Zach Edey dominated the NBA Combine (for the second time)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,270

Re: Zach Edey dominated the NBA Combine (for the second time) 

Post#21 » by FrodoBaggins » Tue May 14, 2024 8:42 pm

Frank Dux wrote:He’s still a weird prospect to me. I am surprised that his mobility metrics are better than Clingan, he seemed noticeably more mobile during the tourney. Clingan just seemed way bouncier and more fast twitch oriented than Edey.

I still think there’s a good chance he’s busts. Can he find a way not to be a complete liability in P&R coverage? Can he do anything on offense besides getting the ball dumped to down low (not an attractive modern NBA skill), can he do the little things? Set picks, roll man, etc.

He’s definitely compelling… especially as a bench supporting a guy like Wemby or Chet.

Sounds like you haven't watched much of him. He was an elite screener and PnR roll man. 1.54 ppp, 8% frequency, 94th percentile as a PnR roll man this season. Monstrous offensive rebounder.

Trust me, offense is the least of his concerns. Has all the makings of being an elite rim-runner who can actually destroy switches/mismatches/small lineups and be a guy you can throw the ball to in a broken play. And hit free throws.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,711

Post#22 » by PlatinumState » Tue May 14, 2024 8:49 pm

Literally means nothing.

Last year a player had these numbers in the agility part of the combine
10.93 - 3.34 26.0 30.5
Spoiler:
That was Drew Timme

Edey wherever he gets drafted is gonna spend most of the season in the g league, he's too slow for the nba

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility?SeasonYear=2023-24&dir=A&sort=LANE_AGILITY_TIME
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,936

Post#23 » by TheSuzerain » Tue May 14, 2024 8:56 pm

Frank Dux wrote:He’s still a weird prospect to me. I am surprised that his mobility metrics are better than Clingan, he seemed noticeably more mobile during the tourney. Clingan just seemed way bouncier and more fast twitch oriented than Edey.

I still think there’s a good chance he’s busts. Can he find a way not to be a complete liability in P&R coverage? Can he do anything on offense besides getting the ball dumped to down low (not an attractive modern NBA skill), can he do the little things? Set picks, roll man, etc.

He’s definitely compelling… especially as a bench supporting a guy like Wemby or Chet.

Clingan is bouncier for sure and can somehow bound off 1 foot at the end of his movements. This is rare for any 7 footer with decent size.

But Edey looks to have "normal" movement skills for a 7-footer which is much better than people were claiming. His success on defense will come down to effort/execution rather than physical limitations.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#24 » by FrodoBaggins » Tue May 14, 2024 8:56 pm

PlatinumState wrote:Literally means nothing.

Last year a player had these numbers in the agility part of the combine
10.93 - 3.34 26.0 30.5
Spoiler:
That was Drew Timme

Edey wherever he gets drafted is gonna spend most of the season in the g league, he's too slow for the nba

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility?SeasonYear=2023-24&dir=A&sort=LANE_AGILITY_TIME

Drew Timme is an undersized center and should not be compared to Edey at all. Guys like Garza, Tschiewbe, and Timme are stupid comparisons to Edey. They're all very small centers.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,160

Post#25 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 14, 2024 9:06 pm

He's the definition of a 2nd round pick, probably has nothing to offer but there are glimmers of hope that make him worth a flyer.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,651

Post#26 » by peZt » Tue May 14, 2024 9:25 pm

That's why numbers dont mean anything. I really dont get americans obsession with the combine. What exactly do these numbers change? You've had 4 years to watch this dude, why would any numbers change what he has shown in those 4 years?

These numbers and the combine can be helpful for players who nobody has ever seen. To give you a hint about his game, if you dont have any other points to go by. But you've had a chance to watch all this guys play. You know if he is fast enough or not.

I really dont get it.

Why do people give a damn about someone's official wingspan in the combine? They believe wingspan measurements can give you a hint wether they can defend or not. But you have seen him play. You already know the answer. Why would an official measurement change anything about how that particular player defended the last 4 years?
Look at his tape of the last 4 years. Was he a good defender? Did his length give him struggles defending? That's your answer to the question, not some meaningless numbers from the combine. Or do you think he will suddenly be a different player because his measurements turned out good? It's not the measurements that matter, its the product on the court
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by FrodoBaggins » Tue May 14, 2024 9:32 pm

peZt wrote:That's why numbers dont mean anything. I really dont get americans obsession with the combine. What exactly do these numbers change? You've had 4 years to watch this dude, why would any numbers change what he has shown in those 4 years?

These numbers and the combine can be helpful for players who nobody has ever seen. To give you a hint about his game, if you dont have any other points to go by. But you've had a chance to watch all this guys play. You know if he is fast enough or not.

I really dont get it.

Why do people give a damn about someone's official wingspan in the combine? They believe wingspan measurements can give you a hint wether they can defend or not. But you have seen him play. You already know the answer. Why would an official measurement change anything about how that particular player defended the last 4 years?
Look at his tape of the last 4 years. Was he a good defender? Did his length give him struggles defending? That's your answer to the question, not some meaningless numbers from the combine. Or do you think he will suddenly be a different player because his measurements turned out good? It's not the measurements that matter, its the product on the court

This is terrible logic.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Post#28 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm

peZt wrote:That's why numbers dont mean anything. I really dont get americans obsession with the combine. What exactly do these numbers change? You've had 4 years to watch this dude, why would any numbers change what he has shown in those 4 years?

I really dont get it.

The numbers matter.

The prospective draftee isn’t going to be playing against future dentists and car salesmen in the nba.

That higher level of competition means the prospective draftee will need to exhibit the traits most likely to lead to success as a pro. Some of those are tangible and easy to measure. Some aren’t.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,782

Post#29 » by JayMKE » Tue May 14, 2024 9:36 pm

I like Edey, I feel like guys like him would have been top 5 pick 10-20 years ago so its pretty crazy how guys like that are discounted now in the league.
FREE GIANNIS
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,743

Post#30 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 14, 2024 9:46 pm

JayMKE wrote:I like Edey, I feel like guys like him would have been top 5 pick 10-20 years ago so its pretty crazy how guys like that are discounted now in the league.

Running Backs agree.
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,882

Post#31 » by seanbig » Tue May 14, 2024 9:52 pm

His read and react isn’t tested in that test

But if he can hit the three then that will be HUGE
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Post#32 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm

JayMKE wrote:I like Edey, I feel like guys like him would have been top 5 pick 10-20 years ago so its pretty crazy how guys like that are discounted now in the league.

Agreed.

Hoping my team takes him at 14.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,119

Post#33 » by jordanwilliams6 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 pm

In this weak draft, he should probably go pretty high. The issues surrounding him aren't really that big. If he can really translate that 3 point shot into the NBA then you're looking at a Brook Lopez calibre sort of player which is more than worth a top 10 pick.

He might bust but so might so many prospects in this draft. There's actually some high potential here.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,895

Post#34 » by Jcity08 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:41 am

Depending on where he gets drafted I feel like Edey is going to be one if those guys fans wonder why he was overlooked. Like a really good role player that outperforms other players picked ahead of him.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,595

Post#35 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:43 am

That should show everyone right there that the combine "numbers" mean nothing....he "dominated" last year and they told him he was going to be a late 2nd rounder....he does it again this year and likely is a late lotto-mid round pick....
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#36 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 12:44 am

FrodoBaggins wrote:Official agility, speed, and power numbers:

Zach Edey

Lane agility time: 11.19 seconds
Shuttle run: 3.01 seconds
Three quarter sprint: 3.42 seconds
Standing vertical leap: 26"
Max vertical leap: 31.5"

Donovan Clingan

Lane agility time: 12.06 seconds
Shuttle run: 3.38 seconds
Three quarter sprint: 3.46 seconds
Standing vertical leap: 25.5"
Max vertical leap: 29"

Zach beat him in every category despite being two inches taller and weighing 17 pounds more. The lane agility and shuttle run weren't even close. Zach legitimately had the fourth and sixth-best times in those tests out of all the centers. Consider his size, stamina, and durability and he's a legitimate athletic freak.

His numbers were amazing last year and he just took it to another level this time around.

Clingan still going hire.

Edey’s instincts and reaction time aren’t there. Donovan also more mobile and a better passer.

We;ll see. I like Eddy. But if you think he is better for the NBA than Clingan then you are saying he should be the No. 1 pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TravisScott55
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,053

Post#37 » by TravisScott55 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:44 am

I wonder if his game will translate to the NBA.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,083

Post#38 » by mg » Wed May 15, 2024 12:46 am

I agree he would've been a top 10 pick just 15 years ago. Not every 5 in this league needs to be a switchy defender. He's not quite a stretch big but has just enough touch to make shots outside of 5 feet. Players such as Valanciunas, Zubac, and Hartenstein have a place in the league and I imagine so will Edey.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#39 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 15, 2024 12:49 am

JRoy wrote:

I really dont get it.

The numbers matter.

The prospective draftee isn’t going to be playing against future dentists and car salesmen in the nba.

That higher level of competition means the prospective draftee will need to exhibit the traits most likely to lead to success as a pro. Some of those are tangible and easy to measure. Some aren’t.

Numbers matter against the average. You don’t want a massively unathletic player. But someone in the agility drills that are near each other means nothing. It just means the player passes athletic test. Doesn’t predict anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,375

Post#40 » by Iwasawitness » Wed May 15, 2024 12:54 am

Did he hit 20 threes though?
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!

Return to The General Board