Breaking: Glen "Big Baby" Davis is sentenced to 3.5 years in prison

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,969

Re: Breaking: Glen "Big Baby" Davis is sentenced to 3.5 years in prison 

Post#21 » by HotelVitale » Thu May 9, 2024 7:44 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Wow, American justice system aint fooling around. I have said this, but my garbage place is the opposite, you can honestly kill a person and probably get less... I think the right system would be somewhere in between, and altho such harsh law enforcing is one concervative thing I prefer, but thats freaking harsh man, crazy.

A consistent finding in criminal justice research is that certainity of punishment does a better job stopping crime than severity of punishment.

The US is a high crime society because we do a terrible job solving crimes and try to make up for it by over-punishing people.

Yeah I work in criminal justice and this is very true. Politicians and enforcement folks always front on how 'strong'/tough they are by talking about sentencing and zero tolerance etc and never by how what they're doing, like, works. Part of the unfortunate fact that almost nothing about our system is set up to work or be the best idea. Politicians generally control every aspect of enforcement and prosecution policy and direction, and they generally have zero interest in what works and are instead 100% motivated by what reaction or attitude they think their voters want to hear. Crime's going up? I'm your savior and will hire more police now, don't care what they're actually doing or if they even have some idea of how they can address it. Crime's going down? Great job police or (for those on the left) whatever random community group is taking credit for the drop, don't care what the factors really are and how to continue them going in that direction. It's all just following the winds rather than trying to direct them.

EDIT: also if you think 3.5 years for a pretty significant long-term fraud scheme sounds excessive, Ucan, you wouldn't last ten minutes in the average US court.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,276

Post#22 » by Edrees » Thu May 9, 2024 7:47 pm

Wow, you can prosecute a baby to prison in the US? what's next?
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,476

Post#23 » by D.Brasco » Thu May 9, 2024 7:55 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Wow, American justice system aint fooling around. I have said this, but my garbage place is the opposite, you can honestly kill a person and probably get less... I think the right system would be somewhere in between, and altho such harsh law enforcing is one concervative thing I prefer, but thats freaking harsh man, crazy.

A consistent finding in criminal justice research is that certainity of punishment does a better job stopping crime than severity of punishment.

The US is a high crime society because we do a terrible job solving crimes and try to make up for it by over-punishing people.

Yeah I work in criminal justice and this is very true. Politicians and enforcement folks always front on how 'strong'/tough they are by talking about sentencing and zero tolerance etc and never by how what they're doing, like, works. Part of the unfortunate fact that almost nothing about our system is set up to work or be the best idea. Politicians generally control every aspect of enforcement and prosecution policy and direction, and they generally have zero interest in what works and are instead 100% motivated by what reaction or attitude they think their voters want to hear. Crime's going up? I'm your savior and will hire more police now, don't care what they're actually doing or if they even have some idea of how they can address it. Crime's going down? Great job police or (for those on the left) whatever random community group is taking credit for the drop, don't care what the factors really are and how to continue them going in that direction. It's all just following the winds rather than trying to direct them.

EDIT: also if you think 3.5 years for a pretty significant long-term fraud scheme sounds excessive, Ucan, you wouldn't last ten minutes in the average US court.

Sam "FTX" Bankman-Fried was sentenced to 25 years.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,342

Post#24 » by sfernald » Thu May 9, 2024 7:59 pm

Hopefully they get his pension too as penalty…
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,973

Post#25 » by tundraknight » Thu May 9, 2024 8:10 pm

This video will forever be legendary :lol:

Read on Twitter
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,840

Post#26 » by Swish1906 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:13 pm

And Rick Scott walked away rich and is now a senator :lol:

Never change, murica
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,969

Post#27 » by HotelVitale » Thu May 9, 2024 8:15 pm

tundraknight wrote:This video will forever be legendary :lol:

Brutal, man. Feel like I need a shower and a shot after watching this.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,950

Post#28 » by nikster » Thu May 9, 2024 8:19 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:

This is a great way to out it. Always knew severe punishments weren't helpful but totally makes sense consistency is key
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,125

Post#29 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 9, 2024 8:27 pm

nikster wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

This is a great way to out it. Always knew severe punishments weren't helpful but totally makes sense consistency is key

I'll try to dig up the articles but the reason for it basically is criminals are comically short-term in their thinking. So the length of punishment just doesn't register with them but the odds of being caught does.

I suspect, but don't know that the rare exemptions would be folks like the Enron crew or Madoff. These white collar criminals running very sophisticated fraud schemes probably do weigh severity of punishment along with likelihood of getting caught in their decision making.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,960

Post#30 » by cdubbz » Thu May 9, 2024 8:31 pm

I wonder how much money he had left in order for him to do something so stupid. I'm assuming he lived a lavish lifestyle, but wasn't getting paid like a star.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,396

Post#31 » by JDR720 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:31 pm

Read on Twitter
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,394

Post#32 » by CS707 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:36 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

It's all about the talking points for them. My current favorite is "I created X amount of housing", completely neglecting all the infrastructure needs that go along with an influx of housing/people.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,840

Post#33 » by Swish1906 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:37 pm

lol

Sackler clan still enjoying billions in freedom
Rick Scott
Brett Favre

Etc etc
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,069

Post#34 » by LuDux1 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:40 pm

Edrees wrote:Wow, you can prosecute a baby to prison in the US? what's next?

You obviously haven't seen this documentary about toddler crime gangs
trevorthyme
Ballboy
And1: 36

Post#35 » by trevorthyme » Thu May 9, 2024 8:45 pm

Somehow not a former president though...
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,288

Post#36 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 9, 2024 8:48 pm

trevorthyme wrote:

Somehow not a former president though...

Send Justin Castro my regards.
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,232

Post#37 » by Bob Ross » Thu May 9, 2024 8:48 pm

Insurance companies are the real criminals here
Tony15
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,903

Post#38 » by Tony15 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:56 pm

Nate505 wrote:

I have many, many complaints about the US justice system and think we tend to oversentence people, but I have very little sympathy for those who are defrauding people who need medical services. I detest thieves in general, but when the thief is a rich **** stealing from a fund meant to support people to live, they can really sit and rot in prison for a long time for all that I care.
This times infinity.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,396

Post#39 » by JDR720 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,326