OT: Will Caitlin Clark’s debut outdraw tonight’s games

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Will Clark’s debut outdraw tonight’s playoff games?

yes
28%
no
72%

Total votes: 112

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,743

Re: OT: Will Caitlin Clark’s debut outdraw tonight’s games 

Post#21 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 14, 2024 10:09 pm

No unless they fudge the numbers. I hate to say it but the gambling aspect alone for a NBA playoff game will itself outdraw her debut. That being said I think this will at the same time be the highest viewed WNBA game to this point by quite a margin.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,353

Post#22 » by bisme37 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:11 pm

FYI we have WNBA forum now. Seems like there are a lot of eyes on women's basketball right now so feel free to join the discussion.

viewforum.php?f=472
TinmanZBoy
General Manager
And1: 4,851

Post#23 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed May 15, 2024 12:26 am

Not looking good
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#24 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 12:32 am

A 2 page thread yeah the hype is done.
islandkid12
Senior
And1: 681

Post#25 » by islandkid12 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:39 am

Nah I caught the beginning of Fever v Sun but I'll just catch the highlights aftwards. The CC hype will die off probably
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,105

Post#26 » by danvato » Wed May 15, 2024 12:41 am

Anyone watching WNBA instead of NBA playoffs shouldn't be posting on this board. Full stop.

Also, there is a WNBA board here, you should discuss WNBA there.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,346

Post#27 » by KembaWalker » Wed May 15, 2024 12:42 am

yeah i said before they needed Caitlin out here running Harden ball and going for 50 point games nightly if they wanted to keep the hype goin
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#28 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 12:51 am

It might. Probably outdraw nhl game, which is gonna make NHL fans apoplectic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#29 » by sikma42 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:03 am

danvato wrote:Anyone watching WNBA instead of NBA playoffs shouldn't be posting on this board. Full stop.

From a neutral fan perspective, the Knicks series isn’t really interesting to me. Both teams have no shot at winning anything.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,350

Post#30 » by shrink » Wed May 15, 2024 1:03 am

One thing I really like in this game is that the refs call fouls without any regard to whether a player is a star.

NBA refs should take note.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,595

Post#31 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:06 am

^ that is what I was about to say...Clark got away with some foul baiting in NCAA, she is trying to play this like Harden, Brunson, etc going after every foul and the Refs are calling the game like it supposed to be and it has frustrated her, she isn't comfortable or coddled anymore which is nice to see! I mean she has 8ish turnovers already and only 10pts, clearly she doesn't understand the actual rules right now
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#32 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 1:09 am

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:^ that is what I was about to say...Clark got away with some foul baiting in NCAA, she is trying to play this like Harden, Brunson, etc going after every foul and the Refs are calling the game like it supposed to be and it has frustrated her, she isn't comfortable or coddled anymore which is nice to see! I mean she has 8ish turnovers already and only 10pts, clearly she doesn't understand the actual rules right now

Nah let's just keep it real...

Grown women with families to feed. 8-)
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,548

Post#33 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 15, 2024 1:22 am

Tried watching and then slapped myself for even thinking of missing a nba playoff game for that.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,350

Post#34 » by shrink » Wed May 15, 2024 1:23 am

I was really just pointing out that Clark was called for two quick brush fouls, that were fouls, but ones you’d never see an NBA star get called for.

In the NBA, we make the argument, “well, fans didn’t pay to see <insert star> ride the bench!” But many of those same fans at Clark’s first game paid a lot to see Clark. I like that the refs didn’t let that fact influence the way they called fouls.

Part of the reason that the NBA is at a low point in people’s trust in the system is because they think they see biased officiating. I think part of that is true, and removing “superstar calls” would be a good first step to help improve the NBA’s reputation.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 628

Post#35 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Wed May 15, 2024 2:54 am

shrink wrote:I was really just pointing out that Clark was called for two quick brush fouls, that were fouls, but ones you’d never see an NBA star get called for.

In the NBA, we make the argument, “well, fans didn’t pay to see <insert star> ride the bench!” But many of those same fans at Clark’s first game paid a lot to see Clark. I like that the refs didn’t let that fact influence the way they called fouls.

Part of the reason that the NBA is at a low point in people’s trust in the system is because they think they see biased officiating. I think part of that is true, and removing “superstar calls” would be a good first step to help improve the NBA’s reputation.

It's always interesting when I take a step back once in a while and watch any level of basketball outside of the NBA and be amazed at the way the game is treated. FIBA, WNBA, NCAA/NCAAW all seem more consistent and fair to me than many NBA games.

I remember once going to a local high school women's game and the coach tried a play where they wanted to see if they could get away with a moving screen and it got called immediately. NBA took years before they started to crackdown on it.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,570

Post#36 » by og15 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:58 am

shrink wrote:I was really just pointing out that Clark was called for two quick brush fouls, that were fouls, but ones you’d never see an NBA star get called for.

Someone needs to do a video analysis and data dive into superstar calls and sort of what's the actual rate of them / fact vs fiction / how relevant is it vs our perception. There are some things related to superstar calls that are simply volume related, that is, the superstars have the ball more, so it means more calls in general, which also means more weak calls, but then we are also more likely to ignore and or brush off that they also have far more missed calls and simply says things like "shouldn't have been called anyways".

The confounding factor are all those non superstars who are great at getting calls on offense (or avoiding on defense), and if their volume of touches increased, so would their calls volume. So how much of it is being a superstar or that many superstars are also more likely to be players who know the tricks, and they get more volume of touches?

Caitlyn is in game 1, there is generally going to be an adjustment period. Okay, so maybe some stuff that worked in NCAA doesn't work in the WNBA, but there will be stuff that works in the WNBA too, and if she has the skillset, wouldn't she just be able to adjust and learn the WNBA tricks? Then we'll say, "look, they adjusted to give her superstar calls", haha.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,842

Post#37 » by LordCovington33 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:19 am

danvato wrote:Anyone watching WNBA instead of NBA playoffs shouldn't be posting on this board. Full stop.

In all fairness, the Knicks game was pretty one-sided. I never watched the Caitlin match as I just stick to the NBA and some Euroleague, but surely it would have been more entertaining.

Edit: Just saw the result, it looks pretty one-sided too, though the score doesn’t always reflect the intensity of a match.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,842

Post#38 » by LordCovington33 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:25 am

bisme37 wrote:FYI we have WNBA forum now. Seems like there are a lot of eyes on women's basketball right now so feel free to join the discussion.

viewforum.php?f=472

Hopefully more people who wish to discuss the WNBA can go there and chat about the matches. I enjoy watching women’s college basketball, but there’s just so much sport to watch right now, especially with the playoffs and the premier league (football).
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,976

Post#39 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed May 15, 2024 3:27 am

Just checked the box score and discovered there’s a WNBA player with the name DeWanna Boner.

Gradey jersey swap, please.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,783

Post#40 » by JayMKE » Wed May 15, 2024 3:32 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:Just checked the box score and discovered there’s a WNBA player with the name DeWanna Boner.

Gradey jersey swap, please.

Its Bonner
FREE GIANNIS

Return to The General Board