Is Derrick White a max player?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Is Derrick White a max player?

Yes.
22%
No.
78%

Total votes: 140

CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,576

Re: Is Derrick White a max player? 

Post#21 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu May 9, 2024 5:58 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Hopefully the Sixers throw everything at him. Would be a great play to make your direct competitor weaker while drastically improving your team.

He'd actually be a great fit next to Embiid and Maxey.
But he still has another year left on his contract. Don't see Morey holding onto that cap space for a whole season.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,001

Post#22 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:59 pm

Very good player, but I think more of a 25m a year player.

4 years 100m is a good deal for him.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,471

Post#23 » by Tor_Raps » Thu May 9, 2024 6:01 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Hopefully the Sixers throw everything at him. Would be a great play to make your direct competitor weaker while drastically improving your team.

He'd actually be a great fit next to Embiid and Maxey.
But he still has another year left on his contract. Don't see Morey holding onto that cap space for a whole season.

Ah crap... I thought this thread meant he was a free agent :(
TheGeneral99
Veteran

Post#24 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:01 pm

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:I'm in belief that Derrick White is a late bloomer, much like Kyle Lowry, and will be even better next season. His recent shooting and overall quality of play, isn't even a one-time thing. He's been gradually becoming better every month. Is he a max player like, say KAT, is? I don't think so. But there are many games when he plays like one. He's not just a role player. He's a super role player, who can play at a star level at any given night. I think Derrick White is going to ask for the max, and I'm inclined to believe that the Celtics will give it to him. That's how important he is.

He's a championship winning-caliber starting guard. You need guards like that in your line-up, even if you have to overpay him.

blueNorange wrote:according to that celtic fan he's as good as brunson, so yes. :laugh:

PM me the Celtics fans who're saying that he's as good as Brunson. I'm confident that you won't be able to.

I haven't watched a ton of Celtics games this year so you can enlighten me, but my question is do you think White is benefitting from playing on a stacked roster alongside guys like Tatum, Brown, Jrue, Porzingis etc.? If you are saying he's a max player could he be a legit #1 or #2 option on a decent team?

I understand they are both late bloomers, but if you are comparing to Lowry, he was a guy that joined a bad team and elevated them into a perennial 50-60 team as the #1 or #2 option and most ball dominant player/floor general. His best teammate until 2019 was Derozan, who was never as good as current Tatum or Brown.

I am of the personal opinion that if Lowry played alongside prime Tatum AND Brown they would win multiple championships, that's how good prime Lowry was. Just a monster of a player.

Just my two cents, but I could be wrong.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,525

Post#25 » by blueNorange » Thu May 9, 2024 6:26 pm

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:PM me the Celtics fans who're saying that he's as good as Brunson. I'm confident that you won't be able to.

viewtopic.php?p=113025320#p113025320
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,873

Post#26 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu May 9, 2024 6:31 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
ThumbsUpBaby wrote:I'm in belief that Derrick White is a late bloomer, much like Kyle Lowry, and will be even better next season. His recent shooting and overall quality of play, isn't even a one-time thing. He's been gradually becoming better every month. Is he a max player like, say KAT, is? I don't think so. But there are many games when he plays like one. He's not just a role player. He's a super role player, who can play at a star level at any given night. I think Derrick White is going to ask for the max, and I'm inclined to believe that the Celtics will give it to him. That's how important he is.

He's a championship winning-caliber starting guard. You need guards like that in your line-up, even if you have to overpay him.

blueNorange wrote:according to that celtic fan he's as good as brunson, so yes. :laugh:

PM me the Celtics fans who're saying that he's as good as Brunson. I'm confident that you won't be able to.

I haven't watched a ton of Celtics games this year so you can enlighten me, but my question is do you think White is benefitting from playing on a stacked roster alongside guys like Tatum, Brown, Jrue, Porzingis etc.? If you are saying he's a max player could he be a legit #1 or #2 option on a decent team?

I understand they are both late bloomers, but if you are comparing to Lowry, he was a guy that joined a bad team and elevated them into a perennial 50-60 team as the #1 or #2 option and most ball dominant player/floor general. His best teammate until 2019 was Derozan, who was never as good as current Tatum or Brown.

I am of the personal opinion that if Lowry played alongside prime Tatum AND Brown they would win multiple championships, that's how good prime Lowry was. Just a monster of a player.

Yes he is definitely benefiting from the attention that our top 3 guys are getting. A lot of Celtics fans may disagree, but it is true that D White has the freedom to do what he's currently doing. With that said, he does really well as our lead guard, and does everything you want your lead guard to do. His defense alone makes him very valuable. His ability to control the offense is superior to the rest of our team outside of Tatum. I think he's well capable of being the #2 guy for a decent team. But for a championship level team, he's also capable of being the #3 guy and sometimes, the #2. That's with Porzingis on the team. This is why I wouldn't mind him getting paid the max.

I'll clarify my comment with him being a late bloomer like Lowry. I was speaking in a more general term. Now, do I think Derrick White can elevate a team like Lowry can? I don't. But he can elevate a contender to a championship level team. Lowry can as well, and I do believe that he can do a better job than Derrick if he was THE guy. IMO, Lowry's intangibles are better than Derrick's, which is what probably separates them both. With that said, Derrick is the better shooter, and I think that would be more compatible with our Jays than everything else that Lowry brings to the table.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,873

Post#27 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu May 9, 2024 6:34 pm

blueNorange wrote:
ThumbsUpBaby wrote:PM me the Celtics fans who're saying that he's as good as Brunson. I'm confident that you won't be able to.

viewtopic.php?p=113025320#p113025320

So just one person? I was expecting a list. There's even another Celtics fan there who's giving praises to Jalen Brunson :lol:
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,222

Post#28 » by kenwood3333 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:50 pm

So far he has a bigger winning impact than jrue holiday
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 990

Post#29 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:51 pm

Is Austin Reaves a max player
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,976

Post#30 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu May 9, 2024 6:57 pm

You don't get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate.
TheGeneral99
Veteran

Post#31 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu May 9, 2024 6:59 pm

ThumbsUpBaby wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:

Yes he is definitely benefiting from the attention that our top 3 guys are getting. A lot of Celtics fans may disagree, but it is true that D White has the freedom to do what he's currently doing. With that said, he does really well as our lead guard, and does everything you want your lead guard to do. His defense alone makes him very valuable. His ability to control the offense is superior to the rest of our team outside of Tatum. I think he's well capable of being the #2 guy for a decent team. But for a championship level team, he's also capable of being the #3 guy and sometimes, the #2. That's with Porzingis on the team. This is why I wouldn't mind him getting paid the max.

I'll clarify my comment with him being a late bloomer like Lowry. I was speaking in a more general term. Now, do I think Derrick White can elevate a team like Lowry can? I don't. But he can elevate a contender to a championship level team. Lowry can as well, and I do believe that he can do a better job than Derrick if he was THE guy. IMO, Lowry's intangibles are better than Derrick's, which is what probably separates them both. With that said, Derrick is the better shooter, and I think that would be more compatible with our Jays than everything else that Lowry brings to the table.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, makes a lot of sense.

Don't discount Lowry's shooting though! Dude could shoot 3s from anywhere on the court - off the dribble from either side, pull ups in transition, catch and shoot, coming off screens, from way deep near the logo and had very good footwork on a decent post-up game. Lowry took a ton of difficult 3s and hovered around 37-42% during his years in Toronto, which is actually better than White. It's no surprise that Lowry ranks 12th all-time in made 3s in NBA history. People don't give Lowry enough credit for how good of a shooter he was. I like White and he's a very good shooter, but he's not on Lowry's level in that department. Lowry was right there with Lillard and Kyrie with respect to 3 point shooting production between 2014-2020.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,727

Post#32 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:01 pm

He is close to deserving a max. If we look at his last 2 regular seasons and his playoff performance this year he is really solid all the way around and an elite defender that can play 3 positions. Rarely make a mistake.
He is in an interesting age though where he will be 31 at the start of his next contract. Does he deserve a 4 or 5 year max? I think that’s a bit high but he is at least worth 30- 35 million per year imo.
40 million seems a bit strong. Brown and Tatum get paid a lot more because there is still a lot of upside and they will be in their prime for the life of their contracts.
White is eligible for a 4/122 extension this summer. He could likely get more if he waits until free agency in 2025/26. But like I said he will be 31 then.

Celtics should pay him what it takes imo. I hope he signs the extension this summer but wouldn’t blame him a bit if he didn’t.
Sign here
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#33 » by basketballRob » Thu May 9, 2024 7:11 pm

Suggs had a near identical season that White had, and we're talking about an extension starting off at $20m for him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,205

Post#34 » by strokerace » Thu May 9, 2024 7:12 pm

Not max but highly desirable. Not a lot of teams have max money to spend anyway so I think he would receive a lot more interest. The buffalo plays hard on both ends of the floor for sure. I bet the Cs pay up.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,478

Post#35 » by itrsteve » Thu May 9, 2024 7:13 pm

Not sure if he's a "max" player but he's going to have all the leverage in world this summer.

Ownership has put their money with their mouth is and is paying everybody now that they're deep into the cap. Undoubtedly, D White is going to warrant a significant payday.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,475

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 9, 2024 7:14 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:It’s all a bit awkward as he’s a better player than Brown who will soon be making 50-60% less money. He’s the glue that holds the team together.

White hits me as a Robert Horry type player whose value goes up with the quality of his teammates, which is not common in the NBA. It isn't common because most NBA players learn to play basketball with the ball in their hands so struggle to transition to role player status.

Oh, I'd say the vast majority of NBA players need help to be productive whether that's someone getting them the ball in a good spot or covering for their weakness so they can play to their strengths.

For decades now, we've seen offenses run by combo guards or scoring points who are often looking to create for themselves first and foremost and maybe they share the possessions with a ball dominant wing and maybe those guys occasionally get doubled/triple teamed and pass it to someone else and expect that someone else to deliver typically without much rhythm.

But when you have a team like Boston which is doing a nice job sharing and moving the ball this season and enjoying a lot of success, I do expect role players on teams like that to start being thought of as stars and eventually becoming over-priced in their role.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#37 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:18 pm

LaLover11 wrote:Is Austin Reaves a max player

What does that have to do with anything? Are you comparing Reeves to White?
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#38 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:21 pm

itrsteve wrote:Not sure if he's a "max" player but he's going to have all the leverage in world this summer.

Ownership has put their money with their mouth is and is paying everybody now that they're deep into the cap. Undoubtedly, D White is going to warrant a significant payday.

This summer there is not much to discuss. He is eligible for a 4/122 extension and Boston will offer that. White says yes or no. If no then the following off season he is a free agent.
Sign here
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,129

Post#39 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 9, 2024 7:25 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
itrsteve wrote:Not sure if he's a "max" player but he's going to have all the leverage in world this summer.

This summer there is not much to discuss. He is eligible for a 4/122 extension and Boston will offer that. White says yes or no. If no then the following off season he is a free agent.

It is crazy how guys like Derrick White, who I like alot, now make as much as almost the top movie stars in the world. The NBA is popular but it isn't that popular. Due to tv deals, all of the sports league are able to get a lot of money from non-sports fans.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#40 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:28 pm

basketballRob wrote:Suggs had a near identical season that White had, and we're talking about an extension starting off at $20m for him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Near identical?
White was significantly stronger in every way.
Maybe slap up their stats side by side so I can understand “near identical”
Sign here

Return to The General Board