Wilt Chamberlains 100 point game

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,996

Post#21 » by Rich Rane » Sun Feb 3, 2008 3:31 am

akikan wrote:man, if that was true though, a guy that dunked from the freethrow line 28 times in one game, and still had enough energy to go 36 of 63 from the field for a full 48 minutes, that is freakin amazing

...and someone is complaining about this...why?

Does anyone know if those last 46 seconds were played?
e4Nf6
Starter
And1: 1

Post#22 » by e4Nf6 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:46 am

Wilt didn't dunk free throws in that game but, his team did intentionally foul to get the ball back more quickly so they could cynically pursue the record...

It's tarnished a bit in my mind for that reason, I think Kobe's 81 is more impressive because that was a real game.
z_from_kc
Rookie
And1: 72

Post#23 » by z_from_kc » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:14 am

J~Rush wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Im not saying he couldn't dunk from the foul stripe, just saying he didn't do it on his free throw attempts in any NBA game. THe ball has to be realeased from behind the stripe to count. Commen sense should tell us that.
z_from_kc
Rookie
And1: 72

Post#24 » by z_from_kc » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:15 am

J~Rush wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Im not saying he couldn't dunk from the foul stripe, just saying he didn't do it on his free throw attempts in any NBA game. THe ball has to be realeased from behind the stripe to count. Commen sense should tell us that.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,975

Post#25 » by INKtastic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:24 am

NumeroUn0 wrote:Well my friend said that he did do it, and I was'nt sure, so I looked for something about it and was able to find it. Like I said I don't know for sure, but the fact that I was able to find something to prove my friends word on this, lends credability to the charge for me. I will have to ask my friend agian, did he actually see this.

I just talked to him and he said that just by looking at his free throw % in that game that he was probally doing it in that game but there is no film on it and it had been known that he was doing it and they did change the rules after that season. The only way to know is to talk to someone who was at that game.

I've given the answer twice already. The rule was changed before Wilt went to college because he was doing this in high school.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
10scott10
Veteran
And1: 40

Post#26 » by 10scott10 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:39 am

NetsForce wrote:If you look it up you can find old articles on ESPN and what not stating that Wilt could dunk from the free throw line, and did so in games.

There's also supposedly audio of the game out there, I'm not sure where you could obtain it though. It would be interesting to listen to the reactions of the announcers though.

I have actually heard it.

in some book on him, the audiobook version of it off of itunes also has the broadcast of the fourth quarter. the mention him bricking free-throws. so i doubt he was bricking dunks. they would have mentoined dunking which they didn't. I remember that the announcer was pissed at wilt for taking so many jumprs towards the end though, cause he was missing the ones that would have put him at 100.
$$D-Block$$
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by $$D-Block$$ » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:49 am

e4Nf6 wrote:Wilt didn't dunk free throws in that game but, his team did intentionally foul to get the ball back more quickly so they could cynically pursue the record...

It's tarnished a bit in my mind for that reason, I think Kobe's 81 is more impressive because that was a real game.

Well, according to one of the officials at the game, the Knicks were all over any player not named Wilt. So in order to even it out, the Warrior's had to foul as well to give Wilt a chance. I don't see it tarnished at all.
MalReyn
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#28 » by MalReyn » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:17 am

Rich Rane wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Does anyone know if those last 46 seconds were played?

Nope, no one does. Lots of conflicting reports. There's no question a mob rushed the floor after his 100th point was scored. But some maintain that was the end, and order never restored to finish the game. Others say that after a ~10 minute break they finally finished up the game.

There were only about 4,000 people in the stands that day (the game was played in a tiny arena in Hershey Park), and of course no TV of the game. Radio broadcast doesn't have the final seconds if they occurred.

At this point, 45 years after the event, if someone comes forward claiming they unequivocally know the final 46 seconds were played, no one would believe them.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#29 » by 99 Problems » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:33 am

Not that impressive in terms of today's game... No way Wilt could score that much now... bush-league atmosphere, undersized big men, no 3 second rule... Kobe's 81 is just way more impressive IMO...
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by INKtastic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:52 am

Warya wrote:Not that impressive in terms of today's game... No way Wilt could score that much now... bush-league atmosphere, undersized big men, no 3 second rule... Kobe's 81 is just way more impressive IMO...

you are confused. The offensive 3 second rule introduced in the 30s. It was the defense who didn't have a 3 second rule when Wilt came into the league. That rule was changed because of Wilt's shot blocking.

And undersized big men relative to who? There are plenty of starting centers in the league who are shorter than the center wilt scored his 100 points against.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Re: Wilt Chamberlains 100 point game 

Post#31 » by Point forward » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:53 am

NumeroUn0 wrote:I posted this on the Magic forum. Someone said to post it here as well.

I thought some of you might find this interesting. I was getting hammered with a friend last night and we started talking some basketball. He was telling me about how in Wilts 100 point game. Wilt was allowed to jump from the free throw line and dunk the ball on free throw attempts. He said no one ever talks about it when they talk about his 100 point game. I did'nt know if it was true so I did some research and found this blog. The guy who wrote it definetly has a problem with Wilt, but I thought some of you might get a kick out of ths so,
Here is a qoute from this blog
"Chamberlain 48 minutes 36 of 63 field goals, 28 of 32 free throws.(that season Chamberlain was allowed to leap from the free throw line and dunk free throws.The rule was changed the following season and he quickly became one of the worst free throwers in history)"

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/du..._AINT_GOO

This is, sorry to say it, TOTAL NONSENSE. Read the fanstastic book "Wilt: Larger Than Life" by Robert Cherry, pages 109 to 115. There, you will find the most comprehensive insight on the 100 pt game. Here are some FACTS about the game instead of just bla bla bla.

* Wilt did not have any sleep and was hung over prior to his 100 pt game. He was out partying all night, because at that time late in the season, the Warriors ware down by 9.5 games to the Celtics, and they were just as far away from 3rd place. So, he partied in NY, boarded a train (!) to Hershey while forced to stay up because he was afraid to fall asleep and would wake up somewhere in Virginia.

* Hersheypark Arena was totally run down, dimply lit damp arena unfit to host a high school game. It reeked of chocolate, so far that many players felt physically ill to stay in the arena. A score of 80-60 would have been much more realistic than 160-140.

* Wilt was known to wear rubber bands around his wrists, so he could grab one to hold up his knee socks when they slipped. The Knicks decided to mock him by also wearing rubber bands on their wrists. They got Wilt REALLY angry.

* The dunk-FT story is nonsense. Wilt was a crap FT shooter all his life, but on that night, he hit 28 of 32 THE NORMAL WAY. What DID help Wilt was the fact that the hoops were extremely soft. When Wilt shot his legendary bad no-follow-through FTs, they bounced back in instead of out.

* All the game, Wilt was triple-, quadrupled- and even quintuple-teamed, and the Knicks were just fouling
writerman
Banned User

LOL... 

Post#32 » by writerman » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:03 pm

Warya wrote:Not that impressive in terms of today's game... No way Wilt could score that much now... bush-league atmosphere, undersized big men, no 3 second rule... Kobe's 81 is just way more impressive IMO...

It would be harder today because of the slower pace of the game...but tell me, in your great wisdom--what center (or entire frontcourt, for that matter) playing today would be able to stop a prime Wilt from scoring whenever he wanted if he had a half-arse decent PG to get him the ball?

In case you're stumped, I'll help you: there's no one. especially in this era pathetically weak at the center position.

Actually, in this era where the interpretation of every rule has been Jordanized to favor wing players and when breathing on them (touch fouls) are called much more frequently than in the past (as compared to Wilt getting mugged by a minimum of two and much more often three opponents every time he touched the ball) it's Kobe's 81 that is much less impressive than the raw number alone would suggest.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#33 » by G35 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:59 pm

writerman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It would be harder today because of the slower pace of the game...but tell me, in your great wisdom--what center (or entire frontcourt, for that matter) playing today would be able to stop a prime Wilt from scoring whenever he wanted if he had a half-arse decent PG to get him the ball?

In case you're stumped, I'll help you: there's no one. especially in this era pathetically weak at the center position.

Actually, in this era where the interpretation of every rule has been Jordanized to favor wing players and when breathing on them (touch fouls) are called much more frequently than in the past (as compared to Wilt getting mugged by a minimum of two and much more often three opponents every time he touched the ball) it's Kobe's 81 that is much less impressive than the raw number alone would suggest.

You have such a bitter attitude.

Point forward wrote:* All the game, Wilt was triple-, quadrupled- and even quintuple-teamed, and the Knicks were just fouling
I'm so tired of the typical......
writerman
Banned User

Post#34 » by writerman » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:46 pm

G35 wrote:
In todays game Charlotte could stop that alley oop with Emeka Okafor fronting Wilt and Gerald Wallace tipping any lob pass with his great leaping ability.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The funniest thing is that you actually believe that...
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by INKtastic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:38 pm

G35 wrote:I know this is probably trying to show how great Wilt is but imo that just shows how inferior the competition was. If you double team players now they give up the ball. Triple team is an obvious situation where even Shaq wouldn't be able to score. A quintuple team?!?! And he gets an alley oop dunk? C'mon that's some garbage defense.

you really have no idea what you are talking about. It's a shame that games weren't all video recored back in wilt's day like they are today.

My uncle told me he saw one game where Wilt was playing the Washington Bullets. Wes Unseld grabs one arm, Elvin Hayes grabs his other arm, Wilt is strong enough that he lifts both of them off the ground and dunks anyway. ANd you think Emeca Okafor is going to stop him? And Gerald Wallace couldn't jump higher than Wilt.
technologic
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#36 » by technologic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:42 pm

My uncle told me not to believe the bull other people say about Wilt. He was a great basketball player but not superhuman. He hyped the crazy, false stories about himself.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by INKtastic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:45 pm

Then I saw him dunk a ball so hard that it hit the court and bounced straight up back through the rim again."

--Bob Ferry

"I still remember the time when one of our strongest men, Gene Conley, decided to fight Chamberlain for the ball. He grabbed it and hung on and Chamberlain just lifted him and ball right up towards the rim."

-- Bill Russell

"Once Wilt got upset with me and dunked the ball so hard it went through the rim with such force that it broke my toe as it hit the floor."

--Johnny Kerr

"One year when Wilt was holding out on the 76ers," Stram said, "we invited him to an early training camp in the Catskills." This was when Stram's Kansas City Chiefs were an NFL dynasty in the making. "First thing we did was run him 40 yards."

Wilt ran in slacks and bare feet. He outsprinted the Chiefs' best running back, Curtis McClinton.

"Then we threw some passes, and Wilt went over the goal posts to get 'em," Stram said. "By now, I'm getting excited."

Only one problem.

"When we were done, Wilt said it'd been fun, but he really wanted to be our quarterback," Stram said.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by INKtastic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:47 pm

technologic wrote:My uncle told me not to believe the bull other people say about Wilt. He was a great basketball player but not superhuman. He hyped the crazy, false stories about himself.

My uncle is a pastor and a basketball nut like me, he's not going to make stuff up.
Kobay
General Manager

Post#39 » by Kobay » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:50 pm

hell he scored..what around 10k with women? Logic tells me that he came from another planet and him being able score as much in basketball as well is not a surprise. Dude was born to score
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by INKtastic » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:50 pm

Return to The General Board