[Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,080

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#241 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:32 am

-Luke- wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
-Luke- wrote:In the same season?

No. At different points in their careers.

Harden and McHale come to mind.

Correct!!

Who else?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,064

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#242 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:38 am

-Luke- wrote:
No. At different points in their careers.

Harden and McHale come to mind.

Correct!!

Who else?

Hmm, I think Schrempf made one or two All-NBA teams, but I can't see him getting to a first team.

Did Manu ever make a first team? He's the only other 6th Man that comes to mind that would've deserved it. But I doubt he made one due to limited playing time.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#243 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 am

-Luke- wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Harden and McHale come to mind.

Correct!!

Who else?

Hmm, I think Schrempf made one or two All-NBA teams, but I can't see him getting to a first team.

Did Manu ever make a first team? He's the only other 6th Man that comes to mind that would've deserved it. But I doubt he made one due to limited playing time.

Not who I had in mind, and I agree with your doubts.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#244 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:44 am

-Luke- wrote:
Correct!!

Who else?

Okay, I looked up Schrempf and Manu. Schrempf made one third team and Manu two third teams. So not them.

I can't think of anybody else.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#245 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:51 am

-Luke- wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Hmm, I think Schrempf made one or two All-NBA teams, but I can't see him getting to a first team.

Okay, I looked up Schrempf and Manu. Schrempf made one third team and Manu two third teams. So not them.

Hint: Not only did he make All-NBA First Team; he was league MVP.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#246 » by -Luke- » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:55 am

-Luke- wrote:

Wait, did Kobe win 6th Man of the Year? He came off the bench early in his career. I can't remember him winning one though.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,407

Post#247 » by magee » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:03 am

Didn't Harden win 6th Man with the Thunder?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#248 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:06 am

-Luke- wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Okay, I looked up Schrempf and Manu. Schrempf made one third team and Manu two third teams. So not them.

Wait, did Kobe win 6th Man of the Year? He came off the bench early in his career. I can't remember him winning one though.

No.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#249 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 am

magee wrote:Didn't Harden win 6th Man with the Thunder?

Yep. Already covered. We got McHale too, who was a top-5 player in the league by accolades (MVP voting rank, all-NBA) but not top-1.

Now we're looking for another guy who was top-1 in the NBA by accolades and 6MotY at different points in his career.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,509

Post#250 » by ellobo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:17 am

-Luke- wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Open-ended:

Which NBA team executives played in the top pro league of another sport?

I can think of one obvious example, but perhaps there are more.

Same question for NBA head coaches.

I can think of two examples.

I can only think of Danny Ainge. No idea who the coaches are.

Dave Debusschere played Major League Baseball for the White Sox. Beside being a hall of fame NBA player, he was also an NBA coach and executive (and league commissioner of the ABA for a year before the merger).
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,977
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Post#251 » by Rich Michmond » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:56 am

Yep. Already covered. We got McHale too, who was a top-5 player in the league by accolades (MVP voting rank, all-NBA) but not top-1.

Now we're looking for another guy who was top-1 in the NBA by accolades and 6MotY at different points in his career.

Bill Walton
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#252 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:05 am

Rich Michmond wrote:

Bill Walton

Correct!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#253 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:14 am

"____ and I are the only brother combination in history to ever play in the Super Bowl and to win the NBA championship."

I just found that quote, and would have had no idea who said it. Can any of you actually guess?
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,513

Post#254 » by Buckets22 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:39 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:"____ and I are the only brother combination in history to ever play in the Super Bowl and to win the NBA championship."

I just found that quote, and would have had no idea who said it. Can any of you actually guess?

Hah, same player as above - Bill and Bruce Walton :lol:

How about it...not an actual quote.

I played for two Georgias and hit a game winner for the Utah Jazz.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#255 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:47 pm

Buckets22 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:"____ and I are the only brother combination in history to ever play in the Super Bowl and to win the NBA championship."

Correct!

While we're at it, I'm not sure we ever resolved a question long ago, along the lines of one HoF player's name being embedded in another's. The intended answer was that Bill Sharman's full name was William Walton Sharman.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,632

Post#256 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:11 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Who has been both 6th Man of the Year and All-NBA First Team?

Note: The 6MotY award was introduced in the early 1980s. So John Havlicek never won it. :)

McHale, Walton, Harden.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#257 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:13 pm

-Luke- wrote:Another one. What do these four players have in common?

Maurice Cheeks
David Robinson
Dwight Howard
Joakim Noah

I have no idea. I looked this up for 10 minutes and couldn't find anything in common.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#258 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:20 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:What is the most common last initiai for #1 overall picks?

What letter has been the last initial for 4 guys picked #1 overall, yet for fewer than 100 NBA players in total?

1. Seems to me it's the letter "B".

2. I think it should be the letter "O": O'Neal, Oden, Olowokandi, Olajuwon.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#259 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:28 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:What is the most common last initiai for #1 overall picks?

What letter has been the last initial for 4 guys picked #1 overall, yet for fewer than 100 NBA players in total?

1. Seems to me it's the letter "B".

2. I think it should be the letter "O": O'Neal, Oden, Olowokandi, Olajuwon.

Correct on #2! 2 of them on the GOAT lists. 2 of them legendary busts.

And very correct on #1!!. There have been 11 Bs, which I had some how overlooked. The letter I was thinking of is in second place with 9.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#260 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:33 pm

Buckets22 wrote:

Shandon Anderson is my guess.

Return to The General Board