JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams]

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who's going to be the new Lakers head coach?

Poll ended at Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 pm

JJ Redick
33%
James Borrego
5%
Sam Cassell
39%
David Adelman
5%
Micah Nori
5%
Chris Quinn
5%
Other (mention in reply)
9%

Total votes: 64

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,743

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#21 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 14, 2024 3:59 pm

Hired to be fired. Just roll with an interim for a year like the clownshow this organization is. Just tell the fans to STFU and keep a coach.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,869

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#22 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 14, 2024 4:01 pm

I feel like Adelman should get a shot. I don’t know why you’re rushing a coach, Adelman is clearly the best candidate.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#23 » by zero rings » Tue May 14, 2024 4:06 pm

JJ seems to have a good thing going with his podcast and ESPN gig. Not sure I’d throw that away to be the whipping boy for the Lebron media machine, which is what this job is at this point.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,884

Post#24 » by jkvonny » Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 pm

JJ Redick or Sam Cassell for sure.

Whoever the Lakers hire, most likely will be fired within a few seasons anyways. Scapegoats.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,784

Post#25 » by JayMKE » Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 pm

Memories wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Redick hasn’t ever coached, IDK why his name keeps coming up for jobs.

Sam Cassell has put in a ton of work as an assistant in a couple different places, ex player and big personality so think he could be good fit for Lakers/Lebron of the names listed but yea he’d be a first time HC.

Darvin Ham was an assistant for over 10+ years. Look at how he turned out.

Putting in a lot of work as an assistant doesn't mean much. If he were ready as a coach, why did no one hire him eariler?

I think Ham maybe got a bum rap but the Bucks signed Adrian Griffin under similar circumstances so I get where you’re coming from, I just like Sam Cassell tho. Every great HC has to be a first timer somewhere
FREE GIANNIS
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,155

Post#27 » by FreeBird23 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:28 pm

Chris Quinn is intriguing. Spend 10 years as an assistant with Spo in Miami.

But I guess that Lebron would eat him alive
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,122

Post#28 » by JB2 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:54 pm

Memories wrote:It's gonna be Redick. And I'm gonna laugh.

They just hiring Lebron's buddies at this point and catering to his every whim.

Had the listened to LeBron to this point, Lue would be HC
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,976

Post#29 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue May 14, 2024 4:57 pm

Interesting how the Lakers aren't interested in hiring any coach that even a bit of cache to stand up to Lebron.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,041

Post#30 » by Curmudgeon » Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 pm

As I keep saying, LeBron needs to be the player-coach.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,969

Post#31 » by Memories » Tue May 14, 2024 5:04 pm

JB2 wrote:

They definitely changed since, since they decided to now listen to him by trading all their good role players and assets for Westbrick. :lol:
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,573

Post#32 » by og15 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:LA wants a Grinder
The leading candidate is Lebron's podcast buddy
Giggles

I like JJ. Smart, entertaining dude. But this has Steve Nash vibes. Star's buddy who sounds great in press conferences but with no proven leadership skills.

Yea, I like JJ too, but even for his own sake he shouldn't take this job lol

Curmudgeon wrote:As I keep saying, LeBron needs to be the player-coach.

As people have likely said in response, the CBA does not allow this
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,122

Post#33 » by JB2 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:07 pm

Memories wrote:
JB2 wrote:

They definitely changed since, since they decided to now listen to him by trading all their good role players and assets for Westbrick. :lol:

Ehh kinda. They know LeBron deserves some say, and they have given a lot of it to him/Klutch/AD, but they are selective about it and ironically listen to him at all the wrong times.

Shouldn't have listened on Ham
Should have listed on Lue

Shouldn't have listened on Russ
Should've listened on Kyrie
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,126

Post#34 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 14, 2024 5:12 pm

I think it's going to be Cassell. I can see him having a similar trajectory as Ty Lue with Lebron.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,126

Post#35 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 14, 2024 5:14 pm

I know you meant this in a negative way, but catering to Lebron's every whim has brough each franchise he has played for a championship. Who wouldn't take that, even with all the negatives it brings?
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,968

Post#36 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 pm

Feels like Sam Cassell would be the best outcome.

JJ is just too inexperienced.

Borrego is experienced, but he didn't really do much in Charlotte.

Cassell paid his dues, it's his time to get a fair HC spot.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,723

Post#37 » by shi-woo » Tue May 14, 2024 5:31 pm

Glad to see Sam's name on this list, honestly think it's been long overdue considering he's wanted a HC job for years. He was a solid player, played on multiple championship teams with ATG's winning 3 rings, and was a part of the best teams HOU, BOS, LAC, and MIN have had in quite some time. Studied under Flip and Doc, and is essentially another Doc protege in that regard, so you know he will be a players coach.

He has ties to the LA area too, so I think it's a great match.

Borrego is a joke right, to make it seem like they are looking at more than just two candidates? Dude is the definition of mediocre, and isn't the right guy for this job.

JJ is meme worthy as well. I call him the Joe Rogan of the basketball world, in that people think he's smarter than he is just because he has the loudest voice in the room given his podcast, and is really the first of his kind. I think he could become a great head coach one day, but not right out of the booth.

If JJ is hired, and maybe the interview with LEBron a week ago was foreshadowing, but it would essentially be a tell that LeBron is going to be the player coach. I would hate being any player on that team not named LBJ or Davis. It's like the reverse of playing with the coaches son...

If these are the guys, Sam is getting his call and i'll be happy for it
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,487

Post#38 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 14, 2024 5:34 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Why would the Lakers go for a first year coach when they’re trying to compete?

Bc that coach is a top basketball analyst for the esteemed ESPN. Add in the fact that he advanced stat friendly and you get the best man for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The best man for the job without a doubt is big balls Sam Cassell. He has experience running a team as a PG, he has championship rings, he has been an assistant and he is presently part of the coaching staff that has the Celtics playing extremely well. It really should be a simple choice.

The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 628

Post#39 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Tue May 14, 2024 6:14 pm

og15 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:LA wants a Grinder
The leading candidate is Lebron's podcast buddy
Giggles

I like JJ. Smart, entertaining dude. But this has Steve Nash vibes. Star's buddy who sounds great in press conferences but with no proven leadership skills.

Yea, I like JJ too, but even for his own sake he shouldn't take this job lol

Curmudgeon wrote:As I keep saying, LeBron needs to be the player-coach.

As people have likely said in response, the CBA does not allow this

"Hey guys welcome back to the old man and the 3, were live from the Lakers time out huddle, taking subscriber DMs for what adjustments to make for Dlo going 0-7 once again"

Idk dude what are the Lakers doing here. JJ needs to go coach some middle of the pack team or a rebuild. He could be really good but this feels like the upside/downside potential of Steve Nash at HC. Concerning.
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 536

Post#40 » by swyftdahoe » Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 pm

Sam Cassell's one of my favorite non-superstar players of all time. Would love to see how he does as a HC.

Return to The General Board