Make or break time: The Los Angeles Lakers

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

MrGoat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,634

Re: Make or break time: The Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#21 » by MrGoat » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:20 pm

Refs will makes sure they at least make the play in game and you probably won't want to play them in the play in game for the same reason, don't worry
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,905

Post#22 » by jkvonny » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:17 am

JRoy wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:I’m guaranteeing this now: They won’t get out of the play in.

It's a pretty obvious prediction.They're kind of locked into the 9 or 10 spot and any team that winds up there is more likely than not to be eliminated in the play-in.

Those zebras better get to work.

:lol:
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,984

Post#23 » by stillgotgame » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:38 am

JRoy wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:I’m guaranteeing this now: They won’t get out of the play in.

It's a pretty obvious prediction.They're kind of locked into the 9 or 10 spot and any team that winds up there is more likely than not to be eliminated in the play-in.

Yep. Refs really stepped up their game last year in the playoffs. Lakers went from leading the league in FT differential during the regular season of 5.8 more FT/game to 7.5 FT in the playoffs. Despite their blatant best effort in the Denver series it wasn't quite enough though. This year the Lakers again lead the league with 5.3 more FT/game. Going to take more than that to make it past the play-in. They need another imaginary foul shot creator like Reeves was last year. Maybe the media can help the zebras along.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,452

Post#24 » by Dr Aki » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:42 am

The Lakers have been skating by on good offense/hot shooting because their primary perimeter defenders are injured.

Ideally, they'd stop getting injured so often so the rotation can have a bit of consistency
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#25 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:45 am

I like how the laker haters are hedging themselves emotionally by saying if the ref will help. Typical.

I thought the OP was a reasonable take. They have also been pretty disabled with the Vando and Vincent barely playing. It's the lakers tho so none of their injuries count.
EVERYTHING being said now was said last year at this time and they broke golden states hearts. I'd much rather be in the 7-8 matchup to give margin of error.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 22,098

Post#26 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:13 am

stillgotgame wrote:
JRoy wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

Yep. Refs really stepped up their game last year in the playoffs. Lakers went from leading the league in FT differential during the regular season of 5.8 more FT/game to 7.5 FT in the playoffs. Despite their blatant best effort in the Denver series it wasn't quite enough though. This year the Lakers again lead the league with 5.3 more FT/game. Going to take more than that to make it past the play-in. They need another imaginary foul shot creator like Reeves was last year. Maybe the media can help the zebras along.

It’s worse than that. They went from +4 FTA per game up until Feb then went +11 FTA per game the rest of the season.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,984

Post#27 » by stillgotgame » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:22 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
JRoy wrote:

It’s worse than that. They went from +4 FTA per game up until Feb then went +11 FTA per game the rest of the season.

And shot the most free throws of any team last season while they're opponents shot the fewest of any team.
This year though the refs are outdoing themselves. While being last in drives to the basket the Lakers still lead the league in free throw attempts. Impressive work by the zebras.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/1/30/24055995/los-angeles-lakers-free-throw-advantage-stats-video-breakdown-explained
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,884

Post#28 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:26 am

stillgotgame wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

And shot the most free throws of any team last season while they're opponents shot the fewest of any team.
This year though the refs are outdoing themselves. While being last in drives to the basket the Lakers still lead the league in free throw attempts. Impressive work by the zebras.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/1/30/24055995/los-angeles-lakers-free-throw-advantage-stats-video-breakdown-explained

That's actually an illuminating article, thanks for sharing.

When I read the drives stat I thought there's no way. Even for NBA standards that would be too egregious.

But then it says Lakers still rank No. 2 in the NBA in rim frequency, top 5 in post ups and roll man finishes. So it does make more sense.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:35 am

EmpireFalls wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:

When I read the drives stat I thought there's no way. Even for NBA standards that would be too egregious.

But then it says Lakers still rank No. 2 in the NBA in rim frequency, top 5 in post ups and roll man finishes. So it does make more sense.
Nice box score analysis. What games did you watch? Also, which ones were unfairly officiated?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,201

Post#30 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:41 am

jkvonny wrote:
Goomba3666 wrote:AD can win them a few of these games, but he'll need help.

Ya, like 2 xtra wins....if he stays healthy. lol
Exactly. Some fans have so much confidence in AD that it's confusing to me..lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
EmpireFalls
Starter

Post#31 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:46 am

Marrrcuss wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

Nice box score analysis. What games did you watch? Also, which ones were unfairly officiated?

I think you read my post wrong guy.

Raptors one springs to mind most readily as being a monumental screwjob. I've seen prob 20 Laker games this year.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:15 am

EmpireFalls wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:That's actually an illuminating article, thanks for sharing.

I think you read my post wrong guy.

Raptors one springs to mind most readily as being a monumental screwjob. I've seen prob 20 Laker games this year.

Maybe i shouldnt have singled you out in particular. I just dont know why a team that does most of their scoring in the paint due to bad shooting wouldnt have more FTs. Their bad 3 point shooting is mentioned over and over again.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,905

Post#33 » by jkvonny » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:49 am

Marrrcuss wrote:I like how the laker haters are hedging themselves emotionally by saying if the ref will help. Typical.

I thought the OP was a reasonable take. They have also been pretty disabled with the Vando and Vincent barely playing. It's the lakers tho so none of their injuries count.
EVERYTHING being said now was said last year at this time and they broke golden states hearts. I'd much rather be in the 7-8 matchup to give margin of error.

Who's here is hatin on the Lakers?

Everyone here seems to giving objective takes.
EmpireFalls
Starter

Post#34 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:50 am

Safe to say the Lakers have given up and are just resting up for the 9/10 play in game.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Marrrcuss » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:35 am

EmpireFalls wrote:Safe to say the Lakers have given up and are just resting up for the 9/10 play in game.

I appreciate you.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#36 » by Charlesareed » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:38 am

Still a tall hill to climb I picked the lakers to win tonight and tomorrow night we’ll see what they do on Saturday against the defending nba champions I still say lakers go 5-7 in this stretch of games even with home court advantage in all but 1 game
Chicago Raised me
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,296

Post#37 » by John Murdoch » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:12 am

Pelinka was fooled by that IST , no doubt he is slippery enough to already have that Trae Young deal already all but done in the offseason but it sucks we still have Darvin at this point for a franchise of this caliber . Feels like we are still trying to patch things together after the westbrook trade . My biggest gripe is we went away from what made the bubble team successfull witch was another defensive rebounding big NEXT to AD and two solid POA defenders in the backcourt . Def feels like a dissapointment only having 1 title in the LeBron era
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
dWadeOwnzYou
Rookie
And1: 593

Lakers vs Nuggets tonight. Its a make or break for the Lakers. 

Post#38 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Sat Mar 2, 2024 2:10 pm

This game is huge for the Lakers, that could either make or break them. They've shown some resilience in the last two game where they could've easily fold both game but they responded like champions thanks to Lebron and AD. I mean they beat the Clippers whome many of you considered the best out west.

The true test comes tonight. They could never gotten over the hump of beating Denver. Could they change that narrative tonight? If they happens to beat Denver, it will do wonders for the moral of the team and instill them with confidence that they belong amongst the elite. If they lose, its back to square one as their drive and championship aspirations is further questioned. Factor in that Denver is finally on a roll and that Golden State are also slowly findings their ways...this is the Lakers statement game of the year.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,592

Re: Lakers vs Nuggets tonight. Its a make or break for the Lakers. 

Post#39 » by The Master » Sat Mar 2, 2024 2:14 pm

Naah, it's a single game, even if they win they still won't be favorites to make it to the 5th or 6th seed with the schedule that they have.

It would be cute though to finally not get crushed by Nuggets.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,863

Re: Lakers vs Nuggets tonight. Its a make or break for the Lakers. 

Post#40 » by scrabbarista » Sat Mar 2, 2024 2:26 pm

It would be cute, for sure, but a healthy Denver is crushing LAL should they meet in the playoffs this season. No amount of positive morale is changing that.

Return to The General Board