POLL: TNT or NBC preference

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

TNT or NBC going forward ?

Poll runs till Sun May 10, 2026 6:24 pm

TNT
59%
NBC
41%

Total votes: 163

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Re: POLL: TNT or NBC preference 

Post#21 » by Heat3 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:22 pm

I vote NBC if it means the games are on broadcast tv.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#22 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 9:27 pm

Heat3 wrote:I vote NBC if it means the games are on broadcast tv.
But it should be based on quality NBA coverage, not where or how it will be broadcast. NBC has always been a cable network with a streaming platform for their large movies and TV shows content.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,989

Post#23 » by Tim Lehrbach » Fri May 10, 2024 9:35 pm

NBC presented the NBA like it was theater. A bit over-the-top for my taste, and a big contributor to the 90s bias that persists. I preferred Turner (TBS/TNT) even in those days.

But y'all are right: there's really no point in comparing broadcasts 30 years apart. We don't know what a new NBA on NBC looks or feels like.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#24 » by Heat3 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:43 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
Heat3 wrote:I vote NBC if it means the games are on broadcast tv.
But it should be based on quality NBA coverage, not where or how it will be broadcast. NBC has always been a cable network with a streaming platform for their large movies and TV shows content.

NBC is one of the original big 3 broadcast networks.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#25 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 9:50 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:NBC presented the NBA like it was theater. A bit over-the-top for my taste, and a big contributor to the 90s bias that persists. I preferred Turner (TBS/TNT) even in those days.

But y'all are right: there's really no point in comparing broadcasts 30 years apart. We don't know what a new NBA on NBC looks or feels like.
NBA on TBS was low quality back in the mid 90s but they have gotten much better covering sports imo.

https://youtu.be/VuxRhKnAuwk?si=PFvG_LTEdrt9Synm
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,768

Post#26 » by ryguy613 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:52 pm

If going to NBC means I no longer need to hear Reggie Miller as an analyst, sign me up
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,186

Post#27 » by Kent » Fri May 10, 2024 10:37 pm

If NBC wins out, the same people cheering will complain and lament not having TNT after three seasons.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
SportsGuru08
Rookie
And1: 875

Post#28 » by SportsGuru08 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 pm

The trouble with this poll question is that there's no guarantee NBC's coverage will be as good as it was in the '90s. I don't know what to expect from NBC the second time around.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,391

Post#29 » by Godymas » Fri May 10, 2024 11:37 pm

TNT was HEAVILY carried by Inside which was HEAVILY carried by Chuck with Ernie being a nice host and Kenny being inoffensive enough

With that said, I don't like the app TNT has when I watch on my tablet, I don't like the app TNT has when I try and watch on my Google chromecast. I had no issues watching NBC content on these devices though when the NFL was on. As much as people hated on Peacock for their pay to watch model for an NFL playoff game, it's still better than anything TNT has.
Baz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,710

Post#30 » by Baz » Sat May 11, 2024 12:28 am

I bet NBC won't come back with the same music & branding they used to have. Also, TNT's branding & music is pretty underrated. I'll miss it a lot.
OhMyGodBecky
Sophomore
And1: 405

Post#31 » by OhMyGodBecky » Sat May 11, 2024 12:33 am

NBC & bring back Roundball Rock intro.
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#32 » by WentzerWuver » Sat May 11, 2024 11:01 am

OhMyGodBecky wrote:NBC & bring back Roundball Rock intro.
Actually, they will use a new theme to represent a new era of basketball on NBC with the following new intro.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZMItWiFHRg8?si=QUlh-YPsBSG2xf2K
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,459

Post#33 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:11 am

Looking forward to all the "NBC sucks bring back TNT" posts in the coming years
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,042

Post#34 » by hauntedcomputer » Sat May 11, 2024 11:34 am

God Squad wrote:I love the current TNT crew. There's lots of entertainment outside of just basketball talk and score breakdown.

Which is what I hate about it. It's a clown show instead of serious basketball analysis, but then again, about what I would expect to be favored by RealGM. For all their playing experience, they still mouth the same old tired takes. "STAR has to show up blah blah blah"

On the other hand, TNT Overtime is free and doesn't show that part.

My Dream Team of network analysts would be Awful Coaching, Thinking Basketball, and Candace Parker.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,338

Post#35 » by ThunderBolt » Sat May 11, 2024 11:37 am

It's too bad ESPN can't be the odd man out instead of one of TNT or NBC.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,489

Post#36 » by Hornet Mania » Sat May 11, 2024 1:05 pm

It's a valid point to mention that NBC today is not going to be the same as NBC when we last saw it in 2002. However, that network has done a fantastic job with NFL Sunday Night Football since picking it up 15yrs ago. Their production values are high and they treat the sport with respect while adeptly hyping up the night's matchup. If a return to NBA on NBC is of the same quality as NBC SNF it will be the best network covering the association.

I will echo what many other have already said, we just need to dump ESPN/ABC. Disney's NBA coverage has been an embarrassment for a long time and, imo, has hurt the sport by lowering the mainstream discourse into the gutter. I don't actually think TNT was that great, their broadcasts were just competent and the Inside guys were funny and charming, but they were head and shoulders better than their peers broadcasting the NBA during the last twenty years.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,233

Post#37 » by Lalouie » Sat May 11, 2024 3:04 pm

Where's the third option
SportsGuru08
Rookie
And1: 875

Post#38 » by SportsGuru08 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:08 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:It's a valid point to mention that NBC today is not going to be the same as NBC when we last saw it in 2002. However, that network has done a fantastic job with NFL Sunday Night Football since picking it up 15yrs ago. Their production values are high and they treat the sport with respect while adeptly hyping up the night's matchup. If a return to NBA on NBC is of the same quality as NBC SNF it will be the best network covering the association.

I will echo what many other have already said, we just need to dump ESPN/ABC. Disney's NBA coverage has been an embarrassment for a long time and, imo, has hurt the sport by lowering the mainstream discourse into the gutter. I don't actually think TNT was that great, their broadcasts were just competent and the Inside guys were funny and charming, but they were head and shoulders better than their peers broadcasting the NBA during the last twenty years.

This. ESPN has basically become the LeBron James 24/7 network and it's tiresome.

Whereas NBC in the '90s took all of their games seriously and at least tried to promote other players besides Michael Jordan or hype up games not involving the Bulls. That's not to say they didn't promote the hell out of MJ, just not to the point where it felt as if he took the network over.

Case in point, the intro to this Miami/New York game. It didn't involve MJ and the Bulls yet they still hyped it up.

;pp=ygUXMjAwMCBrbmlja3MgaGVhdCBnYW1lIDc%3D
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,998

Post#39 » by AleksandarN » Sat May 11, 2024 3:50 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:Ernie is very good at what he does, no doubt, but imo not close to Bob Costas in terms of NBA insight and knowledge during coverage as host. And the NBC crew at the games were also better than those from TNT.

I just wonder if those who want to continue with TNT instead of going back to NBC may have never experienced NBA coverage in the 90s handled by NBC, so these new fans only have ESPN to compare TNT to. Those who were fortunate to experience both NBC and TNT coverage of the games are better informed on their choice.

Since there have been a few threads on this subject already, maybe it's time to put it to a vote on preference going forward. And to help TNT gather more votes, NO ONE from the TNT crew can join NBC, which means no Ernie and the gang, so all those comedy bickering will come to an end. NBC coverage will have their own crew which has help bring in more brand awareness to the sport in the 90s than TNT has and believe they can again and yes, it was much more than just the song, but what do I know...

NBA on NBC 
https://youtube.com/shorts/hvUIMjCyjGE?si=2s-1k1156QPCXn1v

https://youtu.be/FSCF67FjL5w?si=5qGAjbaPlTX-dslK

Inside the NBA on TNT 
https://youtu.be/0lqNu9X7Iqs?si=39o4tRWNPNbH9cyr

Please VOTE to find out once and for all.

Ernie has been around basketball longer than Costa. When is last time Costa even been near the nba the last 20 or so years? What insight does Costa have over Ernie if we are to be honest. Both are great don’t get me wrong. But Ernie takes his job seriously. The hardest working person on that show. If it wasn’t for him inside the nba would be ****.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,219

Post#40 » by Laimbeer » Sat May 11, 2024 6:23 pm

Replace Shaq with Candace. He is an overly sensitive ego-maniac who thinks having rings wins arguements.

Return to The General Board