2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the ECFs?

Celtics in 4
24%
Celtics in 5
47%
Celtics in 6
15%
Celtics in 7
2%
Cavaliers in 4
1%
Cavaliers in 5
2%
Cavaliers in 6
5%
Cavaliers in 7
4%

Total votes: 258

GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,650

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 2-1) 

Post#2221 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 14, 2024 1:45 am

DowJones wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
DowJones wrote:
He needs to convince himself that Boston really is THAT good, and the only way to do that after watching the C's in round 2 is to believe that the Zinger is anything other than a really nice role player. Instead Boston is a good team, but not dominant. They certainly aren't that 64-win team they thought they re the regular season.

No I just happen to know what I’m talking about because I watched the team all year.

Porzingis makes this team far more potent offensively.

Did you even watch the game tonight?

If the Celtics relied on 37 year old Al Horford all season they wouldn’t have sniffed 64 wins in the regular season.

Clueless **** post.

You are talking about the regular season as if it matters. It doesn't. The Zinger is a really nice player, and Boston would be better with him, but Cleveland was missing Mitchell and Allen tonight. Allen, at worst, is equal to Zinger. The Heat were without Butler, Rozier, and had 50% of Duncan Robinson. Stop trying to make the Zinger out to be someone he isn't. He aint that guy.

All I’m saying is that with the way this team is constructed, Porzingis is very important and a ceiling raiser.

Horford is close to toast offensively when required to play heavy minutes.

Porzingis’ shooting and size provides an offensive threat that opens up the offence for Tatum, Brown etc.

If Porzingis wasn’t there all season, the Celtics would have had far more close games in the regular season and nowhere near as dominant, just like in this series. Not a difficult concept to understand.

I’m also not sure how many more times we have to watch one of Garland/Mitchell missing and/or Allen/Mobley and watch the other guys play better to realise that the Cavs when healthy are a horrible mix.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,692

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 2-1) 

Post#2222 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:47 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Should have swapped Garland for OG but obviously hard to do that when 1) you don't know if Mitchell will stay and 2) OG won't give you a commitment to stay.

Yeah, imagine how pretty our bench would look with Allen, Mitchell, and O.G. all wearing street clothes on it.

Having OG, Mobley and Allen on the same team would be pretty ridiculous though.

It wouldn't work. O.G. is very limited offensively. Think if Mobley doesn't improve at all offensively and is 26 instead of 22.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,338

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 3-1) 

Post#2223 » by Zaschrona » Tue May 14, 2024 1:49 am

durden_tyler wrote:So the Celtics cheering for Knicks-Cavs to go full seven for maximum rest and if that happens, is Porzingis able to return in time for ECF Game 1? Boston fans?

Unlikely. But word is he could return during ECF. We better not rush him in because I feel we have decent chance to win the East even without him, but we almost surely won't win the title without him in the FInals.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2224 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 14, 2024 1:49 am

Dubnation wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:
Nice strawman you've built there.

So what do you want from them? To sweep each series and have an average winning margin higher than 20 per game?

As I said, 8-2 in the playoffs, average winning margin of 17 points per game after todays game haha.

Insane

Yes, now you're getting it! :wink:

That’s quite hilarious.

The KD Warriors didn’t even do that.

The expectations when it comes to this team are ridiculous
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 3-1) 

Post#2225 » by jfs1000d » Tue May 14, 2024 1:50 am

CelticSooner wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
CelticSooner wrote:There is something mentally dumb about this core. Mazzulla isn’t helping them much either.

Team is fine. Joe been good this playoffs. Not his fault Horford can’t make a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Horford can't a shot and can't defend a chair yet Tillman can't get any run? Kornet is better defender then Horford now.

I am not opposed to Tillman minutes. Al is playing too much, i think Joe Trusts him more than anyone else. I don’t know. Not a lot of choices. Horford is playing too much but I will take the experience at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2226 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 14, 2024 1:53 am

If I’m the Cavs I think I’m probably fine with Mitchell going.

Garland always impresses me when he has the keys to the offence, he just looks lost next to Mitchell.

Use the Mitchell money putting better role players around Garland etc.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,545

Post#2227 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 14, 2024 1:53 am

Zaschrona wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:So the Celtics cheering for Knicks-Cavs to go full seven for maximum rest and if that happens, is Porzingis able to return in time for ECF Game 1? Boston fans?

Unlikely. But word is he could return during ECF. We better not rush him in because I feel we have decent chance to win the East even without him, but we almost surely won't win the title without him in the FInals.

Yes agree that you don't need him for the ECF (a banged up Knicks or an immature Pacers squad) and you're big favorites there anyway.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,517

Post#2228 » by Dubnation » Tue May 14, 2024 1:57 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Dubnation wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
So what do you want from them? To sweep each series and have an average winning margin higher than 20 per game?

As I said, 8-2 in the playoffs, average winning margin of 17 points per game after todays game haha.

Insane

That’s quite hilarious.

The Dubs are in the West. Not even a close comparison. :lol:
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,763

Post#2229 » by CoP » Tue May 14, 2024 2:00 am

Impressive fight by the Cavs there.

Don't care the opponent, it was still good as a Celtics fan to see them continue to fight and hold off the comeback
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2230 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 am

Dubnation wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Dubnation wrote:

That’s quite hilarious.

The Dubs are in the West. Not even a close comparison. :lol:

No it is actually.

Get out of here with that West BS.

They were miles better than every other team in the NBA when healthy with KD and they still didn’t win every game by 20+.

Take 2019 for example.

They went six games in the first round against a Clippers starting five consisting of Pat Bev, a very young SGA, Gallinari, Shamet and Zubac.

Don’t try to sit here and tell me that team is better than this current Cavs one.

They couldn’t even sweep and smoke that garbage Clippers team yet Boston is meant to 16-0 through the East while winning every game by 20+.

:crazy:
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,988

Post#2231 » by AussieCeltic » Tue May 14, 2024 2:02 am

SportsGuru08 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:
I already explained. You just weren't paying attention and I'm not interested in repeating myself to blind fanboys.

You didn’t explain. You said you weren’t impressed.

So with opposition teams having a few injuries to key players and Celtics to KP, what would it take to impress you? Because 8-2 with a winning margin of 17 per game doesn’t. So what do they have to do impress you? Because they can’t change their opponent

I explained earlier this thread. Not my fault you weren't paying attention then.

In the time it took you to reply you could’ve said it but you know it’s idiotic so you don’t want to say it again. Congrats champ
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
SportsGuru08
Rookie
And1: 911

Post#2232 » by SportsGuru08 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
You didn’t explain. You said you weren’t impressed.

So with opposition teams having a few injuries to key players and Celtics to KP, what would it take to impress you? Because 8-2 with a winning margin of 17 per game doesn’t. So what do they have to do impress you? Because they can’t change their opponent

I explained earlier this thread. Not my fault you weren't paying attention then.

In the time it took you to reply you could’ve said it but you know it’s idiotic so you don’t want to say it again. Congrats champ

Since you're apparently too lazy to do your own digging, I'll just leave a quick and simple explanation for your middle-school level brain to understand

I'll be impressed when
A). They stop playing down to their competition
B). They beat someone actually worth a damn
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,214

Post#2233 » by UNCBlue012 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 am

Boston did that thing where they clearly didn't take the game seriously. I'm glad they got the win, but goodness...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,692

Post#2234 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:09 am

I still don't understand that one reversal on the Horford/Garland foul. If you can go through the offensive player's body to get a "clean" block, why not do it every time?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
AussieCeltic
RealGM

Post#2235 » by AussieCeltic » Tue May 14, 2024 2:15 am

SportsGuru08 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:

Since you're apparently too lazy to do your own digging, I'll just leave a quick and simple explanation for your middle-school level brain to understand

I'll be impressed when

A: So winning by an average margin of 17 points in the playoffs is playing down to their competition?

B: They can’t choose their competition.

It’s like saying Denver’s run last year wasn’t impressive because they faced 2x #8 seeds, a #7 seed and a #4 seed.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
SportsGuru08
Rookie

Post#2236 » by SportsGuru08 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:17 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:

I'll be impressed when

A: So winning by an average margin of 17 points in the playoffs is playing down to their competition?

It’s like saying Denver’s run last year wasn’t impressive because they faced 2x #8 seeds, a #7 seed and a #4 seed.

A. The fact they've lost any games at all to these garbage opponents means they've played down to their competition

B. This is just an excuse. The fact remains they haven't faced anyone worth a damn and won't for the remainder of the Eastern playoffs. Period. Cut and dry. End of story. Bye bye.

And yes Denver's run wasn't impressive since they didn't face a single team that won more than 45 games
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,545

Post#2237 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 14, 2024 2:21 am

UNCBlue012 wrote:Boston did that thing where they clearly didn't take the game seriously. I'm glad they got the win, but goodness...

You could see they were targetting that 7.5 spread late. LOL
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,723

Post#2238 » by shi-woo » Tue May 14, 2024 2:22 am

docholliday99 wrote:
Zaschrona wrote:
KazuoOda wrote:The refs helped you

A few calls possibly helped us, but maybe it would also help you to shoot less threes. Can't expect many calls around the line.

Caught the start of the game but called away, were the Cavs that passive? Maybe some questionable calls but those always happen, I’m more curious as the calls were really lopsided - were Cavs not driving tonight?

Naa Cavs just needed to live by the 3 or die by the 3. Garland drove, and Mobley had some plays down low, but you aren't getting that from Okoro Strus or LeVert.

Celtics def had the better whistle though, no denying that. There were a lot of mediocre calls which led to easy points tonight for Boston
AussieCeltic
RealGM

Post#2239 » by AussieCeltic » Tue May 14, 2024 2:23 am

SportsGuru08 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:

I'll be impressed when

A. The fact they've lost any games at all to these garbage opponents means they've played down to their competition

B. This is just an excuse. The fact remains they haven't faced anyone worth a damn and won't for the remainder of the Eastern playoffs. Period. Cut and dry. End of story. Bye bye.

And yes Denver's run wasn't impressive since they didn't face a single team that won more than 45 games

Not much of a guru are you?

Magic fans wouldn’t know what impressive looks like so that’s understandable.
SportsGuru08
Rookie

Post#2240 » by SportsGuru08 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:28 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:

Not much of a guru are you?

Magic fans wouldn’t know what impressive looks like so that’s understandable.

And Celtics fans think everything they do is impressive. If you guys beat a high school team in a preseason game, you'd start acting like you just won the championship.

Return to The General Board