What's your teams best offer for Donovan Mitchell?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Re: What's your teams best offer for Donovan Mitchell? 

Post#161 » by toooskies » Thu May 16, 2024 6:23 pm

iserp wrote:
toooskies wrote:So many of these offers have so very little of what Cleveland will be looking for if they trade Mitchell. They have no need for draft pick-laden deals. If they did, they talk to Oklahoma City first.

The first thing Cleveland would want in a Mitchell trade is a young player near the Mobley/Garland timeline. Someone 22-27, 3+ years of team control, potential all-star. The best offer starts there.

Why would a team with such a player trade it for Donovan Mitchell?

Player-for-player trades are rare and usually are only successful if you solve problems of fit / position / chemistry for both teams with it.

Mitchell to NOP for Murphy+ or Ingram+ is a fit improvement for both teams.

Mitchell to Orlando for the Wagners+ is a fit improvement for both teams. Orlando has almost too many guys in their rotation, particularly at forward.

Mitchell for Jaylen Brown could be a ceiling raiser for the Celtics and a fit improvement for the Cavs.

Houston both wants to elevate their competitiveness while having too many guys to give Whitmore run at the start of the season.

You usually have a young centerpiece as the core of star trades.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#162 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 16, 2024 6:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Actually realistic / reasonable trades if Mitchell wants out

Mitchell to Miami for Herro, JJJ, Jovic
Mitchell to Houston for Green or Jabari + Brooks + #3

Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks, Knicks, and Nets don’t have salaries that fight and/or any assets

I think it’s more like Garland goes to Orlando or San Antonio and Mitchell resigns given recent reports

I'm all the way out on Herro. My faith in Altman would be shaken to the core if he accepted that Heat package.

Also, I think the Nets can put together the best offer if they're so inclined.

Any Nets package is horrible without Bridges. Even if the Nets got Mitchell for free without losing any assets they’d be a competitive downgrade from this Cavs team. If they give up resources (and their only good one is Bridges) that team looks awful
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,715

Post#163 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:48 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Actually realistic / reasonable trades if Mitchell wants out

Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks, Knicks, and Nets don’t have salaries that fight and/or any assets

I think it’s more like Garland goes to Orlando or San Antonio and Mitchell resigns given recent reports

I'm all the way out on Herro. My faith in Altman would be shaken to the core if he accepted that Heat package.

Any Nets package is horrible without Bridges. Even if the Nets got Mitchell for free without losing any assets they’d be a competitive downgrade from this Cavs team. If they give up resources (and their only good one is Bridges) that team looks awful

I mean DFS, Schroder, and those Suns picks provide a lot more flexibility going forward.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#164 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm

I was thinking about the Lillard trade. I'm still scratching my head why Portland did that. From Bucks they got Jru Holiday who they instantly moved to Boston, a 2029 frp, and two pick swaps. It was a 3 team trade they also got Ayton from Suns and Toumani Camaron who scored like 7 ppg. Seems like a really bad trade was that the best they could do?
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,583

Post#165 » by stuporman » Thu May 16, 2024 6:56 pm

Another summer of Spida rumors...Knicks fans will be thrilled I'm sure.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#166 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 16, 2024 7:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I mean DFS, Schroder, and those Suns picks provide a lot more flexibility going forward.

Not really. You don’t trade a top 15 player for two guys who aren’t top 100 and picks many years down the road that might be good hopefully
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#167 » by NatiboyB » Thu May 16, 2024 7:26 pm

Since I’m a Cavs fan I’m obviously a bit one sided but if Mitchell refused to sign I’d be willing to move him to the following teams:

Heat- Tyler Herro/Jaime Jaquez or Nikola Jovic

I can slot Herro into the SG position alongside Garland and than possibly package Allen/Struss for someone
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,593

Post#168 » by sol537 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:43 pm

First, Shams would have to report that Spida is not signing in Cleveland

Then, Spida has to leak a list of teams he’d play for… 3-4 would do it

Then, those 3-4 teams would have to make offers (some might not want to make an offer).

Lastly, Cavs negotiate and pick the best offer.

There won’t be 10 teams submitting offers to the Cavs.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#169 » by toooskies » Thu May 16, 2024 8:20 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think a 3-team trade where Utah gets the Nets' Phoenix picks and Cleveland gets most/all of their picks back from Utah is an intriguing option.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,144

Post#170 » by Effigy » Thu May 16, 2024 8:24 pm

Laimbeer wrote:For reference the Cavs gave up -

Unprotected FRPs in 2025, 2027, 2029
Unprotected swaps in 2026 and 2028

Lauri Markkanen
Collin Sexton
Ochai Agbaji

Danny Ainge is a bad human being.

Lol. He completely is. Waited for the picks that come in after Mitchell leaves.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,385

Post#171 » by flow » Thu May 16, 2024 8:50 pm

Dominator83 wrote:Not worth what he would cost. He sure hasn't helped the Cavs much. And he misses alot of games.

This.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,715

Post#172 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:55 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:

Not really. You don’t trade a top 15 player for two guys who aren’t top 100 and picks many years down the road that might be good hopefully

If you trade for a $30M 6th man and try to upgrade or move off of him with whatever middling draft capital the Heat make available, you won't like the response from your trade partners.

If you have an expiring Schroeder, an expiring LeVert, those 3 Suns picks, and the Philly pick, you'll get a lot more interest league wide.

I'm in the extend Mitchell and run it back under another coach camp, but if Klutch or Garland remove that option, then I'm taking the best value deal with an eye towards actually acquiring a difference maker down the road.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,385

Post#173 » by flow » Thu May 16, 2024 8:57 pm

cgf wrote:Probably just DiVincenzo + Bogdanovic + picks

Chemistry is a fragile thing, and Mitchell is a chemistry killer. With the chemistry this Knicks team has formed, it would be a fireable offense for their GM to even think about acquiring Mitchell.

Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,412

Post#174 » by Iwasawitness » Thu May 16, 2024 8:58 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Nic Claxton would be a terrific asset if you get him along with one of their 3/D wings.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,409

Post#175 » by Scalabrine » Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

Lauri Markkanen
Collin Sexton
Ochai Agbaji

Sheesh, and people still bring up the PG/OKC trade after this?

well, given the scuttle this am is Mitchell is likely to resign with cleveland, the picks and pickawaps are likely not going to be lottery picks.

Abajai has already been trades
Sexton profiles as a 6th man heat check guy
and Markannan is going to want the max next offseason…have fun Utah

clipper, meanwhile, gave up an MVP candidate and all the future picks on an old team

Just because he is likely to re-sign doesnt mean he's likely to stay in Cleveland. We've seen it plenty of times! Get the max extension, first opportunity available request out.

Also, I just want to give a little bit more love to Sexton, because it seems like you are writing him off or pigeon holing him a bit.

He had a slow start to the season and was in a weird role. He took over the starting role in mid December and absolutely took off.
21.5 points per game
5.6 assists per game (2.1 turnovers per game)
2.6 rebounds per game
51/42/85 shooting splits
This is in 29 minutes per game over a 54 game sample size.

I think he's more than a chucker, heat check guy. He's an efficient scorer that can create for others and defend bigger than his size. If he was in a 6th man role he'd probably be a 6MOY candidate every year, but he could also start on a bunch of good teams too.
Go Knicks!
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,303

Post#176 » by Darthlukey » Thu May 16, 2024 9:34 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:Reportedly multiple teams are preparing "huge offers" for Mitchell.
Let's say that he's told your favorite team he will resign on a max deal if you trade for him. Who's your team and what's the best offer you think they should make?

So long as the best asset within any deal is better than Herro or Reaves, im interested to see what the Cavs can get
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Post#177 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 9:39 pm

srhcan wrote:

Lauri Markkanen
Collin Sexton
Ochai Agbaji

wow; add Cavs in the list of teams destroyed by Danny Ainge
Twice. Go look at the Kyrie trade lol
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#178 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 9:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'd rather have the Heat package than that.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#179 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 16, 2024 9:46 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Nic Claxton would be a terrific asset if you get him along with one of their 3/D wings.
Claxton is a FA but he is also a terrible fit with Mobley. Just retain Allen in that hypothetical.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,433

Post#180 » by Mr Loggins » Thu May 16, 2024 10:31 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Sheesh, and people still bring up the PG/OKC trade after this?

well, given the scuttle this am is Mitchell is likely to resign with cleveland, the picks and pickawaps are likely not going to be lottery picks.

Abajai has already been trades
Sexton profiles as a 6th man heat check guy
and Markannan is going to want the max next offseason…have fun Utah

clipper, meanwhile, gave up an MVP candidate and all the future picks on an old team

Just because he is likely to re-sign doesnt mean he's likely to stay in Cleveland. We've seen it plenty of times! Get the max extension, first opportunity available request out.

Also, I just want to give a little bit more love to Sexton, because it seems like you are writing him off or pigeon holing him a bit.

He had a slow start to the season and was in a weird role. He took over the starting role in mid December and absolutely took off.
21.5 points per game
5.6 assists per game (2.1 turnovers per game)
2.6 rebounds per game
51/42/85 shooting splits
This is in 29 minutes per game over a 54 game sample size.

I think he's more than a chucker, heat check guy. He's an efficient scorer that can create for others and defend bigger than his size. If he was in a 6th man role he'd probably be a 6MOY candidate every year, but he could also start on a bunch of good teams too.

well, we’ve seen sexton average 24 a game on good efficiency for a few years ago and RealGm laughed at cavs fans for thinking he was something, so I’m not sure why he’s getting love now for putting up 18 a game on a similarly bad team

Return to The General Board