Is Jamal Murray the most overrated player in the league?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

TinmanZBoy
General Manager
And1: 4,850

Re: Is Jamal Murray the most overrated player in the league? 

Post#21 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue May 7, 2024 5:59 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Denver got the good side of the coin flip with Murray last year and are getting the bad side this year.

This is the downside of relying on Murray being your #2 come playoff time. First of all “playoff Murray” was very inconsistent to begin with. But relying on a non all star to step up his game to legit championship level #2 in the playoffs year in and year out, is just not a gamble I would roll with.

He’s a non all star player playing below his regular season norm these playoffs. Don’t know if Jokic is finally showing fatigue of having to carry this team all season and playoffs long for multiple years. Or he’s just checking out because he’s getting frustrated from it. But if I was Denver, I’d really be questioning if I wanted to roll with Murray as my #2 going forward.

yeah, from Joker's post game interview, you can tell he is not happy with Jamal who lost his composure ...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,361

Post#22 » by CobraCommander » Tue May 7, 2024 6:07 am

Player hurt playing on a bad knee - just buried two of the most cold blooded game winners in the history of the universe and he overrated ?

A champion too!

Man someone needs to never allow someone else to start a thread lol
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,548

Post#23 » by BigGargamel » Tue May 7, 2024 6:10 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:Hyperbole much?

Yes. Par for the course with RealGM.

Plus he's hurt.

Let's forget years of playoff success. He's struggled for 6 games coming off a late season injury.

I don't get this board. I wonder if posters are this knee-jerk with their real life decisions. I hope not. :lol:
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,403

Post#24 » by SpreeS » Tue May 7, 2024 6:18 am

Everyone is overrated in NBA....
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,434

Post#25 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue May 7, 2024 6:24 am

Laker fans, we eating good tonight. Just need some MPJ slander for dessert.
Sidthekid87
Sixth Man
And1: 3,007

Post#26 » by Sidthekid87 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:39 am

He's a shot happy one dimensional scoring guard who's really good in the clutch. Jokic being an all time player makes him look like more than that sometimes, but that's what he is.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,568

Post#27 » by MrGoat » Tue May 7, 2024 7:21 am

This thread was already predicted, and it wasn't even enough of a wait until they were actually eliminated

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2371328&p=112376519
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,016

Post#28 » by Special_Puppy » Tue May 7, 2024 7:33 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Denver got the good side of the coin flip with Murray last year and are getting the bad side this year.

This is the downside of relying on Murray being your #2 come playoff time. First of all “playoff Murray” was very inconsistent to begin with. But relying on a non all star to step up his game to legit championship level #2 in the playoffs year in and year out, is just not a gamble I would roll with.

He’s a non all star player playing below his regular season norm these playoffs. Don’t know if Jokic is finally showing fatigue of having to carry this team all season and playoffs long for multiple years. Or he’s just checking out because he’s getting frustrated from it. But if I was Denver, I’d really be questioning if I wanted to roll with Murray as my #2 going forward.

He’s been hurt or bad for 3 out of 4 of the last playoffs. How many guards could replace Murray and do about the same or better? 10+? 15+?
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,016

Post#29 » by Special_Puppy » Tue May 7, 2024 7:35 am

MrGoat wrote:This thread was already predicted, and it wasn't even enough of a wait until they were actually eliminated

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2371328&p=112376519

I remember that thread too (and to be Clear Jokic should get massive blame for his performance this series too), but not only is Murray not playing like a hall of famer he’s just been straight up awful the entire post season
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 611

Post#30 » by MMyhre » Tue May 7, 2024 8:53 am

LakerLegend wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:He is a guy who frequently cycles between being overrated and underrated. He is what he is. He isn't tall enough or athletic enough to be a truly elite scorer, but he has good scoring instincts to be a 2nd option and get to his spots and shots in the right matchup. He is also streaky, so that contributes to those perception cycles.

Minnesota is just a tyrant defensively and Murray is probably a little bit hurt so things aren't going well.

He's pretty athletic.

This is the problem, he WAS athletic, but he can`t respect his body enough to back off from balling too hard and doing the gym and rehab work required to get back to or even improve this level of athleticism. Murray 2020 and even 2023 (even if I prefer 2020 athleticism) are going to be underrated all time if he never gets back his body to the shape and strength/mobility he needs to perform at his best.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,566

Post#31 » by PhilBlackson » Tue May 7, 2024 9:56 am

You do realize he’s clearly playing hurt right?
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,403

Post#32 » by SpreeS » Tue May 7, 2024 10:06 am

Jokic n Murray career in PO

Jokic/Murray in +4.92nrtg
Jokic in Murray out -8.17nrtg
Jokic out Murray in +0.18nrtg

I dont care if he overrated or not, but w/o him Jokic can't do nothing in PO.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,677

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 7, 2024 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,556

Post#34 » by dygaction » Tue May 7, 2024 6:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wanna switch Murray?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,123

Post#35 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 7, 2024 6:04 pm

This isn't a perfect parallel but there was a large stretch where Dallas rolled with Jason Terry as Dirk's # 2 for much of his prime. And yeah it was kind of similar. Terry would have good moments where it looked reasonably and then he would completely crap the bed for a series.
BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,849

Post#36 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Tue May 7, 2024 6:05 pm

LakerLegend wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:He is a guy who frequently cycles between being overrated and underrated. He is what he is. He isn't tall enough or athletic enough to be a truly elite scorer, but he has good scoring instincts to be a 2nd option and get to his spots and shots in the right matchup. He is also streaky, so that contributes to those perception cycles.

Minnesota is just a tyrant defensively and Murray is probably a little bit hurt so things aren't going well.

He's pretty athletic.

Not really, he needs a clear runway.
hauntedcomputer wrote:Jokic is just a stranger dribbling a basketball. The humility bit could well be a carefully crafted business model for all we know. It's actually getting as tiresome as egotistical bloviating at this point. "Look at me, look how humble I am!!"
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,968

Post#37 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:10 pm

For those who want to claim he's an all nba level player, yes. Otherwise I think most people realize he's a really good but streaker player who's near allstar level but maybe not one.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#38 » by Tron Carter » Tue May 7, 2024 6:11 pm

Tyrese Haliburton literally exists.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,475

Post#39 » by Dubnation » Tue May 7, 2024 6:12 pm

jack612 wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:Isn't he injured?

Should’ve held onto his heat pack in that case

He was done with heat. It was ice time. :lol:
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,083

Post#40 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 7, 2024 6:15 pm

SpreeS wrote:Jokic n Murray career in PO

Jokic/Murray in +4.92nrtg
Jokic in Murray out -8.17nrtg
Jokic out Murray in +0.18nrtg

I dont care if he overrated or not, but w/o him Jokic can't do nothing in PO.

Did you count in Jokic in Murray out also MPJ out at the same time? Can you find Murray in, no Jokic AND MPJ?

Return to The General Board