Is Chet Holmgren better than Evan Mobley?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Which statement is true?

Chet is better and will be better in their primes.
82%
Chet is better, but Evan will be better in their primes.
2%
Evan is better and will be better in their primes.
2%
Evan is bettet, but Chet will be better in their primes.
4%
Both about the same and will be about the same in their primes.
3%
Both are about the same., but Chet will be better.
6%
Both are about thevsame, but Evan will be better.
2%

Total votes: 133

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,125

Re: Is Chet Holmgren better than Evan Mobley? 

Post#21 » by tmorgan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:00 pm

Mobley is better defensively, but given that he has more experience, that may not last. He’s also a better rebounder, especially considering who he plays with compared to Chet.

Chet’s an entirely different class of offensive player, though. Some on ball creation which should improve further, a better shot and better range.

I’d take Chet slightly right now, and more than slightly for the future, with the caveat that Mobley is just slightly thin and Chet is a toothpick. There’s a bigger injury risk there.

Put it this way — Cleveland would be all over that exchange, and OKC would have no interest at all.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,105

Post#22 » by Shock Defeat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Mobley hasn't improved but there's no guarantee Chet will either
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#23 » by toooskies » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:15 pm

Mobley's progress over the past few years is only slow if you look at the headline numbers. His scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, FG%, 3PFG%, FT%, TS% have all made good progress year-over-year. But because he was injured a few times, his minute restrictions causes his totals to drop slightly. He's made some progress on his shooting to the point where his percentages were good but the volume needs to take some steps to be "real".
Swish77
Junior
And1: 91

Post#24 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:20 pm

Chet by far. I believe Mobley is on the wrong team tbh. He needs to be on a team where he's the main guy center wise. Just like Chet is.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 897

Post#25 » by Niko23 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:27 pm

Plutonashfan wrote:
God Squad wrote:Mobley's lack of development is concerning, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

I blame it on our terrible coaching staff.

Its probably why JB is gone, regardless if we sneak out of the first round because we will get swept by Boston. Mobley has no strength and plays scared. Really sad that we screwed him up
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#26 » by Alatan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:30 pm

Why is this even a question? Are there people that have doubts about this?
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 984

Post#27 » by liquidswords » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:36 pm

lol 100% - mobley is the same player he was when he was drafted and Chet is already better
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,412

Post#28 » by Iwasawitness » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm

Mobley is better defensively, but Chet is so much better offensively to the point where Mobley doesn't really have an argument over him, despite Chet still technically being a rookie.

But what really gets me is that despite the fact that Chet is much skinnier and more fragile looking than Chet, it still feels like Chet plays a more physical style. Chet also feels much more in tune and control over his mechanics. I never feel like he's stumbling around or anything when he's got the ball. When Mobley has it I'm legitimately worried he's going to lose it.

I don't really know who will be the better player going forward. I still believe (not that I want it to come to fruition) that unless Chet seriously bulks up over the next few years, he is going to suffer from a multitude of health problems from trying to play in the NBA at the rate that he does. We've already seen a bit of that with Evan so far in his NBA career and I'm hoping that it improves.

liquidswords wrote:lol 100% - mobley is the same player he was when he was drafted and Chet is already better

Let's stop with this horrible take already. I've seen so many people say it and I don't understand why. It simply isn't true.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,155

Post#29 » by iggymcfrack » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm

Well this is pretty unanimous. As it should be considering Chet is borderline all-NBA as a rookie and Mobley is borderline looking like he should come off the bench in Year 3.
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,757

Post#30 » by Bornstellar » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:44 pm

I'd take Chet over Mobley every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He has already had similar defensive impact while flashing way more of a higher ceiling on offense
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,147

Post#31 » by Plutonashfan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:46 pm

Niko23 wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
God Squad wrote:Mobley's lack of development is concerning, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

I blame it on our terrible coaching staff.

Its probably why JB is gone, regardless if we sneak out of the first round because we will get swept by Boston. Mobley has no strength and plays scared. Really sad that we screwed him up

It's not only him look at DG and Okoro they all regressed.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,351

Post#32 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:51 pm

wow never expected to see those votes. I don't think I would do a Chet/Mobley swap right now but I still like Mobley's chances to become the better player. Mobley would have a bigger impact if he was Thunder Center...his lack of shooting is the issue though
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,842

Post#33 » by Ayt » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:35 am

Shock Defeat wrote:Mobley hasn't improved but there's no guarantee Chet will either

So Chet is better now and in the future.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,412

Post#34 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:40 am

Plutonashfan wrote:
Niko23 wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:I blame it on our terrible coaching staff.

It's not only him look at DG and Okoro they all regressed.

Okoro regressed? Okoro.

I don't think you know what kind of player Okoro was just a few years ago.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 2,136

Post#35 » by Blazing_royale » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:48 am

I remember not long ago Mobley was regarded a generational defender a la Tim Duncan
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,764

Post#36 » by srhcan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:49 am

omerome wrote:Chet and it isn't close.

Mobley came into the league and was supposed to be a Duncan'esque player and the only thing they really have in common is they're both tall.

I dont know when Mobley lost his mojo but he is not the same player anymore. Both Barnes and Sengun have sprinted ahead of him and both of them were drafted after Mobley
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,764

Post#37 » by srhcan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:51 am

omerome wrote:Chet and it isn't close.

Mobley came into the league and was supposed to be a Duncan'esque player and the only thing they really have in common is they're both tall.

I think if Mobley was drafted by Raptors, he would have been much better player today. Masai tried his best to trade up and get Mobley on draft night.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#38 » by RoyceDa59 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:51 am

Chet for sure.
Go Raps!!
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,590

Post#39 » by GSP » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 am

Alot of the Cavs best lineups this season were with Wade instead of Mobley. They played better with Wade and w/o Mobley at the 4.

Mobley might be the better defender for now but Chet is already miles ahead offensively and there is no indication Mobley will be or ever had the offensive skillset to be much better than he is now while Chet still has plenty to grow. This isnt close Chet has white Ad potential Mobley best case scenario if everything works right is Bam lol
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,893

Post#40 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:14 am

GSP wrote:Alot of the Cavs best lineups this season were with Wade instead of Mobley. They played better with Wade and w/o Mobley at the 4.

Mobley might be the better defender for now but Chet is already miles ahead offensively and there is no indication Mobley will be or ever had the offensive skillset to be much better than he is now while Chet still has plenty to grow. This isnt close Chet has white Ad potential Mobley best case scenario if everything works right is Bam lol

Mobley averaged 15.7ppg (fourth highest scorer) and Chet averaged 16.5ppg (third highest scorer).
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to The General Board