Jason Kidd - WORST COACH in the League?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,356

Re: Jason Kidd - WORST COACH in the League? 

Post#21 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Watching those videos, I'm not blown away. In the first play, the strategy was to direct Mitchell to his right, then have the player guarding the corner shooter assist with Mitchell's drive, allowing the center to cover the 3-point shooter. However, Mitchell ends up taking a mid-range shot with a taller defender in front of him, which is considered one of the least effective shots in basketball. The better option, according to the video, would have been an open 3-pointer, because the center would never be fast enough to close out the 3-pointer.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,340

Post#22 » by Archx » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:39 pm

kingr wrote:If he didn't lose last night, the Mavs would have won 8 out of their last 10 games. He doesn't seem to be holding the team back THAT much right now. I don't watch the Mavs closely to have a valid opinion though lol.

Rick ran circles around Kidd the other day when Mavs played Pacers. Indiana attacked THJ anytime he was on the floor and Kidd didn't adjust. Pacers basically out-tempoed Mavs and played smart to their advantages, Mavs never adjusted just lazy effort.

Cavs tried to do the same. Once Mavs starting lineup started rolling in the 1st Q, Kidd did his usual annoying sub pattern with only 5 mins into the game and Cavs immediately started attacking THJ with Mitchell because Kidd took out Green and put THJ on Mitchell. Most of those 3s Strus made was because he was guarded by THJ and he wasn't aggressive enough.

It's small things like that which can change the entire course of games specially if it's on repeat. Opposing coaches figured it out, Mavs coaching staff still didn't.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,756

Post#23 » by kingr » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:02 pm

Archx wrote:
kingr wrote:If he didn't lose last night, the Mavs would have won 8 out of their last 10 games. He doesn't seem to be holding the team back THAT much right now. I don't watch the Mavs closely to have a valid opinion though lol.

Rick ran circles around Kidd the other day when Mavs played Pacers. Indiana attacked THJ anytime he was on the floor and Kidd didn't adjust. Pacers basically out-tempoed Mavs and played smart to their advantages, Mavs never adjusted just lazy effort.

Cavs tried to do the same. Once Mavs starting lineup started rolling in the 1st Q, Kidd did his usual annoying sub pattern with only 5 mins into the game and Cavs immediately started attacking THJ with Mitchell because Kidd took out Green and put THJ on Mitchell. Most of those 3s Strus made was because he was guarded by THJ and he wasn't aggressive enough.

It's small things like that which can change the entire course of games specially if it's on repeat. Opposing coaches figured it out, Mavs coaching staff still didn't.

I understand what you're saying. A few things..

Rick is one of the better coaches in the NBA though, so I'm sure he can out coach many coaches.
Also almost every team if not every team has weak links that get put on the floor. THJ was a +10 last night. So if guys are hunting him and the team is still a +10 with him out there, does that make kidd the worst coach in the league for having him out on the floor?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,340

Post#24 » by Archx » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:10 pm

kingr wrote:THJ was a +10 last night. So if guys are hunting him and the team is still a +10 with him out there, does that make kidd the worst coach in the league for having him out on the floor?

Absolutely yes.

+/- is not an individual stat but it's a combination of lineups/players you're on the floor with at any given time. THJ minutes are usually staggered with Doncic (who was also +13 in a 2pt loss). THJ had some decent plays on defense but that's not why he's suppose to be in the game anyway. Mavs fans want THJ gone, like banished to the shadow realm, dude simply has horrible bball IQ and can't do anything good other than being a spot up shooter.

I obviously over simplified things in my quote to you but i just wanted to kinda point out how terrible Kidd is. He doesn't have offensive set plays, when Luka is off the floor, Kyrie plays 1v5. I could literally write 2 pages here but to anyone who watches Mavs on a regular basis, it's more than clear this guy shouldn't be a head coach. Great at managing personalities but horrible at X and O's.

Speaking about +/- with THJ in and out of the lineup. This will paint a more clear picture for you. These are the stats up to Pacers game.

Read on Twitter
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,880

Post#25 » by Beethoven » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:15 pm

At least he's trying. He's thinking of (albeit not great thinking) things to try to win games like the bump where he spilled the cup of ice.
Better than coaches like Nash who don't do anything at all.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,339

Post#26 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:27 pm

This "Awful Coaching" guy is very angry.
Willie Colon
Starter
And1: 1,151

Post#27 » by Willie Colon » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:28 pm

Now that Adrian Griffith is out, the answer is yes. If GM's did their homework, Kidd would never be hired to be HC at any level.

Someone mentioned Monty Williams being worse; I don't agree. Monty at least is a respectful, stand up guy.

Kidd, on top of being a stubborn idiot as a coach, is a sociopath with a disturbing history both in and out of the locker room. It boggles my mind that he's still getting HC opportunities.
We have Giannis Antetokounmpo and you don't. :naaa:
davidv2001
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#28 » by davidv2001 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:54 pm

BadWolf wrote:Gafford is takrn advantage of on defense.

If the Mavericks acquired Gafford to have him switch on smaller perimeter defenders frequently, they should have never acquired him. If the Mavericks thought Maxi Kleber was a better option, they should have never given up a first-round pick for Gafford.

Gafford is not an elite defender, but he’s at his best protecting the rim in drop coverage like the Bucks do with Brook Lopez. The vast majority of power forwards and centers in the NBA cannot stay in front of quick guards on the perimeter. Consistently expecting them to do so is a recipe for defensive breakdowns.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,659

Post#29 » by JRoy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:18 pm

Willie Colon wrote:Now that Adrian Griffith is out, the answer is yes. If GM's did their homework, Kidd would never be hired to be HC at any level.

Someone mentioned Monty Williams being worse; I don't agree. Monty at least is a respectful, stand up guy.

Kidd, on top of being a stubborn idiot as a coach, is a sociopath with a disturbing history both in and out of the locker room. It boggles my mind that he's still getting HC opportunities.

Kidd may be a bad coach but he’s not Billups bad.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,281

Post#30 » by UcanUwill » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:20 pm

I do not like hating on coaches, cause what do I know, I think they know something, but we have active coach who started Killian Hayes for 31 games this year, played him 24 minutes per game, was opening and closing games with Killian Hayes, and his team went on 29 game losing streak...

Killian Hayes was waived a while ago and he is still a FA. he is 22 years of age, and nobody wants him somehow, so I am just saying. We have seen more unjustifiable blunders this season alone.
fast+forward
Junior
And1: 311

Post#31 » by fast+forward » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:06 pm

Mavs lost a game on a half court heave. What’s with the overreaction?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,993

Post#32 » by JasonStern » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:Jason Kidd - WORST COACH in the League?

Did Chauncey Billups get fired?
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,691

Post#33 » by MavsDirk41 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:51 pm

fast+forward wrote:Mavs lost a game on a half court heave. What’s with the overreaction?

His player rotations are a problem from what i see
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,117

Post#34 » by Special_Puppy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:53 pm

Worst coach in the league is 100% Chauncey Billups
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#35 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:59 pm

Mavrelous wrote:He's a bad coach, mainly offensively, but this game wasn't his fault, sometimes it's just bad luck and bad officiating.

Played Maxi Kieber 27 minutes and Daniel Gafford 7.
Played THJ 26 minutes and Jaden Hardy only 5.

I'm sure part of the logic with Maxi might have been that he could get out and guard the 3 but the Cavs finished 7-7 from 3.

I partially blame Nico for THJ though, he should have gotten rid of him for a candy bar at the TDL taking that toy away from baby Kidd.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:05 pm

fast+forward wrote:Mavs lost a game on a half court heave. What’s with the overreaction?

Wasted a 45 point game from Luka and 30 from Kyrie. It should have been a blow out if he played Gafford more and Maxi less IMO.

I'm afraid Gafford is not going to have a role with the Mavs going forward already. 7 minutes really? He's a pretty good player. He's an 11 ppg 8 rebounds guy where Maxi is a 5 and 5 guy. They just traded for him it's a joke. Mavs have this weird thing where they try to stay loyal to players who have been there a long time but aren't good: Powell, THJ, Maxi.

Waste of space THJ getting nearly 30 minutes a game is a fireable offense. He does one thing good hit 3s. When he's not doing that he is useless.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,301

Post#37 » by Lalouie » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:10 pm

he's average

get a better FO
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:13 pm

Lalouie wrote:he's average

get a better FO

They've completely overhauled the FO in the last two years. Cuban is not even really the owner anymore, Nico is the GM instead of Donnie Nelson. They've completely overhauled the roster in the last 12 months too. Kidd just plays the wrong guys and can't run an offense he needs to go.

Luka needs to say it's him or me, but it's probably not his personality.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:16 pm

Archx wrote:
kingr wrote:THJ was a +10 last night. So if guys are hunting him and the team is still a +10 with him out there, does that make kidd the worst coach in the league for having him out on the floor?

Absolutely yes.

+/- is not an individual stat but it's a combination of lineups/players you're on the floor with at any given time. THJ minutes are usually staggered with Doncic (who was also +13 in a 2pt loss). THJ had some decent plays on defense but that's not why he's suppose to be in the game anyway. Mavs fans want THJ gone, like banished to the shadow realm, dude simply has horrible bball IQ and can't do anything good other than being a spot up shooter.

I obviously over simplified things in my quote to you but i just wanted to kinda point out how terrible Kidd is. He doesn't have offensive set plays, when Luka is off the floor, Kyrie plays 1v5. I could literally write 2 pages here but to anyone who watches Mavs on a regular basis, it's more than clear this guy shouldn't be a head coach. Great at managing personalities but horrible at X and O's.

Speaking about +/- with THJ in and out of the lineup. This will paint a more clear picture for you. These are the stats up to Pacers game.

Read on Twitter

This is pathetic, and Tim Hardaway Sr. just bashed Luka recently to boot. It's mindblowing he's still on the roster and getting as many minutes as several starters.
MrGoat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,638

Post#40 » by MrGoat » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:30 pm

As hesitant as I am to defend Kidd, it was the referees who cost them that game. If that game was reffed fairly it never would have come down to that (same referee who did the Pistons Knicks fiasco the other night, incidentally)

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board