Man, it must be rough being a Nets fan right now...

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Re: Man, it must be rough being a Nets fan right now... 

Post#21 » by Dan Z » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

[img]
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 161

Post#22 » by Astaluego » Sun May 12, 2024 10:33 pm

Godymas wrote:the Nets are a joke, a disgrace. Ruin their own culture and rebuild to go all in on diva stars. Trade their future for a RENTAL.

I will say, there is a silver lining now for the Nets. Those Phoenix picks could become something very interesting 3 years from now. However if the Nets fail to make any meaningful trade this off-season they are screwed into giving Houston even more assets for their rebuild.

Actually the PHX picks could be something worthwhile even next year if PHX are forced to trade away KD/Book.

Looking from another perspective, if they are patient they should fear the best package to get Booker,...I can't see this Suns project (copying the same mistakes of the Nets) staying on its feet for long...it's also a place attractive FA t project a lot of space for 2025
Old Mike Lorenzo
Kittles02
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#23 » by Kittles02 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:34 pm

Net fan here it aint rough for me. I'd rather keep swinging for the fences than wait 20 yrs to win a playoff series.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,051

Post#24 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun May 12, 2024 10:35 pm

The draft sucks this year but still a nightmare.

Giving up all those picks and pick swaps without protection was insane.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,422

Post#25 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:36 pm

shi-woo wrote:Giving up their 3rd Top 3 pick in the past 7-8 years is heartbreaking...

For a team that hasn't done much in that time they've given up picks that have turned into

James Young
Jaylen Brown
Colin Sexton
Jayson Tatum

And whatever all-star level player you know HOU is going to draft this year. This decade needs to be a lesson to any team looking to mortgage their future for quick success when you don't already have an established team. Suns and Clippers have to be shaking in their boots knowing what their future is most likely going to look like.

Nets have built a powerhouse in the East in Boston, and it looks like they built another out West in Houston.

BRK fan's how you feeling right now?

All players mentioned here won as much as current Nets roster did those 8 years , so to your question, it feels good
:D
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,051

Post#26 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 pm

On the brightside, looking at the Suns. Its great that we traded Durant.

Imagine that we held on to him and we still sucked. And has no Suns picks. Yikes.

I think we will get a star in Brooklyn soon.
JT3000
Bench Warmer
And1: 242

Post#27 » by JT3000 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:48 pm

Everyone out here worried about Nets fans, but is no one going to talk Pistons fans off the ledge?
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,026

Post#28 » by AleksandarN » Sun May 12, 2024 10:52 pm

Ouch it’s the Celtic’s trade all over again

Read on Twitter
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,738

Post#29 » by DOT » Sun May 12, 2024 10:54 pm

Kittles02 wrote:I'd rather keep swinging for the fences than wait 20 yrs to win a playoff series.

Nets have 2 playoff series wins in the last 17 years

Haven't made it past the 2nd round in 21 years

I don't think the strategy is working.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#30 » by AleksandarN » Sun May 12, 2024 10:54 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:The draft sucks this year but still a nightmare.

Giving up all those picks and pick swaps without protection was insane.

Kittles02
Freshman

Post#31 » by Kittles02 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:54 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:Giving up their 3rd Top 3 pick in the past 7-8 years is heartbreaking...

For a team that hasn't done much in that time they've given up picks that have turned into

James Young
Jaylen Brown
Colin Sexton
Jayson Tatum

And whatever all-star level player you know HOU is going to draft this year. This decade needs to be a lesson to any team looking to mortgage their future for quick success when you don't already have an established team. Suns and Clippers have to be shaking in their boots knowing what their future is most likely going to look like.

Nets have built a powerhouse in the East in Boston, and it looks like they built another out West in Houston.

All players mentioned here won as much as current Nets roster did those 8 years , so to your question, it feels good

Exactly, Lillard had playoff success in Portland but never won a ring. Brown and Tatum same thing, even though I think this yr could be their yr.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#32 » by AleksandarN » Sun May 12, 2024 10:55 pm

DOT wrote:
Kittles02 wrote:I'd rather keep swinging for the fences than wait 20 yrs to win a playoff series.

Trust the process look at Philly oh wait…
Kittles02
Freshman

Post#33 » by Kittles02 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:00 pm

DOT wrote:

Like I said I'll take my chances everytime you have a chance to put 3 hofers together. They're kryptonite was a mandate and health. I see this postseason all 3 were healthy just older.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,285

Post#34 » by celticfan42487 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:00 pm

brutalitops wrote:You still do the trades to get that 3. Its a combination of horrid luck and hindsight which makes it funny

Yeah you got to go for it every time you can.

Irving somehow finally seems to be playing nice on the Mavs with I think it being his 3rd year which usually he blows the relationship up by now. You take the chance that could have been you.

Harden didn't work for the 76ers due to Embiid and such, but he seemed to work for the Clippers with a similar squad of talent this year.

You take the chance every time that they knew themselves enough to work together on your squad like I'm sure they said they would before those trades and signings went down.

This thread has merit, but it's hard for me to feel bad for them on the same day when I saw the Pistons and Hornets fall out of the top 4.

At least the Nets get shots and hype and expectations. Those 2 get nothing and then they just got screwed on top of it.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,968

Post#35 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 12, 2024 11:10 pm

shi-woo wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:I mean the Nets knew coming in that they'd lost their pick, so I don't think today changed much. They are very well provisioned with picks going forward, and just added a lotto pick around the same spot as the one they lost should have been. The Nets will be fine, and it's a weak draft anyway.

They lost most of their picks trying to swing for a title. It didn't work out, but their motivations were generally reasonable. If you have a good process, but lightning hits you, did you really fail or just get unlucky.

I could understand that take if we were talking about the Suns or Clips, but we aren't. The Nets have already seen this movie once this decade, and had to watch the Celtics draft two All-NBA players, and have the cache to trade for Kyrie Irving using their pick.

We knew they lost the pick, but we didn't expect BRK to win the lottery again, and that does have to hurt. They are throwing away picks that other teams are using to draft solid players, and trade for all-star talent (something BOS did and HOU is most likely going to do). I highlighted the BOS trade, and that team with those players have essentially ran the East since 2017.

Now the same story is happening again, and HOU looks to be a monster team going foward as well.

Nets haven't won enough, nor come close enough to winning for this not to be a bother, or something that isn't worth mentioning. It's a style of team building which is antiquated, and has absolutely ruined this franchise. They've essentially been rebuilding/mid since Jason Kidd left and havn't tried rebuilding since they drafted Brook, giving up on, you guessed it, another #3 pick in Favors. Teams like ATL and WAS get dragged through the mud for making win now moves, but BRK has been objectively worse in that same time frame.

Do you remember the days when Nets fans were going hard on having Dinwiddie, Harris, and making threads about how LeVert had All-Star potential? How Bojan and Brook Lopez were the face of the franchise? How Shane Larkin was a steal?

How can you possibly say the process was good, when it's been an absolute disaster of a franchise since 2008? They've made the same mistake trading all there good players and picks for 2 aging vets one coming off of injury, how in the world is that a solid process.

I think people find it easier to crap on the results, than bother thinking about the processes that led there.

So let’s do that in each case. First with the infamous Boston trade that got them KG and Pierce. The results were terrible in a vacuum obviously. They lost Tatum and Brown. What was the thought process at the time though? Not every team is trying to win the title after all, teams can have other goals. The grit and grind Grizzlies knew they were unlikely to win a title, but their run did a lot for the team and the fanbase anyway and I don’t think they need to apologise for that.

The Nets, going back to before the KG or G.Wallace trade, had basically one goal. They wanted to be relevant to build their fanbase in the lucrative NY market that they were moving into; and in that they largely succeeded. People forget that their original goal was to sign Dwight, who was at the time a top 5 player in the NBA, and they came incredibly close to getting him until Dwight made the bizarre decision to opt into another year with the Magic because they had his favourite candy on a flight with the Magic staff. This resulted in the Nets plan, which was all but a fait accompli, needing to be improvised. They could no longer wait for Dwight. Instead they went out and got KG and Pierce, with the logic being that it would help them make a splash in NY and give people a reason to root for them.

Something else that I think people forget is that the Nets were very unlucky; for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest is Deron Williams declining significantly due to injuries, which really came out of nowhere. Deron Williams was basically a top 10 player in the league or close to it, and the plan had originally been to pair him with Dwight. For a long time people debated who was better between him and CP3, and while it was obviously CP3 in hindsight, it wasn’t by that much to be honest. After the D-Will trade, Donnie Walsh (who had just traded for Melo) remarked that maybe he should have called Utah before he pulled the trigger, because obviously Donnie would have preferred D-Will (everyone at the time would have).

The Net plan looked to pay dividends. The Nets made the playoffs their first 3 seasons in Brooklyn, and built a fanbase. They were a tough out, and their 1-4 loss to Miami was a lot closer than it looked on paper. With better luck and health, they could have won more and had better playoff runs. Those are the breaks. The decision to trade some firsts to get this short term success looked sound though, because the team owner was apparently willing to keep spending to keep them competitive in the weak East. It only backfired when the Russian owner decided out of nowhere that he’d rather cut costs, and walked back his plan. The GM was kind of blindsided by this clearly, as he’d made the trades on the assurance the owner would keep spending, not blow the team up.

Then the plan to get KD and Irving was sound too. The team looked like they could have won the 2021 title, with a little more luck and health. Every owner would have made those traded. They weren’t to know the team was going to have constant injuries, and then implode chemistry wise. Even those who were down on Kyrie could not have predicted the damage he’d do in Brooklyn. He was generally productive in Cleveland and Boston despite his issues, and is productive now in Dallas. Ben Simmons complete collapse as a player has also been something almost nobody predicted.

Ultimately the team was just a bit unlucky that the most recent contention plan didn’t work out, but for the most part their moves had reasonable justification behind them. The pick jumping into the top 3 is just bad luck. If they’d had normal luck then this would all look much more reasonable.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,497

Post#36 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:13 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:

James Young
Jaylen Brown
Colin Sexton
Jayson Tatum

It was NYC's moronic vaccine policy that broke up the Nets. Not injuries like in LAC, or bad roster construction like in PHX.

Don't be ridiculous
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,283

Post#37 » by BDM22 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:24 pm

Can't trade unprotected picks in the era of the flattened draft odds and the play-in. You could be the 7th best team in the conference, lose in the play-in, and hand a team the #1 pick. Hawks nearly made the play-in and still handed the Spurs #1 if Spurs took the option to start the Dejounte picks this year.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,338

Post#38 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sun May 12, 2024 11:43 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
DOT wrote:

Trust the process look at Philly oh wait…

Philly and Brooklyn both made the mistake of hitching their wagon to guys like Ben Simmons and James Harden. In an alternate universe where Philly keeps Butler and trades Ben away when his value was at its peak, they could've been the team going to the finals in the bubble year.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,113

Post#39 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 pm

I think there will be a bidding war this offseason for Bridges and the Nets will get offers they simply cannot refuse. It wouldn't surprise me if HOU gives them back their picks and some of their young players so they can give Ime Udoka the overwhelming talent advantage he needs to compete. HOU is just one of many teams that have almost too many young players and picks but no minutes for all them. I think these are the teams that need consolidation trades and will come knocking on the Nets door.
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,342

Post#40 » by Sweet Serenity » Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:

James Young
Jaylen Brown
Colin Sexton
Jayson Tatum

This is coping on a completely different level lol

Return to The General Board