I mean this might not look good for the Twolves ownership (Pistons may pursue Connelly for POBO)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Re: I mean this might not look good for the Twolves ownership (Pistons may pursue Connelly for POBO) 

Post#21 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm

AleksandarN wrote:I mean Connelly might jump ship. What if the Twolves lose to the Nuggets and Connelly jumps ship. What then? Or do they try and convince Connelly to stay by offering even more money. Will they even do that given the ownership status

Read on Twitter
If that's the guy who approved of that lopsided Gobert trade with Danny Boy, then the Pistons should pass on him.

No one would offer that much for someone with no offensive game.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,121

Re: I mean this might not look good for the Twolves ownership (Pistons may pursue Connelly for POBO) 

Post#22 » by Dominator83 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:41 am

I saw on the tap they're looking to go dollar store and poach Marc Eversley. They need to spend big on this one
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,853

Post#23 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 am

Minny is set for a while so he's not really needed there anymore. It'd be nice if Detroit finally got a competent FO.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,849

Post#24 » by ConSarnit » Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 am

shrink wrote:Keep in mind, when this video was released, both ownership groups were spinning news to try to get fans behind them. This was intended to make it sound like if ARod and Lore don’t gain ownership, their boy Connelly would leave in protest. I would say that’s foolish, and maybe even backwards.

Put yourself in Connelly’s shoes. If you’re a GM what do you want from an owner?:

1. Respect: While ARod and Lore made the approach, and deserve credit, Taylor told them “people like him don’t come to MIN.” This would be like telling your wife, “I thought you were too beautiful to go on a first date with me back then!” He has said nothing but good things about Connelly, and supported him publicly through the first year of backlash from the Gobert trade.

2. Autonomy: Connelly has been GM for two years under Taylor, and has seen more autonomy than a GM could expect. Remember when everyone was panning the Gobert trade? Taylor didn’t like it either, but he signed off on it, trusting Connelly. Taylor has a long history of sitting back and letting GMs do what they want - if anything, people are critical that he doesn’t get in and fire guys earlier. Not great for fans, but good spot if you’re already the GM.

3. Money: Taylor is the richest man in Minnesota. Connelly is making $10 mil a year with the Wolves, which is the second highest salary for a GM in the NBA, and Taylor is the one paying the bulk of Connelly’s paycheck. I assume he’d match any offer DET would make. Taylor has also agreed on all the player extensions Connelly wanted. ARod and Lore’s net worth is questioned nationally, and it’s not until they become owners when the bulk of the team’s financial burden (and lux taxes) fall on them. ARod and Lore presented a plan to the other owners and their lender to not just cut payroll under the second apron, but under the lux! To Connelly, this would mean forcing him to slash critical parts of the contender he built.

4. Security: Connelly says he and his family love living in Minnesota, and his work ethic and modesty fit well here. Whether that’s just lip service or not, we know Taylor will not move this team. If ARod and Lore lose, they won’t even own a team - if they win, it’s just more promises the team stays in Minnesota.

Now, part of the reason that Connelly said he took the job in MIN was for the challenge, and perhaps he’d want to go to DET for a new challenge. Or maybe he wants to show his plan for the expensive roster he created? Even more likely, maybe he wants to see if the team he built can win him a ring? He missed out in DEN. Regardless, I think he’s going to make the best choice for himself and family, not leaving a dream job because owners are currently fighting.

Connelly got an opt out that lined up with ownership takeover for a reason. That reason is clearly Taylor. He’s been around the league for a while. There is a good chance he doesn’t want to work for Taylor long term. The money might not be worth it to him if he doesn’t want to work for Taylor.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,401

Post#25 » by shrink » Tue May 14, 2024 3:01 am

ConSarnit wrote:Connelly got an opt out that lined up with ownership takeover for a reason. That reason is clearly Taylor. He’s been around the league for a while. There is a good chance he doesn’t want to work for Taylor long term. The money might not be worth it to him if he doesn’t want to work for Taylor.

It’s weird you could come to that conclusion if you read my post. As I looked into this, I discovered these opt outs (for either side) aren’t terribly rare. And if you’re going to just assume that with the timing it’s Taylor, do you realize he agreed to work under Taylor and has not agreed to take the job under ARod and Lore? Or why not make the correlation that this is when potentially underfunded ownership would take over? Or that Connelly wanted to see what ARod and Lore’s financial plans were, when they’d be forced to present a plan to the other owners and their lenders?

To sum it up, just because Taylor isn’t a good owner for fans, does not mean he’s not a great owner if you’re his GM.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,453

Post#26 » by Mr Peanut » Tue May 14, 2024 1:00 pm

I think our owner Tom Gores will offer Connelly the farm and then some. Gores was embarrassed this season with fans chanting "sell the team" during the losing streak and him having to hold a mid-season interview with a local beat writer to try and defuse the situation. He'll want to solve the problem with the only way he knows how - offering the top guy the most amount of money.

Whether Connelly simply uses that as a bargaining chip to get a better offer from Minnesota, who knows.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,575

Post#27 » by Saints14 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:08 pm

Connelly would have the opportunity to do the funniest thing ever (trade 4 first round picks for Gobert)
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,297

Post#28 » by NYPiston » Tue May 14, 2024 1:12 pm

The Pistons might be an enormous mess on the court but the one thing they have is stable ownership and an owner that is willing to spend to the moon and then some to get his guy so I can see it being an attractive destination from that standpoint.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,437

Post#29 » by Gusto1903 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:32 pm

The Pistons are cursed, he will have none of it.
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,342

Post#30 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:12 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Gores went deep for Monty, and if hes serious about finally righting the ship, he's gonna have to go DEEP for Conelly. 20 million per, 5 years will get it done.

Before anyone balks, look at the state of the Pistons, and Conellys resume. Its gonna COST.

Pardon my ignorant question but how much better is Connelly over Bob Myers? I thought Bob did pretty good too in Golden State.
TacoLord
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,272

Re: I mean this might not look good for the Twolves ownership 

Post#31 » by TacoLord » Tue May 14, 2024 4:17 pm

famicommander wrote:Connelly should absolutely leave. The 2nd apron is coming to decimate the Timberwolves, and their ownership nonsense doesn't inspire confidence either. Their window is pretty much this season.

Yes, but on the other hand he would be running The Detroit Pistons...
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,016

Post#32 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 14, 2024 4:18 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Gores went deep for Monty, and if hes serious about finally righting the ship, he's gonna have to go DEEP for Conelly. 20 million per, 5 years will get it done.

Before anyone balks, look at the state of the Pistons, and Conellys resume. Its gonna COST.

Pardon my ignorant question but how much better is Connelly over Bob Myers? I thought Bob did pretty good too in Golden State.
I don't think Bob wants to do it again, otherwise I'm sure Gores would be all over it.

He seems content with his titles, and ESPN gig.

I mean, in his position, would you want to take the Pistons gig? There's a dumpster fire, and then there's the Pistons.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,342

Post#33 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:33 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

I don't think Bob wants to do it again, otherwise I'm sure Gores would be all over it.

He seems content with his titles, and ESPN gig.

I mean, in his position, would you want to take the Pistons gig? There's a dumpster fire, and then there's the Pistons.

It's a challenge but like you said, expectations are pretty low and it's not like they have a bunch of overpaid lazy superstars eating up their Cap Space.
Per Hoopshype they only have 68 Mil in committed salary? Not saying Top Free agents are eager to play in Detroit but they can start recruiting hardworking role players. And it's not just players but hiring the most competent Scouts, Trainers etc etc.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,001

Post#34 » by wegotthabeet » Tue May 14, 2024 4:36 pm

so is Weaver out or what's going on there?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,305

Post#35 » by Clemenza » Tue May 14, 2024 4:47 pm

How does Connelly and Monte work?
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,976

Post#36 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue May 14, 2024 5:02 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:He's at the very least going to get a higher contract with Minny, no? Would be foolish not to opt out and get a larger pay day, regardless of where it comes from.

BTW - Masai makes ~$15m per year + will get a share of the incremental increase in value for Raptors franchise during his current contract. Word is this was a lesser package than one offered by Washington that included north of $15m in annual salary + ownership stake in the franchise. So if Gores does throw $15m at Connelly, it's not some crazy number coming out of nowhere.

Ujiri has been terrible since Raptors won the chip. Like bottom 3rd of the league level. $15M for a GM/POBO is too much, IMO. A lot of winning is luck.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,016

Post#37 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 14, 2024 5:02 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:so is Weaver out or what's going on there?
So here's the deal.

Whoever Gores hires as POBO, will have full run. Can fire Weaver and Monty if need be. (Publicly stated by Gores)

This is why he is going after the top tier guys.

If Conelly is hired, one of the two are toast before the draft, and I suspect that both are gone before the end of the year.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,184

Post#38 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:He's at the very least going to get a higher contract with Minny, no? Would be foolish not to opt out and get a larger pay day, regardless of where it comes from.

BTW - Masai makes ~$15m per year + will get a share of the incremental increase in value for Raptors franchise during his current contract. Word is this was a lesser package than one offered by Washington that included north of $15m in annual salary + ownership stake in the franchise. So if Gores does throw $15m at Connelly, it's not some crazy number coming out of nowhere.

Ujiri has been terrible since Raptors won the chip. Like bottom 3rd of the league level. $15M for a GM/POBO is too much, IMO. A lot of winning is luck.

I disagree but I don't think it really matters tbh. How much you pay your GM/POBO has nothing to do with the cap and what you can do building the team. The only group worse off from what coaches and players make is the owners. Why do we as fans care what they get paid?
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#39 » by BDM22 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:13 pm

Connelly's just using Detroit to get a better contract in Minny.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,595

Post#40 » by og15 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:18 pm

azcatz11 wrote:He may have drafted Jokic but he’s on record saying he didn’t know who he was. Basically built his entire career on one of his euro scouts who wanted to take a chance…so yeah. Hopefully he donates a lot of that money to charity

And taking a chance at the 41st pick with a player projected there is not really that much of a chance.

The real job is building around the player(s), not usually getting them. Most teams luck into or tank into their generational guy.

I'd say he's done well in that aspect, at least as well as any good GM (or pobo) would.

Return to The General Board