Sam Smith - Lebron Gets Star Treatment

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

SoulJah
Rookie
And1: 513

Re: Sam Smith - Lebron Gets Star Treatment 

Post#21 » by SoulJah » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:29 pm

we all know how nba is hanging from LeBron's sack since he came to league.. so whats new?
sdeezy
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#22 » by sdeezy » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:31 pm

Forest wrote:Who the hell wants to watch a game with Lebron James on the bench in foul trouble?

This. That's all it comes down to. Its not fair but the league doesnt want Lebron in foul trouble.
montestewart wrote:Blatche and McGee standing next to Boozer and Thomas reminded me of first-time offenders meeting real cons in a "scared straight" program.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,840

Post#23 » by infinite11285 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:32 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:Sam Smith needs to back his argument with some examples, or some sort of evidence. You can't just throw numbers out there, without proof of LeBron getting away with fouls at the rate he's suggesting, and expect anyone to take his argument seriously. Without proof, what he believes in his mind to be "facts" are just mere opinions. What Sam SMith is doing is the same thing most RealGm'ers do on a nightly basis.

You mean like the block on Richardson which was clearly a foul? It's not exactly a secret that Lebron gets star treatment. The same could be said of Wade when it comes to drawing fouls. Interstingly, guys like Kobe, Shaq, and Dwight don't get these calls very much.

That one call against Richardson is a good example Sam Smith could have used. However that one example does not cover his argument that LeBron is getting away with foul calls at the rate he is suggesting.
CoolD
Lead Assistant
And1: 971

Post#24 » by CoolD » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:33 pm

It actually probably means, LeBron is getting a reputation for playing defense. Detroit Pistons back in the days, were one of the most physical teams. They had the least amount of calls call on them. Boston seems to foul on every play, though I don't mind it much. I see Dwight Howard jump over players backs, hit players bodies in the air, but because he is supposed to be now a top defender, he is allowed to do this. Though, I actually think, the game should be called, with less obnoxious ticky tack calls. But if you watch a guy like Chalmers, anything that remotely looks like a foul, he will get called for it. Sometimes he can be 3 feet away from the player, and still get called for a foul, just for being too close to a player.

It is kind of annoying, some guys are allowed to actually play defense, and some aren't. I have no beef, with players not getting called for every foul, but when only a selective few are allowed to play 90's type of defense, but LeBron is not the only one. Sometimes a whole team, like the Boston Celtics is given this liberty too.
jzmagik
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by jzmagik » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:35 pm

The worst is Kobe at the end of a close game, fouling the **** out of anyone. He just hacks away at his man's arms going for a homerun steal, and the refs swallow their whistle...
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#26 » by Flash3 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:36 pm

OdenRoyLMA2 wrote:
Flash3 wrote:A superstar getting star treatment?

SHOCKING! :o

There should be no such thing as star treatment. Every player should be reffed the same. Period.

you're speaking to the choir. welcome to a cpl of years ago.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant
And1: 64

Post#27 » by FlashTheKilla » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:37 pm

sdeezy wrote:
Forest wrote:Who the hell wants to watch a game with Lebron James on the bench in foul trouble?

This. That's all it comes down to. Its not fair but the league doesnt want Lebron in foul trouble.

I agree with this. For the fans and media, LeBron never fouling out just means we get to watch more LeBron, which is awesome. We are witnessing one of the greatest players to ever play the game (possibly).

However, this comes at the price of compromised integrity of the game.

It's a tradeoff. You want to see a 6'9 beast put on a show in the 4th quarter or do you want the game played the right way?
heh8me2
Junior

Post#28 » by heh8me2 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:42 pm

really just GO AWAY if you are complaining about foul calls and refs.

stop watching the game if its so abhorrent to you.

Stop whining and complaining about it all the time its ridiculously annoying.

but for someone who still likes the NBA I don't want to nor should I have to hear all these bull conspiracy theories.

its worse than watching an LooseChange shamockumentary
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#29 » by basketball royalty » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:44 pm

Big deal, it pisses me off more on the other end when if you breath on a superstar he gets a whistle but if Joe Schmoe from the middle of the bench get hammered he is laughed at by teh ref when he says something. I mean to an extent I can see giving a guy more respect or benefit of the doubt because you have seen him do amazing things before but it irks me when you have a young guy or some hard working guy trying his best and clearly get the best of the situation being unfairly punked.
props to Turbozone for the sig
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 414

Post#30 » by CzBoobie » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:52 pm

Zomg, Derrick Rose is averaging LESS fouls than LeBron James...and he is a rookie! Star treatment at its best.
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#31 » by Orium » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:53 pm

People complain about the way NBA games are refed, superstar treatment etc.. But we, the fans, are the cause of it. It's what the vast majority of NBA fans really want, whether they acknowledge it or not. We all want that huge star player on our team, and if they don't get the calls then we bitch. Some other teams star?.. and it's horrible officiating.

They're giving us exactly what we want.
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
TrueRain
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#32 » by TrueRain » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:58 pm

but..but....but Wade gets away with everything!

Why do people still complain about these things? Nothing's going to change.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,662

Post#33 » by Baphomet » Mon Apr 6, 2009 4:58 pm

infinite11285 wrote:The same LeBron that was called for a BS foul with .4 seconds on the clock to lose against Indiana?

I guess you missed the ridiculous call he got in his favor half a second prior to this. Indiana deserved to win that game after TJ Ford's shot, though the two bogus calls at the end sullied what was a decent game otherwise.
NorthStars
Sophomore

Post#34 » by NorthStars » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:21 pm

do you guys actually watch lebron play on tv? or do u spew out everything that the media says about lebron? lebron is an above average defender, nothing great. let's not give him too much credit for his defensive play
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#35 » by G35 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:30 pm

My opinion is LJ does get some superstar treatment but I think he is so overwhelmingly more athletic than the players he guards that he rarely gets challenged. Most players seem content to shoot over him than try to go around or thru him.

No I have no evidence or video but just my gut feeling......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#36 » by Orium » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:36 pm

G35 wrote:No I have no evidence or video but just my gut feeling......

You sound like a NBA referee
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
vinnycorleone
Banned User

Post#37 » by vinnycorleone » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:44 pm

I think it's obvious to everyone except Cav's fans that LeBron is not being ref'd the same way other players are.

I wish Kobe could get that treatment. Nothing against LeBron...he doesn't control the whistles. But it is unfair.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#38 » by Storm Surge » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:44 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
An Unbiased Fan wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:Sam Smith needs to back his argument with some examples, or some sort of evidence. You can't just throw numbers out there, without proof of LeBron getting away with fouls at the rate he's suggesting, and expect anyone to take his argument seriously. Without proof, what he believes in his mind to be "facts" are just mere opinions. What Sam SMith is doing is the same thing most RealGm'ers do on a nightly basis.

You mean like the block on Richardson which was clearly a foul? It's not exactly a secret that Lebron gets star treatment. The same could be said of Wade when it comes to drawing fouls. Interstingly, guys like Kobe, Shaq, and Dwight don't get these calls very much.

That one call against Richardson is a good example Sam Smith could have used. However that one example does not cover his argument that LeBron is getting away with foul calls at the rate he is suggesting.

Have you forgotten the two blatant travels LeBron committed in the PLAYOFFS a few years ago? They were on game winning shots, both of them. The NBA just wanted it's golden boy to be the hero so they didn't call it.
vinnycorleone
Banned User

Post#39 » by vinnycorleone » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:47 pm

I challenge Cav's fans to watch a Lakers game. Watch Kobe the entire game and see when he drives how they let the opposition MAUL him. When guys ride him to the hoop they let it go.

I blame a little bit of it on Kobe because he takes such difficult/off balance shots...that Ref's don't like to reward that. But there are times where he will drive to the hoop...his jersey is hanging out because its been pulled out. Someone's holding his hand. He flips it up with his LEFT hand makes it and the refs just look at him...

That bothers me so much. Because if you so much as lay a HAND on LeBron it's a foul.
The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#40 » by The Main Event » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:48 pm

Flash3 wrote:A superstar getting star treatment?

SHOCKING! :o
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley

Return to The General Board