Kyrie doing Kyrie things

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,913

Re: Kyrie doing Kyrie things 

Post#21 » by theforumblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:22 pm

just sitting here minding my own business and both my ankles broke just watching this. a little warning next time.
screw these absolute garbage refs
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,305

Post#22 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:36 pm

Kyrie still has one of the most pretty, fluid playstyles to watch. I'm glad we're just watching him play basketball this season!
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,568

Post#23 » by MrGoat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:49 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:
Dirk wrote:No, this isn't about a new book recommendation.

Not sure if this is topic material or not, but for your viewing pleasure.

After the first quarter: 34pts, 9 rb, 7 assists, 2 steals and some plays on Wemby

He scored 34 points of his teams 25 points in the first quarter? How high was his TS%?

He bent time by using the fact that the Earth is flat. That's how
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,135

Post#24 » by Potential » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 pm

Kyrie is underrated right now. Dallas has a chance against any team in a 7 game series because of him and Luka
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,539

Post#25 » by Pelly24 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:03 pm

Potential wrote:Kyrie is underrated right now. Dallas has a chance against any team in a 7 game series because of him and Luka

The thing that's a game-changer is now they have a legit big man and wing rotation. Gafford is a walking efficient double double and lob threat. Lively is already a good defender and lob threat and smart passer. And then PJ Washington has been great on defense so far and he should get his chances to get buckets. The Mavs were missing so many loose balls and rebounds and just size in general. That won't be a problem now, and they've still got Kleber to space the floor and he can play alongside either of them.

THJ can also just go off and be a floating 2nd or 3rd type of option if one of Luka or Kyrie are off. Just a pretty well-rounded team now, especially if Exum can get healthy
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#26 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:34 pm

Pelly24 wrote:
Potential wrote:Kyrie is underrated right now. Dallas has a chance against any team in a 7 game series because of him and Luka

The thing that's a game-changer is now they have a legit big man and wing rotation. Gafford is a walking efficient double double and lob threat. Lively is already a good defender and lob threat and smart passer. And then PJ Washington has been great on defense so far and he should get his chances to get buckets. The Mavs were missing so many loose balls and rebounds and just size in general. That won't be a problem now, and they've still got Kleber to space the floor and he can play alongside either of them.

THJ can also just go off and be a floating 2nd or 3rd type of option if one of Luka or Kyrie are off. Just a pretty well-rounded team now, especially if Exum can get healthy

Yup, last year was a really flawed roster. Kyrie came at the deadline, so no on court chemistry with Luka yet. Their big man rotation was just trash with Wood/Powell/Maxi. What exactly is that group bringing to the table? And their best wing defender was an aged out Bullock.

Now Kyrie and Luka have better chemistry. They get to throw out Gafford and Lively now at the 5, that is a massive upgrade. And its not like PJ Washington is some stud defender, but at least he is an active athletic big body to throw at wings, and again it helps having Gafford or Lively protecting the paint when guys get beat. Theyve got a good solid fitting rotation right now. And I can guarantee no one is going to be happy to face a Luka/Kyrie duo in the playoffs.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,289

Post#27 » by John Murdoch » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:51 pm

Kyrie, Drose, and Tony Parker have the best layup package
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,053

Post#28 » by Sofia » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:57 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:I understand that baggage he comes with, but for the trade market to completely dry up for a 1-of-1 ultra skilled player made no sense to me. I'm still bummed the Lakers weren't able to work something out despite the mutual interest, was lowkey hoping for things to fall apart in Dallas by the trade deadline.

If you're a high-stakes contending team, he should've been near the top of your list, for sure. I get the baggage, but the chances at a championship are so slim anyway, everything is taking a big chance. And the thing about Kyrie that's very underrated is his longevity and the scalability of his game. You could argue that we haven't seen him in the best position to use all of his talents to be a stat-stuffing fringe-MVP type candidate since he left Boston. There's a world where he averages 28/6/6 on 63 TS% with good defense on a team like the Jazz and they make a big run, or finish middle of the conference, etc. But either way, no matter if he's with LeBron, or by himself, or with Harden and KD, or just Harden, or him and Luka, etc., Kyrie is going to get you 25/5/5 with very low turnovers and elite on-ball and off-ball ability. Doesn't take a whole lot for him to get how, can score from everywhere on the court, is a crazy transition threat with his speed, but such a great creator and shooter is also elite in the half court. The Heat, Lakers, Bucks, ...a bunch of teams would be better off with him.

The baggage makes it all a big risk, but if you have a legit MVP-level guy and you throw Kyrie into the mix with a solid defense, you've got a chance to get a W at the highest levels.

I totally agree Lakers should’ve gone for him. But I believe LA has second largest Jewish population behind ny, so I can see Jeanie not wanting to deal with that blowback

It’s Los Angeles. They’ll turn a blind eye to almost anything if it creates something they like.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,356

Post#29 » by picc » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:04 pm

Hopefully the "good players don't fit with Luka" narrative can officially die now. It was dumb to begin with, but this should be nail in coffin. Kyrie looks absolutely amazing next to him.
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,037

Post#30 » by Loneshot » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:05 pm

I still don't see Dallas being a threat in the playoffs.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,006

Post#31 » by tsherkin » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:11 pm

His timing, hesitation game and body control are all fantastic. He has a particularly keen sense of how to manipulate his defender's momentum and expectations.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,869

Post#32 » by Pointgod » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:21 pm

Dirk wrote:No, this isn't about a new book recommendation.

Not sure if this is topic material or not, but for your viewing pleasure.

1st quarter: 0 points

Ends up with: 34pts, 9 rb, 7 assists, 2 steals and some plays on Wemby

Jesus I opened this thread thinking what this guy do now? This the type of attention that Kyrie should be known for.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 428

Post#33 » by boogiezen » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:31 pm

Pelly24 wrote:

Jason Kidd is still the coach.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 374

Post#34 » by reddyplayerone » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 pm

Sofia wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:I totally agree Lakers should’ve gone for him. But I believe LA has second largest Jewish population behind ny, so I can see Jeanie not wanting to deal with that blowback

It’s Los Angeles. They’ll turn a blind eye to almost anything if it creates something they like.

Hrm, Idk but it's almost as if insulting all of one of the largest cities on the planet isn't really what this topic is supposed to be about?

Like this response isn't particularly constructive or valuable or even meant to be, it's just bait that's meant to inflame responses.

I think there's a word for posting like that? Idk

Anyway, yeah Kyrie's been a great player. I don't know that that was ever really in dispute. With him, it really is all about whether or not he's willing to just not be antisemitic, and willing to miss games over dumb stuff like that.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,053

Post#35 » by Sofia » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:52 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
Sofia wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:I totally agree Lakers should’ve gone for him. But I believe LA has second largest Jewish population behind ny, so I can see Jeanie not wanting to deal with that blowback

Hrm, Idk but it's almost as if insulting all of one of the largest cities on the planet isn't really what this topic is supposed to be about?

Like this response isn't particularly constructive or valuable or even meant to be, it's just bait that's meant to inflame responses.

Anyway, yeah Kyrie's been a great player. I don't know that that was ever really in dispute. With him, it really is all about whether or not he's willing to just not be antisemitic, and willing to miss games over dumb stuff like that.

I meant Hollywood!
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
reddyplayerone
Junior

Post#36 » by reddyplayerone » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:54 pm

Sofia wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
Sofia wrote:

I meant Hollywood!

Is this what this thread is about? You just being loud and wrong and weird?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,037

Post#37 » by Apz » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:50 am

reddyplayerone wrote:
Sofia wrote:

Wait what? Think u mean in the US not the world. LA isnt that big. Its 12m in metro area. Dont think its even top 10. Actually looked it up, 23rd on population. Tokyo is 1st, 37m, twice as many as NY that is 11th.
reddyplayerone
Junior

Post#38 » by reddyplayerone » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:53 am

Apz wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
Sofia wrote:

Wait what? Think u mean in the US not the world. LA isnt that big. Its 12m in metro area. Dont think its even top 10. Actually looked it up, 23rd on population. Tokyo is 1st, 37m, twice as many as NY that is 11th.

23rd is still pretty big.

Would it make it more ok to insult the entire city if it was smaller?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,123

Post#39 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:57 am

Duke4life831 wrote:You can basically pencil in Kyrie as 25+ppg and flirting with 50/40/90 every season. His TS% would be ridiculous if he ever started to bait for fouls. Which is the thing I find most enjoyable about his game, he doesnt foul hunt, he just contorts himself and uses crazy english for amazing finishes.

Dallas for sure is a team to watch out for in the playoffs. They got 2 straight up unguardable guys in Luke and Kyrie. They also dont have to rely on a Maxi/Powell rotation at the 5. Now they have Gafford and Lively taking up minutes at the 5.

That is a team that you dont want to face in the playoffs this year.

I know why the NBA wrote the rulebook the way they did. It really does make offensive explosions easy which is what fans want according to the data. But one they missed is fans greatly prefer watching players get points the way Kyrie does then the endless foul baiting.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#40 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:18 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:You can basically pencil in Kyrie as 25+ppg and flirting with 50/40/90 every season. His TS% would be ridiculous if he ever started to bait for fouls. Which is the thing I find most enjoyable about his game, he doesnt foul hunt, he just contorts himself and uses crazy english for amazing finishes.

Dallas for sure is a team to watch out for in the playoffs. They got 2 straight up unguardable guys in Luke and Kyrie. They also dont have to rely on a Maxi/Powell rotation at the 5. Now they have Gafford and Lively taking up minutes at the 5.

That is a team that you dont want to face in the playoffs this year.

I know why the NBA wrote the rulebook the way they did. It really does make offensive explosions easy which is what fans want according to the data. But one they missed is fans greatly prefer watching players get points the way Kyrie does then the endless foul baiting.

Yup. It also kills any argument of, "these guys are just so skilled, defenders have to foul because they get beat." Kyrie is as skilled as they come and the dude has a FTr of just .190 so far this season.

And thats the funny thing about Kyrie, I think the best part about his game is probably the biggest negative about his game when it comes to advanced stats. What does Kyrie's numbers look like if he's getting 7-9 FTs per game, instead of just 3? He probably goes from a 25ppg guy with a TS% around 59-60, to a 30ppg guy with a TS% in the mid 60s. Im sure that would give him a nice boost in some of these metrics.

Just from an impact standpoint he should probably play like that. But ya as a fan, I love that he doesnt.

Return to The General Board