During Tyrese Haliburton's HoF speech, will we look at the Kings trade as one of the biggest blunders of all time?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Will we look at the Kings trade as one of the biggest blunders of all time?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 168

xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,732

Re: During Tyrese Haliburton's HoF speech, will we look at the Kings trade as one of the biggest blunders of all time? 

Post#21 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:17 pm

DLoMor wrote:Kings won the trade, they got to the playoffs before Pacers did.

Do you actually believe this?

I’ve seen people make this post before, and it’s just ignoring a MASSIVE amount of context and logic.
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 546

Re: During Tyrese Haliburton's HoF speech, will we look at the Kings trade as one of the biggest blunders of all time? 

Post#22 » by DrModesty » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm

Haliburton hasn't actually proven himself a better player than Sabonis yet, though most of us expect him to do so sooner or later. He also isn't yet conclusively better than Fox, although I lean that he probably is.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,025

Post#23 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:32 pm

Strange post since this is the best Kings team in about 20 years. I think they're a legit threat to get to the WCF.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 648

Post#24 » by DLoMor » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:33 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

I’ve seen people make this post before, and it’s just ignoring a MASSIVE amount of context and logic.

Have you seen how much the Kings have improved? The pacers have also improved but the Kings have done much better.
davidv2001
Sophomore
And1: 129

Post#25 » by davidv2001 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 pm

I’d rather imagine what this board would look like if posters didn’t start silly threads like this.

Domantas Sabonis and DeAaron Fox fit well together in Sacramento and Halliburton is doing a great job of running the show in Indiana. Both teams got better from the trade, which is exactly what you hope to achieve when making a deal.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,979

Post#26 » by stillgotgame » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:49 pm

DaGawd wrote:tyrese haliburton last night:

9 points 7 assist 2/11 from the field and a loss to the raptors.. odd timing for this thread

He was actually much worse than his stats indicate. Zero energy or effort, you could see the Pacer's intensity drop when he came back into the game in the 4th quarter.
Couldn't cover Dick either.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#27 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:57 pm

DLoMor wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

Have you seen how much the Kings have improved? The pacers have also improved but the Kings have done much better.

The Kings made that trade to get better immediately. The Pacers made that trade to start a rebuild. Using what they did the first season after as the barometer to judge the trade doesn’t make sense at all.

If a team trades and All-Star for a future pick, then the team that gets the All-Star gets immediately better, but eventually that pick ends up being a generational talent, did the team who got the generational talent lose the trade because they didn’t have more wins the first year after making it? It’s just a silly argument to me.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,875

Post#28 » by jkvonny » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:58 pm

Godymas wrote:
leolozon wrote:If I was a King’s fan, not drafting Doncic would bother me more.

it's just a clear reminder that even though the Kings are winning now, they're still losing

Kinda same for Dallas?
Mavs aint winning a championship anytime soon.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,788

Post#29 » by BoogieTime » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:59 pm

As a Kings fan, this stuff is getting old, even older than the Doncic stuff.......

really old.

Why are we picking apart the Kings like this for acquiring a fitting all nba player for him instead of the teams that let him fall to 12?
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 485

Post#30 » by granger05 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm

I'm a Pacer fan and love Haliburton, but I really enjoyed Sabonis as well. He got jobbed not making the All Star team this year and I'm sure the Kings fans are enjoying having a playoff team again. I was on basketball reference for something the other day and noticed that Sabonis leads the league in rebounds while Haliburton leads in assists. I thought that was an interesting tidbit that these guys were swapped for each other when they're both good players that have wildly different strengths (not that Sabonis isn't a good passer in his own right).

I think every Pacer fan is happy with this deal. Kings fans may be more split, but it's nowhere near a blunder and certainly not "one of the biggest blunders of all time."
jkvonny
Head Coach

Post#31 » by jkvonny » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:01 pm

BoogieTime wrote:As a Kings fan, this stuff is getting old, even older than the Doncic stuff.......

really old.

Why are we picking apart the Kings like this for acquiring a fitting all nba player for him instead of the teams that let him fall to 12?

Agreed. This comes up a lot especially here in this forum.
Its like a dik measuring contest for some of these folks.

It's win win for all teams involved.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#32 » by BoogieTime » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:09 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
DLoMor wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:Do you actually believe this?

The Kings made that trade to get better immediately. The Pacers made that trade to start a rebuild. Using what they did the first season after as the barometer to judge the trade doesn’t make sense at all.

If a team trades and All-Star for a future pick, then the team that gets the All-Star gets immediately better, but eventually that pick ends up being a generational talent, did the team who got the generational talent lose the trade because they didn’t have more wins the first year after making it? It’s just a silly argument to me.

so far.....

Since the trade Domas has made more of an impact.

Anything can happen going forward, injuries, career stagnation, whatever

It may not mean the Pacers haven't won the trade or accomplished their trade goals, but maybe we can wait before Tyrese on the court provides more before we say it was a huge blunder.
jkvonny
Head Coach

Post#33 » by jkvonny » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:10 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
leolozon wrote:If I was a King’s fan, not drafting Doncic would bother me more.

Thank you, Sabonis is pretty good and they're a playoff team. They passed up Luka for Marvin Bagley III who's on his third team already.

Suns also passed up on Luka. Could have had Booker/Luka, and maybe someone else joins them dunno if it would be KD or not. They drafted Ayton who's also no longer a Sun.

And they are all playoff teams last few years.

How is one team more advantaged than the others?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,249

Post#34 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:13 pm

Many bad trades occur every season. I think the true hallmark of a legendarily bad trade is trading a guy who then becomes the key piece to a multiple championship team.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#35 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:15 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
DLoMor wrote:Have you seen how much the Kings have improved? The pacers have also improved but the Kings have done much better.

so far.....

It may not mean the Pacers haven't won the trade or accomplished their trade goals, but maybe we can wait before Tyrese on the court provides more before we say it was a huge blunder.

Domas has not made more of an impact, he was simply on a better team.

Also, Haliburton is now a two time All-Star in his two full seasons in Indiana, including a starter in the All-Star game.

The Pacers were also on track to finish 5th last season in the East before Haliburton got injured and they decided to tank. Having THAT team 5th in the standings is wild when you see he was playing with rookies and career role players. The impact is absolutely there.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,495

Post#36 » by ImSlower » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:16 pm

Godymas has achieved KarateDiop's thread creation level. I see the title and immediately recognize who came up with it.

Anyway let's pump the brakes. I wanted the Bulls to pick Hali or better yet trade down and take him a few picks later but of course didn't, and several other teams whiffed as well. He's great. Let's get the Pacers deep into the playoffs a couple times before this absurd thread.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#37 » by BoogieTime » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:19 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:The Kings made that trade to get better immediately. The Pacers made that trade to start a rebuild. Using what they did the first season after as the barometer to judge the trade doesn’t make sense at all.

so far.....

Also, Haliburton is now a two time All-Star in his two full seasons in Indiana, including a starter in the All-Star game.

The Pacers were also on track to finish 5th last season in the East before Haliburton got injured and they decided to tank. Having THAT team 5th in the standings is wild when you see he was playing with rookies and career role players. The impact is absolutely there.

What would the Pacers be this year in the west and playing western teams?

Domas has made more of an impact on the court until now, two seasons in.

We can say its due to injuries, but maybe Tyrese is more injury prone than Domas, which could affect how the trade is looked at down the road. Who knows.

But we need to wait until Tyrese actually provides more value on the court before calling it a huge misstep
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#38 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:26 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
so far.....

What would the Pacers be this year in the west and playing western teams?

Domas has made more of an impact on the court until now, two seasons in.

We can say its due to injuries, but maybe Tyrese is more injury prone than Domas, which could affect how the trade is looked at down the road. Who knows.

But we need to wait until Tyrese actually provides more value on the court before calling it a huge misstep

I mean, bringing up his injury history is fair, I understand that.

Saying he needs to provide more value while playing is ignorant though. I can’t even see a reasonable debate to argue he doesn’t provide an absurd amount of value.

Take a poll of which player people would rather have, and the poll would be insanely one sided in Haliburton’s favor. If you prefer Domas, that is fine too, but to argue Haliburton needs to provide more on court value is WILD.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,729

Post#39 » by SFour » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:31 pm

Not drafting Doncic was a much bigger blunder (especially since Vlade Divac was one of the guys in charge)....Bagley was a bust so they ended up empty handed

at least with the Hali trade they ended up with an allstar player in Sabonis that has made them a playoff team.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,182

Post#40 » by sca » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:39 pm

Dirk wrote:Here is the TL;DR

Tyrese Haliburton retired a legend in 2036, leading the Pacers to their first championship and becoming their undisputed greatest player. He won numerous individual accolades, surpassed Reggie Miller's 3-pointer record, and shattered the franchise assist record.

Meanwhile, a fascinating article details the trade that sent Paul George to the Clippers for Sabonis, who revitalized his career with the Kings. The Kings enjoyed playoff success under Sabonis, but ultimately fell short due to their defensive limitations and a lack of shooting. This mirrored the struggles of the Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum Blazers during the Warriors dynasty.

The article ends by praising Haliburton's transformative impact on the Pacers and his ascent to the upper echelon of all-time point guards. He led the USA to Olympic gold, defying expectations against a star-studded French team. This success stemmed from the Kings prioritizing De'Aaron Fox, unintentionally allowing the Pacers to acquire their franchise cornerstone in Haliburton. The trade, initially seen as a win for the Kings, ultimately propelled the Pacers to unexpected heights.

Here is the TL;DR of the TL;DR:

Tyrese Haliburton became a Pacers legend in 2036, leading them to their first championship with multiple records broken. A trade involving Paul George and Sabonis saw the latter revitalize his career with the Kings, who faced playoff challenges due to defensive weaknesses. Haliburton's impact on the Pacers was transformative, culminating in Olympic gold, partly due to the Kings prioritizing De'Aaron Fox, inadvertently benefiting the Pacers.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks

Return to The General Board