Refs steal a possession from Pacers [Update]Official complaint filed for 78 Bad Calls

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,141

Re: Refs steal a possession from Pacers and gives it to Knicks, denies challenge in the last minute of the game 

Post#201 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 7, 2024 8:26 pm

ForeverTFC wrote: The NBA referee association has only publicly apologized once for a missed call, and it was an apology to Lebron and the Lakers.

Am I supposed to be big mad about this? I have no idea if that's actually true, but I can't imagine you'd lie about it, so taking your word for it, my reaction is just and?

I get it. The Mavs were a dominant team for a long time with Dirk. In a stretch where the Mavs were winning 70% of their games, they went an amazing 1-18 in games where Dan Crawford was a ref. That being statistically up and up is nearly impossible. Yet do I believe despite how much Stern clearly hated Cuban, that he was instructing Crawford to screw Dallas? I do not. Do I think the 06 Finals were stolen from Dallas by the refs? I absolutely do not. That whole season was over-officiated, Dirk shot almost as many FT's as Wade during that playoffs and Wade certainly more of an attacking player.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,837

Re: Refs steal a possession from Pacers and gives it to Knicks, denies challenge in the last minute of the game 

Post#202 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 7, 2024 8:27 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:This is just the rules. You can't review a kicked ball.

Had the refs reviewed it and reversed the call, they would have gone against the rules set by the NBA, and lost their credibility (and possibly their jobs) as NBA referees.

They made the wrong call. It just so happens this one wasn't reviewable.

You want them to be reviewable? Complain to Adam Silver and wait for a rule change to be implemented.

Philly fans stirring chit by complaining about supposed preferential treatment should just be quiet after everything Embiid got away with in the previous series.

All the stuff Embiid got away with?

Brunson got away with at least 3-5 of the Trae Young fouls (which has been outlawed), for a start. I was behind one of the baskets for Game 6 - it is a JOKE that DDV only had one foul called on him…while he acts like he was SHOT on that so-called “foul” on Turner.

Knicks fans should just STFU and accept the whistle they have been getting.

Seriously.

Yes, all the stuff Embiid got away with. Including the foul on Robinson, which warranted a 1-game suspension at minimum, stepping on Josh Hart's leg, which was obviously intentional as he was looking at him when it happened. His antics were dangerous and did it in fact result in a player getting injured - yet there were no repercussions. The elbow on Brunson was obviously intentional too. Let's stop the BS.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,123

Post#203 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 7, 2024 8:28 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
It may not be systemic bias for all the reasons you suggest but it's hard - in my opinion - to claim that individual bias is only a media phenomenon. The NBA referee association has only publicly apologized once for a missed call, and it was an apology to Lebron and the Lakers.

That isn't true. I'll try to find the quote but Stern acknowledged after Game 6 Kings-Lakers there were blown calls in LA's favor (specifically Kobe's elbow to Bibby). And the NBA issues a L2M report constantly pointing out errors.

The plain fact is the evidence the NBA fixes games or demonstrates a systemic bias towards the Lakers or in this case the Knicks isn't strong.

I never said it was systemic bias. In fact I agreed that there is likely very little of that. I said it is more likely to be personal bias.

And the L2M report and Stern are not the NBA Referees Association, so I'm not sure how the claim I made is not true?

my apologies for the mis-read but I still don't see that apalogy as some big deal. Lebron's FTR for his career is very low if the refs had an individual bias towards lebron
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,970

Post#204 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 7, 2024 8:30 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote: The NBA referee association has only publicly apologized once for a missed call, and it was an apology to Lebron and the Lakers.

Am I supposed to be big mad about this? I have no idea if that's actually true, but I can't imagine you'd lie about it, so taking your word for it, my reaction is just and?

I get it. The Mavs were a dominant team for a long time with Dirk. In a stretch where the Mavs were winning 70% of their games, they went an amazing 1-18 in games where Dan Crawford was a ref. That being statistically up and up is nearly impossible. Yet do I believe despite how much Stern clearly hated Cuban, that he was instructing Crawford to screw Dallas? I do not. Do I think the 06 Finals were stolen from Dallas by the refs? I absolutely do not. That whole season was over-officiated, Dirk shot almost as many FT's as Wade during that playoffs and Wade certainly more of an attacking player.

I don't think we disagree? Like I said, I don't believe it to be systemic. But the league executives and the referees are also people. So to me, it was weird to say that there is clear personal bias in the media but that kind of personal bias can't penetrate other aspects of the league. I don't think you have to be mad about any of this. I also don't think there is a massive conspiracy at play here. But I think it's also disingenuous to say that some teams do not benefit from more ad-hoc, individual baises. The superstar whistle exists for a reason.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,970

Post#205 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 7, 2024 8:34 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
That isn't true. I'll try to find the quote but Stern acknowledged after Game 6 Kings-Lakers there were blown calls in LA's favor (specifically Kobe's elbow to Bibby). And the NBA issues a L2M report constantly pointing out errors.

The plain fact is the evidence the NBA fixes games or demonstrates a systemic bias towards the Lakers or in this case the Knicks isn't strong.

I never said it was systemic bias. In fact I agreed that there is likely very little of that. I said it is more likely to be personal bias.

And the L2M report and Stern are not the NBA Referees Association, so I'm not sure how the claim I made is not true?

my apologies for the mis-read but I still don't see that apalogy as some big deal. Lebron's FTR for his career is very low if the refs had an individual bias towards lebron

Totally. It's probably because I'm doing a bad job explaining myself. Chuck said that the media amplifies certain teams due to their own personal bias. My point was that this type of bias can 1) also exist in other parts of the league and 2) put pressure on other parts of the league.

The association is very unlikely to apologize if it wasn't a prime time game with 2 prime time teams, with a missed call on the game winning shot by a marquee player. The same reason why they would apologize in this instance is the same reason why some teams/players may get a benefit of the doubt, because in the back of their mind, they are aware of the reaction depending on the team and player.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#206 » by cgf » Tue May 7, 2024 9:11 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
srhcan wrote:NBA badly wants Knicks to proceed as much as possible: East final, NBA final and finally NBA champion. But Knicks has lost lot of respect among NBA community because of all their foul baiting, flopping and referees repeatedly helping them. They might win this way but nobody will respect them.

lol what

LOL this.

Sixers fans complain about the refs. Knicks fans say they are just whining.

Pacers fans complain about the refs. Knicks fans say they are just whining.

Do you detect a pattern here?

And when the fan without a dog in the fight also thinks the Knicks are getting a ridiculous whistle, are they whining too?

Knicks fans should STFU, be happy they are getting the whistle they are getting these playoffs, and pray that they keep getting it.

Yeah. Pacers fans have been a lot better than 6ers fans, but I figured that was a midwestern-politeness thing :dontknow:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM

Post#207 » by cgf » Tue May 7, 2024 9:14 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Aren't all the media companies vying for the rights literally as we speak?

The league will do everything in their power to boost the ratings. Indy vs. Cleveland would be a disaster.

If you don't think the PO's are rigged for Boston & NYC you have a few screws lose

Man if the refs were trying to rig this game they're even more incompetent than we all think they are :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

cgf
RealGM

Post#208 » by cgf » Tue May 7, 2024 9:17 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:

Had the refs reviewed it and reversed the call, they would have gone against the rules set by the NBA, and lost their credibility (and possibly their jobs) as NBA referees.

You want them to be reviewable? Complain to Adam Silver and wait for a rule change to be implemented.

Philly fans stirring chit by complaining about supposed preferential treatment should just be quiet after everything Embiid got away with in the previous series.

All the stuff Embiid got away with?

Brunson got away with at least 3-5 of the Trae Young fouls (which has been outlawed), for a start. I was behind one of the baskets for Game 6 - it is a JOKE that DDV only had one foul called on him…while he acts like he was SHOT on that so-called “foul” on Turner.

Knicks fans should just STFU and accept the whistle they have been getting.

Seriously.

6ers fans whining about the refs might be funnier than Lakers fans complaining about the refs :lol:

sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#209 » by sol537 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:18 pm

According to the 2min report… 2 missed called for each side. Balances out.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,215

Post#210 » by Capn'O » Tue May 7, 2024 9:21 pm

bishnykfan wrote:Basketball is an incredibly difficult game to officiate at any level. The NBA is the premier league and should have the best referees. Saying that, they all are bad at their jobs. Not because they are "rigging" the game but because the game is so fast and so physical, it is nearly impossible to get the majority of calls correct. The Knicks got the benefit of some of those incorrect calls last night but they got calls wrong for both teams.

Watching live, I thought Brunson dribbled the ball out of bounds 22 seconds left. The refs gave the ball to Indy (incorrectly) and if NY didn't have a challenge, NY fans would be the ones saying they were robbed. Watching live, I thought it was a kicked ball on Indy. Not until you see a replay do you realize that it wasn't off Brunson and it wasn't a kicked ball. Why the league doesn't allow a kicked ball to be reviewed is a good question.

The illegal screen was a horrid call as far as I'm concerned. Referee has to swallow his whistle on that play unless there is a completely egregious moving screen. To me, that was the one call that ruined a really great game. Let that play play out and who knows what happens.

Anyway you look at it, Knicks got a break last night. But as I tell my HS team, don't put yourself into a position to let the refs decide a game, because they are all bad. Every losing team will always be able to look at a couple of calls that went against them and use that as an excuse.

Last night was a great game, it's a shame that people will only talk about the officiating.

Reading between the lines here... Jokic got a crazy whistle in my series with mpharris?

:D
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#211 » by Tron Carter » Tue May 7, 2024 9:22 pm

Read on Twitter

but but but you can’t make that call in that situation right? where are my “the league is rigged” conspiracy theorists at?
R.I.P Black Mamba
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,677

Post#212 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:22 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

In the finals wasn't the FT advantage for Wade something ridiculous? I absolutely believe the Mavs got screwed that year, wasn't that the year cuban had to pay a 500,000 fine

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#213 » by Tron Carter » Tue May 7, 2024 9:23 pm

sol537 wrote:According to the 2min report… 2 missed called for each side. Balances out.

not allowed. doesn’t fit the narrative
R.I.P Black Mamba
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,677

Post#214 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:26 pm

you should be able to review a kick ball call, especially in the last two minutes. I'd rather get the call right and delay the game, rather than keeping the flow of a game while getting the call wrong. A wrong call impacts the game way more than any amount of time delay

In Raptor Ball I Trust
cgf
RealGM

Post#215 » by cgf » Tue May 7, 2024 9:33 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Read on Twitter

but but but you can’t make that call in that situation right? where are my “the league is rigged” conspiracy theorists at?

That is an incorrect nocall...but tbh I care more about the league being consistent about calling/not-calling that than which way they decide. I'd rather it be gone, but since it's allowed so often, I'd be pissed if that call went against us :dontknow:

Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,276

Post#216 » by Edrees » Tue May 7, 2024 10:09 pm

I get why some calls can't be reviewed in the regular season, but the NBA should just let you review any call in the playoffs.

DreamTeam09 wrote:you should be able to review a kick ball call, especially in the last two minutes. I'd rather get the call right and delay the game, rather than keeping the flow of a game while getting the call wrong. A wrong call impacts the game way more than any amount of time delay

You can have it both ways. The time delay I think is really for the regular season. Just keep the rule the same in the season and let ou review any play in existence in the post season. Kind of how like the NFL lets games go to a tie (in the interest of time) in regular season but in the playoffs you can't tie. Same idea.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,744

Post#217 » by srhcan » Tue May 7, 2024 10:10 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Read on Twitter

that was just Turner punishing DDV for his earlier flopping acting :lol:
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,357

Post#218 » by picc » Tue May 7, 2024 10:12 pm

Oh so they ignored all the moving screens that happen every possession throughout every NBA game, but called the one that decided it?

Yeah I guess that evens out. Nevermind.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#219 » by omerome » Tue May 7, 2024 10:14 pm

picc wrote:Oh so they ignored all the moving screens that happen every possession throughout every NBA game, but called the one that decided it?

Yeah I guess that evens out. Nevermind.

Aint no one said that the refs did a good job. They are consistent...ly bad.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,357

Post#220 » by picc » Tue May 7, 2024 10:22 pm

Players are in the key more than 3 seconds literally every possession.

Players move on screens literally every possession.

Pretending this "evens out" with a ref imagining a kick ball, after imagining a foul on Haliburton the previous play, and then suddenly calling something that never gets called with 10 seconds left is laughable. If it was a 5 minute report, there are probably 20 other non-calls on both teams for the same things. Who cares?

Don't get me wrong, none of this matters in the least. The series score will not change and we won't be talking about this in a week. I couldn't give less of a **** about either the Knicks or the Pacers. But until the next few games start we have nothing else to talk about.

So, might as well laugh at Knicks fans jedi mind tricking themselves into thinking the NBA transparently trying to cover their ass by noting non-calls on things that are never called, is somehow vindication for the worst sequence of one-sided officiating we've seen in a playoff game in a very long time.

Return to The General Board