Shams Bomb: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Deshaun Taden
Junior
And1: 448

Re: Shams Bomb: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer 

Post#21 » by Deshaun Taden » Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm

Great hire. I don't really buy them as a champion, not with so many young, explosive teams in the West, but I think they'll be put in the best position to succeed. They'll probably be a top 3 seed, meaning they get an easier first round matchup.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,659

Post#22 » by The High Cyde » Fri May 10, 2024 3:19 pm

This won’t do or change sh*t. Unfortunately the rot starts from ownership and the stink will last years.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,454

Post#23 » by boomershadow » Fri May 10, 2024 3:23 pm

shi-woo wrote:I honestly don't think Budz is that much different than Vogul in terms of ability, so we'll see.

He isn't. They're extraordinarily similar coaching wise, aren't they?
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 330

Post#24 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 10, 2024 3:28 pm

Buds is a great coach. He did more with less in Atlanta and took the Bucks to a new level. I think he'll be great for the Suns. I hope so, anyway. Booker deserves another real shot at the Championship.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 979

Post#25 » by Waynearchetype » Fri May 10, 2024 3:32 pm

Was really hoping they'd take Billups off our hands... The dream is dead.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,725

Post#26 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri May 10, 2024 3:38 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Good luck but I think we place too many expectations on coaches and not enough on GMs in this era.

I sat through Borrego trying every single defensive coverage in the book, drop, ice, even some zone, switching, etc. just throwing **** at the wall and hoping it would stick. He tried his absolute best to find a defensive scheme that worked but at some point our personnel was just inherently too exploitable.

This is the Suns issue too.

I liked Borrego. He got that team to the play in a couple of times and they spiraled when he was fired for Clifford. I’m sure it was a tanking maneuver and they got Miller out of it but Borrego was really solid I thought as an outsider looking in.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,127

Post#27 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 10, 2024 3:38 pm

Pantsman wrote:Good luck with his zero adjustments

Bud isn't the greatest coach and is too rigid. But he's one of the best coaches at identfying the best possible scheme for his roster. And that has a lot of value.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#28 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 10, 2024 3:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:
shi-woo wrote:I honestly don't think Budz is that much different than Vogul in terms of ability, so we'll see.

Different strengths/weaknesses. Vog is a great defensive coach with a mediocre offensive mind. When the Suns hired him they were hoping he could make the defense servicable while the stars could carry the offense. Bud is one of the best strategist in the last 2 decades at (i) evaluating his team's strengths and weaknesses; and (ii) developing and implementing the best scheme based on point 1. His problem is he is way too rigid about deviating from his plan which makes him very vulnerable if someone cracks it.

I'm not sure Bud is the perfect fit but I don't see this as a lateral move.
IamBBAnalysis
Rookie
And1: 524

Post#29 » by IamBBAnalysis » Fri May 10, 2024 3:46 pm

_jin wrote:Bud is a great coach, but no coach is going to fix this roster and the owner and FO's mindset. Ishbia and JJ made it clear they dont want a PG and want their 3 stars taking turns iso'ing and that will limit the coach's impact on offense. They need better defensive personnel but Vogel did a great job building a decent defense considering the roster. Vogel wasn't the problem and Bud wont be the solution. It's a lateral move for the Suns if no impactful player move is made and unless he manages to make a miracle Bud probably wont last more than a season.

As someone who is local and listens to the Suns insiders, the coach had lost the team early and they never respected him. And there never was an offensive plan. Really, the offense should be better. Vogel did fine with the defense.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#30 » by Pointgod » Fri May 10, 2024 3:48 pm

Matt Ishbia is a wild boy lmao
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#31 » by Pointgod » Fri May 10, 2024 3:50 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
boomershadow wrote:

Different strengths/weaknesses. Vog is a great defensive coach with a mediocre offensive mind. When the Suns hired him they were hoping he could make the defense servicable while the stars could carry the offense. Bud is one of the best strategist in the last 2 decades at (i) evaluating his team's strengths and weaknesses; and (ii) developing and implementing the best scheme based on point 1. His problem is he is way too rigid about deviating from his plan which makes him very vulnerable if someone cracks it.

Perfect assessment. Bud is Monty Williamsesque when it comes to sticking to his game plan regardless of outcome. The perfect coach for the Suns is a Ty Lue who will exploit match ups, tweak and try new things.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,013

Post#32 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 10, 2024 3:55 pm

2025: Suns fire Mike Bud
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#33 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 10, 2024 3:55 pm

Pointgod wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
boomershadow wrote:

Perfect assessment. Bud is Monty Williamsesque when it comes to sticking to his game plan regardless of outcome. The perfect coach for the Suns is a Ty Lue who will exploit match ups, tweak and try new things.

My view is Bud is the perfect coach for a team whose direction is unclear. If you're a GM who has assembled some talent but can't figure out how to utilize hire Bud. He'll figure out the best strategy and that will give you a good foundation going forward even if he's probably not the guy to get you the over-the-top. Fans tend to make fun of guys like Monty or Bud but there is real value there.

So I do like Bud but what you said makes sense. I'm not sure Phoenix's problems are things you need Bud for.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 251

Post#34 » by In-N-Out 247 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:01 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Haven't the Suns fired 3 coaches in 3 years?

2025: Suns fire Mike Bud

How much are they spending on coaches lol - $10M annually for Bud, $5M+ for Vogel not to coach. Did they owe Monty any money when they fired him?
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,381

Post#35 » by Jellybeans » Fri May 10, 2024 4:09 pm

Who wouldnt take that job with 8 digit salary :lol:
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 977

Post#36 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:45 pm

How much help does Booker need
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,641

Post#37 » by KGtabake » Fri May 10, 2024 4:48 pm

Great regular season coach.
The problem is they need a great playoffs coach.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#38 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 10, 2024 5:11 pm

Jellybeans wrote:Who wouldnt take that job with 8 digit salary :lol:

Anyone else think "Approaching 8-figures per year" is low?
Spoelstra 8/120m
Kerr 2/35m
Williams 6/78m
Kidd? - Think he was 4/32 but can't find anything new on the extension
Nurse? - $9m per
Pop - $16m per
Doc - 4/40

Sure, he probably doesn't deserve Spoelstra level lifetime contract but he has to be a tier above Kidd and Doc before you consider how desperate of a mess the Suns are in right now.

That said, not a bad overall fit for Bud since the Mavs job is off the market and SAS and Boston are probably pipe dreams for at least another year.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,232

Post#39 » by Archx » Fri May 10, 2024 5:15 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:How long until he gets the blame??

A 1 year (expensive) rental? :)

Pointgod wrote:Matt Ishbia is a wild boy lmao

He wakes up in the morning, fires up his PS5 and plays GM mode in NBA2k for a bit. Then goes to the office and tries to replicate what he did vs AI.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,314

Post#40 » by DonaldSanders » Fri May 10, 2024 5:22 pm

How does this work with the Bucks? Bud has 1 year, 8 million left on his contract. Do the Bucks get off the hook now that Phoenix hired him?

Return to The General Board