Possible way to slow down injuries

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Re: Possible way to slow down injuries 

Post#21 » by cgf » Sat May 11, 2024 10:18 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
cgf wrote:Maybe if players didn't need to squeeze 82 games into 6 months, they wouldn't be as beaten down by the playoffs?

107 NHL players played 82 games this past season. 116 the prior season.

These guys just aren't able to play consistently these days. Its always some excuse.

Most major sports have gotten too fast / tiring to treat athletes like we used to, plus we've pushed the capacity of the human body closer to its limits.

Plus the NHL is just grossly negligent when it comes to protecting its players. Sooner or later they are going to get sued by some former player that can't remember how to tie his daughter's shoelaces without her showing him how it's done.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Post#22 » by NbaAllDay » Sat May 11, 2024 10:30 pm

The main reason is 82 games played with crazy amounts of travel.

The NBA won't change this because it = $$

To assume people didn't get hurt all the time back in the day is silly, they did.

Nothing you can do will be better than more time in between games.

THe other side is the pace and demand on players too. There is without question more movement required in todays game, I see it in most other sports too. The actual distance covered is night and day for a lot of athlete's and the demands increase yearly.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,249

Post#23 » by Lalouie » Sat May 11, 2024 10:30 pm

raise the basket to 11'

raise the draft age to 21yrs
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,389

Post#24 » by ItsDanger » Sat May 11, 2024 10:35 pm

cgf wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
cgf wrote:Maybe if players didn't need to squeeze 82 games into 6 months, they wouldn't be as beaten down by the playoffs?

107 NHL players played 82 games this past season. 116 the prior season.

These guys just aren't able to play consistently these days. Its always some excuse.

Most major sports have gotten too fast / tiring to treat athletes like we used to, plus we've pushed the capacity of the human body closer to its limits.

Plus the NHL is just grossly negligent when it comes to protecting its players. Sooner or later they are going to get sued by some former player that can't remember how to tie his daughter's shoelaces without her showing him how it's done.

Like I said, always some excuse. NBA players are soft these days.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Post#25 » by JayMKE » Sat May 11, 2024 10:47 pm

I agree, the pace of the game now and ironically the lack of defense puts a lot more wear & tear on guys over the course of the season.
FREE GIANNIS
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,452

Post#26 » by PushDaRock » Sat May 11, 2024 11:01 pm

Swish1906 wrote:No one needs 82 freaking games to eliminate 10 of 30 teams…

72 RS games. 2 against teams of the other conference and 3x the 14 teams of your conference. Or even 58 games I wouldn’t mind…

Less games and now you can kill every B2B and divisions too.

Won’t happen because money…

Will the players take a pay cut to make it happen?
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,704

Post#27 » by Forbes » Sat May 11, 2024 11:47 pm

Personally I think the NBA is missing A LOT of bench talent. I know people like to say the NBA got better but overall, there is less talent in my opinion. A lot of start play a ton of minutes and it’s not by choice.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#28 » by cgf » Sun May 12, 2024 1:39 am

ItsDanger wrote:
cgf wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:107 NHL players played 82 games this past season. 116 the prior season.

Like I said, always some excuse. NBA players are soft these days.

lol sure thing gramps
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!

Return to The General Board