3 point shooting competition contestents

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#21 » by A.J. » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:44 pm

wtf? no james jones?

oh well, ill take gibson for this one
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#22 » by LakerFanMan » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:46 pm

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
No one is going to watch those 3 players. Everyone will watch because of Kobe. It's all about business.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's really not about the best 3pt shooters, it's about getting people to watch. Kobe is an average 3pt shooter, definitly not one of the best. But how many of those other guys are going to draw the attention that Kobe will? It's one of the reasons, in my opinion, guys who are more deserving of the all star game don't always make it over guys who have bigger names.
doogul
Rookie
And1: 50

Post#23 » by doogul » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:55 pm

James Jones is out until after the all-star break with a knee injury, so it's possible he was invited but declined because of it. It's not surprising that he's not in the contest. Whether or not he was really invited though, I don't care. I'm actually kind of excited to see how Kobe does in the contest honestly!
Grey
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#24 » by Grey » Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:56 pm

rim_killa wrote:why is rip in the contest please tell WHY?

Maybe it's because he led the NBA in 3pt shooting percentage last season, and is currently number 6.

It also helps that he publicly challenged his pal Kobe prior to last week's game against the Lakers.
Mr. Savage
Banned User

Post#25 » by Mr. Savage » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:01 pm

T.Duncan21 wrote:I don't give a crap if Parker, Jones and J-Rich don't make it. I'd rather see Tmac, Vince, Kobe, Lebron in the 3 point shootout than have these those guys.

Thanks. Now close this thread.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#26 » by Jack wore plaid » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:04 pm

Steve Blake should have made it. he is 8th in the league. Not over Anthony Parker though. Maybe as a replacement for Jones since they are on the same team.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#27 » by tkb » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:18 pm

D-Wags#13 wrote:but i would have loved j rich in the competition.
he could have been the first player to win both the dunk and the three contest.

Kobe can win both the same way J-Rich can, so if your argument is just to see if someone has won the dunk contest can win the shootout you shouldn't have a problem with Kobe there.

My money is on Nash or Kapono btw (both top 6 in career 3P% all time), but if Kobe gets hot anything can happen.
D-Wags#13
Rookie

Post#28 » by D-Wags#13 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:22 pm

tkb wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Kobe can win both the same way J-Rich can, so if your argument is just to see if someone has won the dunk contest can win the shootout you shouldn't have a problem with Kobe there.

My money is on Nash or Kapono btw (both top 6 in career 3P% all time), but if Kobe gets hot anything can happen.

lol yea, u're right. i completely forget about kobe winning the dunk contest. also brent berry did that before like someone stated. so i guess i have no point.
would have liked jrich though. :wink:
xstockholmsyndromex
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#29 » by xstockholmsyndromex » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:25 pm

I really wanted to see Kyle Korver in it, especially after the barrage of 3's he dropped on NO's the other night.
Boner Champ
Bench Warmer
And1: 8

Post#30 » by Boner Champ » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:26 pm

T.Duncan21 wrote:I don't give a crap if Parker, Jones and J-Rich don't make it. I'd rather see Tmac, Vince, Kobe, Lebron in the 3 point shootout than have these those guys.

Seriously?

If you're watching the 3-point contest, don't you want to watch the best demonstrate their ability?

Why not include Nash & Paul in the dunk contest? they're among the best players in the league. Hell, if you look at past winners, by your reasoning the contest would include Dirk & Duncan.
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#31 » by srt4b » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:27 pm

Stalker wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Seriously?

If you're watching the 3-point contest, don't you want to watch the best demonstrate their ability?

Why not include Nash & Paul in the dunk contest? they're among the best players in the league. Hell, if you look at past winners, by your reasoning the contest would include Dirk & Duncan.

We are not talking about the Finals here, this is for fun. We want fun & entertaining guys out there.
Mr. Savage
Banned User

Post#32 » by Mr. Savage » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:32 pm

Stalker wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because the dunks in the dunk contest are an act of creativity, while a three point shot is a three point shot.

And it's not like they invited Shaq for the shootout.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#33 » by evilRyu » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:35 pm

Grey wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe it's because he led the NBA in 3pt shooting percentage last season, and is currently number 6.

It also helps that he publicly challenged his pal Kobe prior to last week's game against the Lakers.

Uh........ Rip shot a horrible 34.1% from three last season, I have no idea what you are talking about. He wasn't even top-80 last season.

You do know Kapono shot over 50% right?
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#34 » by Egg Nog » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:36 pm

Grey wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Kapono led last year.

The NBA is about watching the best of the best. There is no good reason why the 3-point shootout shouldn't be the same thing.

Anthony Parker was #4 last year and #2 this year, shooting almost 50%. If he keeps it up, he will statistically be the #3 all-time 3-point shooter by the end of the year, giving Steve Kerr a run for his money at #2.

We all want to see the best of the best do what they're most capable of doing.
Boner Champ
Bench Warmer
And1: 8

Post#35 » by Boner Champ » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:37 pm

Mr. Savage wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because the dunks in the dunk contest are an act of creativity, while a three point shot is a three point shot.

And it's not like they invited Shaq for the shootout.

True, but IMHO its more exciting to watch someone try to drain 23 of 25 than it is to watch Kobe or Lebron drop 15-16 (yeah, yeah, anything can happen).

During a real game, when they're creating their own shot, however, is totally different.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#36 » by hayden » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:42 pm

Can't believe you guys are complaining about seeing Kobe in the 3pt contest. You guys should be happy. If you are a Kobe fan, you can see him in an event that is new to him, and if you are not, you can cheer against him. And it's not like he's taking away a spot from some star who is getting snubbed. BTW, this is the all-star weekend... not best performance by role player weekend. Also, let's not kid ourselves, Kobe is one of the best clutch 3pt shooters in the game... it would be fun to see how he performs uncontested in competition.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
Triangle Theory
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by Triangle Theory » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:51 pm

Thank you Hayden
BRINGTHEPAIN wrote:Paul is the best player in the NBA. Nobody does it better at both ends.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Parasight
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#38 » by Parasight » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:58 pm

Those of you defending the decisions, saying it's purely a business move, explain to me this. How can you be "entertaining" in a 3PT Contest? Sure Gilbert Arenas threw up his one-handed shots last year, but come on gimmicks die quick. Somewhere along the line the meaning of the 3PT Contest lost itself. Competition is entertaining. This is why I would love to see them bring back the split-screen where two guys go at the same time Head-to-Head.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#39 » by Cruel_Ruin » Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:01 pm

I'm guaranteeing Peja will win his third title.

Book it.
keepthenetsinnj
Junior

Post#40 » by keepthenetsinnj » Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:01 pm

rim_killa wrote:why is rip in the contest please tell WHY?

no james jones
anthony parker
jason richardson

at least take out nash since he's already in that skills contest

Nash is not in the Skills Challenge this year. It's Kidd, Wade, Paul, and Deron.

As for the 3 point shootout, a Kobe vs. Nash final would be sick!!

Return to The General Board