Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,407

Re: Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team 

Post#221 » by HotRocks34 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:02 pm

Mares was very giddy last night after the win.

All smiles then.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,392

Post#222 » by Godymas » Sat May 11, 2024 2:10 pm

of all the journalism choices there ever was, this was certainly one of them
chudak
Senior
And1: 336

Post#223 » by chudak » Sat May 11, 2024 2:21 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Now I want to say this -- Denver went through some apparent changes this year in that they seemed to be trying to be less Jokic-centered as the season wore on and opponents started to refine how they worked to take away Jokic.

Jokic had a period of time during the season when he was struggling and he felt like he wasn't getting foul calls.

Over time, the approach seemed to be less "Takeover Jokic" and more "use Jokic with increased frequency as a decoy and make defenses pay for loading up against Jokic."

Jokic looking passive now, IMO, has a lot to do with adjusting to that style. He expects to get swarmed now and he is trying to find open guys and avoid offensive fouls.

The strategy can't work with Murray hurt, other ball handlers are scarce, etc. If the defense sells out on Jokic, the others have to exploit it.

The problem is that Murray is hurt, and Minny's recovery is so good that they have been able to both swarm and get back to their man. It's impressive.

Also, Minny has been picking up some full court and that has wrecked Denver's offense by draining the shot clock as well as it's exposed Denver's lack of ballhandlers.

There are real issues here. Minny deserves all the credit but Denver needs solutions.

And the solutions may not reside in the current roster, or the core of that roster.

Denver's front office has to figure out if they feel the current core can handle what Minny is doing to them now, as the team moves into the future.

I understand where OP is coming from but I do not see the logic between blowing it up.

The team has a well balanced starting 5 with championship experience and except KCP all of them are on a similar timeline and the 3 x MVP

Nuggets have 2 problems:

1) bench depth/versatility

2) injury history of Murray and MPJ

Last year Minny was their toughest opponent too and Minny has more experience now and had injuries last years

Last year Nuggets had more bench versatility with Brown, Green and Braun vs Watson, Jackson and Braun. There is no one on the bench now you trust to change the team makeup or play 30 minutes

and who are you getting for MPJ\Murray and picks to fit better or remove these problems?

Give them a veteran big of the bench and a bruce brown / Nickel Alexander Walker lucky MLE signing and they are fine
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,378

Post#224 » by hippesthippo » Sat May 11, 2024 2:26 pm

pontius wrote:Get a proper backup center, a reliable PG, and a couple of shooters for the bench. 

This is literally on every team's off-season to-do list. You might as well add a 3-D guy that can guard big wings to the list as well.

If the Nuggets fail, the first thing they need is a Coach who isn't as stubborn as Malone.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 986

Post#225 » by LaLover11 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:31 pm

Nuggets should fire Malone

So the Lakers could hire him :rockon:
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,009

Post#226 » by AleksandarN » Sat May 11, 2024 3:19 pm

LaLover11 wrote:Nuggets should fire Malone

Yeah I agree the Lakers need a Daddy figure. The only problem he isn’t leaving Denver
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#227 » by AleksandarN » Sat May 11, 2024 3:22 pm

chudak wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Now I want to say this -- Denver went through some apparent changes this year in that they seemed to be trying to be less Jokic-centered as the season wore on and opponents started to refine how they worked to take away Jokic.

Jokic had a period of time during the season when he was struggling and he felt like he wasn't getting foul calls.

Over time, the approach seemed to be less "Takeover Jokic" and more "use Jokic with increased frequency as a decoy and make defenses pay for loading up against Jokic."

Jokic looking passive now, IMO, has a lot to do with adjusting to that style. He expects to get swarmed now and he is trying to find open guys and avoid offensive fouls.

The strategy can't work with Murray hurt, other ball handlers are scarce, etc. If the defense sells out on Jokic, the others have to exploit it.

The problem is that Murray is hurt, and Minny's recovery is so good that they have been able to both swarm and get back to their man. It's impressive.

Also, Minny has been picking up some full court and that has wrecked Denver's offense by draining the shot clock as well as it's exposed Denver's lack of ballhandlers.

There are real issues here. Minny deserves all the credit but Denver needs solutions.

And the solutions may not reside in the current roster, or the core of that roster.

Denver's front office has to figure out if they feel the current core can handle what Minny is doing to them now, as the team moves into the future.

I understand where OP is coming from but I do not see the logic between blowing it up.

The team has a well balanced starting 5 with championship experience and except KCP all of them are on a similar timeline and the 3 x MVP

Nuggets have 2 problems:

Last year Minny was their toughest opponent too and Minny has more experience now and had injuries last years

Last year Nuggets had more bench versatility with Brown, Green and Braun vs Watson, Jackson and Braun. There is no one on the bench now you trust to change the team makeup or play 30 minutes

and who are you getting for MPJ\Murray and picks to fit better or remove these problems?

Give them a veteran big of the bench and a bruce brown / Nickel Alexander Walker lucky MLE signing and they are fine

The problem with the young guys on Denver’s bench is Malone didn’t give them enough time to develop during the year. Players like strather and Peyton. Give them another offseason to develop and you will see an even better Nuggets bench next year
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#228 » by LaLover11 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:28 pm

AleksandarN wrote:

Yeah I agree the Lakers need a Daddy figure. The only problem he isn’t leaving Denver

Why you gotta be so rude :kiss
JM00n69
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#229 » by JM00n69 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:11 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
chudak wrote:

Nuggets have 2 problems:

The problem with the young guys on Denver’s bench is Malone didn’t give them enough time to develop during the year. Players like strather and Peyton. Give them another offseason to develop and you will see an even better Nuggets bench next year

Wrong. Payton especially played plenty during the start of the season and was the main bright spot off the bench. Amazing defense and he knocked down his threes start of the season at a really good clip. Regressed to the mean after the hot start but was always a great defender and would slash/showed a lot of confidence on offence taking the shot when open. He outplayed Braun and deservedly got more minutes during the season.

It's the playoffs now though, PWat has seen his minutes decline and Braun is eating them. Both good defenders off the bench but Braun has been more consistent in with his decision making. He had a bigger role last year in the playoffs/had some great games and he's been better this year as well. Only so many minutes to go around these playoffs. They'll both be great players in time.
JM00n69
Sophomore

Post#230 » by JM00n69 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:16 pm

Also Strather was in the rotation first half of the season when Murray was out. He played OK, streaky shooter but not much size and defense. Had a couple of really good games. But he's a rookie. He'll get better but Holiday is more experienced and better, much better option over him now.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#231 » by AleksandarN » Sat May 11, 2024 4:35 pm

JM00n69 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
chudak wrote:

Nuggets have 2 problems:

Wrong. Payton especially played plenty during the start of the season and was the main bright spot off the bench. Amazing defense and he knocked down his threes start of the season at a really good clip. Regressed to the mean after the hot start but was always a great defender and would slash/showed a lot of confidence on offence taking the shot when open. He outplayed Braun and deservedly got more minutes during the season.

It's the playoffs now though, PWat has seen his minutes decline and Braun is eating them. Both good defenders off the bench but Braun has been more consistent in with his decision making. He had a bigger role last year in the playoffs/had some great games and he's been better this year as well. Only so many minutes to go around these playoffs. They'll both be great players in time.

Peyton needed more time in the regular season. His talents warranted it. But that’s me I am super high on Peyton.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#232 » by AleksandarN » Sat May 11, 2024 4:40 pm

JM00n69 wrote:Also Strather was in the rotation first half of the season when Murray was out. He played OK, streaky shooter but not much size and defense. Had a couple of really good games. But he's a rookie. He'll get better but Holiday is more experienced and better, much better option over him now.

Of course Holiday should play right now. Experience is gain through minutes. Which is why next year you will see an even better bench from the Nuggets
JM00n69
Sophomore

Post#233 » by JM00n69 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:11 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
JM00n69 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:The problem with the young guys on Denver’s bench is Malone didn’t give them enough time to develop during the year. Players like strather and Peyton. Give them another offseason to develop and you will see an even better Nuggets bench next year

Peyton needed more time in the regular season. His talents warranted it. But that’s me I am super high on Peyton.

I'm absolutely high on Watson. He showed some potential last year in limited minutes and has been better that I though this year. I watched most of Nugs games this season. Felt like PWat was the main guy off the bench tbh. Deservedly so as he outplayed Braun from the start. Obviously his defense but he was much better executing on offense than Braun who was very hesitant to take shots or drive/make decisions with the ball. Both are about the same player really but Braun has been on better form last few games so ride him.
JM00n69
Sophomore

Post#234 » by JM00n69 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:14 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
JM00n69 wrote:Also Strather was in the rotation first half of the season when Murray was out. He played OK, streaky shooter but not much size and defense. Had a couple of really good games. But he's a rookie. He'll get better but Holiday is more experienced and better, much better option over him now.

Of course Holiday should play right now. Experience is gain through minutes. Which is why next year you will see an even better bench from the Nuggets

100%. Malone is one of the coaches that makes the rookies earn their minutes. Watson improved a lot more than I though, Braun a bit less and I expect Julian to get his chance next year.
chudak
Senior
And1: 336

Post#235 » by chudak » Sat May 11, 2024 7:30 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
chudak wrote:

Nuggets have 2 problems:

This is possible

Cant say if this is due to Malone not giving them a chance or due to them not deserving it but growth from within in this regards was expected and is still possible

Also I was pleasently surprised that MPJ and the starting 5 were able to handle the minutes they played both in regular season and playoffs so far
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#236 » by Alatan » Sat May 11, 2024 8:12 pm

Id love to see AG traded for some SF with more range/better shooter. People think he is some lock down defender while in reality he is pretty average on defense.

Id also love to see someone more consistent than Murray at the point of attack role. I hate watching him struggle to chuck dumb shots all game and then get praised when he gets hot for 5 minutes.

Apart from that id love if Malone had a better assistant coach to make better offensive schemes. When Finch was in Denver they played the most beautiful offense...
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,867

Post#237 » by jkvonny » Sat May 11, 2024 8:45 pm

Then fire him in 2 years?

Nah, he's better off staying at Denver lol
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#238 » by LaLover11 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:53 pm

Alatan wrote:Id love to see AG traded for some SF with more range/better shooter. People think he is some lock down defender while in reality he is pretty average on defense.

Id also love to see someone more consistent than Murray at the point of attack role. I hate watching him struggle to chuck dumb shots all game and then get praised when he gets hot for 5 minutes.

Apart from that id love if Malone had a better assistant coach to make better offensive schemes. When Finch was in Denver they played the most beautiful offense...

LeBron & Reaves for Murray & AG

You get your better shooting SF & Reaves who's more consistent and can attack.

JJ Reddick for offensive assistant coach

8-)
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#239 » by Alatan » Sat May 11, 2024 9:33 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
Alatan wrote:Id love to see AG traded for some SF with more range/better shooter. People think he is some lock down defender while in reality he is pretty average on defense.

8-)

Id be down for it, even as i hate watching Reaves flop his little arms around trying to bait the refs.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,249

Post#240 » by Wallace_Wallace » Sat May 11, 2024 9:50 pm

Alatan wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

8-)

Id be down for it, even as i hate watching Reaves flop his little arms around trying to bait the refs.

Assuming they don’t win (or KCP opts out), these are some of the few players I could see fitting into the Denver culture:

1. Mikal Bridges. Ironman with one of the best offball movement in the game, he would get so many points just through cutting. Also an incredible defender on the perimeter. Gordon/Bridges straight up, but there’s no incentive for the Nets besides the fact that Gordon will opt out of his player option after next season (saves money).

2. Herb Jones. A pitbull type defender who really improved his shooting this season. I could see a scenario of Jones/Alvarado for Gordon/filler.

3. Evan Mobley. One of the most versatile (and dominant) defenders since he’s been in the league. This would likely cost Denver MPJ/picks. While Denver would improve defensive, their offense would take a major hit.

4. If the Hawks were to blow it up and do a fire sale, I would see what the combination of Clint Capela and De’Andre Hunter would cost the Nuggets. While Hunter may not provide everything Gordon provides, Denver nets a desperately needed a backup center. If Capela doesn’t workout, his contract expires the season after.

Return to The General Board