I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Showtime 80
Junior
And1: 617

Re: I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore 

Post#21 » by Showtime 80 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:16 pm

Ainosterhaspie wrote:Most of the people grumbling about physicality have no idea what they're talking about. Their memories of the past are fogged by 30-40 years of passing time, and they haven't really paid attention to the modern game. It's a critique based highlights not real games, and it's a praise of a fictitious nostalgic past. There is also a lot of failure to understand the physical challenges of the modern game. Needing to defend the entire half court instead of just the paint is a huge change, that requires much more effort and it's just ignored when people start crying about the modern game being too soft.

You want to know how it was factual that the game was more physical and the league wanted to soften and turn it more perimeter oriented? Because David Stern, Rob Thorn, Stu Jackson and Jerry Colangelo were more than open about the creation and objective for the numerous rule changes from the mid 90’s up to the late 2010’s. There’s a ton of literature on it that you should check out
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,996

Re: I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore 

Post#22 » by Patches Perry » Sat May 11, 2024 11:17 pm

Most people want more physicality in games where they are neutral observers, but selection bias dictates that most of the commentary you see on a given game will be from fans of one of two teams, and fans will never love physicality if its being used (effectively) against their team.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,871

Post#23 » by Deivork » Sat May 11, 2024 11:22 pm

You don't have to be a boomer to have an opinion of how the game has evolved. This whole generation fixation is just another designed way for people to feel divided. Just my 2 cents.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,036

Post#24 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 11, 2024 11:32 pm

tsherkin wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:You constantly hear it on here and other places. People always complaining how soft the NBA is, how these players wouldn't survive in other eras. Old NBA players say it all the time too.

The games this postseason have been physical AF. It's like a freaking rugby match out there. I get that a lot of people are insecure about modern players being better than their favorite players of the past, but enough is enough. These guys are taking absolute beatings and playing physical as hell.

Starting a post by insulting a whole generation isn't a particularly intelligent way to open up a thread if the intent is actually quality discussion, just FWIW.

Boomer is a figure of speech, man. I don't literally mean baby boomers. I mean any old-head that whines about the physicality and "softness" of today's league.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,245

Post#25 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sat May 11, 2024 11:35 pm

Showtime 80 wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:Most of the people grumbling about physicality have no idea what they're talking about. Their memories of the past are fogged by 30-40 years of passing time, and they haven't really paid attention to the modern game. It's a critique based highlights not real games, and it's a praise of a fictitious nostalgic past. There is also a lot of failure to understand the physical challenges of the modern game. Needing to defend the entire half court instead of just the paint is a huge change, that requires much more effort and it's just ignored when people start crying about the modern game being too soft.

You want to know how it was factual that the game was more physical and the league wanted to soften and turn it more perimeter oriented? Because David Stern, Rob Thorn, Stu Jackson and Jerry Colangelo were more than open about the creation and objective for the numerous rule changes from the mid 90’s up to the late 2010’s. There’s a ton of literature on it that you should check out

You know we can actually watch games the games from the 80s, 90s and now right? Like whole actual games not just the same "10 brutal 80s plays" running on loop next to "10 of 2010s most egregious flops". If you bother to actually watch whole games it's very clear that the physicality of the 80s and 90s is highly exaggerated, as is the so called softness of today.

That's before you notice that much of 80s/90s defense is five guys standing in the paint instead of chasing people all over the court. You could get wide open 15+ foot shots in the 80s and 90s doing zero work. Defense gave you those for free. Try defending like that today and you'll get destroyed.

80s/90s defense being super intense and physical is one of the biggest NBA myths. It's pure cope to cover for an era that played stupid (treated the three as a novelty and bad shot instead of game changing weapon) and lacked skill.

Go watch the Blazers giving Jordan six wide open threes with barely a hint of contesting then get back to me about that super physical 90s defense.
Only 10 Players in NBA history have 20,237 points, 5,504 assists and 5,592 rebounds. LeBron has double those numbers.
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#26 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 11, 2024 11:38 pm

This guy gets it. Aside from the fouls from from the Bad Boys, the 80s was softer than what we're seeing during these playoffs IMO.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Post#27 » by NbaAllDay » Sat May 11, 2024 11:39 pm

People are going to come in here and conflate physical with rough acts and forget various other changes to the game. Using 90s as the comparison.

1. There were more 'rough acts' back in the day, which were non basketball plays and most have been rubbed out (maybe happened 1-2 a game). Watching these from the 90s gives the illusion it happened all the time.

2. The game is more physical on a per possession basis off ball today. Many more screens/picks and movement creating a lot more contact today. I've watched enough from the 90s to see this as fairly obvious.

Won't even go into the far greater physical demand on players today due to the constant running and 'space'.

3. The on ball contact is less today in a 1v1 set up, however there are far more PNRs and contact from it. Note the myth of 'Handchecking' making it multitudes tougher has been debunked fairly easily.

4. Somewhat contradictory to what I've said above is due to the amount of 3p shooting today there 'can be' less opportunity for the 'physical' hits of plays that you see in the 90s. This isn't a product of players/NBA being softer today and simply an evolution of how's its played.

5. We routinely see the increase in physicality in the playoffs, more than I ever saw in the difference In the 00s and 90s to the reg season.This is in part, a reason for playoff 'droppers' more these days imo who's game relied on the easier whistle in the Reg season comparatively. Somewhat subjective but it's what I've seen abd the data backs the production peice up.

TLDR -
more physical offball due to increase movement and sets.

Less on ball 1v1. More in most sets of 2v2.

Space can = less big hits per possession but more physically taxing requirement.

Playoff difference likely greater today.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#28 » by cdubbz » Sat May 11, 2024 11:40 pm

The NBA is still soft. Physicality is not the same. If these playoffs are supposed to show how physical the game is then young fans don't know how physical the game was.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,015

Post#29 » by tsherkin » Sat May 11, 2024 11:43 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:You constantly hear it on here and other places. People always complaining how soft the NBA is, how these players wouldn't survive in other eras. Old NBA players say it all the time too.

The games this postseason have been physical AF. It's like a freaking rugby match out there. I get that a lot of people are insecure about modern players being better than their favorite players of the past, but enough is enough. These guys are taking absolute beatings and playing physical as hell.

Starting a post by insulting a whole generation isn't a particularly intelligent way to open up a thread if the intent is actually quality discussion, just FWIW.

Boomer is a figure of speech, man. I don't literally mean baby boomers. I mean any old-head that whines about the physicality and "softness" of today's league.

The remark stands. It's a pejorative term, not going to engender any kind of positive response.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,456

Post#30 » by SichtingLives » Sat May 11, 2024 11:46 pm

Terrible poster with massive inferiority complex flexes his insecurities as the world yawns
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#31 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 11, 2024 11:46 pm

tsherkin wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

The remark stands. It's a pejorative term, not going to engender any kind of positive response.

ScrantonBulls
Senior

Post#32 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 11, 2024 11:49 pm

cdubbz wrote:The NBA is still soft. Physicality is not the same. If these playoffs are supposed to show how physical the game is then young fans don't know how physical the game was.

I was watching a 1985 finals game between the Celtics and Lakers earlier to see how it compared. I was shocked at how much less physical it was compared to the game we saw today. There was way less contact. It wasn't even close.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,549

Post#33 » by BigGargamel » Sun May 12, 2024 12:07 am

Today's fans say they want physical play, then whine about technicals and ejections any time someone breathes on another player (or throws something on the court).
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 551

Post#34 » by FrodoFraggins » Sun May 12, 2024 12:12 am

I don't want to see coomers make posts about eras they never witnessed. :)
Showtime 80
Junior

Post#35 » by Showtime 80 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:15 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:
cdubbz wrote:The NBA is still soft. Physicality is not the same. If these playoffs are supposed to show how physical the game is then young fans don't know how physical the game was.

I was watching a 1985 finals game between the Celtics and Lakers earlier to see how it compared. I was shocked at how much less physical it was compared to the game we saw today. There was way less contact. It wasn't even close.

The 80’s Lakers and Celtics were never physical bruising defensive teams but these guys were:

;pp=ygUTS25pY2tzIFBpc3RvbnMgMTk5Mg%3D%3D

Teams like these were allowed the exist and succeed in the NBA stifling the heck out of the top offenses in the league. After the Spurs, Pistons and Pacers started dominating in the mid 2000’s the NBA wanted to eradicate it and thus we have the soft as tissue Chuck and Duck era were 80%+ of the 3 pointers are open and the league average is still 36%.

David Stern and his cronies thought it was too physical and wanted it to set it back to beginner level for the dimwit offensive players that were coming into the league from mid 90’s onward.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,112

Post#36 » by SOUL » Sun May 12, 2024 1:15 am

90s was physical but it's physical in a different way today. Take a random game from the 90s or early 2000s and you will see very soft defense. It's not a coincidence people always show the physical Pistons teams clotheslining people or 90s Knicks/Pacers/Heat and not just some random average team.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,326

Post#37 » by SerialChiller » Sun May 12, 2024 1:30 am

I for one don't want to hear that a basketball game, any basketball game is like a rugby match ever again haha.
Showtime 80
Junior

Post#38 » by Showtime 80 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:40 am

SerialChiller wrote:I for one don't want to hear that a basketball game, any basketball game is like a rugby match ever again haha.

Those “rugby matches” created the most intense and greatest rivalries ever seen in NBA history during the 80’s/90’a unlike today which has turned into a 3 point shooting exhibition between AAU buddy buddies :banghead:

Celtics/Sixers
Lakers/Celtics
Celtics/Pistons
Lakers/Pistons
Pistons/Bulls
Bulls/Knicks
Knicks/Heat

The NBA hasn’t had clashes like those in the last 20+ years
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,326

Post#39 » by SerialChiller » Sun May 12, 2024 1:41 am

Showtime 80 wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:I for one don't want to hear that a basketball game, any basketball game is like a rugby match ever again haha.

Those “rugby matches” created the most intense and greatest rivalries ever seen in NBA history during the 80’s/90’a unlike today which has turned into a 3 point shooting exhibition between AAU buddy buddies :banghead:

Celtics/Sixers
Lakers/Celtics
Celtics/Pistons
Lakers/Pistons
Pistons/Bulls
Bulls/Knicks
Knicks/Heat

The NBA hasn’t had clashes like those in the last 20+ years

I'm talking to the OP saying in no way can any basketball game in any era be called a rugby match lol. It's basketball which is soft by nature and especially now softer than ever.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,245

Post#40 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sun May 12, 2024 1:43 am

SOUL wrote:90s was physical but it's physical in a different way today. Take a random game from the 90s or early 2000s and you will see very soft defense. It's not a coincidence people always show the physical Pistons teams clotheslining people or 90s Knicks/Pacers/Heat and not just some random average team.

People think there were about 100x more clothelines than there actually were and meanwhile forget that stuff like that has still happened in the modern game. Ask JJ Barrea.

Only 10 Players in NBA history have 20,237 points, 5,504 assists and 5,592 rebounds. LeBron has double those numbers.

Return to The General Board