through the same thing with Oden. And even more so he was RECOVERING FROM MF SURGERY AND MISSED AN ENTIRE YEAR OF BASKETBALL COMING INTO HIS ROOKIE YEAR. People really want to decide whether hes good or bad based on THAT? It's plain idiotic. Regardless of how he ends up trying to decide what that will be now is nothing more than hating, loving, or guessing. People can have their opinions about what his growth will be in the next few years but nobody knows what the finish product will be.

The thing is that there are more reasons to doubt Oden than there are to have faith in him. It isn't unreasonable opinion given what we have seen from him thus far.

Return to The General Board