Can someone explain why Brunson is so good?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,642

Re: Can someone explain why Brunson is so good? 

Post#161 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 8:58 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
cgf wrote:
It's because we know we don't need to. We've already got the refs in our back pocket, and it's going to stay that way :rock:
I'm glad you're finally seeing the truth for what it is.
And you realized you over paid 1300 bucks for your phone just to chat on here Lol
Naw I got it for $200 on exchange.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#162 » by Joker » Thu May 9, 2024 11:06 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Joker wrote:Steph Curry and Brunson - not the greatest physical specimens but dads were NBA players and moms were div 1 ncaa athletes. Pretty damn good genetic starting point for coordination, agility, good hands, good feet, competitiveness, reactivity, agility, finesse.

Little known fact that you may appreciate, Kobe's maternal uncle played in the NBA.

maternal side genetics is definitely overlooked. Even Lebron or Jordan's genes can't guarantee anything as far as NBA prospects go.
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,598

Post#163 » by Ugly Duckling » Thu May 9, 2024 11:12 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
You say that as if LeBron hasn't won a championship in the West and Durant didn't flop out of the playoffs in the East.

Everything has a context. The context here is the Knicks would be a 2nd round out at best every year if not for injuries.

Injuries are part of the game. The healthiest team is usually the champion. The Knicks have injuries too.

yo this is def not true. there is some luck involved in terms of which players get which injuries down the stretch, but health is just part of it for sure
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,105

Post#164 » by Im Coming Home » Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 am

NY2k1 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
blueNorange wrote:bet this sounded way cooler in your head.

I mean he's a borderline top 10 type guy, but in the West the Knicks would be a 1st round out and nobody would care that much about him. Heck, he's only going to get out of the 2nd round thanks to injuries. Bucks and Sixers (and the Heat) would have smoked the Knicks if they were healthy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Knicks aren't fully healthy either, my guy.

Probably the least healthy team in the playoffs at that... :lol: :lol:
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,186
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#165 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 10, 2024 12:50 am

Joker wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Joker wrote:Steph Curry and Brunson - not the greatest physical specimens but dads were NBA players and moms were div 1 ncaa athletes. Pretty damn good genetic starting point for coordination, agility, good hands, good feet, competitiveness, reactivity, agility, finesse.

Little known fact that you may appreciate, Kobe's maternal uncle played in the NBA.

maternal side genetics is definitely overlooked. Even Lebron or Jordan's genes can't guarantee anything as far as NBA prospects go.

The Ball family is a good example. People call Lavar a genius because his kids all made it to some extent, but most importantly is they are all 6’4+, with the functional strength and athletic ability to play at the NBA level, even the one who didn’t make it. It’s not a coincidence that both parents were college athletes.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,589

Post#166 » by DaPessimist » Fri May 10, 2024 12:56 am

I'm gonna keep it real. Despite all of the evidence right in front of my face, there's something inside me that still doesn't think his performance is sustainable; in these playoffs, or in the regular season next year. I'm not sure why I can't get on board the hype train; it's probably just his size?
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,335

Post#167 » by DaGawd » Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 am

DaPessimist wrote:I'm gonna keep it real. Despite all of the evidence right in front of my face, there's something inside me that still doesn't think his performance is sustainable; in these playoffs, or in the regular season next year. I'm not sure why I can't get on board the hype train; it's probably just his size?

knicks hate maybe? cause there have been plenty of dominant small players before
BaF
Washington Wizards
donkki
Assistant Coach
And1: 636

Post#168 » by donkki » Fri May 10, 2024 1:01 am

DaPessimist wrote:I'm gonna keep it real. Despite all of the evidence right in front of my face, there's something inside me that still doesn't think his performance is sustainable; in these playoffs, or in the regular season next year. I'm not sure why I can't get on board the hype train; it's probably just his size?

He did this all year so I can confidently say that the performance is sustainable. He really is the real deal.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,335

Post#169 » by DaGawd » Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 am

donkki wrote:

He did this all year so I can confidently say that the performance is sustainable. He really is the real deal.

the year before too although not on the same scale since he had a healthy randle to share the load with
BaF
Washington Wizards
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,572

Post#170 » by ibraheim718 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:09 am

Probably the best in between game in the league at PG. Good shooter. He's lefty so that right off the bat is harder to stop. His footwork is insane for a small guard also. Plays bigger than his size.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#171 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 1:12 am

Is it cause he looks like just some dude from the park? Like any one of us might be bigger and more athletic?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,589

Post#172 » by DaPessimist » Fri May 10, 2024 1:22 am

cgf wrote:

Is it cause he looks like just some dude from the park? Like any one of us might be bigger and more athletic?

I think it's just his size and the difficulty level of the shots he makes. Gives me Isaiah Thomas (Celtics) vibes.
cgf
RealGM

Post#173 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 1:25 am

DaPessimist wrote:
cgf wrote:

I think it's just his size and the difficulty level of the shots he makes. Gives me Isaiah Thomas (Celtics) vibes.

I can get that, but I do think that the differences make it a lot more sustainable...Jalen being a lot more powerful than IT was and having better footwork, even though he's not as explosive.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,794

Post#174 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:26 am

DaPessimist wrote:
cgf wrote:

Theres a big difference but your hatred for New York won’t let you see it
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,016

Post#175 » by tsherkin » Fri May 10, 2024 1:32 am

DaGawd wrote:

knicks hate maybe? cause there have been plenty of dominant small players before

Yeah, it's a weird take. His numbers in the playoffs aren't sexy, aside from the volume.

He's scoring 35.6 ppg, but he's shooting a slashline of 45.7% FG / 32.1% 3P / 80.7% FT and 50.3% 2FG. In the RS, he was posting 47.9 / 40.1 / 84.7 / 51.6.

If anything, he's due for a few more big games from 3 like game 2 vs. Indiana just was. Like, he isn't really murdering it at a level better than he was doing in the RS, but he's taking a half dozen more FGA/g, so his volume is up. He is getting more of a whistle, but he's at .379, which is very, very far from egregious. Sure, of course, shooting well on 27+ FGA/g is tough, and he's doing a lot of it from 3-16 feet. But he's actually shooting worse from 10-16 and only 1.5% better from 3-10 than he was in the RS. So it's not like we're seeing crazy stuff from him in terms of finishing.

It'll be tough on him to log 42.4 mpg (around +7 mpg compared to the RS) with that increased volume over a long time. That's sort of a given. We sure aren't going to see that from him in an RS. But he's a danger to do it for the rest of the series because he's a good shooter with a strong off-the-dribble game who knows how to use screens, right? He's not doing too much differently other than using more possessions and playing more minutes. He's at 33.8 FGA100 in the playoffs versus 30.5 FGA100 in the RS, FWIW.
cgf
RealGM

Post#176 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 1:35 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:
cgf wrote:

Theres a big difference but your hatred for New York won’t let you see it

Come on guys. Enough Knicks fans doubted Brunson when we first signed him. Was that just because they were Knicks haters? If people don't watch our games, how are they supposed to know that this is just what Jalen does?

I don't watch many Lakers games, so I have no idea if AD is really defending like a monster this year or if that was just Lakers' fan hype. I can look at the #s, but that doesn't give you the full picture without watching him for yourself. So there's gunna be folks that haven't seen enough of Brunson to trust the #s...especially out west.

There's definitely some haters on here, but we're not as persecuted as some of y'all come to the GB assuming. Ignorance =/= Malice

KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,470

Post#177 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:42 am

Brunson was asked how he's able to be so good or clutch I forget.... his response (I'll try and find the video)

"You have to learn at a young age to HATE losing.... it's not something that can be developed later in life..."

Its the truest quote I've ever heard. You either have the competitive bone in your body or you don't.... it could be with ANYTHING racing someone, eating contest," friendly wagers", throwing a piece of paper in a bucket.... u have it or you don't... u see it all the time amongst friends/family.

How many of yall take it serious or just goof around? bc I know what I do... Brunson is x100000 in his preparation, practice, film study.... he's just different & SUPREMELY talented at basketball

He grew up around the mecca of basketball... he comes from amazing programs & discipline, his work ethic came from his pops at a young age... he was born to play basketball
twozeroMM
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,759

Post#178 » by twozeroMM » Fri May 10, 2024 1:44 am

He's a Porsche 911 disguised as an F150.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,066

Post#179 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri May 10, 2024 1:50 am

tsherkin wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

Yeah, it's a weird take. His numbers in the playoffs aren't sexy, aside from the volume.

He's scoring 35.6 ppg, but he's shooting a slashline of 45.7% FG / 32.1% 3P / 80.7% FT and 50.3% 2FG. In the RS, he was posting 47.9 / 40.1 / 84.7 / 51.6.

If anything, he's due for a few more big games from 3 like game 2 vs. Indiana just was. Like, he isn't really murdering it at a level better than he was doing in the RS, but he's taking a half dozen more FGA/g, so his volume is up. He is getting more of a whistle, but he's at .379, which is very, very far from egregious. Sure, of course, shooting well on 27+ FGA/g is tough, and he's doing a lot of it from 3-16 feet. But he's actually shooting worse from 10-16 and only 1.5% better from 3-10 than he was in the RS. So it's not like we're seeing crazy stuff from him in terms of finishing.

It'll be tough on him to log 42.4 mpg (around +7 mpg compared to the RS) with that increased volume over a long time. That's sort of a given. We sure aren't going to see that from him in an RS. But he's a danger to do it for the rest of the series because he's a good shooter with a strong off-the-dribble game who knows how to use screens, right? He's not doing too much differently other than using more possessions and playing more minutes. He's at 33.8 FGA100 in the playoffs versus 30.5 FGA100 in the RS, FWIW.

I feel like Philly really game-planned well in G1 and G2. Jalen eventually figured it out, but those first 2 games were extremely horrific for him...he got blocked a few times each game (which rarely ever happens...don't think any Knicks fans were used to that) and Philly is a good defensive team. I feel like he's rebounded well from G3 - G8 in the playoffs though. I also think players face better gameplans too.

The other side of it is that the rest of our team really isn't that great offensively. Randle is gone. Bogdan got hurt. We let go of RJ and Quickley a while ago for OG. We have some solid all around players, but not anyone else who could really take on the 2nd role. I believe this is where Brunson's decline in 3 percentage comes from. If I remember correctly, Julius gave Brunson lots of good 3 point shot opportunities.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,470

Post#180 » by KnixtapeH20 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:55 am

[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/IjV4HsjU4zU?si=ZIsN3TO14lVRD7l2
[/youtube]

can someone please post this for me or explain how to post YouTube links? thanks

Return to The General Board